PDA

View Full Version : encounter goal: survive 3 rounds (3.5)

the humanity
2010-04-07, 01:38 PM
I need a really scary encounter for an 8th level character that she can't possibly survive if she tries to attack it. she'll have 3 rounds with it. if she survives, I'll catch her halfway up to the rest of the party in xp. I don't want something she can't possibly last the rounds. I was thinking a balor would be fun, but I know she'd immediately run, having faced a few with higher level characters. thoughts?

Darklord Xavez
2010-04-07, 01:41 PM
8-headed Hydra. Hydras are very hard to kill, but don't pack too much of a punch.
-Xavez

Alex112524
2010-04-07, 02:02 PM
A Dark Knight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IV).

SilverStar
2010-04-07, 02:04 PM
Something with class levels- a humanoid opponent about six levels higher than she is.

Initiate of the Sevenfold Veils comes to mind.

"Do you wanna taste the rainbow???" **evil laugh**

Radar
2010-04-07, 02:39 PM
Maybe some Illusionist->Shadowcraft Mage? They can be really nasty, yet can challenge PCs with something more interesting then raw power - your imagination is the only limit.

the humanity
2010-04-07, 02:42 PM
interesting ideas.

liking the hydra at the moment, raw power is kinda what I was thinking for it.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-07, 02:43 PM
Something with class levels- a humanoid opponent about six levels higher than she is.

Initiate of the Sevenfold Veils comes to mind.

"Do you wanna taste the rainbow???" **evil laugh**

Isn't that harder than a Balor?

SilverStar
2010-04-07, 02:48 PM

Probably, but unlike the balor, most PCs won't auto-run from something that looks like a feeble eighty-year old human woman.

Optimystik
2010-04-07, 02:50 PM

They at least don't get Blasphemy, at-will or otherwise.

Mordokai
2010-04-07, 02:53 PM
Probably, but unlike the balor, most PCs won't auto-run from something that looks like a feeble eighty-year old human woman.

For extra evilness, turn it around and make it an eight year old human woman :smallbiggrin:

Hey, nobody said it needs to be logical :smalltongue: And humiliation level for the PC is about the same, or even slightly bigger.

"Dude, what happened?!"
"There was this little girl, rainbows and everything... really scary, man!"
"... have you been eating the wrong shrooms again?"

Panigg
2010-04-07, 04:07 PM
For extra evilness, turn it around and make it an eight year old human woman :smallbiggrin:

Hey, nobody said it needs to be logical :smalltongue: And humiliation level for the PC is about the same, or even slightly bigger.

"Dude, what happened?!"
"There was this little girl, rainbows and everything... really scary, man!"
"... have you been eating the wrong shrooms again?"

"I love you so much right now." -Peter Griffin, Family Guy.

Pure. Evil. Genius.

Vizzerdrix
2010-04-07, 04:10 PM
Ooze in a pit?

Ernir
2010-04-07, 05:40 PM
If the player that is supposed to avoid the fight is a melee type, send a fighter-type with Robilar's Gambit, Karmic Strike, and Stormguard Warrior.

Attacking is going to get you killed fast. :smalltongue: