PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Necromancy Powers / Necromancer Base Class (PEACH)

mikeejimbo
2010-04-07, 01:32 PM
This is a set of powers (and some feats) I have developed, intended for the Wizard to turn it into a zombie-summoner class. The powers may need a bit of balancing themselves, but more of a concern is how it would interact with the Summoning feats already in place, in addition to things like Tome of Binding and Summoner's Staff. I think Tome of Binding won't affect anything adversely if I allow it to interact directly with the summoned zombies. I do however have a feat that, if it stacked with the Tome of Binding, would provide way too many temporary hit points for your summoned zombies. However, since they are temporary hit points, they shouldn't stack, as the rules are written.

I am almost thinking that I should expand this into a base class (The Necromancer) instead of keeping it as a Wizard option - this would force people who want to stack all the summoning feats together to go through even more hoops just to get them.

The crux of the necromancy flavor is that zombies are summoned almost exactly the same way as normal summoned creatures, with a number of important differences. The most important difference is that there is an At-Will class feature for the Wizard (that replaces Arcane Implement Mastery) that allows him to summon a Minion-level zombie when another creature dies. However he is limited to between two to four of these at any one time, depending on level and feat selection. Unlike normal summoned creatures, however, the Wizard does NOT lose a Healing Surge when they die, which is fortunate because they are, after all, Minions.

The other differences are in the non-Minion zombies the Wizard can summon. For these, he does NOT lose a Healing Surge when they DIE, but instead must spend the Healing Surge up front, merely to summon them. Additionally, they must be summoned in a square adjacent to the Wizard, rather than at a range.

However, for both of these drawbacks, there is a major benefit to all these zombies Minion and non-Minion alike: There are powers that can be used through them, much like a Shaman's Spirit Companion.

I've had a few people look over the powers, and they say that they think they are balanced, if not underpowered. I feel like a few of them are too powerful, but I'm going to post them all as I have them now so you can see for yourself.

The powers will explain everything:

Class Feature: Zombie Leadership

Zombie Leadership replaces your Arcane Implement Mastery.

A zombie leader is a sort of type of warlord, only the troops he or she commands are the unliving. By maneuvering them around the battlefield, he or she can flank with allies, cause distractions and guide the enemy to where he or she wants them.

Benefit: If you have no Zombie minion currently active, you may, as a Standard Action, summon a single Zombie Minion in a square adjacent to you. This Minion follows all the normal rules of your Zombie Minions, including counting against your limit.

Additionally, you gain the following power as a class feature:

Animate Zombie Minion (Wizard Class Feature 1)
Drawing on the energy released at death, you create a minion under your command.
At-Will * Arcane, Implement, Summoning
Immediate Reaction | Close burst 10
Trigger: A creature in the burst other than a zombie under your or another Wizard’s control dies.
Effect: You summon a medium zombie minion in one of the squares which the triggering creature had previously occupied. You are then dazed until the end of your next turn. The zombie minion has move 5 and follows the normal rules for summoned creatures except it is a minion, possessing only one hit point, but taking no damage on a miss. It also cannot gain temporary hit points. Additionally, you do not expend a healing surge or take damage when the minion dies.
As a standard action, you may give the minion the following special command:
Standard Action Melee 1
Target: One creature
Attack: Intelligence vs. AC
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier damage
Increase to 2d6 + Intelligence modifier damage at 21st level.
Special: This counts as its melee basic attack.
Special: You may only have two minions active at once. (Three at 16th level or above.) Additionally, whenever you give an action to a minion, all of your currently active minions may take that action.

Zombie attacks: A power with a range including the word “zombie” means that the range is measured from any zombie under your control. For example, a melee zombie power means a zombie may make a melee attack, while a Ranged zombie 5 power means it may make an attack with a range of 5.

Powers

Zombie Claws (Wizard Attack 1)
Your undead creation obeys your command and then proves itself to be more agile than your enemies would guess.
At-Will * Arcane, Implement, Zombie
Standard Action | Melee zombie 1
Hit: 1d8 + Intelligence modifier damage and you may shift the zombie 1 square.
At level 21, increase damage to 2d8 + Intelligence modifier damage

Flailing Strike (Wizard Attack 1)
The beauty of the undead is that they can be reckless where you cannot.
Encounter * Arcane, Implement, Zombie
Target: One or two creatures
Attack: Intelligence vs. AC, one or two attacks against the same or different creatures
Hit: 1d8 + Intelligence modifier damage and target is dazed until the end of its next turn.

Deathly Explosion (Wizard Attack 1)
Even powerful necromancers who lead armies of the undead like when stuff blows up.
Daily * Arcane, Implement, Necrotic, Zombie
Standard Action | Close blast zombie 2
Target: All creatures in blast
Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
Hit: 3d6 + Intelligence modifier necrotic damage, ongoing 5 necrotic damage (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, no ongoing damage.
Effect: Destroy the zombie through which you cast this spell.

Sacrifice the Minion (Wizard Utility 2)
Because really, it’s what they’re for.
Encounter * Arcane
Immediate Interrupt | Ranged 5
Prerequisite: You must have a zombie within range
Trigger: You are hit with an attack
Effect: A zombie adjacent to you is hit with the attack instead. If there is no zombie adjacent to you, a zombie under your control within range moves adjacent to you first.

Acid Spit (Wizard Attack 3)
Disgusting, but effective!
Encounter * Acid, Arcane, Implement, Zombie
Standard Action | Ranged zombie 5
Hit: 1d8 + Intelligence modifier acid damage and target is blinded until the end of its next turn.

Undead General War Cry (Wizard Attack 5)
“The Raven Queen wears army boots!”
Daily * Arcane, Implement, Zombie[b]
[b]Standard Action
Effect: All zombies under your control may make the following attack:
Special: The zombie may shift 2 squares either before or after the attack.
Hit: 1d8 + Intelligence modifier damage

Cover Ally (Wizard Utility 6)
Like playing hot potato with Sovereign Glue!
Encounter * Arcane
Immediate Interrupt | Ranged 10
Prerequisite: You must have a zombie currently under your control and within 5 squares of the triggering creature to use this power.
Trigger: You or an ally within range is hit with an attack.
Effect: A zombie adjacent to the triggering creature is hit with the attack instead. If there is no zombie adjacent to the triggering creature, a zombie under your control within 5 squares of the triggering creature first moves adjacent to that creature.

Grappling Strike (Wizard Attack 7)
C’mere you big lug! Have a zombie hug!
Hit: 3d6 + Intelligence modifier damage, target is grabbed.

Create Minor Undead (Wizard Attack 9)
You have learned to tap directly into planes of death and negative energy. You tear substance from it to form a being under your command.
Daily * Arcane, Implement, Summoning
Standard Action
Effect: Summon a medium zombie with move 5 under your control in a space adjacent to you. It does not count against your minion limit, but you may only have one non-minion zombie under your control at once unless a power, feat or ability specifically allows otherwise. You expend a healing surge or take damage when this creature dies as normal for summoned creatures. As a standard action, you may give it the following special command:
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier damage.

Master’s Sacrifice (Wizard Utility 10)
Occasionally it is actually beneficial to keep your creations alive, even at a slight cost to your own health.
Encounter * Arcane, Healing
Standard Action | Personal
Prerequisite: You must have an unexpended healing surge to use this power.
Effect: Spend a healing surge. You do not gain the benefits from it, but a non-minion zombie under your control does.

Horde Charge (Wizard Attack 13)
Secretly, many generals of the undead wish that they were generals of the living.
Encounter * Arcane, Zombie
Effect: Each zombie under your control may make a charge attack or a basic melee attack.

Create Moderate Undead (Wizard Attack 15)
Your abilities to call on death energies improves greatly.
Standard Action
Effect: Summon a medium zombie with move 5 under your control in a space adjacent to you. It does not count against your minion limit, but you may only have one non-minion zombie under your control at once unless a power, feat or ability specifically allows otherwise. You expend a healing surge or take damage when this creature dies as normal for summoned creatures. As a standard action, you may give it the following special command:
Standard Action | Melee 1
Hit: 2d10 + Intelligence modifier damage.

Poisonous Barbs (Wizard Utility 16)
The best poisoned weapon is one you don’t have to personally apply the poison to.
Daily * Arcane, Poison
Effect: Until the end of your next turn, attacks made by your zombies deal an extra 1d4 + your Wisdom modifier poison damage.
Sustain Minor: The effect persists.

Whirlwind Claw Strike (Wizard Attack 17)
Screeching out a moan of terror and pain, your zombie strikes at all within its grasp.
Standard Action | Close blast zombie 1
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier damage and target is dazed until the end of its next turn.

Create Greater Undead (Wizard Attack 19)
You have become so accustomed to creating undead constructs that you find yourself able to do it almost as often as you wish – though channeling such energies is not without cost to your own body.
Standard Action
Effect: You expend a healing surge but do not gain the benefits of it. Summon a medium zombie with move 5 under your control in a space adjacent to you. It does not count against your minion limit, but you may only have one non-minion zombie under your control at once unless a power, feat or ability specifically allows otherwise. You do not expend a healing surge or take damage when this creature dies, unlike normal summoned creatures. As a standard action, you may give it the following special command:
Hit: 2d10 + Intelligence modifier damage and enemy is knocked prone.
Special: When this zombie is destroyed, you regain the use of this power.

Mortifying Feast (Wizard Utility 22)
A skilled necromancer is able to use even the energies of death and destruction to strengthen themselves.
Encounter * Arcane, Healing
Minor Action | Personal
Prerequisite: You must have a zombie under your control to use this power.
Effect: Destroy a zombie under your control. You may spend a healing surge and regain additional hit points equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Distracting Assault (Wizard Attack 23)
Your zombies unleash a relentless slashing attack that takes all the enemies’ attention to avoid.
Minor Action | Melee zombie 1
Hit: 3d6 + Intelligence modifier damage and target is dazed until the end of its next turn.
Effect: Until the end of your next turn, enemies adjacent to any of your zombies grant combat advantage to your allies.

Poison Bile (Wizard Attack 25)
A full stomach is a terrible thing to waste.
Daily * Arcane, Implement, Zombie
Standard Action | Close blast zombie 3
Hit: 3d8 + Intelligence modifier poison damage and 10 ongoing poison damage (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, 5 ongoing poison damage (save ends).

Vicious Rending (Encounter 27)
With deathly speed your zombie tears into an opponent.
Attack: Intelligence vs AC
Hit: 2d6+Intelligence modifier damage and 10 ongoing damage (save ends).
Special: You may repeat this attack twice more against the same or different targets. The ongoing damage does not stack if the same target is targeted more than once.

Summon Titanic Undead (Wizard Attack 29)
Raaaaaaaaaaaargh!
Standard Action | Close blast 2
Prerequisite: You must have at least one unexpended healing surge to use this power.
Hit: 3d8 + Intelligence modifier damage and you slide the target 2 squares to a square outside the blast.
Miss: Slide the target 2 squares to a square outside the blast.
Effect: Expend a healing surge but do not gain any benefits. You summon a large zombie with move 7 in the squares covered by the blast. It does not count against your minion limit, but you may only have one non-minion zombie under your control at once unless a power, feat or ability specifically allows otherwise. You do not expend a healing surge or take damage when this creature dies, unlike normal summoned creatures. As a standard action you may give it the following command:
Standard Action | Close blast 1
Hit: 3d8+ Intelligence modifier damage

Heroic Tier Feats

General of Undeath
Prerequisite: Wis 13, Zombie Leadership class feature
Benefit: You may have one more zombie minion than normally allowed.

Zombie Combat Expertise
Benefit: Zombies under your control gain a +1 feat bonus to all attacks they make. At level 11 this increases to +2 and at level 21 it increases to +3.

Zombie Defense
Benefit: Zombies under your control gain a +1 feat bonus to all defenses, including AC.

Paragon Tier Feats

Agile Creations
Prerequisite: Level 11, Dex 13, Zombie Leadership class feature
Benefit: Zombies under your control may make a melee basic attack as an opportunity attack whenever a creature adjacent to them takes an action that would provoke an opportunity attack.

Hardy Creations
Prerequisite: Level 11, Wis 13, Zombie Leadership class feature
Benefit: Your non-minion zombies are summoned with 5 + your Wisdom modifier temporary hit points.
Special: Increase this to 10 + your Wisdom modifier at level 21.

Negative Energy Imbuement
Prerequisite: Level 11, Wis 15
Benefit: As a free action you may switch your zombies’ damage type to necrotic or back.

Epic Tier Feats

Improved Zombie Defense
Prerequisite: Level 21, Wis 17, Zombie Defense
Benefit: The feat bonus to your Zombies’ defenses equals your Wisdom modifier.

Zombie Zookeeper
Prerequisite: Level 21, Wis 17, General of Undeath
Benefit: You may have up to two non-minion zombies under your control at once.

To see my Necromancer BASE class, see a few posts below! (I ran out of room to do it all on one post.)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-04-07, 06:49 PM
I love this so much that I'm going to use it for my next character!
However I have a few suggestions:
Make creating undead daily powers for each level:
Level 1: sommon skeletal minion
Level 7: sommon zombie minion
Ect.

mikeejimbo
2010-04-07, 10:21 PM
Not a bad idea.

How about the idea of making it a base class itself, instead of a Wizard option? My plan was to make Zombie Leadership one "build" and something like Vampirism as another build. I think I might have had a third idea, too. I'm thinking that this might be more viable. I've gone back and forth on this for a bit, though.

DiscipleofBob
2010-04-08, 10:46 AM
So far, both the Wizard variant and the Necromancer class look good, but I do see one large problem.

What happens when the Necromancer doesn't have any minions left? They have to wait for an enemy to die to even get their first. What happens if the enemies in question are ones the party wants to keep alive? I'd somehow give them a free minion of some sort so they aren't screwed.

mikeejimbo
2010-04-08, 01:17 PM
That's a good point. I don't think it would hurt anything to allow one free minion as long as it counted against their minion limit. I think that should be built into the Class Feature of Zombie Leadership for both the Wizard variant and the Necromancer base class.

More powers for the other Necromancer builds are coming soon, too.

Edit: My first post got too big. Whoops. Here is the Necromancer class.

Necromancer Base Class

For comparison sake, I'm going to include the ideas I had for the Necromancer base class as well. Many of the powers and feats will be the
same.

Class Traits

Role: Controller. Using your summoned zombies and a range of debilitating powers, you exert control on the battlefield through tactical maneuvering and hindering.
Power Source: Shadow. The dark energies of the Shadowfell power and animate your summoned creatures and your powers.
Key Abilities: Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma, Constitution

Armor Proficiencies: Cloth
Weapon Proficiencies: None
Implement: Rods, Wands

Bonus to Defense: +1 Will

Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + Constitution Score
Hit Points per Level Gained: 4
Healing Surges per Day: 8 + Constitution Modifier

Trained Skills: Arcana OR Religion. From the class skills list below, choose three more trained skills at 1st level.
Class Skills: Arcana (Int), Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Endurance (Con), History (Int), Insight (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Religion (Int).

Build Options: Deathtouch Necromancer, Vampiric Necromancer, Summoner Necromancer
Class Features: Necromantic Focus, Necromantic Ritualism, Summon Zombie Minion

Class Features

Necromantic Focus:

Choose one of the following: Deathtouch Focus, Vampirism Focus, or Zombie Leadership Focus

Deathtouch Focus

You gain Toughness as a bonus feat. Additionally, after every extended rest, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Constitution modifier. At level 11 this increases to 5 + your Constitution modifier and at level 21 it increases to 10 + your Constitution modifier.

Vampirism Focus

Whenever you score a critical hit or reduce an enemy to 0 or fewer hit points, you regain a number of hit points equal to your Charisma modifier. At level 21 this increases to 5 + your Charisma modifier

Zombie Leadership Focus

Attacks your zombies make or attacks you make through your zombies gain a +1 bonus. At level 15 this increases to +2, and at level 25 it increases to +3.

Necromantic Ritualism

You gain Ritual Caster as a bonus feat. Add Undead Servitor to your ritual book. Once per day you can cast Undead Servitor without expending material components.

Summon Zombie Minions

If you have no Zombie minion currently active, you may, as a Standard Action, summon a single Zombie Minion in a square adjacent to you. This Minion follows all the normal rules of your Zombie Minions, including counting against your limit.

Additionally, you gain the Animate Zombie Minion power as a class feature:

Animate Zombie Minion (Necromancer Class Feature 1)
Drawing on the energy released at death, you create a minion under your command.
At-Will * Implement, Shadow, Summoning
Immediate Reaction | Close burst 10
Trigger: A creature in the burst other than a zombie under your or another Wizard’s control dies.
Effect: You summon a medium zombie minion in one of the squares which the triggering creature had previously occupied. You are then dazed until the end of your next turn. The zombie minion has move 5 and follows the normal rules for summoned creatures except it is a minion, possessing only one hit point, but taking no damage on a miss. It also cannot gain temporary hit points. Additionally, you do not expend a healing surge or take damage when the minion dies.
As a standard action, you may give the minion the following special command:
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier damage
Increase to 2d6 + Intelligence modifier damage at 21st level.
Special: You may only have two minions active at once. (Three at 16th level or above.) Additionally, whenever you give an action to a minion, all of your currently active minions may take that action.

Powers

Level 1 At-Wills

Inflict Minor Wounds (Necromancer Attack 1)
With a touch you channel Shadow energy into a target.
At-Will * Shadow, Implement, Necrotic
Standard Action | Melee Touch
Attack: Intelligence vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d8 + Intelligence modifier necrotic damage.
At level 21, increase damage to 2d8 + Intelligence modifier
Special: This may be used as a melee basic attack
Deathtouch Focus: The target is also weakened until the end of its next turn.

Ray of Fatigue Necromancer Attack 1)
You fire a ray of Shadow energy that drains a foe.
At-Will * Shadow, Implement, Necrotic
Standard Action | Ranged 5
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier damage and target takes -1 to all of its defenses until the end of its next turn.
At level 21, increase damage to 2d6 + Intelligence modifier.
Vampirism Focus: The penalty to defenses equals your Charisma modifier.

Death Vision (Necromancer Attack 1)
Creatures in an area are struck with a horrendous image of death.
At-Will * Shadow, Implement, Fear, Psychic
Standard Action | Area burst 1 within 5
Target: All creatures in burst
Attack: Intelligence vs. Will
Hit: Intelligence modifier psychic damage and target is dazed until the end of its next turn.

Zombie Claws (Necromancer Attack 1)
Your undead creation obeys your command and then proves itself to be more agile than your enemies would guess.
At-Will * Shadow, Implement, Zombie
Hit: 1d8 + Intelligence modifier damage and you may slide the zombie 1 square.
At level 21, increase damage to 2d8 + Intelligence modifier damage
Zombie Leadership Focus: The number of squares you may slide the Zombie equals your Wisdom modifier.

Level 1 Encounters

Flailing Strike (Necromancer Attack 1)
The beauty of the undead is that they can be reckless where you cannot.
Encounter * Shadow, Implement, Zombie
Target: One or two creatures
Attack: Intelligence vs. AC, one or two attacks against the same or different creatures
Hit: 1d8 + Intelligence modifier damage.
Zombie Leadership Focus: Target is also dazed until the end of its next turn.

Grasping Hands (Necromancer Attack 1)
Skeletal hands writhe up from the ground, grabbing at the ankles of those who come nearby.
Encounter * Shadow, Implement
Standard Action | Area burst 1 within 10
Hit: The target is immobilized (save ends)
Effect: You create a zone of grasping hands in the burst that lasts until the end of your next turn. It counts as difficult terrain, and creatures that end their turn in the zone are immobilized (save ends).
Sustain Standard: The zone persists.

Lifestrike (Necromancer Attack 1)
You quickly draw life out of your enemy to continue fighting.
Encounter * Shadow, Implement, Necrotic
Standard Action | Melee touch
Hit: 1d8 + Intelligence modifier necrotic damage and you regain 3 hit points.
Deathtouch Focus: Add your Constitution modifier to the number of hit points you regain.

Vampiric Ray
Your mere gaze is enough to drain a foe.
Encounter * Shadow, Implement, Necrotic
Standard Action | Ranged 10
Hit: 1d8 + Intelligence modifier necrotic damage and you regain 1 hit point.
Vampirism Focus: Add your Charisma modifier hit points to the hit points regained.

Level 1 Dailies

Deathly Explosion (Necromancer Attack 1)
Even powerful necromancers who lead armies of the undead like when stuff blows up.
Daily * Shadow, Implement, Necrotic, Zombie
Standard Action | Close blast zombie 2
Hit: 3d6 + Intelligence modifier necrotic damage, ongoing 5 necrotic damage (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, no ongoing damage.
Effect: Destroy the zombie through which you cast this spell.

Draw Blood (Necromancer Attack 1)
This painful attack feels like the icy touch of death itself.
Daily * Shadow, Implement, Necrotic
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier necrotic damage. If this attack bloodies the target, you regain 5 hit points.
Miss: Half damage, no hit points regained.
Deathtouch Focus: The number of hit points you regain equals 4 + you Constitution modifier.

Enfeebling Ray (Necromancer Attack 1)
With concentration, a necromancer can keep its foe weak.
Standard Action | Ranged 5
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier necrotic damage and target is weakened until the end of its next turn
Sustain Standard: If it is within 5 squares, target is weakened until the end of its next turn.

Necrotic Blast (Necromancer Attack 1)
A wave of shadow energy bursts out of an area at your command.
Standard Action | Burst 1 within 10
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier necrotic damage
Miss: Half damage
Vampirism Focus: If you hit at least one creature in the blast, you also regain health equal to your Charisma modifier.

Level 2 Utilities

Creative Sacrifice (Necromancer Utility 2)
Every craftsman puts a little of themselves into their work.
Daily * Summoning, Necrotic
Effect: Expend a healing surge, but do not regain health. Place a zombie minion under your control in a space adjacent to you. This minion follows the rules of Animate Zombie Minion, and you must obey your limit of minions.
Zombie Lord: You may use this power to go one minion beyond your limit of minions.

Deathwatch(Necromancer Utility 2)
You diagnose a creature. With EVIL.
Encounter * Shadow
Minor Action | Ranged 10
Effect: You know the current health, the bloodied value, and any ongoing effects of the target.

Harden Bones (Necromancer Utility 2)
Daily * Shadow
Minor Action | Personal
Effect: Until the end of your next turn, you gain resist 5 all
Deathtouch: Your resistance equals 5 + your Constitution modifier.

Sacrifice the Minion (Necromancer Utility 2)
Because really, it’s what they’re for.
Encounter * Shadow
Immediate Interrupt | Ranged 5
Prerequisite: You must have a zombie within range
Trigger: You are hit with an attack
Effect: A zombie adjacent to you is hit with the attack instead. If there is no zombie adjacent to you, a zombie under your control within range moves adjacent to you first.

Level 3 Encounters

Acid Spit (Necromancer Attack 3)
Disgusting, but effective!
Encounter * Acid, Shadow, Implement, Zombie
Standard Action | Ranged zombie 5
Hit: 1d8 + Intelligence modifier acid damage.
Zombie Leadership Focus: Target is also blinded until the end of its next turn.

Chilling Touch
Encounter * Shadow, Implement, Cold
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier cold damage and target is slowed (save ends).
Deathtouch Focus: Target takes a penalty to save against this effect equal to your Constitution modifier.

Grim Visage
Necromancers have mastered many arcane arts. Among them is looking very creepy.
Encounter * Shadow, Implement, Fear
Standard Action | Close burst 5
Target: All enemies in burst
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier psychic damage.

Hex of Misfortune
Encounter * Shadow, Implement, Psychic
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier psychic damage and target takes -2 to attack rolls (save ends)
Vampirism Focus: The penalty equals 1 plus your Charisma modifier

Level 5 Dailies

Distasteful Renewal
Attack: Intelligence + 2 vs. Will
Hit: The target immediately makes a save against each effect on it which a save can end. For each save the target makes, it takes 1d10 + Intelligence modifier necrotic damage.
Vampirism Focus: The target gets a power bonus to each save equal to your Charisma modifier.
Miss: 2d6 necrotic damage.

Horrifying Desiccation
Hit: 3d8 necrotic damage and target is blinded (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, no blindness.

Touch of Madness
Daily * Shadow, Implement, Charm
Hit: 2d10 + Intelligence modifier psychic damage.
Deathtouch Focus: Target is also stunned (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, no stun.

Undead General War Cry (Necromancer Attack 5)
“The Raven Queen wears army boots!”
Daily * Shadow, Implement, Zombie
Standard Action
Effect: All zombies under your control may make the following attack:
Special: The zombie may shift 2 squares either before or after the attack.
Hit: 1d8 + Intelligence modifier damage

Level 6 Utilities

Aura of Undeath
Daily * Shadow
Effect: You create a zone of size close burst 5, centered on you. All attacks you make through zombies under your control in the zone as well as any attacks the zombies make themselves gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls. The zone moves with you and lasts until the end of your next turn.
Zombie Leadership Focus: The bonus equals 1 + your Wisdom modifier
Sustain Standard: The zone persists.

Cover Ally (Necromancer Utility 6)
Like playing hot potato with Sovereign Glue!
Encounter * Shadow
Immediate Interrupt | Ranged 10
Prerequisite: You must have a zombie currently under your control and within 5 squares of the triggering creature to use this power.
Trigger: You or an ally within range is hit with an attack.
Effect: A zombie adjacent to the triggering creature is hit with the attack instead. If there is no zombie adjacent to the triggering creature, a zombie under your control within 5 squares of the triggering creature first moves adjacent to that creature.

Rotted Flesh
Daily * Shadow
Effect: Until the end of your next turn, you gain resist 5 to all damage except radiant, to which you gain vulnerability 5.
Vampirism Focus: The resistance equals 5 + your Charisma modifier
Deathtouch Focus: The resistance equals 5 + your Constitution modifier.

Level 7 Encounters

Channel Life
Encounter * Shadow, Implement
Special: Before you attack, you may expend a healing surge if you have one remaining. You do not gain the normal benefits from expending it, but you do get a +1 bonus on the attack roll.
Hit: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier necrotic damage
Vampirism Focus: Target takes additional damage equal to your Charisma modifier.
Special: If you spent a healing surge, you may repeat this attack on any creature within range

Inflict Moderate Wounds
Encounter * Shadow, Implement, Necrotic, Cold
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier necrotic and cold damage, and target is slowed (save ends).
Deathtouch Focus: Target is weakened and slowed (save ends both).

Frightening Shades
Encounter * Shadow, Implement, Fear, Illusion
Standard Action | Area burst 2 within 10
Special: A creature may, as a free action, allow itself to be automatically hit by this attack
Hit: You slide the target up to 2 squares.

Grappling Strike (Necromancer Attack 7)
C’mere you big lug! Have a zombie hug!
Hit: 3d6 + Intelligence modifier damage, target is grabbed.
Zombie Leadership Focus: The target takes a penalty to escape from the grab equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Level 9 Dailies

Create Minor Undead (Necromancer Attack 9)
You have learned to tap directly into planes of death and negative energy. You tear substance from it to form a being under your command.
Daily * Shadow, Implement, Summoning
Standard Action
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier damage.

Death's Embrace
Hit: 2d10 + Intelligence modifier cold damage and target is weakened and slowed (save ends both).
Miss: Half damage, target is not weakened or slowed.

Steal Life
Hit: 2d10 + Intelligence modifier damage and you may spend a healing surge
Miss: Half damage and you regain 5 health.

Level 10 Utilities

Bitter Blood
Encounter * Shadow
Effect: Until the end of your next turn, any time you are hit with an attack, all adjacent enemies take damage equal to your Constitution modifier.
Sustain Minor: You take damage equal to ˝ your level and the effect persists.

Master’s Sacrifice (Necromancer Utility 10)
Occasionally it is actually beneficial to keep your creations alive, even at a slight cost to your own health.
Encounter * Shadow, Healing
Effect: Spend a healing surge. You do not gain the benefits from it, but a non-minion zombie under your control does.

Undead Lieutenant
Daily * Shadow
Immediate Reaction | Personal
Trigger: You fall unconscious
Effect: The zombies under your control do not vanish. Control of them goes to any ally you can see. This power allows them to go over their limit of minions, if any. Your zombies vanish when this ally falls unconscious.

Level 13 Encounters

Boil Blood
Encounter * Shadow, Implement, Fire
Hit: 3d8 + Intelligence modifier fire damage, ongoing 10 fire damage (save ends).
Vampirism Focus: Every time the target takes the ongoing damage, you regain health equal to your Charisma modifier.

Horde Charge (Necromancer Attack 13)
Secretly, many generals of the undead wish that they were generals of the living.
Encounter * Shadow, Zombie
Effect: Each zombie under your control may make a charge attack or a basic melee attack.
Zombie Leadership Focus: Each zombie gains a bonus to the damage roll equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Vile Drink
Encounter * Implement, Necrotic
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier necrotic damage and you may spend a healing surge.
Deathtouch Focus: If you spend a healing surge, add your Constitution modifier to the health you regain.

Level 15 Dailies

Create Moderate Undead (Necromancer Attack 15)
Your abilities to call on death energies improves greatly.
Standard Action
Hit: 2d10 + Intelligence modifier damage.

Mark of Malevolence
Hit: 15 ongoing necrotic damage (save ends).
Aftereffect: 10 ongoing necrotic damage (save ends).
After-Aftereffect: 5 ongoing necrotic damage (save ends).
Deathtouch Focus: Target takes a penalty to saves against this effect equal to your Constitution modifier.
Miss: 5 ongoing necrotic damage (save ends), and no modifier to saves.

Shadow Shackles
Hit: 1d10 + Intelligence modifier necrotic damage
Vampirism Focus: Target is also slowed until the end of its next turn.
Special: If this attack kills the target, you may repeat the attack on another target within range. You may continue repeating the attack until you miss, the attack does not kill the target, or there are no targets within range.

Level 16 Utilities

Embittered Old Soul
Encounter * Shadow
Minor Action | Personal
Effect: You gain resist 5 psychic, a +1 power bonus to your will defense, and a +1 power bonus to saves until the end of your next turn.
Sustain Standard: The effects persist

Poisonous Barbs (Necromancer Utility 16)
The best poisoned weapon is one you don’t have to personally apply the poison to.
Daily * Shadow, Poison
Effect: Until the end of your next turn, attacks made by your zombies deal an extra 1d4 + your Wisdom modifier poison damage.
Sustain Minor: The effect persists.

Revenant
It's true what they say: you can't keep a good man down.
Daily * Shadow
Immediate Interrupt |Personal
Trigger: You fail your third death saving throw.
Effect: Spend a healing surge and heal as normal. You are no longer dead or dying. You die at the end of your next turn, or if you reach your bloodied value negative hit points. You also have vulnerability 15 radiant.
Sustain Minor: You still don't die, and the effects persist. You cannot do this if you have reached your bloodied value in negative health.

Level 17 Encounters

Whirlwind Claw Strike (Necromancer Attack 17)
Screeching out a moan of terror and pain, your zombie strikes at all within its grasp.
Standard Action | Close burst zombie 1
Hit: 2d8 + Intelligence modifier damage and target is dazed until the end of its next turn.

Level 19 Dailies

Create Greater Undead (Necromancer Attack 19)
You have become so accustomed to creating undead constructs that you find yourself able to do it almost as often as you wish – though channeling such energies is not without cost to your own body.
Standard Action
Effect: You expend a healing surge but do not gain the benefits of it. Summon a medium zombie with move 5 under your control in a space adjacent to you. It does not count against your minion limit, but you may only have one non-minion zombie under your control at once unless a power, feat or ability specifically allows otherwise. You do not expend a healing surge or take damage when this creature dies, unlike normal summoned creatures. As a standard action, you may give it the following special command:
Hit: 2d10 + Intelligence modifier damage and enemy is knocked prone.
Special: When this zombie is destroyed, you regain the use of this power.

Level 22 Utilities

Mortifying Feast (Necromancer Utility 22)
A skilled necromancer is able to use even the energies of death and destruction to strengthen themselves.
Encounter * Shadow, Healing
Minor Action | Personal
Prerequisite: You must have a zombie under your control to use this power.
Effect: Destroy a zombie under your control. You may spend a healing surge and regain additional hit points equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Level 23 Encounters

Distracting Assault (Necromancer Attack 23)
Your zombies unleash a relentless slashing attack that takes all the enemies’ attention to avoid.
Minor Action | Melee zombie 1
Hit: 3d6 + Intelligence modifier damage and target is dazed until the end of its next turn.
Effect: Until the end of your next turn, enemies adjacent to any of your zombies grant combat advantage to your allies.
Zombie Leadership Focus: Zombies under your control gain a bonus to damage rolls equal to your Wisdom modifier until the end of your next turn.

Level 25 Dailies

Poison Bile (Necromancer Attack 25)
A full stomach is a terrible thing to waste.
Daily * Shadow, Implement, Zombie
Standard Action | Close blast zombie 3
Hit: 3d8 + Intelligence modifier poison damage and 10 ongoing poison damage (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, 5 ongoing poison damage (save ends).

Level 27 Encounters

Vicious Rending (Necromancer Encounter 27)
With deathly speed your zombie tears into an opponent.
Attack: Intelligence vs AC
Hit: 2d6+Intelligence modifier damage and 10 ongoing damage (save ends).
Special: You may repeat this attack twice more against the same or different targets. The ongoing damage does not stack if the same target is targeted more than once.
Zombie Leadership Focus: The total number of times you may make the attack equals your Wisdom modifier.

Level 29 Dailies

Summon Titanic Undead (Necromancer Attack 29)
Raaaaaaaaaaaargh!
Standard Action | Close blast 2
Prerequisite: You must have at least one unexpended healing surge to use this power.
Hit: 3d8 + Intelligence modifier damage and you slide the target 2 squares to a square outside the blast.
Miss: Slide the target 2 squares to a square outside the blast.
Effect: Expend a healing surge but do not gain any benefits. You summon a large zombie with move 7 in the squares covered by the blast. It does not count against your minion limit, but you may only have one non-minion zombie under your control at once unless a power, feat or ability specifically allows otherwise. You do not expend a healing surge or take damage when this creature dies, unlike normal summoned creatures. As a standard action you may give it the following command:
Standard Action | Close blast 1
Hit: 3d8+ Intelligence modifier damage

Feats

Heroic Tier

General of Undeath
Benefit: You may have one more zombie minion than normally allowed.

Zombie Defense
Benefit: Zombies under your control gain a +1 to all defenses, including AC.

Paragon Tier

Agile Creations
Prerequisite: Level 11, Dex 13, Zombie Leadership class feature
Benefit: Zombies under your control may make a melee basic attack as an opportunity attack whenever a creature adjacent to them takes an action that would provoke an opportunity attack.

Hardy Creations
Prerequisite: Level 11, Wis 13, Zombie Leadership class feature
Benefit: Your non-minion zombies are summoned with 5 + your Wisdom modifier temporary hit points.
Special: Increase this to 10 + your Wisdom modifier at level 21.

Negative Energy Imbuement
Prerequisite: Level 11, Wis 15
Benefit: As a free action you may switch your zombies’ damage type to necrotic or back.

Epic Tier

Improved Zombie Defense
Prerequisite: Level 21, Wis 17, Zombie Defense
Benefit: The bonus to your Zombies’ defenses equals your Wisdom modifier.

Zombie Zookeeper
Prerequisite: Level 21, Wis 17, General of Undeath
Benefit: You may have up to two non-minion zombies under your control at once.

Still to come:

More powers and feats, geared toward Deathtouch and Vampiric Necromancers.

A Daily Summoning power for each Daily level power?

Three Paragon Paths, one geared toward each Focus.

Rods and Wands that Necromancers might like.

Designers notes?

DiscipleofBob
2010-04-08, 10:49 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't find the "limit" for summoned minions for this class referenced so often.

mikeejimbo
2010-04-09, 07:45 AM
It should be in the Animate Zombie Minion power, with this line:

I should probably put it somewhere else though.

mikeejimbo
2010-04-13, 03:36 PM
Designer's Notes

Role: The role, from the beginning, was always going to be a Controller. The idea for the three different 'flavors' of Necromancy were that they would all provide control in different ways - Zombie Leadership (which is currently the most complete 'build' available) would use their zombies to make more attacks on more targets, at the offset of damage output, as well as use them to flank and maneuver their targets. Deathtouch Necromancers use melee attacks to apply debilitating conditions on their enemies.

Power Source: I had trouble deciding what power source to use here, between Shadow and Arcane. I decided on Shadow because there's already an Arcane Controller, and there is no Shadow Controller. I also felt that a Necromancer fit with the Shadow power source.

Key Abilities: This was likewise a tricky decision. I know that it has four abilities listed, which is more than most classes have right off the bat, but many classes also start off with two builds and then add another build that uses a different secondary stat. As it goes, Intelligence is used as the primary ability for all builds, with one of the others for each build.

Armor Proficiencies: I've never imagined Necromancers in anything more than cloth. More importantly, since summons' defenses are based off the caster's, adding plate to the caster would give the zombies a higher AC, which wasn't desirable. Fortunately they make up for it by being Intelligence based, and so they have a decent AC without armor.

Weapon Proficiencies: No class has ever had "None" as a weapon proficiency. I realize this, but I figured "Why not?" There are no weapons that I could see a Necromancer wanting to use, given that they have no weapon powers. More importantly, Necromancers have access to an at-will spell that can be used as a melee basic and is more effective than weapons.

Implement Proficiencies: I'm not entirely happy with just using rods and wands as their implements. I can definitely see rods, but I'm not quite sure about wands. In any event, I wanted to stray away from staffs and tomes because of the Summoner's implements of those varieties, which would provide a quick buff to their zombies. I believe balance is better maintained by making them go through the "hoops" of a number of feats before they can get this, if they want to try.