PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XIII

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

GeminiVeil
2010-04-19, 01:51 PM
A101
I asked that on the Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XII, and I believe Curmudgeon answered me saying that since the bonus comes from two abillities with the same name, they do not stack. (i.e., they both are called AC Bonus, I think.)

Q102
Is there any system for called shots in 3.5? I was told once there was, but don't remember if I was told a book.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-19, 01:56 PM
A 101 No.

In the first place, they're situationally incompatible. The Monk class feature requires no armor; the Swordsage class feature requires light armor. You can't be both unarmored and wearing light armor simultaneously.

In the second place, these bonuses are from the same source, because they have the same name: AC Bonus.
Stacking

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession). You can't stack a modifier to your AC (the target for an enemy's attack roll) twice from AC Bonus.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-19, 01:59 PM
A 100 partial

Trip checks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#trip) use Strength for the attacker, and either Strength or Dexterity for their opponent.

There's no RAW answer as to whether ability check is an inclusive term (i.e., whether it's still considered an ability check if you add non-ability modifiers like BAB). The only safe answer is that if the rules use the specific terms "ability check", "Strength check", or "Dexterity check", it is an ability check. If the rules do not use those terms it's a matter of individual DM judgment.

JaronK
2010-04-19, 02:07 PM
Q 101

Does a monk's Wisdom bonus to AC stack with the sword sage's Wisdom bonus to AC?

No. By strict RAW, one applies only while wearing light armor, the other only while not wearing any armor. Custserv has stated that the Swordsage bonus was supposed to work in no armor as well, but that it was not supposed to stack with the Monk bonus. Either you play by strict RAW and they never line up, or with RAI and they don't stack, but either way you can't get both.

JaronK

JaronK
2010-04-19, 02:09 PM
Q 100
What are some examples of strength or dexterity checks? I can't seem to find information on them anywhere.

Specifically, do attack rolls or reflex saves count?

Explanation: I rolled up a factotum and am trying to decide if I add my int bonus to the above values.

Initiative is a Dexterity Check. Tripping and Grappling are strength checks. Attack rolls and reflex saves are NOT dexterity or strength checks. Note that these things say in their entries what they are... initiative is explicitly a dexterity check, for example.

JaronK

Warclam
2010-04-19, 06:38 PM
Q 103

What sources add new animals to any of the summon nature's ally spells, other than the Player's Handbook, the Fiend Folio, and Stormwrack?

Thurbane
2010-04-19, 08:52 PM
Q 104

Question about slam attacks: if a (medium) humanoid creature with a natural slam attack has it's hands full (say, with a tower shield and scimitar), can it still use a slam attack as a secondary natural attack?

Koury
2010-04-19, 09:04 PM
A 104

Yes. Headbutt, elbow, kick. These can all be used to slam someone.

Teutonic Knight
2010-04-19, 10:59 PM
Q 105

Is there a magical item property that greatly reduces an item's weight? For example, more than 50%?

Godskook
2010-04-20, 01:09 AM
Q106

Does a Human Totemist qualify for Multiweapon Fighting if he has Girallon Arms bound to his Totem?

Additionally, when he wears a monk belt, how many unarmed strikes is he entitled to make without costing him claw attacks.

Q107

How do Girallon Arms and Claws of the Wyrm stack?

klemdakherzbag
2010-04-20, 01:35 AM
Q 108
If I apply the Dragonborn(RotD) template to a Phrenic(XPH) templated pc, will the Dragonborn template 'overwrite' the abilities gained from the Phrenic template?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-20, 02:22 AM
A 106 No.

The listed qualities of the Girallon Arms and its totem bind are bonuses on Climb and Grapple checks, and claws that sprout from your fingers. Despite a name that evokes an image of a 4-armed gorilla, this soulmeld description does not include extra arms -- just multiple claws. (If you have a shield in your off hand you can make only 1 claw attack rather than 4, so clearly you don't have 2 extra arms free.)

Unarmed strikes are made using your whole body as a weapon, so there is no interference if your hands have claws. In a full attack you would make all your unarmed attacks, and claw attacks would be secondary natural attacks with the appropriate penalties. A Monk's Belt has no influence on unarmed attacks; it only affects unarmed damage.

A 107 They don't.

If you have claws from both Girallon Arms and Claws of the Wyrm you cannot use both.
It you already have claw attacks, use either your normal claw damage or the damage given for this soulmeld, whichever is higher.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-20, 02:33 AM
A 108 No.

While inherited templates are specified concurrently with the creature's race, the Dragonborn transformation only refers to the race, not other inherited characteristics.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-20, 02:54 AM
A 105 No.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing with such an extreme weight reduction. The only thing that remotely fits your description is the lightweight armor property:
The overall weight of a suit of armor with this item quality is reduced by 20%, or 1 pound, whichever is greater. If you happened to have armor weighing less than 2 lbs. originally then lightweight would give you your desired 50+% reduction.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-20, 03:37 AM
A 102 No.

There is no general system for called shots in D&D 3.5. There are specific rules in some cases such as the Hydra (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/hydra.htm) (which uses Sunder checks to sever the creature's heads); the vorpal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#vorpal) weapon property (which requires a natural 20 roll plus a confirmed critical to sever a head); and the Hamstring ambush feat (Complete Warrior) (whereby you sacrifice sneak attack damage to injure an opponent's legs).

JaronK
2010-04-20, 03:49 AM
Q 108
If I apply the Dragonborn(RotD) template to a Phrenic(XPH) templated pc, will the Dragonborn template 'overwrite' the abilities gained from the Phrenic template?

Yes. Phrenic is a template, but templates are part of your race, and Dragonborn must be taken after Phrenic (because it happens after you're born).

JaronK

Thurbane
2010-04-20, 03:59 AM
Yes. Phrenic is a template, but templates are part of your race, and Dragonborn must be taken after Phrenic (because it happens after you're born).

JaronK
Can you cite a source for that? AFAIK, templates have zero effect on your race unless they also change your type.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-20, 04:11 AM
Phrenic is a template, but templates are part of your race
The Monster Manual doesn't say that, either for templates generally or inherited templates specifically.
Templates: Both intelligent and nonintelligent creatures with an unusual heritage (such as draconic or fiendish blood) or an inflicted change in their essential nature (undeath or lycanthropy) may be modified with a template. Templates usually result in tougher monsters with capabilities that differ from those of their common kin.
Other templates, known as inherited templates, are part of a creature from the beginning of its existence. Examples include the celestial, fiendish, half-celestial, half-dragon, and half-fiend templates—all assume the creature was born with the template. There's no mention of the template being a racial characteristic. And other parts of the rules specifically disclaim any connection between race and template.
You assume the form of a creature of the same type as your normal form.
You cannot take the form of any creature with a template, even if that template doesn’t change the creature type or subtype.

Irreverent Fool
2010-04-20, 06:27 AM
Q 109 I thought I knew this, but an argument left me wondering.
When a creature has a listing of spell-like abilities such as 1/day - spellA, spellB, spellC, 2/day - spellD, spellE does it mean that the creature may use EACH of the listed spells the listed number of times per day, or that it may use them in some combination totaling that number?

That is, using the example above, in a single combat could the creature cast spellA, spellB, and spellC, and then two spellDs and two spellEs, or would using spell spellA once keep it from casting any more of spellA, spellB, or spellC?

Runestar
2010-04-20, 06:33 AM
Q 109 I thought I knew this, but an argument left me wondering.
When a creature has a listing of spell-like abilities such as 1/day - spellA, spellB, spellC, 2/day - spellD, spellE does it mean that the creature may use EACH of the listed spells the listed number of times per day, or that it may use them in some combination totaling that number?

That is, using the example above, in a single combat could the creature cast spellA, spellB, and spellC, and then two spellDs and two spellEs, or would using spell spellA once keep it from casting any more of spellA, spellB, or spellC?

Each SLA may be used that many times.

Yora
2010-04-20, 06:34 AM
A109
They can use each of the listed spells for the indicated number of time.

You never see any creature that has "3/day" or "1/day" listed more than one time. If you could use "one of the listed once per day" it would be reasonable to read something like "1/day - gaseous form, 1/day - fireball". But since that never appears, the 1/day obviously applies to each of the listed spells.

Raptor2213
2010-04-20, 06:50 AM
A 105 No.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing with such an extreme weight reduction. The only thing that remotely fits your description is the lightweight armor property:
Originally Posted by Lightweight
The overall weight of a suit of armor with this item quality is reduced by 20%, or 1 pound, whichever is greater.
If you happened to have armor weighing less than 2 lbs. originally then lightweight would give you your desired 50+% reduction.

A105 expanded
If you were making it from scratch, you could make it Mithril and Lightweight.

Mithril will reduce the initial weight by 25% 50% and then Lightweight will reduce it by 20% for a total of a 40% 60% reduction. (You don't add the percents together. Assuming armor that weighs 100 lbs, 100-(100*.25)=75 75-(75*.20)=60 100-(100*.5)=50 75-(75*.20)=40 You can't apply mithril after Lightweight, and the numbers would probably come out the same anyway)

Raptor2213
2010-04-20, 06:52 AM
Q110
Polymorph any Object says that it does not work on magic items. If you have an object made of Adamantium Adamantine, can you use it on it?

Since it's enhancement bonus does not come from magic, merely the metal itself, I would suspect that this will be a yes.

sofawall
2010-04-20, 07:04 AM
Q110
Polymorph any Object says that it does not work on magic items. If you have an object made of Adamantium, can you use it on it?

Since it's enhancement bonus does not come from magic, merely the metal itself, I would suspect that this will be a yes.

A110 Assuming a) you mean Adamantine, as Wolverine does not exist in D&D 3.5, and b) the adamantine is not enchanted, then yes, it can be Polymorphed.

powerdemon
2010-04-20, 08:29 AM
A110 Assuming a) you mean Adamantine, as Wolverine does not exist in D&D 3.5, and b) the adamantine is not enchanted, then yes, it can be Polymorphed.

AFAIK you could also just cast a targeted dispel magic on the item to suppress the magic in/on it and then use the spell. I believe it was mentioned in a book somewhere that this is a good way to alter armor to fit a new owner/user.

PS: My DM always says adamantium as well. We've corrected him so many times he has now Rule 0ed it to now be called adamantium. :smallwink:

Curmudgeon
2010-04-20, 08:50 AM
Mithril will reduce the initial weight by 25%
Two corrections here:

An item made from mithral weighs half as much as the same item made from other metals.

Il_Vec
2010-04-20, 09:48 AM
Q111

A 5-ft-step is a free action you can take in a turn that you do not use your move action to move. Do armor/encumbrance affect 5-ft-steps in any way?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-20, 01:15 PM
A 111

Let's start with a correction: a 5' adjustment is not a free action. It's "not an action". (The distinction is relevant because DMs may limit free actions.)
You can only take a 5-foot step if your movement isn’t hampered by difficult terrain or darkness. Any creature with a speed of 5 feet or less can’t take a 5-foot step, since moving even 5 feet requires a move action for such a slow creature. If your armor and/or encumbrance drops your speed to 5' or less, you can't take a 5' step.

Godskook
2010-04-20, 02:52 PM
A 106 No.

The listed qualities of the Girallon Arms and its totem bind are bonuses on Climb and Grapple checks, and claws that sprout from your fingers. Despite a name that evokes an image of a 4-armed gorilla, this soulmeld description does not include extra arms -- just multiple claws. (If you have a shield in your off hand you can make only 1 claw attack rather than 4, so clearly you don't have 2 extra arms free.)

R106

Girallon Arms
Chakra Bind (Totem)
Incarnum forms two additional, powerful arms that spring out from your rib cage.

There are clearly two additional arms.

Unarmed strikes are made using your whole body as a weapon, so there is no interference if your hands have claws. In a full attack you would make all your unarmed attacks, and claw attacks would be secondary natural attacks with the appropriate penalties. A Monk's Belt has no influence on unarmed attacks; it only affects unarmed damage.

106.b)This question was made contingent on qualifying for MWF. Equivalently, how many attacks per round does a L20 Thrikeen Monk with MWF, IMWF and GMWF have, assuming no other source of attacks.

106.c)In the bolded text, did you mean "Natural Attacks"? If so, ok. If not, what do you mean by that?

(And while a Monk's Belt has no direct influence on Natural attacks, you can not use a limb for both an iterative attack and a natural weapon attack. I.e., an clawed hand can not be used to attack with a weapon and claw. Which is the crux of the question in 106.b. Do attacks granted by MWF used to make a monk's unarmed attack similarly constrain you from also making claw attacks in the same way that using them to make attacks with daggers would, or does the monk's unique wording bypass this?)

A 107 They don't.

If you have claws from both Girallon Arms and Claws of the Wyrm you cannot use both.

R107
Huh? How does basing the damage die off pre-existing claw attacks cause the claw attacks to overlap? The quoted rule-text is solely there to establish the damage die, from what I can tell.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-20, 04:46 PM
Re: A 106

There are clearly two additional arms.
Obviously I missed that in the "fluff" text; my error. However, these arms are limited in function:
These spirit arms mirror the movements of your real arms. All four of your arms are tipped with long claws that no longer seem ghostly, but quite real—and quite sharp.
You gain four claws that you can use as natural weapons
You still don't qualify for Multiweapon Fighting, because the spirit arms mirror your real arms rather than operate independently, and are only specified to work for claw attacks.

A 106.b)

A level 20 (ECL 24 because of the 2 monstrous HD and +2 level adjustment) Thri-keen Monk will have AB of +15, giving 3 iterative primary hand attacks, or 5 attacks with flurry of blows (unarmed or with special Monk weapons). Greater Multiweapon Fighting allows 3 additional attacks with each of 3 offhand weapons. The total is either 12 or 14 attacks per full attack.

A 106.c)

The wearer’s AC and unarmed damage is treated as a monk of five levels higher. ... If the character is not a monk, she gains the AC and unarmed damage of a 5th-level monk.
The Monk's Belt does nothing for unarmed attacks at all (i.e., it does not provide any bonus or unarmed strike proficiency, does not grant the Improved Unarmed Strike feat, and does not qualify the wearer for flurry of blows); it only affects unarmed damage.

Do attacks granted by MWF used to make a monk's unarmed attack similarly constrain you from also making claw attacks in the same way that using them to make attacks with daggers would, or does the monk's unique wording bypass this?)
There's no connection between Multiweapon Fighting and unarmed attacks (whether from a Monk or not), because you use your whole body (including kicks and head butts) for unarmed attacks. The status of your hands (their number and whether occupied by weapons) is irrelevant.

Re: A 107

Claws of the Wyrm specifies that you get the better damage from either the Claws of the Wyrm claws, or your other claws; i.e., you get damage from one set of claws. You don't get damage from both forms of claws using the better damage die.

TheMadLinguist
2010-04-20, 08:57 PM
Any way to get dexterity, wisdom, or charisma to be nonabilities?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-20, 09:08 PM
Please number your questions; this would be Q 112.

Any way to get dexterity, wisdom, or charisma to be nonabilities?
Re: Q 112

I don't understand what you want here. These are all defined to be abilities in the basic rules of the game. Do you mean something like "No <whatever> score"? (For example: Undead have no Constitution score, and instead use their Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.)

The Glyphstone
2010-04-20, 10:09 PM
Please number your questions; this would be Q 112.

Re: Q 112

I don't understand what you want here. These are all defined to be abilities in the basic rules of the game. Do you mean something like "No <whatever> score"? (For example: Undead have no Constitution score, and instead use their Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.)

Q/A 112: I think that's what he's after.
Dex is the only one that can be obtained as a nonability, and that's only via shapechanging into a creature incapable of moving, such as a Shrieker. Wisdom and Charisma as nonabilities mean you're an object, and incapable of interacting with the world.

Q113:
When an Archivist uses Dark Knowledge on a target creature or group of creatures, do they have to pick one of the Dark Knowledge abilities, or does it trigger all of the effects that they are high enough level to qualify for (excepting Dread Secret, if it was targeted against a group)?

TheMadLinguist
2010-04-20, 10:31 PM
Q 114: Why the heck do we bother numbering these things? There's no archive I know of, the topic ends at a number of pages rather than a number of questions, and people quote the question they're answering anyway.

Koury
2010-04-20, 10:39 PM
A114

(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

*snip*

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Because thems the rules?

TheMadLinguist
2010-04-20, 10:44 PM
While that's a technically accurate answer, it misses, as it were, the thrust of the question. Allow me to retry:

Q115: Why are thems the rules? (oh, and this is a question for a non DnD 3.5 system, by the way)

Raptor2213
2010-04-20, 11:06 PM
While that's a technically accurate answer, it misses, as it were, the thrust of the question. Allow me to retry:

Q115: Why are thems the rules? (oh, and this is a question for a non DnD 3.5 system, by the way)

1) Because otherwise, people would answer a question and we wouldn't know which question they were answering.
2) Because it weeds out idiots, lazy people and people who are just plain illiterate and don't bother to read the rules.
3) It doesn't matter. You CHOSE to post in this thread, therefore you must CHOOSE to follow the rules or get everyone in here bitching at you.

Don't like the rules? Make your own thread and stop spamming us with non-thread related questions in this one.

Why the angst? Read my sig.

TheMadLinguist
2010-04-20, 11:09 PM
So in other words, because people are too lazy to hit "quote" when they answer a question. It seems a little odd that people would get so angry about questioning the rul- move along citizen, nothing to see here.

Q116) What LA+1 or LA+2 templates can be applied to all corporeal living creatures that create a type change that doesn't result in the outsider, fey, or undead types?

Raptor2213
2010-04-20, 11:22 PM
Q116 What LA+1 or LA+2 templates can be applied to any corporeal creature that create a type change that doesn't result in the outsider, fey, or undead types?

A116
Feral +1 (Monstrous Humanoid)
Insectile +2 (Aberration)
Monstrous Beast +2 (Magical Beast)
Multi-Headed varies (Magical Beast or Unchanged)
Reptilian +2 (Unchanged)
Symbiotic +1 (Aberration)
Tauric +2 (Monstrous Humanoid)
Winged +2 (Unchanged, Magical Beast, or Monstrous Humanoid)
Yuan-Ti 'Tainted' or 'Broodguard' +1 or +0 (Humanoid/Monstrous Humanoid)

All from savage species, and that's just a one book. I'm to lazy to look up any more tonight, but a lot of your Races of the X will have some too, as well as MM1-5

TheMadLinguist
2010-04-20, 11:33 PM
Clarification: I meant the specific template can be applied to all kinds of creatures.

Q117: Can you be your own familiar, assuming you meet all other requirements (like if you're a beguiler or a pseudodragon with improved familiar or something).

Curmudgeon
2010-04-21, 02:45 AM
A 113

A single Knowledge check elicits all that you know about the subject at hand. Multiple checks are normally only required when there are different skills involved (e.g., Knowledge: Dungeoneering vs. Knowledge: Religion). The Archivist's Dark Knowledge adds two other complications, because some Dark Knowledge checks affect a group of creatures, and some just one; and Dark Knowledge can only be used once against any individual creature, regardless of the type of effect. You could combine Dark Knowledge: Tactics and Dark Knowledge: Puissance effects against a group of creatures of the same type, for instance, but would not be able use Dark Knowledge: Dread Secret against any of those creatures, either at the same time (group/individual check conflict) or thereafter (once only conflict).

Curmudgeon
2010-04-21, 02:58 AM
Why the heck do we bother numbering these things? ... and people quote the question they're answering anyway.
I rarely quote the original question, because it's tedious to scroll though multiple screenfuls of the same text. I only quote parts of elaborate questions when they need to be broken down into individual topics for a complete answer.

In my experience with quite a few iterations of this thread, the number of overlooked questions, and overlooked answers, is directly proportional to the number of questions quoted in their entirety. People miss things when the signal to noise ratio (new content : repeated content) drops.

I would ask you to please don't quote the whole question unless you're breaking it up into pieces, and instead just reference the number.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-21, 03:39 AM
A 117

You wouldn't like the RAW consequences of such a choice.
Hit Points: The familiar has one-half the master’s total hit points (not including temporary hit points), rounded down, regardless of its actual Hit Dice.
So you have the Improved Familiar feat, and choose yourself as your familiar. You must follow the rule for hit points for a familiar, so multiply the master's HP total by ½, round down, and assign this number to the familiar (you). Is the familiar in compliance with the rule that it has ½ the master's total HP? If not, apply the rule. When you reach 0 hit points, congratulations: you're now following the RAW, because ½∙0 = 0.
0 Hit Points: If your hit points drop to 0, you are disabled. You can only take one move action or standard action per turn, and you take 1 point of damage after completing an action.

TheMadLinguist
2010-04-21, 03:52 AM
The rules of the game article says (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050906a) you can reasonably assume that your familiar uses its own hit points if it's higher than half the master's, so I'm covered there, at least.

Wait, hp go negative. If it were a simple halving algorithm, being your own familiar would force you to be permanently at 0 even if someone stabbed you repeatedly in the face. Which is much less sane. In fact, I think it's a far stupider way to be immune to death by hp loss than pretty much any other way I can think of. It even beats out sticking your head in a bucket for sheer dumbness.

EDIT: actually, checking the third article in the series, it looks like it's possible given how obtaining a familiar is described. Excellent.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050920a

Curmudgeon
2010-04-21, 04:00 AM
The rules of the game article says (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050906a) you can reasonably assume that your familiar uses its own hit points if it's higher than half the master's, so I'm covered there, at least.
From that article you'll see this is actually a house rule.

The rules don't say so, but you can reasonably assume that a familiar uses its own hit points if they're higher than half the master's hit points. If the rules don't say so, it's not the RAW (as required in this thread).

crazedloon
2010-04-21, 05:20 AM
Q 118

Must a readied attack (for a set weapon) be a normal attack or can one perform a maneuver as part of a set weapon attack vs a charge?

Keld Denar
2010-04-21, 05:29 AM
A 118

You can take any attack action interchangable with an attack roll (trip, disarm, sunder, etc) if you ready an action against a charge. RAW (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialInitiativeActions.htm#ready) is decidedly quiet as to whether or not you'd still get double damage with a set weapon on a follow-up attack (such as from Improved Trip, or Combat Brute's Sundering Cleave) if you don't take attack roll up front. DMs discression, but I'd lean toward no, since physics-wise, momentum would already be redirected.

crazedloon
2010-04-21, 05:44 AM
Q 118 cont.

But can one use a ToB maneuver as part of the readied action, i.e. ready the maneuver and take advantage of the extra damage?

If you can not without other help can you with the steadfast boots from MIC which allow all your 2 handed weapons to be automatically set against a charge to gain the bonus damage on a readied maneuver vs a charge?

Runestar
2010-04-21, 06:15 AM
I rarely quote the original question, because it's tedious to scroll though multiple screenfuls of the same text. I only quote parts of elaborate questions when they need to be broken down into individual topics for a complete answer.

It is probably fine if the question is just 2-3 lines long. Any more, might I suggest the spoiler box? Condenses lengthy paragraphs into a small box which takes up very little space and helps minimize clutter. :smallsmile:

Granted, it may take a little more work (I can't seem to locate the hotkey, so I typically just type spoiler] and [/spoiler] manually. :smalltongue:

Q 118 cont.

But can one use a ToB maneuver as part of the readied action, i.e. ready the maneuver and take advantage of the extra damage?

A118) You can ready a standard action, so yes, I believe you can ready a standard-action maneuver against a charge.

However, considering that maneuver damage is specifically not multiplied on a crit (even those dealing extra static damage), I would probably rule that the bonus damage is not doubled against a charge either (only the base weapon damage is affected).

Warclam
2010-04-21, 11:29 AM
Q 119

Are there any familiars of the Plant type?

zagan
2010-04-21, 11:45 AM
A 119

Not in any official book. Why do you want one ?

Warclam
2010-04-21, 11:56 AM
A 119

Not in any official book. Why do you want one ?

Flavour reasons for an NPC, not a big deal.

Jastermereel
2010-04-21, 12:14 PM
Q 120

Is there any RAW support for giving a Warforged Cleric the option to spontaneously cast "repair" instead of "cure" themed spell?

If not, is it unreasonable (in your non-RAW opinions) to do so anyway?

KillianHawkeye
2010-04-21, 12:21 PM
A 120 Probably not.

Repair X damage spells are Sorcerer/Wizard only according to Spell Compendium.

zagan
2010-04-21, 12:55 PM
A 120 addentum

I can be done partially, you need to select the warforged domain as one of your domain and take the Cleric ACF(alternative class feature) from the PHBII (p37) that allow you to trade the ability to spontaneously cast cure or inflict spell for the ability to spontaneously cast spell from one of your domain.
The only problem is that the warforged domain doesn't include all the repair line of spell only the 1st, 4th, 7th and 8th level spell of the serie.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-04-21, 01:35 PM
Q 121
Do large weapons (Say a large light crossbow) have higher range increments?

Thurbane
2010-04-21, 04:28 PM
Do large weapons (Say a large light crossbow) have higher range increments?

A 121 please number your questions

No, nothing about weapon size alters range increments.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-04-21, 04:29 PM

Thank you... Oops sorry, about that:smallredface:

Thurbane
2010-04-21, 04:53 PM
Thank you... Oops sorry, about that:smallredface:
No harm, no foul. :smallwink:

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-21, 04:56 PM
Q122

Red Dragons can learn spells form the Cleric spell list as Sorcerer spells.

Can my Red Dragon use a scroll of Cure Light Wounds etc. (he has the requisite CL but does not have the spell on his spells known list)?

Or is it (as I fear) that he could only use a scroll of CLW if it was an arcane scroll (which are obviously very unlikely to pop up)?

Douglas
2010-04-21, 05:02 PM

Correction: As per the Arms and Equipment Guide pages 4-5, each size category difference increases or decreases range increment by 25%.

Runestar
2010-04-21, 05:39 PM
Q122Red Dragons can learn spells form the Cleric spell list as Sorcerer spells.

Can my Red Dragon use a scroll of Cure Light Wounds etc. (he has the requisite CL but does not have the spell on his spells known list)?

Or is it (as I fear) that he could only use a scroll of CLW if it was an arcane scroll (which are obviously very unlikely to pop up)?

A122) He is limited to arcane scrolls of CLW, which exist only if scribed by a bard or another red dragon with knowledge of said spell to my knowledge.

Use a wand instead, they don't care about the arcane/divine distinction. So long as you have said spell on your spell list, you are good to go. :smallsmile:

Curmudgeon
2010-04-21, 06:38 PM
Re: A121

Correction: As per the Arms and Equipment Guide pages 4-5, each size category difference increases or decreases range increment by 25%.
I guess we need a correction for this correction, then. 3.0 weapon sizes and 3.5 weapon sizes mean entirely different things, and thus that old information isn't pertinent to this thread. The information about weapon range changes with size is followed in the very next paragraph by this:
If you’re designing a larger version of such a weapon, increase its reach by 5 feet for each size category it increases. Neither of these are correct using D&D 3.5 weapon size rules.

Thurbane has the right answer.

Sporge
2010-04-21, 10:38 PM
Q123

When using a shadow evocation wind wall, does it actually affect arrows at all since shadow evocation states that objects automatically make the save? Or does an arrow fired by someone still rely on them making the save first?

I can't seem to find this ever really be discussed with a real conclusion.

A secondary question is can you actually use a shadow evocation spell for a contingency? Or do you automatically make will save against your own illusions therefore allowing you to not cast it on yourself but everyone else, or can you choose to fail?

Beorn080
2010-04-21, 10:57 PM
Q124
Does a Golem Manual, in core, allow a non caster who makes a successful Use Magic Devices check to create a golem?

Specifically, the golems require a certain caster level for the spells, and the golem manuals provide the spells at those caster levels. Assuming the non caster creates or purchases the appropriate body, and expends the XP and gold required.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-22, 02:16 AM
A 123

Saving Throw: Will disbelief (if interacted with)
Nondamaging effects have normal effects except against those who disbelieve them. Against disbelievers, they have no effect.
Objects automatically succeed on their Will saves against this spell.
An arrow, once fired, becomes an unattended object.
Saving Throws: Nonmagical, unattended items never make saving throws. They are considered to have failed their saving throws, so they always are affected by (for instance) a disintegrate spell. A Shadow Evocation version of Wind Wall will affect ordinary or masterwork arrows normally. A magical loosed arrow (one with magical enhancement, fired from a magic bow, or under an ongoing spell) will ignore the spell.
A creature can voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept a consequence. That should answer your question about use of Shadow Evocation on yourself.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-22, 02:43 AM
A 124

Creation of a golem from a Golem Manual with Use Magic Device is possible, but it will require multiple UMD checks per day of crafting:

DC 20 Use a Wand checks for each triggered spell
DC X Emulate a class feature, where

X = 20 + level of caster providing desired CL - Manual's CL bonus
You would want to emulate the spellcasting ability of a class with full CL progression, naturally (rather than a class like Paladin).

Golem Manuals do not "provide the spells at those [required] caster levels". They provide the spells (which follow the standard rule of being triggered at the minimum caster level required). The golem crafter must still satisfy the CL minimum requirement for crafting each type of golem, and each Manual provides a bonus to the crafter's caster level for that purpose. That bonus is not enough to satisfy the CL minimum when added to a base caster level of 0.

blackmage5242
2010-04-22, 03:58 AM
Q125

Is there any class that gives Trackless Step without needing to be neutral?
Hopefully not evil either.

SethFahad
2010-04-22, 04:06 AM
Q 126

a) Can I use Magical Artisan feat with Graft Flesh?

b) ECS has some restrictions about grafts. (says that this restrictions aply only to this book) Are there any restrictions about grafts for someone who plays in Forgotten realms campaing? (max number of grafts, multiple grafts from different origins etc.)

c) Rules about grafts say that you must pay XP 1/25 of the price. Which price? 1/25 of market price or 1/25 of creator price?

crazedloon
2010-04-22, 04:37 AM
Q 127

If I have evasive reflexes and take a 5 foot step into the ending square my opponent would be in at the end of their charge (wielding a reach weapon thus they must pass through a threatened square) is their charge ruined or are they simply placed in the square which provoked the AoO and finish their charge?

SethFahad
2010-04-22, 04:50 AM
Q 128

CHAOS DEVOTION [DOMAIN]
The forces of chaos assist you in combat.
Benefit: Once per day as a swift action, you can summon the force of chaos to aid you.
When you activate this ability, roll 1d6.
If the result is odd, add that number as a sacred (if your deity is good or neutral) or profane (if your deity is evil) bonus on your attack rolls until your next action. If the result is even, add that number as a sacred or profane bonus to your AC.
At the beginning of each action thereafter, roll the die again and apply the designated bonus. This effect lasts for 1 minute.When you attain 10th level, the die you roll increases to a d8.
When you attain 15th level, the die increases to a d10.

Ok, how does this work? Please explain.

(Round: I'm activating this abilty [roll 1d6]. [roll 1d6] and I make a move action. [roll 1d6] and I make a standard action. [roll 1d6] and I make a swift action. I keep rolling the bloody d6 before every bloody free action I make)

Uber chaotic!!! :smallfurious:

Eloel
2010-04-22, 05:15 AM
Q 128

Ok, how does this work? Please explain.

(Round: I'm activating this abilty [roll 1d6]. [roll 1d6] and I make a move action. [roll 1d6] and I make a standard action. [roll 1d6] and I make a swift action. I keep rolling the bloody d6 before every bloody free action I make)

Uber chaotic!!! :smallfurious:

It just means that you roll 1d20+1d6 instead of 1d20 for 1 minute. If moving doesn't involve rolling a dice, there's nothing to add a bonus to, thus, no need to roll the d6.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-22, 05:17 AM
A 125

Scout 3, Complete Adventurer (no alignment requirement)
Wildrunner 1, Races of the Wild (good or chaotic)
Nightsong Infiltrator 3, Complete Adventurer (no alignment requirement)
Justice of Weald and Woe 4, Champions of Ruin (no alignment requirement)
Duraak'ash 5, Dragonmarked (no alignment requirement)
Holt Warden 3, Complete Champion (no alignment requirement)

Additionally, Bamboo Spirit Folk (Oriental Adventures) have trackless step as a racial trait.

SethFahad
2010-04-22, 05:31 AM
It just means that you roll 1d20+1d6 instead of 1d20 for 1 minute. If moving doesn't involve rolling a dice, there's nothing to add a bonus to, thus, no need to roll the d6.

Nope. Wrong. Read more carefully.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-22, 05:34 AM
A 128

It just means that you roll 1d20+1d6 instead of 1d20 for 1 minute. That's not quite how it works, because half the time (even numbers) there's no d20 involved.

SethFahad, you're following the letter of the rules correctly. But (practically speaking) you can skip most non-attack rolls when it's your turn; transient changes to your AB or AC don't matter if they're not being matched in an attack. If you happen to provoke an attack of opportunity, belatedly roll the die for your previous action to see if it improves your AC during that AoO. And always roll for the last action of your turn to see if Chaos Devotion boosts your AC when it's not your turn.

Yes, this is über chaotic -- but what should you expect for Chaos Devotion?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-22, 05:49 AM
A 126

a) Yes.

Graft Flesh (Lords of Madness, page 216) is an item creation feat, and Magical Artisan (Player's Guide to Faerûn, page 41) reduces the material costs of a specified item creation feat.

b)

Races of the Dragon has similar restrictions to those in Magic of Eberron, so draconic grafts in Forgotten Realms will have those limitations.

c)

XP costs for item crafting are always based on base (market) price.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-22, 05:57 AM
A 127

An attack of opportunity interrupts a provoking action, but unless that AoO renders it impossible the provoking action continues. If you move during an opponent's charge, they still continue in a straight line (as required) and still attack from the first space possible (as required). If they can attack you after your AoO movement with Evasive Reflexes, they can and must do so. If they can't continue the charge, you've forced them to take move action(s) instead of charging.

crazedloon
2010-04-22, 06:07 AM
Q 127 cont
ok the first part of a charge is the movement where the character is moved to the closest square where they could attack the other character.
"First, you must move to the closest space from which you can attack the opponent."

However the next part of the rules state
"(If this space is occupied or otherwise blocked, you can’t charge.)"

At the beggining of the action that square (i.e. the closest they can attack from) is not occupied. However when the charging character moves through the targets threatened area and causes and AoO the target moves to the square declared as the end point of the charge. Does that not trigger the second statement and make the charge invalid? If that is the case what would the result be?

Note the above happens all before the attack actually happens since the charge action is broken into 2 parts a move and an attack action.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-22, 08:16 AM
Re: A 127
"First, you must move to the closest space from which you can attack the opponent." ... "(If this space is occupied or otherwise blocked, you can’t charge.)"

At the beggining of the action that square (i.e. the closest they can attack from) is not occupied. However when the charging character moves through the targets threatened area and causes and AoO the target moves to the square declared as the end point of the charge. Does that not trigger the second statement and make the charge invalid?
Not necessarily. The conditions to start the charge were valid when it began. If the charge target moves during the charge, that may just redefine where (from which square) the attack part of the charge happens. It's only if the target's movement makes an attack impossible that the charge fails.

Charges can fail for any number of reasons, including difficult terrain that the attacker didn't know about beforehand. The movement still has taken place, though; you don't get to rewrite past events just because a problem occurs. The charge rules are requirements for when you are allowed to deal charge damage, not fundamental laws of how D&D reality works. If you move one square closer to the charger with Evasive Reflexives, most of the time they'll just attack you one square earlier. It's only if you move so they can't reach you, or enough closer that they can't satisfy the minimum 10' movement, that the charge (normally) fails.

Additionally, feats, skills, skill tricks, and class abilities may make it possible for the charger to redirect their path or otherwise overcome problems while charging, so the charge doesn't in fact fail. As long as the conditions to start the charge are (to the knowledge of the charger) met, that movement does take place, and (if it's still possible) the attack happens, too.

Critical
2010-04-22, 08:59 AM
Q129

What are the feats/class features that allow you to use bull rush on weapon attacks?

Keld Denar
2010-04-22, 09:15 AM
A 129

Knockback [Feat] Races of Stone, requires Large+ Size or Powerful Build
Brutal Surge [+1 Equiv Weapon Enhance] Magic Item Compendium 3/day
Charging Minotaur [Manevuer] Tome of Battle, end of a charge
Colossus Strike [Manevuer] Tome of Battle

Il_Vec
2010-04-22, 10:10 AM
Q130
Is there anywhere I can find a list of all races/templates with +0 LA and no RHD (thus playable at CL1)?

Q131
What race/template(s) have the higher racial bonus to Strengh available to ECL 1? And to Int?

PanNarrans
2010-04-22, 10:11 AM
Q132

Do synergy bonuses to skills stack? For example, for a character with Diplomacy and 5 ranks in both Bluff and Sense Motive.

Volthawk
2010-04-22, 10:12 AM
Q 133

If I use Lycanthrope with an animal with less than one HD (e.g. a cat), how does that affect ECL?

MarvinMartian
2010-04-22, 10:20 AM
A 132:

Yes they stack; as technically they are "unnamed" bonuses coming from different sources. Unnamed bonuses stack. Player's Handbook talks about Skill synergies and +2 bonuses; but no where does it say that this is a Synergy Bonus.

Kaulesh
2010-04-22, 10:44 AM
A 130-1
Both questions should be answered here. (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php) I haven't gone through the whole pdf yet, but there is a pdf with supposedly every template in it, as well as which book they can be found in.

Amphetryon
2010-04-22, 10:49 AM
Q 99What's the lowest CR Fine-sized creature that isn't part of a swarm?
BUMP. Dragging this one forward; I didn't see an answer in the intervening pages.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-22, 10:52 AM
A 130

You want the Master Player Race List (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19546874/Master_Player_Race_List_Version_20?num=10).

A 131

You'll find several choices with +4 STR and +2 INT in the above list; those are the best bonuses available at ECL 1.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-22, 11:08 AM
A 133

ECL increases by +2 for an afflicted Lycanthrope. The rules don't have any instructions regarding rounding ECL up or down, so an afflicted cat would be ECL 2½.

Il_Vec
2010-04-22, 11:57 AM
Q134

What is an "Incarnate Construct" and what book is it in?

Volthawk
2010-04-22, 11:58 AM
A 134

It's a template in Savage Species, which lets you turn a construct into a humanoid or giant.

Irreverent Fool
2010-04-22, 03:44 PM
Q 135 (post 341 is mis-labeled)

Once a character acquires a skill as a class skill, is it still considered a class skill for the purposes of maximum ranks even if the character levels up as a class which no longer has this skill as a class skill?

That is, if I take Human Factotum 1 and Able Learner, does it effectively make all skills class skills forever?

Sliver
2010-04-22, 03:50 PM
A 135

Yes.

Skills: If a skill is a class skill for any of a multiclass character’s classes, then character level determines a skill’s maximum rank. (The maximum rank for a class skill is 3 + character level.)

Beorn080
2010-04-22, 08:33 PM
Q136

If I depict, using Marvelous Pigments, a small room, within the dimensions given, on the back of my flesh golem, would said room be contained within the golem? According to RAW and the SRD.

Thurbane
2010-04-22, 09:09 PM
Q 137

Regarding advancing monsters and relative CR increase: Undead, for example, increase by +1 CR with each extra 4HD. Is there any RAW on partial HD increment increase? For instance, if I advance an undead by 6HD, is is +1 CR or +2 CR? Or is it intended that you should only raise Undead by increments of 4? (If the latter is the case, some monsters break this rule by having max HD limits that aren't divisible by the relevant increment).

Raptor2213
2010-04-23, 04:17 AM
A137
MM 3.5 goes into some detail on this on page 294-295, but is excessively vague about the CR due to HD. Savage species pg 107 flat-out says that each class level adds +1 to CR, and each monstrous HD adds +1/2 to HD.

As far as your initial question, based off the information in the MM 3.5, if you made what was effectively a 2 1/2 CR critter, you would have to round up or down, your choice, based off how powered it is.

You could also pull out BESM and equate a monster's abilities to their point system to get a decent gauge of how powered it is (though note that BESM is high-powered to begin with).

The bottom line is though, there is no 100% guaranteed method for CR. A lot of it is playtesting. If you make something, the only way to do a decent gauge of how powered it is, is to test it and estimate it's CR based of how badly it rapes a party ore vice-versa.

AngelisBlack
2010-04-23, 03:38 PM
Q 138

Question: What is the listen check to hear a coup de grace attack made against a sleeping person? Or is an opposed check needed?

Situation: A rouge sneaks into a Wizard's academy and tries to attack the students while asleep. What is the listen check needed for a sleeping student to actually hear said rouge kill a sleeping person in the same room?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-23, 04:15 PM
A 138

This would be an opposed Move Silently check instead of a fixed DC for Listen.
Your Listen check is either made against a DC that reflects how quiet the noise is that you might hear, or it is opposed by your target’s Move Silently check.

In the case of people trying to be quiet, the DCs given on the table could be replaced by Move Silently checks, in which case the indicated DC would be their average check result.

subject42
2010-04-23, 07:14 PM
Q 139

If you have a bite attack from a class feature, racial ability, feat, template, or what-have-you, and then you gain a bit attack from another source, do you now have two bite attacks, or do you take the better one?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-23, 08:17 PM
A 139

If you get another set of jaws, you have two bite attacks. If not, just one; use the better damage.

Derjuin
2010-04-24, 09:04 AM
Q 140

If I am playing a gestalt Dread Necromancer // Cleric, and I want to use the Unearthed Arcana variant of the Cleric (Champion of Good), do I only lose the Cleric's ability to turn undead, and keep the Necromancer's ability to rebuke them?

KillianHawkeye
2010-04-24, 12:10 PM
A 140

Yes, you trade your Cleric's Turn Undead class feature for a Paladin's Smite Evil (or Smite Good) and Aura of Courage class features. It has no effect on your abilities as a Dread Necromancer whatsoever. As far as I am aware, the fact that you're playing gestalt shouldn't make a difference.

GeminiVeil
2010-04-24, 12:33 PM
Q141
The dragon disciple in the DMG pg 183-185, the pre-req says "Any nondragon (cannot already be a half-dragon)" Does this mean that ONLY half-dragon's cannot take the class, or if you creature type is dragon, you can't take it? For example, if I am a kobold who has the dragonwrought feat (races of the dragon, pg 100) am I allowed to take dragon disciple?

The Glyphstone
2010-04-24, 12:37 PM
Q142:

A character casting an figment, phantasm, or other illusion spell automatically knows it is not real, and so by the rules of illusions, needs no saving throw to disbelieve it. However, any character can choose to willingly fail a saving throw. Which of these takes precedence in the case of a Shadow Conjuration spell creating something whose 'reality' would be dependent on passing or failing a saving throw?

(For a specific example, a wizard uses Shadow Conjuration mimicing Wall of Stone to create a 'stone bridge' across a chasm. Can he willingly fail his save despite knowing it's an illusion, thus having a failsafe escape route, while any monsters pursuing him would roll their save upon trying to cross the bridge, potentially disbelieving and being left with an unsafe route?)

Curmudgeon
2010-04-24, 01:16 PM
A 141

The requirement is that you cannot be of the dragon type (with an explanatory note that that includes being a half-dragon). Dragonwrought also makes your type dragon, so that precludes taking levels of Dragon Disciple.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-24, 01:26 PM
A 142

Shadow illusions create effects that can be real. The caster has the option to accept that reality by foregoing a saving throw.

Derjuin
2010-04-24, 02:03 PM
Q 143

Can a Dread Necromancer with the Tomb-Tainted Soul feat heal themselves of 1 point of damage per turn by using Charnel Touch on him- or herself?

Also, is the above considered cheesed/abusive of game mechanics?

Eloel
2010-04-24, 02:42 PM
Q 143

Can a Dread Necromancer with the Tomb-Tainted Soul feat heal themselves of 1 point of damage per turn by using Charnel Touch on him- or herself?

Also, is the above considered cheesed/abusive of game mechanics?

A143
Yes. There's a reason any Dread Necromancer not starting at L20 (and thus already Lich) is either a Necropolitan, or has that feat. No, it's not cheesy imo - you're paying a feat for it.

KillianHawkeye
2010-04-24, 02:54 PM
A143
Yes. There's a reason any Dread Necromancer not starting at L20 (and thus already Lich) is either a Necropolitan, or has that feat. No, it's not cheesy imo - you're paying a feat for it.

Also, since you're only getting 1 point per round, it's usefulness during combat is severely limited. It basically just amounts to free healing to full after every fight.

Sliver
2010-04-24, 03:59 PM
^ IIRC, if you are using the TTS feat, you aren't counted as an undead for the ability, so you gain hp as if you were supposed to be damaged by it.

Q 144

Can a Crusader benefit from Vital Recovery?

Raptor2213
2010-04-24, 04:04 PM
Q145
If a character with a 15' reach uses the feat Power Lunge (Sword and Fist or Ghostwalk, which says that you provoke an attack of opportunity from the opponent you charged), on an opponent with a 10' reach or less, do they get to make the attack of opportunity, or is it simply negated because even if they did use it, they couldn't hit the character?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-24, 04:37 PM
A 145

You can only make melee attacks in squares you threaten, so this enemy with <= 10' reach has no AoO against a charging attacker with 15' reach.
An enemy that takes certain actions while in a threatened square provokes an attack of opportunity from you.

Myou
2010-04-24, 04:51 PM
Q 146

Does the Beguilder capstone ignore magic immunity, since it's treated like infinite SR, or not? I'm guessing not, but I'd like to be sure.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-04-24, 05:14 PM
Q147: how much is the keep gained by the deck of many things throne card (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/artifacts.htm#throne) worth anyways?

LordShotGun
2010-04-24, 05:23 PM
Q 148

Is there a magic item (a bracer I belive) that gives unlimited throwing daggers? Similar to jaralax's item in forgotten realms lore.

PanNarrans
2010-04-24, 05:27 PM
Q 149

Does the Cleave feat activate if an attack made as part of a charge drops an enemy?

TheMadLinguist
2010-04-24, 05:52 PM
Q147: how much is the keep gained by the deck of many things throne card (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/artifacts.htm#throne) worth anyways?
A147
It's statted out in the stronghold builder's guidebook.

Thurbane
2010-04-24, 06:29 PM
A 149

You would be able to cleave normally on any target within reach at the point where you ended your charge and dropped the target.

KillianHawkeye
2010-04-24, 06:30 PM
^ IIRC, if you are using the TTS feat, you aren't counted as an undead for the ability, so you gain hp as if you were supposed to be damaged by it.

Correction:

Benefit: You are healed by negative energy and harmed by positive energy as if you were an undead creature. This feat gives no other penalties or benefits of the undead type.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-24, 06:57 PM
A 146

If you're referring to Spell Immunity, you guess correctly.
Cloaked Casting (Ex):

At 20th level, you become able to automatically overcome the spell resistance of any affected target.
Spell Immunity

A creature with spell immunity avoids the effects of spells and spell-like abilities that directly affect it. This works exactly like spell resistance, except that it cannot be overcome. As Spell Immunity cannot be overcome, the Beguiler cannot overcome it.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-24, 07:10 PM
A 146 continued
Yeah, that is the Jauggernaut vs Blob question.
Perfect offense vs Perfect Defense situation.

Defense wins vs offense in those sutuation unless Offense says "even if".

Thurbane
2010-04-24, 07:30 PM
A 148

Gauntlets of Infinite Blades (MIC p.101)

TheMadLinguist
2010-04-24, 09:40 PM
A149 Tomb tainted soul does technically give extra healing, since charnel touch has two functions

A) living creatures touched get d8 negative energy damage. You heal as if you were undead, so gain d8.

B) undead creatures heal 1. You aren't undead, so this doesn't come up.

Killer Angel
2010-04-25, 04:32 AM
Q150
With UMD I can emulate a class feature, Druid's wild shape ability.
Am I entitled to use a Druid's Vestment, thus gaining effectively the use of wild shape ability 1/day?

Seth1221
2010-04-25, 04:46 AM
Q151

Who is allowed to use wands and staffs? Obviously a spellcaster or someone with ranks in UMD but can a cleric use wand of fireball? Or in order to cast something from a wand a spellcaster has to have the spell on his list?

ka_bna
2010-04-25, 04:50 AM
Q151:
A PvP situation arose in my game. The wizard cast Charm Person on the thieving rogue. Charm person has the line: The spell does not enable you to control the charmed person as if it were an automaton, but it perceives your words and actions in the most favorable way. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/charmperson.htm)
The question is: Most favourable for whom? The caster, the target, or even the DM?:smallwink:
Case to clarify: the wizard said "It is not a good idea to steal that."
Most favourable reply of the rogue for caster: "You're right, I'll put it down."
Most favourable reply for target: "You'd be right, but I'll take it anyway."
Most favourable reply for DM: "I'll just put it down and move on. Oh, and I'm sorry."

Killer Angel
2010-04-25, 05:03 AM
Q151:
A PvP situation arose in my game. The wizard cast Charm Person on the thieving rogue. Charm person has the line: The spell does not enable you to control the charmed person as if it were an automaton, but it perceives your words and actions in the most favorable way. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/charmperson.htm)
The question is: Most favourable for whom? The caster, the target, or even the DM?:smallwink:
Case to clarify: the wizard said "It is not a good idea to steal that."
Most favourable reply of the rogue for caster: "You're right, I'll put it down."
Most favourable reply for target: "You'd be right, but I'll take it anyway."
Most favourable reply for DM: "I'll just put it down and move on. Oh, and I'm sorry."

A152(?)
Your question should be numbered as 152. Q151 was posted by Seth1221.
Anyway, is the most favourable for the caster: after all he's become the trusted friend and ally of the target...

Curmudgeon
2010-04-25, 05:41 AM
A 150 Yes.

You'll need to satisfy all the requirements of being a Druid with the wild shape ability, including a neutral alignment (which you can also emulate with Use Magic Device). Furthermore, to maintain the ongoing magical alternate form provided by the activated item you'll need to repeat these UMD checks each hour.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-25, 05:57 AM
A 151

For a fuller explanation of spell trigger items, read Dungeon Master's Guide pages 213, 243, and 245; and Rules Compendium pages 85-86.

Essentially, using a wand or staff requires the following:

You've got a spell list because of your level(s) in a spellcasting class.
The item includes a spell that's on your list.
You've determined what spell that is (through some mechanism like Identify).
If you and the wand/staff meet those three requirements, you can trigger the contained spell.

If you don't satisfy the two spell list requirements, the Use Magic Device Use a Wand feature can substitute for them. You still need to identify what spell is contained in an item first to use Use a Wand. If not, you can instead use Activate Blindly to substitute for all three spell trigger requirements.

ori_natic
2010-04-25, 01:58 PM
Q 153

Two questions, really:

If I'm a druid with Initiate of Nature,

a.) How many animals per druid level can I command?
b.) Is there any way to increase this number via feats or items?

Sliver
2010-04-25, 02:15 PM
Repost, seems as it was missed:

Q 144

Can a Crusader benefit from Vital Recovery?

Awetugiw
2010-04-25, 06:50 PM
Q 154.
Suppose I polymorph into, say, an animal. This changes my type to animal, but I do not gain the special qualities of the new form. Low-light vision is a special quality, so I won't get it from my assumed form. However, the animal type comes with built-in low-light vision.

Do I get low-light vision from my new type?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-25, 08:12 PM
A 154 No.

Polymorph establishes exactly what you get by changing form, and you don't get low-light vision from that spell. The principal benefit of gaining a new type is for subsequent effects that are dependent on type.

Kaulesh
2010-04-25, 08:56 PM
A 144
All signs point to yes.

If, at the end of your turn you cannot be granted a maneuver because you have no withheld maneuvers remaining, you recover all expended maneuvers, and a new pair of readied maneuvers is granted to you.

Prerequisite: Two martial maneuvers
Benefit: When you recover one or more expended maneuvers, you heal 3 points of damage + 1 point per character level. You can gain this benefit only once per encounter.

As crusaders always know at least two maneuvers, they would seem to qualify.

Although, the Vital Recovery feat specifically mentions recovering expended maneuvers. Crusaders can refresh all of their maneuvers even if they have used none - they gain one of their withheld maneuver every turn while they still have a supply withheld maneuvers. When that supply runs out, they are refreshed. Strictly by RAW, it looks like you would have to actually use one of your maneuvers first before gaining the benefit.

Plus, the feat isn't listed as non-crusaders only, unlike a few other feats in the book.

Kyuu Himura
2010-04-25, 09:04 PM
Q 155

If I use iaijutsu focus on a full attack, assuming I meet all the conditions, do all of my attacks get the bonus dice of damage or just the first one??

Curmudgeon
2010-04-25, 09:11 PM
A 155

It's the first attack immediately after drawing a melee weapon, not including subsequent attacks in the same round.

Il_Vec
2010-04-25, 09:19 PM
Q156

What is "Stand Still"? What book is it in?

Claudius Maximus
2010-04-25, 09:27 PM
A 156

Stand Still is a feat from the Expanded Psionics Handbook. As most of the XPH is OGL, it is included in the SRD and can be found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#standStill).

Il_Vec
2010-04-25, 10:14 PM
Q157

What is Versatile Spellcaster? Where can I find it?

Thurbane
2010-04-25, 10:17 PM
A 157

It is a feat from Races of the Dragon.

The Consolidated Lists Archive (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/lists) is very handy for this kind of query.

sofawall
2010-04-25, 10:38 PM
A 155, Addendum:
If you can draw multiple weapons during a full attack, you can get the Iaijutsu bonus dice multiple times.

Telkanis
2010-04-25, 11:06 PM
Q 156

Does the extra crit damage from Burst (Shocking, Flaming, etc.) stack with the Thundering property's extra crit damage?

Jon_Dahl
2010-04-26, 12:07 AM
Q 157

Does pearly white Ioun Stone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#iounStones) regenerate lost body parts?

Temotei
2010-04-26, 12:09 AM
Q 157

Does pearly white Ioun Stone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#iounStones) regenerate lost body parts?

A 157

Yes. The pearly white ioun stone says under its entry that it follows the ring of regeneration's properties. Read below for those rules.

Regeneration
This white gold ring continually allows a living wearer to heal 1 point of damage per level every hour rather than every day. (This ability cannot be aided by the Heal skill.) Nonlethal damage heals at a rate of 1 point of damage per level every 5 minutes. If the wearer loses a limb, an organ, or any other body part while wearing this ring, the ring regenerates it as the spell. In either case, only damage taken while wearing the ring is regenerated.

Yora
2010-04-26, 02:08 AM
A156: Yes it does.
Or rather, it doesn't stack, but is applied seperately.

JeenLeen
2010-04-26, 08:57 AM
Q 158

About the spell Enlarge Weapon (Complete Scroundel): it states that you use the weapon without any penalty/difficulty because of it being oversized for you. By RAW, if you cast it on a weapon already oversized for you and thus giving you penalties (such as a medium person casting it on a large weapon), can you then use the enlarged weapon without difficulty or penalty?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-26, 11:15 AM
A 158

As long as your weapon isn't already boosted in size, you can use it without size penalties. Any nonproficiency and encumbrance penalties apply as usual.

Note that the rules only specify weapon weight doubling per size category in the small to large range; beyond that there's no direct specification. If you refer to DMG page 136 it says "the laws of physics are applicable", which means each size increase doubles length and increases weight by a factor of 8; this also agrees with the Enlarge Person spell.
This spell causes instant growth of a humanoid creature, doubling its height and multiplying its weight by 8.
All equipment worn or carried by a creature is similarly enlarged by the spell.

herbe
2010-04-26, 11:49 AM
Q159

Is fiendish elf lose his fiendish template when it become spellscale?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-26, 12:37 PM
A 159 No.

A humanoid with the fiendish template has racial traits and template traits. The Rite of Spellscale Assumption only strips away the racial traits; the template remains.

Pelfaid
2010-04-26, 02:26 PM
Q 160

How does the Powerful Build racial ability of the Goliath affect reach weapons?
Mainly, if they use a Large spiked chain, what are do they threaten?

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-04-26, 02:49 PM
A147
It's statted out in the stronghold builder's guidebook.Page number? Obviously I looked there first but couldn't find it. Telling which book it is in does not answer the question

Curmudgeon
2010-04-26, 03:10 PM
Re: A 147

Page number? Obviously I looked there first but couldn't find it. Telling which book it is in does not answer the question
Actually, it does. The entire book is about building such a structure, with detailed costs for all facets of the construction. Chapter 4 includes some example keeps, with the cheapest costing 70,000 gp.

Divide by Zero
2010-04-26, 03:43 PM
Q 161

A 13th-level duskblade's Arcane Channeling "affects each target you hit in melee that round." Does this include attacks of opportunity, Cleave hits, and other extra attacks?

powerdemon
2010-04-26, 04:37 PM
Q 160

How does the Powerful Build racial ability of the Goliath affect reach weapons?
Mainly, if they use a Large spiked chain, what are do they threaten?

A 160 Weapon size does not determine reach, character size does (most of the time) so in this case a large chain and a medium chain would both have the 10' reach.

sofawall
2010-04-26, 04:49 PM
Re: A 147

Actually, it does. The entire book is about building such a structure, with detailed costs for all facets of the construction. Chapter 4 includes some example keeps, with the cheapest costing 70,000 gp.

So the card from the Deck of Many Things could grant, for example, The Cube? The question was not about building a keep, but what is the keep the Deck of Many Things can grant. It therefore answers absolutely nothing. Please read the question before answering, Curmudgeon.

PBMC, I don't think there's an answer for this.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-26, 05:23 PM
The question was not about building a keep, but what is the keep the Deck of Many Things can grant. It therefore answers absolutely nothing. Please read the question before answering, Curmudgeon.
I read the question, and suggest you do the same. The Throne card has as a Summary of Effect:
Gain a +6 bonus on Diplomacy checks plus a small keep. There are no further details, so there is no the keep, but rather a keep. Since it's specified as small, I referenced the small keep from Chapter 4 of Stronghold Builder's Guidebook as an example of the approximate gp value. However, as with all aspects of real estate, location matters. Using the whole book as a reference will provide the best possible answer for your setting.

sofawall
2010-04-26, 06:57 PM
So there is no fixed RAW answer? Because the Cube is fairly small, you know. It could even be called a Keep.

In that case, I stand by my "There is no definitive RAW answer" statement.

ori_natic
2010-04-26, 07:42 PM
Repost - this got skipped

Q 153

Two questions, really:

If I'm a druid with Initiate of Nature,

a.) How many animals per druid level can I command?
b.) Is there any way to increase this number via feats or items?

Thurbane
2010-04-26, 09:32 PM
A 161

By the wording of the ability, it would affect every creature you hit in that round, including normal attacks, AoO, cleaves and any others.

Thurbane
2010-04-26, 09:42 PM
Q 162

Chill Touch specifies that "You can use this melee touch attack up to one time per level." It also has a duration of instantaneous:

Instantaneous: The spell energy comes and goes the instant the spell is cast, though the consequences might be long-lasting.

Touch Spells and Holding the Charge: In most cases, if you don’t discharge a touch spell on the round you cast it, you can hold the charge (postpone the discharge of the spell) indefinitely. You can make touch attacks round after round. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates.

Some touch spells allow you to touch multiple targets as part of the spell. You can’t hold the charge of such a spell; you must touch all targets of the spell in the same round that you finish casting the spell.
How can you touch more than 1 creature in the same round you cast the spell? Do the additional touches only therefore apply to AoO, or if the character somehow has more than 1 standard action in that round? Or is the effect instantaneous, lasting indefinitely until he either make one Chill Touch attack per level or until he casts another spell?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-26, 10:01 PM
A 162

The way most touch range spells use the Duration field is to specify how long the effect lasts upon the charge being delivered by touch. (Touching multiple targets in the casting round is for willing recipients of a spell, such as Teleport (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/teleport.htm).) With Chill Touch the duration of the effect is instantaneous damage to your target on a successful touch attack. You retain charges of the spell after casting until they're all expended (including inadvertently by touching allies).

crazedloon
2010-04-26, 10:35 PM
Q163

Do you require a feat to craft magic traps? If so what feat?

TheMadLinguist
2010-04-27, 01:47 AM
Page number? Obviously I looked there first but couldn't find it. Telling which book it is in does not answer the question

It's the "cheap keep". Sorry, don't have page number for the "this is the type of keep used my the deck of many things", but I know it's in there.

Leinad
2010-04-27, 02:01 AM
A163

Craft wondrous Item feat.

Magic Traps (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm#designingATrap)

As with mechanical traps, you don’t have to do anything other than decide what elements you want and then determine the CR of the resulting trap (see Table: CR Modifiers for Magic Traps). If a player character wants to design and construct a magic trap, he must have the Craft Wondrous Item feat. In addition, he must be able to cast the spell or spells that the trap requires—or, failing that, he must be able to hire an NPC to cast the spells for him.

Thurbane
2010-04-27, 05:22 AM
Page 105, in the second sentence under the heading "THE CHEAP KEEP".

Awetugiw
2010-04-27, 07:49 AM
Q 164
Elemental wild shape lets a druid wildshape into an "elemental (air, earth, fire, or water)". Is this "elemental" a monster name (as in Air Elemental (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/monstersEtoF.html#air-elemental)) or a monster type (with the elements as subtypes)?

Runestar
2010-04-27, 08:04 AM
Q 164
Elemental wild shape lets a druid wildshape into an "elemental (air, earth, fire, or water)". Is this "elemental" a monster name (as in Air Elemental (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/monstersEtoF.html#air-elemental)) or a monster type (with the elements as subtypes)?

It refers to the air, earth, fire and water elementals as statted in the monster manual.

This is indirectly referenced in the improved elemental wildshape epic feat.

Improved Elemental Wild Shape [Wild][Epic]
Prerequisites: Wis 25, ability to wild shape into an elemental.

Benefit

Your ability to wild shape into an elemental is expanded to include all elemental creatures (not just air, earth, fire, and water elementals) of any size that you can take when using wild shape to become an animal. You gain all extraordinary and supernatural abilities of the elemental whose form you take.

Normal: Without this feat, you may only wild shape into a Small, Medium-size, or Large air, earth, fire, or water elemental.

Your Nemesis
2010-04-27, 09:43 AM
Q 165

Do multiple instances of fast healing stack?

KillianHawkeye
2010-04-27, 09:47 AM
A 165 Only if it's explicitly mentioned.

Runestar
2010-04-27, 04:22 PM
Q 165

Do multiple instances of fast healing stack?

A166: I feel they don't so much stack as operate together concurrently. For example, if you have fast healing 1 and later get fast healing 3 via a feat, you effectively have fast healing 4, because you have 2 sources healing you for 1 and 3 damage respectively every round).

Eldonauran
2010-04-27, 04:52 PM
Q 166

If a Druid takes the Druidic Avenger variant class, and gain fast movement (as barbarian) is it legal to trade this off and take pounce as per the lion totem barbarian variant?

TheMadLinguist
2010-04-27, 05:34 PM
Q 166

If a Druid takes the Druidic Avenger variant class, and gain fast movement (as barbarian) is it legal to trade this off and take pounce as per the lion totem barbarian variant?

A 166: No.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-04-27, 05:36 PM
Q167: Is there any shield that allows TWF like a buckler but can have shield spikes on it?

vampire2948
2010-04-27, 05:58 PM
Q168

Can I use spell-casting advancing classes, such as the Master of Masks PrC from Complete Scoundrel to advance casting from Mystic Theurge? And therefore gain an arcane and divine caster level for non-dual progression casting classes?

Assuming my build were something like Cleric 3 / Wizard 3 / Mystic Theurge 1 / Master of Masks 2.

Would I have 4th and 5th CL, or both at 5th?

The wording of Master of Masks spellcasting progression is:

At 2nd, 4th, 7th and 9th level you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had just gained a level in a spellcasting class you belonged to before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit that class may have gained. If you had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a master of masks, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

Thanks,
Vampire2948,

Runestar
2010-04-27, 06:06 PM
Q168)
Q168

Can I use spell-casting advancing classes, such as the Master of Masks PrC from Complete Scoundrel to advance casting from Mystic Theurge? And therefore gain an arcane and divine caster level for non-dual progression casting classes?

Assuming my build were something like Cleric 3 / Wizard 3 / Mystic Theurge 1 / Master of Masks 2.

Would I have 4th and 5th CL, or both at 5th?

The wording of Master of Masks spellcasting progression is:
Quote:
At 2nd, 4th, 7th and 9th level you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had just gained a level in a spellcasting class you belonged to before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit that class may have gained. If you had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a master of masks, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.
Thanks,Vampire2948,

A168) Mystic theurge is not considered a spellcasting class because it does not have its own spell list, unlike classes such as wizard, bard or even assassin and paladin. So you would not be able to improve it with another spellcasting prc.

Else, there would be no reason to take more than 1 lv of mystic theurge ever. :smallamused:

Curmudgeon
2010-04-27, 06:22 PM
A 166 [correction] No.

iirc yes. This one is a class ability substitution, not a class level sub.

Each alternative class feature presented here provides a new divine theme for that particular class. The substitution of the fast movement feature is only for the Barbarian class.

TheMadLinguist got this right.

Eldonauran
2010-04-27, 06:42 PM
A 166 [correction] No.

The substitution of the fast movement feature is only for the Barbarian class.

TheMadLinguist got this right.

Good to know. Thank you.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-04-27, 11:26 PM
TheMadLinguist got this right.ninja'd the 1 time I go off memory... editing

Godskook
2010-04-27, 11:34 PM
Q169

If I have a naturally small sizing weapon, and cast Greater Mighty Whallop on it while it is a small weapon, what happens when I use sizing to adjust the size to large? Is the weapon now treated as colossal++ or colossal?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-27, 11:39 PM
A 169 Colossal.

Regardless of the size of the weapon, Greater Mighty Wallop is restricted "to a maximum of five size categories or up to an effective size of Colossal." As this is included in the description of the spell, it's an ongoing limit for the duration.

Godskook
2010-04-28, 02:48 AM
Q170

Are there any swords with reach?

Raptor2213
2010-04-28, 09:15 AM
A166: I feel they don't so much stack as operate together concurrently. For example, if you have fast healing 1 and later get fast healing 3 via a feat, you effectively have fast healing 4, because you have 2 sources healing you for 1 and 3 damage respectively every round).

A166 Correction

Personal feelings are not RAW.

Claudius Maximus
2010-04-28, 04:02 PM
Q 171

Other than Telflammar Shadowlord, what means, if any, exist to gain Shadow Pounce or an equivalent ability?

Runestar
2010-04-28, 04:15 PM
Q170

Are there any swords with reach?

A170) Spinning sword from secrets of sarlonna. Though its picture looks more like a whip of some kind...:smalltongue:

Godskook
2010-04-28, 07:23 PM
A170) Spinning sword from secrets of sarlonna. Though its picture looks more like a whip of some kind...:smalltongue:

R170

Because it is a whip of some sort, not a sword.

The spinning sword,...., is a whiplike weapon...

sofawall
2010-04-28, 07:54 PM
R170

Because it is a whip of some sort, not a sword.

For the record, a Claymore is clublike, but last I checked it was sword.

Warclam
2010-04-28, 10:56 PM
Q 172

Is a dead character automatically considered to be at -10 hit points? Specifically, will a Thief of Life still gain their benefits for killing someone with a sneak attack even if the damage isn't what kills them (poison, death attack, etc.)?

TheMadLinguist
2010-04-29, 12:25 AM
Q 171

Other than Telflammar Shadowlord, what means, if any, exist to gain Shadow Pounce or an equivalent ability?

That one orien class from dragonmarked?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-29, 12:54 AM
A 172 No.

From Dungeon Master's Guide Chapter 8, in the "Condition Summary" section:
Dead: The character’s hit points are reduced to -10, his Constitution drops to 0, or he is killed outright by a spell or effect. The character’s soul leaves his body. Dead characters cannot benefit from normal or magical healing, but they can be restored to life via magic. A dead body decays normally unless magically preserved, but magic that restores a dead character to life also restores the body either to full health or to its condition at the time of death (depending on the spell or device).
Either way, resurrected characters need not worry about rigor mortis, decomposition, and other conditions that affect dead bodies.
Reducing your target's hit points to -10 is a way to make them dead, but killing someone outright by a spell or effect does not in itself affect hit points; rather they are (usually) irrelevant. The Thief of Life abilities are conditional on affecting hit points directly with a sneak attack.

Seth1221
2010-04-29, 02:55 AM
Q 173

Can a druid change form directly from one animal to the other, without changing back to humanoid form?

Q 174

Summon nature's ally description says:

This spell summons a natural creature. It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn.

Does that mean immediatly on my next turn or the same turn when I cast the spell?

Thurbane
2010-04-29, 03:45 AM
For the record, a Claymore is clublike, but last I checked it was sword.
A 170 continued apologies if this goes beyond the scope of this thread

It is a "sword" in name only - the spinning sword is a triple-lashed whip made of flexible metal. It is no more a sword than a Ford Mustang is a horse.

Eloel
2010-04-29, 04:01 AM
Q 174

Summon nature's ally description says:

Does that mean immediatly on my next turn or the same turn when I cast the spell?
A174
SNA has 1-round casting time. So the spell is done at the start of your next turn. That means the creature acts at 'next' turn - aka the turn you finish casting.

SethFahad
2010-04-29, 05:34 AM
Q175

Can a Monk multiclass freely with Swordsage (monk-like version)?

Q176

Does Clinging Shadow maneuver stack with Child of Shadow stance?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-29, 09:49 AM
A 175 No.

The goal of the unarmed Swordsage adaptation is "to create a monklike character" without using the Monk class, not be a companion class to the standard Monk.
A monk who gains a new class or (if already multiclass) raises another class by a level may never again raise her monk level, though she retains all her monk abilities. The standard Monk class limitations remain in effect.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-29, 10:02 AM
A 176 That depends.

By standard rules, miss chances of different types and from different sources will coexist just fine.

However, there's a confusing bit in Rules Compendium:
Multiple concealment conditions don’t stack. If a creature receives miss chances from multiple sources, such as from being incorporeal and having concealment, only the highest miss chance applies. The confusion stems from the fact that the miss chance for being incorporeal has nothing to do with concealment, but rather from having no physical body.
An incorporeal creature has no physical body. It can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons or creatures that strike as magic weapons, and spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural abilities. It is immune to all nonmagical attack forms. Even when hit by spells or magic weapons, it has a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source (except for positive energy, negative energy, force effects such as magic missile, or attacks made with ghost touch weapons). If you follow the Rules Compendium you'll get only the best of all miss chances, regardless of type or source. Of course, since Rules Compendium doesn't describe itself as a rules supplement, the WotC Primary Sources rule would have you disregard any content where that book disagrees with the 3 core books.

It's your DM's call. Do note that Rules Compendium provides an out for the DM here:
DEGREES OF CONCEALMENT
It usually isn’t worth differentiating between more degrees of concealment. However, the DM can rule that certain situations provide more or less than typical concealment, and modify the miss chance accordingly. If your DM wants to figure out the total miss chance using pre-RC rules (such as 50% from being incorporeal and 20% from concealment = 60% total miss chance) and always use that as the modified miss chance, there's no conflict. :smallsmile:

WarKitty
2010-04-29, 10:07 AM
Q 177

Does a creature summoned to appear right next to an opponent provoke an attack of opportunity?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-29, 10:11 AM
A 177 No.

Typical provocations for an attack of opportunity involve doing something in a threatened square, such as standing from prone or moving out of such a threatened square. Just existing (or coming into existence) in a threatened square does not in itself provoke an AoO.

Cog
2010-04-29, 03:37 PM
Q 178

Tome of Battle's Snap Kick feat gives you an extra attack when you make another melee attack, for a penalty on your attacks.

A) If this gets used for an Attack of Opportunity, does the penalty carry over onto your next turn? Or do you need to take the penalty starting on your previous turn to be able to use Snap Kick's attack?

B) Does the additional attack require use of another AoO for the round (I.e., one triggering action provokes two attacks and counts as two uses)?

C) There's technically no limit per-round on the feat's use. You can trigger it with a Full Attack, or any attack. If your BAB is 7/2, can you count each separate attack as a trigger for Snap Kick? Presumably the penalties would be cumulative.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-29, 04:21 PM
A 178

A) Your round always ends at your next initiative count, just before you would normally start your next turn. Thus starting to use Snap Kick on an attack of opportunity would carry those penalties through other AoOs and any immediate action you take, but would end at your next normal initiative.

B) No.

The Snap Kick feat grants you an unarmed attack under any of the triggering conditions. This doesn't use up another AoO when your triggering melee attack occurs on an attack of opportunity any more than Snap Kick uses up another standard action when the triggering melee attack is made as a standard action.

C)
When you make a melee attack with one or more melee weapons (including a standard attack, full attack, or even a strike maneuver), you can make an additional attack at your highest attack bonus. You get an additional attack when the trigger is a full attack: that is, just one Snap Kick unarmed attack if your full attack includes one or more melee attacks. You would need an additional trigger to get another Snap Kick attack.

Sc00by
2010-04-29, 08:29 PM
Q 179

Is there a reason why you can't have 1 level of Cleric, take Divine Vigor and Quickened Turning then give yourself your character level x2 temporary hit points every round as a free action?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-29, 08:50 PM
A 179
Benefit: As a standard action, spend one of your turn or rebuke undead attempts to increase your base speed by 10 feet and gain +2 temporary hit points per character level.
Benefit: You can turn or rebuke undead as a free action. Divine Vigor requires a standard action and a turn/rebuke attempt. Quicken Turning only speeds up actual turning or rebuking of undead, not the uses of turn/rebuke attempts for other purposes. You could give yourself the benefits of Divine Vigor each round as a standard action until your turn/rebuke attempt quota for the day was exhausted.

SethFahad
2010-04-29, 11:14 PM
A 179 Divine Vigor requires a standard action and a turn/rebuke attempt. Quicken Turning only speeds up actual turning or rebuking of undead, not the uses of turn/rebuke attempts for other purposes. You could give yourself the benefits of Divine Vigor each round as a standard action until your turn/rebuke attempt quota for the day was exhausted.

:smalleek: But...but...but...but.... :smallsigh::smallfrown:

PH159

Turning undead is a supernatural ability that a character can perform as a standard action. It does not provoke attacks of opportunity. You must present your holy symbol to turn undead. Turning is considered an attack.

If Divine Vigor required a standard action and turn/rebuke attempt, that equals two standard actions. You can't make two standard actions in the round!!!!
So, it means you expend one of you turn/rebuke attempts (which is a standard action) to have the benefit.

BUT! But, since the turn/rebuke is a standard action, which becomes a free action via Quicken Turning.... then.... Divine Vigor expends the turn attempt as a free action.

BUT!!!!

CD p.84

QUICKEN TURNING [GENERAL]
You can turn or rebuke undead with a moment’s thought.
Prerequisite: Ability to turn or rebuke undead.
Benefit: You can turn or rebuke undead as a free action.
You may still make only one turning attempt per round.

So, no...no...no.NO!!! You can't use it twice to take more than once the benefit!!! Sooooorrryyyyy....:smallbiggrin:

marjan
2010-04-29, 11:33 PM
:smalleek: But...but...but...but.... :smallsigh::smallfrown:

PH159
If Divine Vigor required a standard action and turn/rebuke attempt, that equals two standard actions. You can't make two standard action in the round!!!!
So, it means you expend one of you turn/rebuke attempts (which is a standard action) to have the benefit.

Using Divine Vigor doesn't require turning undead. It just uses your turn undead attempt.

Temotei
2010-04-30, 01:08 AM
You can't make two standard action in the round!!!!

Factotum. :smallcool:

Elfin
2010-04-30, 03:52 PM
Q180

Does the Adaptive weapon ability, from Tome of Battle, affect the Lightning Maces feat?

Douglas
2010-04-30, 04:13 PM
A180

Yes. This is one of the most common ways to "break" that ability.

Darius Rae
2010-04-30, 04:55 PM
Q 181

What happens when an ability score is drained or otherwise reduced to zero? Answers for each ability score would be nice.

KillianHawkeye
2010-04-30, 04:59 PM
A 181

While any loss is debilitating, losing all points in an ability score can be devastating.

•Strength 0 means that the character cannot move at all. He lies helpless on the ground.
•Dexterity 0 means that the character cannot move at all. He stands motionless, rigid, and helpless.
•Constitution 0 means that the character is dead.
•Intelligence 0 means that the character cannot think and is unconscious in a coma-like stupor, helpless.
•Wisdom 0 means that the character is withdrawn into a deep sleep filled with nightmares, helpless.
•Charisma 0 means that the character is withdrawn into a catatonic, coma-like stupor, helpless.

:smallwink:

Koury
2010-04-30, 05:03 PM
A181

Ability Score Loss
Some attacks reduce the opponent’s score in one or more abilities. This loss can be temporary (ability damage) or permanent (ability drain).

While any loss is debilitating, losing all points in an ability score can be devastating.

Strength 0 means that the character cannot move at all. He lies helpless on the ground.
Dexterity 0 means that the character cannot move at all. He stands motionless, rigid, and helpless.
Constitution 0 means that the character is dead.
Intelligence 0 means that the character cannot think and is unconscious in a coma-like stupor, helpless.
Wisdom 0 means that the character is withdrawn into a deep sleep filled with nightmares, helpless.
Charisma 0 means that the character is withdrawn into a catatonic, coma-like stupor, helpless.
Keeping track of negative ability score points is never necessary. A character’s ability score can’t drop below 0.

Having a score of 0 in an ability is different from having no ability score whatsoever.

Straight from the SRD.
Bah, ninja'd!

Il_Vec
2010-05-01, 08:15 AM
Q182

I feel that this is a faq, but: Does empower spell multiply only the random numerical variables (dice) of a spell, or the "fixed" numerical variables as well? And duration, range, number of affected targets, and other possible variables?

Runestar
2010-05-01, 08:21 AM
Q182

I feel that this is a faq, but: Does empower spell multiply only the random numerical variables (dice) of a spell, or the "fixed" numerical variables as well? And duration, range, number of affected targets, and other possible variables?

A182) Refer to the magic missile example in the empower spell entry from the PHB and all will be revealed. :smallbiggrin:

The distinction here is realising that certain "fixed" values are not really fixed, but rather, the system's way of breaking down more complex variables into simpler means of generating them. So they are still part of the variable in a sense.

For example, 1d6+1 is the game's way of saying "any variable between 2 and 7". Rather than having to prepare a custom 6-sided die painted with the numbers 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7, you may as well just roll a normal 6-sided die and add one to the total. This is why when you empower say, a ray of enfeeblement, you roll 1d6+5, then multiply the final result by 1.5, rather than first multiplying the 1d6, then adding 5.

And yes, any part of the spell involving a die roll will be similarly empowered, be it range, duration etc. :smallsmile:

KillianHawkeye
2010-05-01, 09:07 AM
A 182 extra

The feat has no effect on per-Caster Level "variables", since these are not really variable at the time of the casting. (They only change when your level goes up.)

So it WILL NOT improve any of the following (or similar):
Range: 100 ft. + 10 ft. / level
Duration: 1 round / level
Targets: One creature / level
Area: One 10-ft. square / level

Noted because I frequently see people who believe these are "variables".

Derjuin
2010-05-01, 02:27 PM
Q 183

The Beloved of Valarian PrC from the BoED allows me to summon a Unicorn as a permanent companion. Is there any way I can declare this Unicorn (or later, Celestial Charger) to be my Paladin mount, and thus increase its hit die etc. with the Paladin special mount bonuses?

Curmudgeon
2010-05-01, 04:07 PM
A 183 Yes.

You just need 6+ levels of Paladin. From Dungeon Master's Guide on page 204:
A paladin of 6th level or higher can use a celestial heavy warhorse, dire wolf, hippogriff, Large monstrous spider, Large shark, unicorn, celestial warpony, dire bat, dire badger, dire weasel, or giant lizard as a mount.

licidy
2010-05-01, 05:41 PM
Q184

a) How would the feat Sculpt Spell (complete arcane) interact with a spell like Greater Fireburst (spell compendium), where the spell is normally a radius out from you?

b)If you sculpt it into a cylinder, does that mean the cylinder's range has to be centered on you?

c)How would that effect the four 10' cubes?

Curmudgeon
2010-05-01, 06:13 PM
A 184

a)

You follow the requirements of Shape Spell, which doesn't change the origin point of the spell. Greater Fireburst is centered on you.

b) Yes.

c)

Each one of the cubes must have a corner attached to your square (really a 5' cube, with 8 corners). Other than that you can arrange the cubes as you like.

Godskook
2010-05-01, 07:40 PM
Q185

I have a player who's been affected by an entangle spell. He fails the reflex save and makes the strength check. His land speed is 30'. How far can he move outside the AoE this turn?

A)15', cause that's half speed.

B)25', the first square costing him 10' of movement to get out of the AoE, and 20' more of movement.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-02, 12:22 AM
A 185

It's A) if the normal movement is 30'. Regardless of the extent of the spell, you spend a full round fighting against it with a Strength (or Escape Artist) check, and only move half your speed in that round.

Raptor2213
2010-05-02, 01:09 AM
Q186
If a wizard/sorcerer casts a spell on themself with a magic device, such as a wand, scroll, or item that can innately use the ability, does that qualify to have the ability also effect their familiar?

Q187
If you acquire the Mage Slayer Feat, and you do not want it, what ways (if any) are there to negate the feat, without retraining and dropping the feat off your list?

Curmudgeon
2010-05-02, 01:30 AM
A 186

The answer is yes for spell completion item use (scrolls), and no for others (spell trigger, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities). The Share Spells ability only works with spells that the master casts. Only spell completion counts as actually casting spells.

klemdakherzbag
2010-05-02, 01:57 AM
Q188
At 1st level of Warblade do I have three maneuvers and one stance or two maneuvers and one stance?

Koury
2010-05-02, 02:00 AM
A188

3 Maneuvers, 1 Stance.

tyckspoon
2010-05-02, 02:54 AM
A 187
Without removing the feat itself, the obvious answer is using the Practiced Spellcaster feat to offset the caster level penalty. You could also attempt to maintain yourself in a situation where you do not qualify for the feat, thus disabling it, but Mageslayer's requirements are low enough to make that impractical.

SilverStar
2010-05-02, 07:21 AM
Q 189

How does the epic metamagic feat Enhance Spell work with, say, Energy Admixture? Does the increased cap affect the extra damage added by the admix effect?

BtanH
2010-05-02, 07:28 AM
Q 189

How does the epic metamagic feat Enhance Spell work with, say, Energy Admixture? Does the increased cap affect the extra damage added by the admix effect?

i would sa es... bu i'm no sure. also i've been having keboard rouble..

Runestar
2010-05-02, 07:49 AM
Q 189

A189) It should. Energy admixture simply doubles the damage the spell deals, whatever that amount is. Metamagic generally stacks (with the exception of empower+maximize). Just make sure you apply enhance spell first, followed by admixture.

So an enhanced, admixtured orb of acid would deal 25d6 acid damage and 25d6 cold damage (say).

Raistlin1040
2010-05-02, 10:21 AM
Q190

Does DR of the same type stack? If you have DR 1/- from a few levels in Barbarian, and then get a DR 1/- from something else, do you now have DR 2/-? Same goes for all other types, if you have DR 5/Cold Iron from a Fiendish feat or something, and DR 2/Cold Iron from Warlock levels, is it now DR 7/Cold Iron?

Curmudgeon
2010-05-02, 11:28 AM
A 190 No.
If a creature has damage reduction from more than one source, the two forms of damage reduction do not stack. Instead, the creature gets the benefit of the best damage reduction in a given situation. DR 1/- from two different classes (sources) doesn't stack; it overlaps.

Master_Rahl22
2010-05-02, 01:56 PM
Q191

How do speed reduction from armor and things that boost speed interact? For example, a Human Ardent is wearing Full Plate (speed 20ft). He has the Freedom Mantle and Speed of Thought. Is his speed while psionically focused 40ft?

Claudius Maximus
2010-05-02, 03:46 PM
Q 192

Would a Brilliant Energy weapon be able to penetrate a Wall of Force? I suppose this depends on whether or not a Wall of Force counts as "matter" in game terms, which is unclear to me.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-02, 04:29 PM
A 191

You compute all relevant boosts to speed before figuring the reduction due to armor. A Human (base 30') with Freedom Mantle (+10') has a 40' speed while psionically focused before reduction. Speed of Thought would only boost this Ardent's speed without heavy armor.

As long as you are psionically focused and not wearing heavy armor, you gain an insight bonus to your speed of 10 feet. According to the table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm#tableCarryingLoads), this results in an encumbered speed of 30'.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-02, 04:32 PM
A 192 No.

A Wall of Force is not composed of matter. Brilliant Energy can only ignore nonliving matter, and thus it is blocked by force.

JeminiZero
2010-05-03, 04:52 AM
A rather bizarre question of Energy Drain vs Negative Levels has recently appeared in my Emerald Legion thread.

Q 193a
Does immunity to Energy Drain protect you from all sources of Negative Levels?

Q 193b
If the answer to the above is "No", does a Living Creature with Immunity to Energy Drain protect from the negative levels bestowed by Enervation/Fell Drain? Nothing in the text of either ability explicitly states that the negative levels they bestow are blocked by immunity to energy drain.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-03, 07:19 AM
A 193 a No.

Energy drain creates negative levels, but that's not the only source. For instance, the psionic power Mindwipe (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindwipe.htm) bestows negative levels without energy drain.

A 193 b No.

Unless some effect specifically includes the term "energy drain", Immunity to Energy Drain is not relevant.

JeminiZero
2010-05-03, 09:28 AM
Q 194

Doesn't that mean that the spell Deathward (and its derivative Soulfire armor) does not in fact protect against Fell Drain, since that metamagic feat does not specify that its negative levels are from Death, Energy Drain or Negative Energy effect?

Curmudgeon
2010-05-03, 10:24 AM
A 194

That's mostly correct. Any spells that include death effects would always be blocked by Death Ward, so modifying them with Fell Drain still wouldn't have any effect.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-05-03, 02:04 PM
Q195: Disregarding the usual 30' limitation, is there any way of reliably delivering sneak attacks at range greater than eldritch spear (which is 250')?

Eloel
2010-05-03, 02:08 PM
Q195: Disregarding the usual 30' limitation, is there any way of reliably delivering sneak attacks at range greater than eldritch spear (which is 250')?

Greatbow has 1800ft range with Far Shot. There are a bunch of enhancements that increase range. I remember something like 5000ish range on some bow somewhere. Add to that True Strike, and you negate the range penalty.

marjan
2010-05-03, 02:20 PM
A195 continued

If by reliable you mean with touch attack, long-range spells that require to-hit (Melf's Acid Arrow or Spellwarped Fireball) will do this, or medium ranged ones with CL of at least 16. If you are looking for something without penalties for range increments, Guided Shot will eliminate them, then it's just matter of increasing range with your bow.

SethFahad
2010-05-04, 01:32 AM
Q196

May I use an crystal of life drinking (Augment Crystal: MIC) on a vampiric weapon? What happens if I do? Do the effects stack?

Alleine
2010-05-04, 02:02 AM
Q 197

Can you apply poisons in doses larger than one, or can you apply multiple poisons to the same weapon? There doesn't seem to be anything stating that you can't.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-04, 02:07 AM
A 196

Both effects operate as specified. Damage and healing are not subject to stacking limitations, as neither of them are modifiers to a given check or roll.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-04, 02:23 AM
A 197 No.

The poison rules stipulate only a single Fortitude saving throw for any poisoned weapon (see DMG page 296), and if you fail you take the poison's listed damage. So that means you can only benefit from one type of poison on a weapon, and the listed damage is always that of 1 dose.
A poisoned weapon or object retains its venom until the weapon scores a hit or the object is touched (unless the poison is wiped off before a target comes in contact with it). After a single hit all the poison on the weapon is vitiated, so it doesn't matter how much was on the weapon initially.

SethFahad
2010-05-04, 02:32 AM
Q198

Does a monk with the saint template adds his Wisdom bonus twice to his AC?

BoED

A saint gains an insight bonus to AC equal to the character's wisdom bonus

Runestar
2010-05-04, 03:53 AM
Q198

Does a monk with the saint template adds his Wisdom bonus twice to his AC?

BoED

A198) Yes, since they are derived from 2 different sources.

SethFahad
2010-05-04, 03:57 AM
A198) Yes, since they are derived from 2 different sources.

I knew it!!! Woooopieeeee!!! :smallbiggrin:

Warclam
2010-05-04, 07:53 PM
Q 199
Is there a way for a cleric to give orders to commanded undead more quickly than as a standard action?

WarKitty
2010-05-04, 08:01 PM
Q100
Is there any way to permanently poison a weapon?

Ravens_cry
2010-05-04, 08:15 PM
Q201
If you are an assassin trying for a Death Attack, having studied for the required three rounds, then struck in the fifth round, does it matter for the purposes of a death attack if they notice you if your hiding or recognize you as an enemy in the fourth?

Curmudgeon
2010-05-04, 09:16 PM
A 199

The Necromancer domain (Eberron Campaign Setting, page 107) offers the Command Undead spell at 2nd level. Metamagic feats (Quicken Spell, Sudden Quicken) and a Metamagic Rod of Quicken (lesser) will allow the Cleric to cast this as a swift action. Furthermore, both the Necromancer and Undeath (Spell Compendium, page 281) domains include Control Undead, which allows the Cleric to command undead by voice after the spell is cast. Speaking is a free action which can be done even when it's no the Cleric's turn.

Undead created by the Cleric with Animate Undead respond thereafter to spoken commands.