PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XIII

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Roland St. Jude
2010-04-07, 03:37 PM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 3.5.

If your question is about D&D 4e or some other system, ask here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6837321)
If your question is about real world weapons and armor ask it here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1149238581 ;start=0#0).
If your question is about homebrew rulings start a thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew).
If you are looking for the meaning of an acronym or abbreviation look here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1121064702 ;start=0#0).

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
Q.1. Are there any Large +0 LA races?
Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

{The first several versions of this thread seemed to run pretty efficiently, but if you have any comments about how this thread could be improved please PM me.}

Please start over with the numbering. Thanks.

Lord of Syntax
2010-04-07, 03:45 PM
Q1:
What TO build has the most spells per day without taint.
First! w00t!

Douglas
2010-04-07, 04:05 PM
A1

Theoretical optimization? Taint is not the only way to get unlimited spells per day. Illumian with Aeshkrau gets bonus spells based on strength; add Festering Anger and Cancer Mage for permanent and stacking +1 strength per day, and you get an ever increasing number of bonus spells per day with no upper limit. I'm sure there are other ways, I just put that together in a few minutes.

Ossian
2010-04-07, 04:07 PM
Q2

What ways are there in the ways of class/feat choices to improve the threat range of a weapon or in general of an attack other than Keen Weapon or Improved Critical? (which unfortunately do not stack).

Ossian

marjan
2010-04-07, 04:11 PM
Q2

What ways are there in the ways of class/feat choices to improve the threat range of a weapon or in general of an attack other than Keen Weapon or Improved Critical? (which unfortunately do not stack).

Ossian

Disciple Of Dispater (BoVD).

IthilanorStPete
2010-04-07, 05:12 PM
Q3

What ways are there to make ranged attacks from a bow as touch attacks? Weapon properties, items, spells, class features, anything.

Ernir
2010-04-07, 05:48 PM
A3

I know of the Fell Shot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#fellShot) feat and the Spot the Weak Point skill trick (Complete Scoundrel).

Raptor2213
2010-04-07, 10:09 PM
Q4
I have a Cleric that will meet the prerequisites for several PrCs, one of the ones I have my eye on adds to Arcane Spellcaster levels (Master Transmogrifist, CA pg51). Is there any way to have it add to Divine caster levels instead of Arcane?

abandon hope
2010-04-07, 10:40 PM
Q5: What does the duration for Shadow Spray (SpC 186) apply to?

Optimystik
2010-04-07, 10:40 PM
A4:

Although qualifying for Master Transmogrifist isn't impossible for a cleric, getting it to advance your cleric casting is another story:

...a master transmogrifist gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class to which he belonged before adding the prestige class level.

Your best bet is to ask your DM to make an exception for you.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-07, 11:57 PM
A 5 Nothing.

It's always good to read the Errata:
Page 186 – Shadow Spray [Substitution]
The Duration of this spell is in error. It should read: “Duration: Instantaneous”

Koury
2010-04-08, 11:03 PM
Q6 Spell questions.

A) Wall of Stone allows a reflex save to avoid entrapment. Does this give some sort of free movement if they pass? They can't very well be in the dome of stone if they reflexed out of it.

B) Cloudkill moves away from you at 10 ft per round. If it runs into a barrier, does it stop moving away? For example, I create a dome with my Wall of Stone, adding an opening so they can't do whatever to not be there, then cast Cloudkill inside. Does it stay inside?

IthilanorStPete
2010-04-09, 12:10 AM
Q 7

Tome of Battle question: If I initiate the Raging Mongoose boost, then use Time Stands Still, do I get the extra attacks from Raging Mongoose on each full attack I make, or just once?

Rin_Hunter
2010-04-09, 12:50 AM
A6 A

I would rule that they someone who succeed on a reflex save is then on the nearest available space determined randomly, including on top of the dome you create. This seems like the only logical thing to me.

A6 B

If it hits a barrier, the cloud would keep trying to move in the direction it was headed, but will stop if that is impossible, such as inside a dungeon or inside your dome.

By RAW, this is all I can answer here, but I think a lot of that would have to be houseruled.

Ravens_cry
2010-04-09, 12:50 AM
Q8
If you're using a ghost touch weapon and a ring of blinking, does the ghost touch negate the 20% miss chance for you of a ring of blinking?

Rin_Hunter
2010-04-09, 12:59 AM
A8

No, a Ghost Touch weapon does not allow you to hit a creature on the Material Plane from the Ethereal Planes since they are still corporeal. You still take the 20% miss chance.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-09, 01:51 AM
A 7
After initiating this boost, you can make two additional attacks with each weapon you wield (to a maximum of four extra attacks if you wield two or more weapons). You get exactly what Raging Mongoose stipulates: a total of 2 additional attacks with each weapon you wield (maximum 4 total extra attacks). Time Stands Still allows you to make those attacks at any point in your two full attacks that round. If you wield only one weapon you cannot get more than 2 extra attacks.

Optimystik
2010-04-09, 06:36 AM
A6 B Clarification:

What the Cloudkill does in that situation depends on where the opening is in your dome. If you put it at ground level in the path of the Cloudkill, it will flow out through the opening and leave your dome. If you put the opening in the top of the dome, the Cloudkill will stay inside - it is too dense to float up through the hole. If the opening is at ground level, but not in the path of the Cloudkill, the Cloudkill will stay inside - RAW, it cannot flow back towards the caster to try and get through an opening behind him, for instance.

Runestar
2010-04-09, 08:02 AM
Q9) If I convert wings of flurry into a ray spell via spellwarp sniper, is the target automatically dazed because the ray has no save for him to succeed on, or does daze not apply since there is no reflex save for him to fail?

Ianuagonde
2010-04-09, 08:09 AM
A lot of questions about sunder...

Q10
The DMG section about special materials (p 283) mentions that stuff made from adamantine and darkwood has an amount of HP based on the thickness. How does this interact with items that have a set amount of HP, as given in table 8-8 of the PHB?

Q11
Is the hardness of adamantine and darkwood as given in the DMG improved by an enhancement bonus from being a magic item, such as a magic weapon?

Q12
Page 222 of the DMG mentions that "each +1 of enhancement bonus adds +1 to the weapon's or shield's hardness and hit points". However, on page 217 it says "each +1 of enhancement bonus adds 2 to a shield's hardness and +10 to its hit points". Which is correct?

Q13
Page 222 of the DMG also says "an attacker cannot damage a magic weapon that has an enhancement bonus unless his own weapon has at least as high an enhancement bonus as the weapon or shield struck". Does apply just to damaging magic weapons, or also to damaging magic shields?

Q14
If a weapon or shield receives a temporary enhancement bonus (for example, from a Greater Magic Weapon spell), does the hardness and HP of that item improve to match the new bonus?

Q15
If a creature has the ability "natural weapons count as magic for purpose of damage reduction", can that creature damage magic weapons or shields with its natural weapons?

Thanking you in advance for your wisdom

EDIT: number change. The ninjas have struck again

Yora
2010-04-09, 08:37 AM
A10: There's a table in the PHB that lists a number of materials and their hardness and hit points per inch.
Iron has 30 hit points/inch as does mithral. So making a weapon from mithral only increases Hardness but not hp. Adamantine has 40 hit points/inch, so I'd say an object made of adamantine gets +1 hit point for every 3 hit points an equivalent item made of steel has.

A11: Yes.

A12: Errata says the greater values are correct. Page 222 is wrong.

A13: I suppose it is the same for armor an shields, but I don't know if there is any official proof for it.

A14: Again, I see no reason why the object shouldn't get temporary hp for the duration of the spell, and an increase in Hardness. But I don't think it's explicitly stated anywhere.

A15: Even though the natural attacks count as "magic" they don't have an enhancement bonus. And it's explicitly stated that the attack needs an enhancement bonus equal or greater to the attacked object. So it doesn't work.

Nodwick22
2010-04-09, 09:20 AM
Q16 Would a +5 Wildwood breastplate burn if i cast fireball right next to me? Keep in mind i am a Gold Halfdragon Centaur. I am immune to fire. But does that extend to my equipment?

Yora
2010-04-09, 09:33 AM
A16 No, instantaneous fire effects do not cause anything to catch fire.

theterran
2010-04-09, 09:34 AM
Q17

If I cast Control Winds (Tornado Force) and have a calm eye centered on my position, then follow up with a Anti-Magic Field, if I attempt to walk into the Tornado, will the Field protect me from it, or is the Tornado not considered "Magic" in and of itself?

Yora
2010-04-09, 10:10 AM
A17: An anti-magic field would prevent the air within the field to be affected by the spell. But as there are huge amounts of air in constant motions at very high speeds with massive forces at work, the field would probably be much to small to cause the air within to naturally slow down to normal speeds.

Warclam
2010-04-09, 10:29 AM
Q18

Is there a mechanical problem with a druid trying to take both the Ashbound and Child of Winter feats, seeing as they denote membership in different sects? Is it permissible if the druid somehow belongs to both?

Yora
2010-04-09, 10:43 AM
A18: Membership of the sects is not a requirement of the feats. So there's no RAW reason why one could not have the feats of several sects.
It also says that the character has learned the traditions of the sects, not that he's a member.

Optimystik
2010-04-09, 11:05 AM
Q9) If I convert wings of flurry into a ray spell via spellwarp sniper, is the target automatically dazed because the ray has no save for him to succeed on, or does daze not apply since there is no reflex save for him to fail?

A9

Your second option is the correct one. You are only dazed on a failed reflex save, there is no longer a reflex save to fail, therefore you cannot fail and be dazed.

Adrayll
2010-04-09, 11:17 AM
Q19: Does the Skill Focus feat grant ranks in the skill, for the purpose of prestige classes and such?

Optimystik
2010-04-09, 11:21 AM
A19:

No, skill focus (and other feats like Stealthy) only grant bonuses, not ranks.

Chen
2010-04-09, 11:56 AM
Q20:

How do known maneuvers work for a Warblade/Swordsage? If the maneuver is learned via one of the classes can it be readied as either class, or both, assuming the maneuver is of a discipline available to both classes?

Can a Maneuver from a discipline that is learned only via one of the classes (like Shadow Blink), be readied only by that class? Or are these shared as well?

Warclam
2010-04-09, 02:00 PM
Q21

Do summoned creatures poof away if they go outside the range of the spell which summoned them?

Warclam
2010-04-09, 02:04 PM
A21 No.

Should have spent a bit more time looking....

Range determines how far away an effect can appear, but if the effect is mobile it can move regardless of the spell’s range.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-09, 03:18 PM
A 16 correction
Catching on Fire
Characters exposed to burning oil, bonfires, and noninstantaneous magic fires such as a wall of fire might find their clothes, hair, or equipment on fire. Spells such as fireball or flame strike don’t normally set a character on fire, since the heat and flame from these come and go in a flash.
Items Surviving after a Saving Throw: Unless the descriptive text for the spell specifies otherwise, all items carried or worn by a creature are assumed to survive a magical attack. If a creature rolls a natural 1 on its saving throw against the effect, however, an exposed item is harmed (if the attack can harm objects). Refer to Table 10–1: Items Affected by Magical Attacks. Determine which four objects carried or worn by the creature are most likely to be affected and roll randomly among them. The randomly determined item must make a saving throw against the attack form and take whatever damage the attack deal (see Smashing an Object, page 165). (Armor is 2nd on the list of objects likely to be affected.)

A fireball spell is an explosion of flame that detonates with a low roar and deals 1d6 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 10d6) to every creature within the area. Unattended objects also take this damage.
The fireball sets fire to combustibles and damages objects in the area. While the armor's wearer is immune to fire, the player still must roll a Reflex save to determine if their equipment is subject to the Fireball damage.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-09, 03:31 PM
A 13 correction
Hardness and Hit Points: An attacker cannot damage a magic weapon that has an enhancement bonus unless his own weapon has at least as high an enhancement bonus as the weapon or shield struck. Each +1 of enhancement bonus also adds 1 to the weapon’s or shield’s hardness and hit points.
Hardness and Hit Points
Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 222
Problem: The first paragraph is not consistent with similar information for shields on page 217.
Solution: Delete the first sentence after the boldface header.
Change the next sentence to read as follows:
Each +1 of enhancement bonus adds 2 to a weapon’s or shield’s hardness and +10 to its hit points. The red sentence is removed by the erratum. Anything capable of dealing enough damage to overcome an object's hardness can damage that object.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-09, 03:43 PM
A 14 Yes. [correction]

The game does not normally make any distinction about how enhancements are obtained, whether through crafting, special materials, or spells. The hardness and hit points derived from the total enhancement are as specified in A 13 correction. No special mention need be made in individual spells such as Greater Magic Weapon for the general rules to apply.

Note: Increased hit points from Greater Magic Weapon are not temporary hit points, which are used up first when an object takes damage. When a weapon boosted by Greater Magic Weapon takes damage, that full amount of damage remains after the spell ends -- including the chance that the item is then destroyed.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-09, 03:48 PM
A 15 Yes. [correction]

As noted in A 13 correction, no "equal or greater enhancement needed" rule exists in 3.5 D&D. Additionally, a natural weapon that counts as magical will bypass DR /magic.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-09, 04:00 PM
A 20

Maneuvers known to one class of a multiclass martial adept are not known to the other class unless learned independently.

For an analogy, a Sorcerer/Favored Soul would need to independently learn Control Water (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/controlWater.htm) (Sor/Wiz 6) and Control Water (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/controlWater.htm) (Clr 4) to be able to cast the spell in both arcane and divine forms.

Douglas
2010-04-09, 04:22 PM
A20 additional note

Maneuvers known by one class do count as known for the other for the purpose of satisfying prerequisites for learning higher level maneuvers. Additionally, I don't think learning the same maneuver for both classes is actually a valid option. You either know it or you don't, just like it is either readied or not with "multi-readied" not being an option.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-09, 05:11 PM
Re: A 20 [correction]

douglas is correct about maneuvers being learned applying to all relevant classes. While they are learned specifically when attaining a new level in one particular class, they are known to the other class if that class can also use the maneuver's discipline. My blanket statement coupling maneuvers learned and maneuvers know was wrong; maneuvers learned by one class are only unavailable to the other class if its discipline is unavailable.

TheYoungKing
2010-04-09, 07:18 PM
Q21

Looking through some Myth-Weaver character sheets, I've noticed that many people are using Divine Metamagic (CDiv) for metamagic feats they do not possess. Reading the feat description, it does not say "choose a metamagic feat that you possess", it just says "choose a metamagic feat".

So, do you have to have the feat to select it for Divine Metamagic?

Claudius Maximus
2010-04-09, 07:29 PM
A 21

the errata changed Divine Metamagic so that you must have the metamagic feat in question:

Page 80: Divine Metamagic feat
The boldface text needs to be added to the Benefit paragraph of the feat description:

When you take this feat, choose a metamagic feat that you have. This feat applies only to that metamagic feat. As a free action, you can take the energy from turning or rebuking undead and use it to apply a metamagic feat to divine spells that you know. . . .

GeminiVeil
2010-04-09, 08:06 PM
Q22
If you are immune to fire/cold, are you automatically vulnerable to the other? The DMG (pgs 291+294) but individual monster descriptions sometimes disagree. Specifically, the Topaz Dragon (MM2 pgs 85-87) is immune to cold, but not listed as vulnerable to fire.

Q23
Can an item be made that grants a comp. bonus to UMD checks, such as a ring?

Q24
Was the Forsaker PrC ever updated to 3.5 in any official book? I have found 'updates' online, but it never lists a book.

Q25
Are a pixie's magical arrows (MM pg 236) A) a temporary enhancment to an existing arrow, B) a specific arrow that can be bought/sold, C) a temporary creation that ceases to exist after it is used, or D) something else I have overlooked or don't know about?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-09, 08:31 PM
A 522 No.

The link between an immunity and a vulnerability is only for creatures of the Fire and Cold subtypes. The Water subtype requires no such link.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-09, 08:39 PM
A 23 Yes.

This is a standard magical bonus; see Dungeon Master's Guide, page 285. Although this is a standard bonus, it will require crafting a custom item, and you'll have to work out the details (such as exactly what spell providing a skill bonus you'll need to cast) with your DM.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-09, 08:49 PM
A 24 No.

The updates for Forsaker all appear to be homebrew. The list here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20050110x) shows no revision. As the Forsaker PrC includes 3.0 style damage reduction, which is substantially different from 3.5 DR, this class is not ready for 3.5 play. You'll need to talk to your individual DM to see if they're willing to provide a conversion to let you use the class in their game.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-09, 08:58 PM
A 25

Your question is incorrect, because a pixie's arrows are not magical, but rather their properties are an Extraordinary ability of the race; thus none of your proposed answers are correct, either (though D would be, if you'd asked the right question :smallsmile:).
Special Arrows (Ex): Pixies sometimes employ arrows that deal no damage but can erase memory or put a creature to sleep. From Extraordinary Abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#extraordinaryAbilities):
Extraordinary Abilities (Ex)

Extraordinary abilities are nonmagical, though they may break the laws of physics. They are not something that just anyone can do or even learn to do without extensive training.
Those extraordinary abilities that are actions are standard actions unless otherwise noted.

theterran
2010-04-09, 09:29 PM
Q26

In FC2, the Feat Divine Defiance just specifies that you have to have Dispel Magic prepared to counter a spell, it doesn't say you actually expend the prepared spell to counter. Was there an errata to this, am I misreading it, or does it really counter a spell for just a turn attempt?

GeminiVeil
2010-04-09, 09:35 PM
Q27
Are a pixie's EXTRAORDINARY :smallredface: arrows (MM pg 236) A) a temporary enhancment to an existing arrow, B) a specific arrow that can be bought/sold, C) a temporary creation that ceases to exist after it is used, or D) something else I have overlooked or don't know about?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-09, 09:39 PM
A 26
You must have the relevant spell prepared as normal (or dispel magic), and you must make a Spellcraft check to identify the target’s spell if applicable. (See PH 170 for details on counterspells.)
Normal: You must typically use a readied action to counter an enemy’s spell.
The usual mechanism of making a Spellcraft check and using your own spells to counterspell remains in effect. Divine Defiance lets you counterspell without having readied an action to do so, at the cost of a turn undead attempt. The counterspell is expended.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-09, 09:46 PM
A 27 D)

As an Extraordinary racial ability, the Memory Loss and Sleep properties are added to existing arrows when they are employed. However, employing such an arrow always takes a standard action; they cannot be used in a full attack as normal for ordinary arrows; nor can both Extraordinary properties be employed at once.
Manufactured Weapons: Creatures that use swords, bows, spears, and the like follow the same rules as characters do. Regardless of the original properties of the arrow used, they deal no damage when thus employed.

GeminiVeil
2010-04-09, 11:53 PM
A 27 D)

As an Extraordinary racial ability, the Memory Loss and Sleep properties are added to existing arrows when they are employed. However, employing such an arrow always takes a standard action; they cannot be used in a full attack as normal for ordinary arrows; nor can both Extraordinary properties be employed at once. Regardless of the original properties of the arrow used, they deal no damage when thus employed.

Q27 Continued
So does that mean that it is 1 standard action to imbue and shoot, or must it be 1 standard action to imbue, then 1 standard action to shoot?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-10, 12:50 AM
Q27 Continued
So does that mean that it is 1 standard action to imbue and shoot, or must it be 1 standard action to imbue, then 1 standard action to shoot?
It's one standard action to employ an arrow with either Memory Loss or Sleep; that includes adding the effect and firing the arrow. You can't separate the actions, which is why you can't add both effects to a single arrow, or save up arrows to use with a full attack.

Koury
2010-04-10, 05:23 AM
Q28

So about these pixie arrows...

Joking!

Anyway, what are the rules on how far you fall in one round? Say I'm a raptorian a mile in the air (arbitrary) and cast celerity. I'm dazed for a round, how far do I fall? The whole way? Less, and am therefore able to recover without taking damage? Does my nifty wings-reflex-tight-spiral thing make me fall slower? (Sue me, its 3:30 am for me :smallbiggrin:)

Curmudgeon
2010-04-10, 07:30 AM
A 28

Yes, wings make you fall considerably slower.
Minimum Forward Speed

If a flying creature fails to maintain its minimum forward speed, it must land at the end of its movement. If it is too high above the ground to land, it falls straight down, descending 150 feet in the first round of falling. If this distance brings it to the ground, it takes falling damage. If the fall doesn’t bring the creature to the ground, it must spend its next turn recovering from the stall. It must succeed on a DC 20 Reflex save to recover. Otherwise it falls another 300 feet. If it hits the ground, it takes falling damage. Otherwise, it has another chance to recover on its next turn. Those are the rules for winged creatures, such as Raptorans. Non-winged creatures fall about 500' in the first round (reaching terminal velocity at the end of it), and 1200' each subsequent round.

Pelfaid
2010-04-10, 09:09 AM
Q 29

Does a Dragonborn Raptoran retain their wings and flight abilities or do the wings disappear when the Raptoran becomes a Dragonborn?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-10, 09:28 AM
A 29

Raptoran wings, and flight abiilties based on existing hit dice before the Dragonborn transformation, are retained.
Physical Description: Feathered wings are a raptoran’s singular identifying feature.
DRAGONBORN RACIAL TRAITS
A dragonborn combines some of the racial traits of her original race and her new form.

THE MECHANICS OF REBIRTH
Speed: You retain your original base land speed, as well as any other modes of movement possessed by your original race.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-10, 10:12 AM
Q30

What Prestige Classes grant Skill Focus (Spellcraft) as a Bonus Feat? I know there is one besides Master Specialist, but for the life of me I can't remember what it is.

Alleine
2010-04-10, 01:20 PM
Q 31

Does being rendered prone have any effect whatsoever on movement? I've looked and looked, but found nothing. It seems wrong that you'd be able to take a 5 foot step, or withdraw while prone.

deuxhero
2010-04-10, 01:33 PM
Q30

What Prestige Classes grant Skill Focus (Spellcraft) as a Bonus Feat? I know there is one besides Master Specialist, but for the life of me I can't remember what it is.

Loremaster gets an any feat bonus feat (but you blow a feat to qualify without the frog god thing in CS), as does Chameleon, though I doubt that is what you meant.

Douglas
2010-04-10, 01:35 PM
A31

You can crawl 5 feet as a move action. Crawling incurs attacks of opportunity from any attackers who threaten you at any point of your crawl. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#move)

Seth1221
2010-04-10, 01:37 PM
Q32

About ranged touch attack. If someone has magically enhanced armor/shield does a touch attack bypass the enhancement as well?

Douglas
2010-04-10, 01:40 PM
A32

Yes. The enhancement does not increase AC directly, but rather increases the equipment's bonus to AC. That bonus is still shield or armor, which is ignored by touch attacks.

Myatar_Panwar
2010-04-10, 08:17 PM
Q33

Could one use Tome of Battles Assassin Stance (you gain +2d6 sneak attack), to help qualify for arcane trickster?

deuxhero
2010-04-10, 09:58 PM
Q33

Could one use Tome of Battles Assassin Stance (you gain +2d6 sneak attack), to help qualify for arcane trickster?

Not sure about RAW, but it's suggested a lot. Just remember you lose the non-HP/BAB/Skill point class abilities if you ever get knocked out of the stance (which is only if you get KOed, which you have no use for them). Arcane Trickster is really only worth it for Warlocks (who need 3 extra feats to get in) though.

Temotei
2010-04-10, 10:11 PM
Q34

If a creature has two claws and they fight unarmed, do they have an unarmed strike followed by two claw attacks?

Q35

If a creature has two claws, a slam, and is holding a light or one-handed weapon, do they get an attack with their weapon, an attack with one claw, and an attack with the slam?

Runestar
2010-04-10, 10:27 PM
Not sure about RAW, but it's suggested a lot. Just remember you lose the non-HP/BAB/Skill point class abilities if you ever get knocked out of the stance (which is only if you get KOed, which you have no use for them).

You also cannot maintain a stance while you sleep. I would allow it, since the requirements simply state +2d6 SA, it shouldn't care how you get it.

Q34

If a creature has two claws and they fight unarmed, do they have an unarmed strike followed by two claw attacks?

Yes. But take note that your claws are now treated as secondary attacks (-5 to-hit, 1/2 str mod to damage).

Q35

If a creature has two claws, a slam, and is holding a light or one-handed weapon, do they get an attack with their weapon, an attack with one claw, and an attack with the slam?

I am going to say yes here, with the assumption that the slam and claw are both from the same hand. :smalltongue:

Temotei
2010-04-10, 10:38 PM
Yes. But take note that your claws are now treated as secondary attacks (-5 to-hit, 1/2 str mod to damage).

So if you attack with anything but your natural weapon first, the natural weapons are treated as secondary attacks? What if you attack with the natural weapon and then your unarmed strike or a weapon? Does the weapon strike take a -5 penalty (iterative attack, essentially)?

Runestar
2010-04-10, 11:21 PM
So if you attack with anything but your natural weapon first, the natural weapons are treated as secondary attacks? What if you attack with the natural weapon and then your unarmed strike or a weapon? Does the weapon strike take a -5 penalty (iterative attack, essentially)?

It is not possible to attack with your natural weapons first and weapon second.

You either attack with only your natural weapons (meaning some/all of them can be primary attacks), or you attack with a weapon and then follow up with your natural attacks (meaning all of them are secondary attacks).

Taelas
2010-04-11, 02:42 AM
You can attack with your natural weapon first and add an Unarmed Strike as an off-hand attack according to this Rules of the Game (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20070403a) article.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-11, 03:53 AM
It is not possible to attack with your natural weapons first and weapon second.
Regardless of the distinction between "primary" and "secondary" attacks, you follow AB order.
If you get multiple attacks because your base attack bonus is high enough, you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest. Improved Multiattack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#improvedMultiattack) removes all penalties for secondary natural attacks. Anything that imposes penalties to iterative attacks (such as Two-Weapon Fighting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#twoWeaponFighting) or Snap Kick) can then have those "primary" attacks at a lower attack bonus than the "secondary" natural attacks.

You use the order required by the rules.

Runestar
2010-04-11, 04:30 AM
Regardless of the distinction between "primary" and "secondary" attacks, you follow AB order.

I will have to respectfully disagree.

If you get multiple attacks because your base attack bonus is high enough, you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest.

This only applies to iterative attacks, and not any extra attacks you may have from natural weapons, since those are not derived from having a high bab.

I noticed that in every entry where a monster attacks with a manufactured weapon and natural attacks such as a bite, it is always weapon first, followed by natural attacks as secondary attacks.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-11, 04:32 AM
Loremaster gets an any feat bonus feat (but you blow a feat to qualify without the frog god thing in CS), as does Chameleon, though I doubt that is what you meant.

Thanks but no. I guess I just made it up, but I was sure thee was one that just gave Skill Focus....Durn it :smallannoyed:

Thanks anyway.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-11, 05:40 AM
This only applies to iterative attacks, and not any extra attacks you may have from natural weapons, since those are not derived from having a high bab.
This rule is in the Combat chapter under the "Full Attack" rules, and applies to all full attacks. The triggering condition doesn't set limitations on applicability.

Runestar
2010-04-11, 06:02 AM
This rule is in the Combat chapter under the "Full Attack" rules, and applies to all full attacks. The triggering condition doesn't set limitations on applicability.

Reread your quote.

If you get multiple attacks because your base attack bonus is high enough, you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest.

Natural attacks aren't a result of high bab. Nor do you get more natural attacks from having a high bab anyways.

You also leave me no choice but to quote the FAQ.

When a creature has natural weaponry, do all its natural weapons become secondary attacks when it uses a manufactured weapon? If so, what happens to the damage rating for a primary natural weapon that gets demoted to secondary status?

When a creature uses both manufactured and natural weapons together with the full attack action, treat the manufactured weapon as the primary attack (using the creature’s full attack bonus) and treat all the natural weapons as secondary natural attacks (–5 attack penalty, or –2 if the creature has the Multiattack feat).

The basic damage rating for a secondary natural weapon doesn’t change, but the creature gets only half its Strength bonus to damage for the secondary attack, even if it would otherwise be a primary natural weapon. The troll entry in the Monster Manual provides a good example of this.

Ducklord
2010-04-11, 06:38 AM
Q 36

When a character has more than one Duelward cast on themselves, what happens when they make a counterspell? Do all the Duelwards discharge or just the "first" one?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-11, 08:11 AM
A 36

All instances of Duelward are discharged, as stipulated in the spell description.
The first time you successfully counterspell while the spell is in effect (whether you counterspell as an immediate action or not), duelward is discharged.

Raptor2213
2010-04-11, 10:29 AM
Q37
I have a friend who believes that if a player takes The Mystic Theurge (or any other class that adds to two classes spellcasting ability), that you can then later take another class that adds +1 level of existing spellcasting class and choose The Mystic Theurge for this class choice, and thereby continue getting spells from both. I believe he is wrong, it would merely add to the BASE class's spellcasting, but I don't know the RAW rules on it. Which one of us is right?

Q37a
If my friend happens to be right, could I then take Master Transmogrifist and have it add to my Mystic Theurge class and thereby both my Cleric and Wizard levels?

marjan
2010-04-11, 10:34 AM
A37 Your friend is wrong. Mystic Theurge doesn't have spellcasting on its own, it merely advances spellcasting of your existing classes.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-11, 10:37 AM
A37

Your friend is wrong. "+1 Spellcasting" classes can only advance an actual spellcasting progression, not the virtual advance granted by other "+1 Spellcasting" classes.

Mystic Theurge/Archmage/Radiant Servant of Pelor/any other Prc without it's own progression all advance another class's casting, they have no casting of their own and therefore don't qualify to be advanced.

Ravens_cry
2010-04-11, 10:37 AM
Q38
Is there a way, in Core hopefully, of getting around the 20% miss chance for the wielder of a ring of blinking?

Chen
2010-04-11, 10:41 AM
A20 additional note

Maneuvers known by one class do count as known for the other for the purpose of satisfying prerequisites for learning higher level maneuvers. Additionally, I don't think learning the same maneuver for both classes is actually a valid option. You either know it or you don't, just like it is either readied or not with "multi-readied" not being an option.

Q20 followup: I'm wondering about the whole "readied" thing though. I assume that a warblade/swordsage recovers his readied maneuvers separately via each class' respective method (or via Adaptive learning or whatever that feat is called). While the feat lets you switch ALL your maneuvers, I presume the swift action followed by melee (or standard action) only recovers your warblade maneuvers and not ALL your maneuvers. If this is the case, readied maneuvers must be linked to the class you readied them in, and as such what prevents you from readying the same maneuver in both classes?

Yora
2010-04-11, 11:04 AM
A38 As the 20% miss chance results from the character shifting into the ethereal plane, the only way to remove this penalty would be by using a weapon that affects creatures on the material and ethereal plane at the same time.
There are some spells that can do that (like magic missile), but at least in the DMG there's no enchantment for weapons that would do that. And I've never seen any such enchantments in any other books either.

Douglas
2010-04-11, 11:14 AM
Q20 followup: I'm wondering about the whole "readied" thing though. I assume that a warblade/swordsage recovers his readied maneuvers separately via each class' respective method (or via Adaptive learning or whatever that feat is called). While the feat lets you switch ALL your maneuvers, I presume the swift action followed by melee (or standard action) only recovers your warblade maneuvers and not ALL your maneuvers. If this is the case, readied maneuvers must be linked to the class you readied them in, and as such what prevents you from readying the same maneuver in both classes?
The fact that a readied maneuver from class X must be known for class X. The fact that you know Moment of Perfect Mind as a Swordsage does not mean you can ready it as a Warblade, even if you do have levels in both classes.

A38

The Pierce Magical Concealment feat may, depending on interpretation, allow you to ignore the miss chance from using Blink.

zagan
2010-04-11, 11:21 AM
Q 39

The crystal helm soulmeld when bind to the crow chakra grant the force descriptor to all melee attack.
But apart from the ability to strike incorporeal creature does it have other advantage ? Do my attack does force damage instead of their normal damage type ?

Kaulesh
2010-04-11, 03:22 PM
Q40:
For the sake of this example, say I'm an 11th level wizard specialized in school X. I then take three levels in, say, Master Specialist (CM) which adds +1 to the existing spellcaster level. If I then take one more level as wizard, will I gain the feat for a 15th level wizard, BAB +7/+2, and all other associated goodies? Or will I just gain the spells per day of 15th level and all the other associated perks of 12th (increased BAB, saves, etc)?

Yora
2010-04-11, 03:31 PM
A38

The Pierce Magical Concealment feat may, depending on interpretation, allow you to ignore the miss chance from using Blink.
Blink does not grant concealment. By RAW it doesn't work.

A40
The +1 to spellcasting of prestige classes is strictly only for spellcasting. Wizards bonus feats (and for example druid class features) are not part of spellcasting and are not advanced by taking levels in prestige classes.

Yora
2010-04-11, 03:32 PM
Q41Does a psionic creature (with psi-like abilities) have the ability to create a psionic focus or does it need an actual power pont reserve to do so?
(I guess that could be what the Wild Talent bonus feat would be for?)

Optimystik
2010-04-11, 03:35 PM
A 41:

RAW, you need a PP reserve to become Focused, even if you are a psionic creature by other means (such as PLAs, as you suggested.)

JaronK
2010-04-11, 03:42 PM
Q40:
For the sake of this example, say I'm an 11th level wizard specialized in school X. I then take three levels in, say, Master Specialist (CM) which adds +1 to the existing spellcaster level. If I then take one more level as wizard, will I gain the feat for a 15th level wizard, BAB +7/+2, and all other associated goodies? Or will I just gain the spells per day of 15th level and all the other associated perks of 12th (increased BAB, saves, etc)?

The latter. You are a 12th level Wizard and get all the abilities thereof, but you cast as a 15th level Wizard.

JaronK

Ducklord
2010-04-11, 03:44 PM
Q 42

If you shapeshift into a Solar, can you use its spell like and spellcasting abilities?

Yora
2010-04-11, 04:21 PM
A42
That depends on what effect you used to gain the shape of a solar. The spell Shapechange states that the transformed creature gains all extraordinary and supernatural abilities. As the core rules only know three types of special abilities - extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like - it's very clear that you wouldn't get any spell-like abilities.

sofawall
2010-04-11, 05:44 PM
A42
That depends on what effect you used to gain the shape of a solar. The spell Shapechange states that the transformed creature gains all extraordinary and supernatural abilities. As the core rules only know three types of special abilities - extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like - it's very clear that you wouldn't get any spell-like abilities.

A42, expanded:

And MM5 tells us spellcasting is an Ex. ability, so you would get spellcasting, but not SLAs.

Douglas
2010-04-11, 07:08 PM
Blink does not grant concealment. By RAW it doesn't work.
Ah, but the feat doesn't say you ignore magical concealment, it says you ignore magical miss chance. Blink imposes a miss chance.

There is the bit about "from spells such as...", with a list that might be interpreted to suggest Blink doesn't fit, but that's open to interpretation.

Myou
2010-04-11, 07:11 PM
Q 43:

The Alter Fortune spell from the PHBII allows you to force any one die roll just made to be rerolled. Can you do so after you know the associated results of the roll, for example, after you have been struck for a large amount of damage, can you use Alter Fortune to have a chance of making the attack instead miss? Or does the spell have to be used before you know the effects that the roll has had?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-11, 07:59 PM
A 43 Probably not.

Alter Fortune lets you force a reroll of only the last die rolled. If the damage involved rolling dice, you could cause a reroll of one die of the damage. If the damage didn't involve rolling dice (such as when Maximize Spell was involved) you could force a reroll of the last die -- which might be your saving throw, or (if there was no save) then in that case you could force a reroll of the attack d20.

Alter Fortune doesn't care about whether results are known or not -- it's merely specific to the very last die rolled before you cast the spell.

Raven_Song
2010-04-11, 08:30 PM
Q 44
The Red Wizard prestige class from the DMG grants the scribe tatoo ability which allows the 7th level red wizard to grant the tatoo focus feat to a willing and qualified novice. Does this mean that
a) it grants the novice with tatoo focus as a bonus feat
b) it allows the novice to take tatoo focus as a feat at all
and... if b, does that mean that you need to find a 7th level red wizard to get the feat at all? or does this mean that the seventh level ability is just for fluff purposes?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-11, 09:39 PM
A 44

The answer is (mostly) b).
Early in their careers, would-be Red Wizards specialize in a school of magic and acquire the Tattoo Focus feat that prepares them for entry into the Red Wizard prestige class.
Scribe Tattoo: At 7th level, a Red Wizard gains the ability to place the Thayan wizards’ magic tattoos upon willing and qualified novices, giving them the Tattoo Focus feat and inducting them into his circle. Tattoo Focus isn't described as a bonus feat, so that's where the "qualified" part comes in: Tattoo Focus must be acquired prior to joining the prestige class. And while it looks like you need to find a Red Wizard of level 7+ to acquire the feat, the feat itself has no such requirement. This is an example of "fluff", because it's not backed up by actual RAW where it would be required. So talk to your DM about the mechanics of joining this PrC.

Delibatio
2010-04-11, 10:02 PM
Q45

Is a Simulacrum subject to critical hits and/or sneak attack?

Q46

Perhaps not possible to anwer by RAW, but would a Simulacrum be rather considered to be a construct or an illusion?

sofawall
2010-04-11, 10:12 PM
A45: Unless it is a Simulacrum of something immune, yes/

A46: Illusion, and maybe a construct as well.

Raptor2213
2010-04-12, 12:23 AM
Q 39

The crystal helm soulmeld when bind to the crow chakra grant the force descriptor to all melee attack.
But apart from the ability to strike incorporeal creature does it have other advantage ? Do my attack does force damage instead of their normal damage type ?

A39
You've asked this question twice now and gotten no responses. I would recommend going back and re-stating your question using proper grammar so it's legible and we know what in the nine hells you're asking.

Make sure you cite sources for anything that's somewhat obscure (which from what I can see is everything).

SethFahad
2010-04-12, 01:33 AM
Q 47

From BoVD p.60 Disciple of Dispater

Iron Power (Ex): When using an iron or steel weapon, a 4th-level disciple of Dispater gains a +1 insight bonus on attack and damage rolls. Furthermore, his threat range is doubled as if he were using a keen weapon. At 8th level, the insight bonus improves to +2, and the threat range triples.
This ability does not stack with the keen weapon quality, but it does stack with the Improved Critical feat.

Do abyssal Bloodiron, coldiron, mithral, starmetal, or adamantine weapons qualify? Kaorti weapons?
My guess is, mithral does...

Yora
2010-04-12, 03:30 AM
A47 "Iron or Steel" is listed as a specific material in the PHB, seperate from Mithral or Adamantine, so the term doesn't mean simply any metal, but specifically iron or steel.
So an ability that requires a weapon made from iron or steel doesn't work with any other special materials.

SethFahad
2010-04-12, 04:17 AM
Q47 cont.

A47 "Iron or Steel" is listed as a specific material in the PHB, seperate from Mithral or Adamantine, so the term doesn't mean simply any metal, but specifically iron or steel.
So an ability that requires a weapon made from iron or steel doesn't work with any other special materials.

Iron Cold DMG284

This iron mined deep underground, known for its effectiveness against fey creatures, ....

Cold Iron is Iron. Is it not?

Thinaun

This dark, glittering steel alloy holds an attraction to souls recently released from their bodies....

Thinaun is steel. Is it not?

Aurorum

This luminus steel gleams with varying hues of pink and indigo...

Solarian Truesteel

Mined on the fourth layer of the Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia, this fine iron needs no alloy and shines with silvery gleam....

Abyssal Bloodiron

In the Abyss, cataclysmic battles have raged for eons, laying down a sediment of iron, blood, and spent magic...

Other examples are: Pearlsteel, Starmetal and so on....

What about alloys, that you combine with a steel weapon like the Kheferu alloy?

SethFahad
2010-04-12, 04:37 AM
Q 48

Mortalbane feat from BoVD

The creature can make a spell-like ability particularly deadly to mortals.
Benefit: A mortalbane ability is a damaging spell-like ability that deals 2d6 points of additional damage when used against living nonoutsiders, but only half damage (rounded down) against outsiders, undead, and constructs.
Mortalbane can be applied to each of a creature’s spell-like abilities five times per day, though the feat does not allow the creature to exceed its normal usage limit for any ability.
Special: This feat can be taken multiple times.
Each time it is taken, the creature can apply it to each of its spell-like abilities five additional times per day.

Can you expend the 5 uses all at once in order to gain 10d6 points of additional damage?

edit:

Q49

What happens if you use Mortalbane with Voracious Dispelling invocation? Suppose your enemy has 3 magical effects (1st level), please calculate the damage.

zagan
2010-04-12, 04:49 AM
Q 48 ? Q50

Okay, so I'll try to be clearer.

In Magic of Incarnum p 63 the description of the Crystal Helm Soulmeld give the following benefit:
+2 to Will saving throw against charm and compulsion,
A deflection bonus to AC equal to the essentia invest in it
And if you bind the soulmeld to your Crow chakra you also gain the following benefit:

Your melee attacks gain the force descriptor, making them useful against incorporeal foes. What I want to know is does the force descriptor grant any other benefit ?

Definition for those that don't know anything about incarnum:
Soulmeld: Sort of Magic item that can only be use by incarnum class.
Essentia: Point that can be place inside a soulmel to augment it's power.
Chakra: Location on the body where the soulmeld can be bound.
Binding: A soulmeld bound to a chakra give some special ability in addition to the base one.

Kosjsjach
2010-04-12, 05:03 AM
Q 51 (so "Q 48 ?" above is actually Q 50)

I'm putting together a forest gnome Beguiler/Shadowcraft mage, and I was looking for a way to reliably trigger the Beguiler's Cloaked Casting (Ex) ability. Of course there's the distract assailant spell or invisibility, but does Cloak of Shadow (Su) from Shadowcraft Mage offer an alternative?

"While her cloak of shadow is active, a shadowcraft mage can make Hide checks as if she had concealment."
This forest gnome will have a pretty ridiculous Hide check already; what are the rules to Hide to deny your target their Dex bonus to AC?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-12, 05:47 AM
A 47 continued

Iron, historically, is the elemental metal and various amounts of carbon and slag (unintended impurities). Steel is an alloy of iron, carbon in defined amounts, and intentional inclusion of other materials.

Thus anything that specifies the material as steel qualifies as D&D steel. Anything that specifies the material as iron alone qualifies as D&D iron. Anything that specifies the material as an iron alloy not including carbon is not either D&D iron or steel; that includes abyssal bloodiron. And, of course, anything that specifies construction of some material other than iron or steel is also not iron or steel; that includes adamantine, mithral, starmetal, riverine, and glassteel (and many others).

Curmudgeon
2010-04-12, 05:58 AM
A 51

If you are visually undetectable (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#invisible) to an opponent you normally deny them their DEX bonus to AC. (Uncanny Dodge foils this.) A Hide check that beats your opponent's Spot check makes you visually undetectable.

To be allowed to make a Hide check you must satisfy two requirements:

You have cover/concealment.
You are not being observed.
Cloak of Shadow can satisfy the first requirement, but not the second. A successful Bluff check can create a temporary diversion, but requires a standard action. You're probably looking for some form of Hide in Plain Sight to bypass this second Hide requirement.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-12, 06:09 AM
A 48 No.
A spell-like ability takes the same amount of time to complete as the spell that it mimics (usually 1 standard action) unless otherwise stated. To use Mortalbane multiple times you would either need a stipulation in the feat allowing more than 2d6 damage per use (which is not present), or you fall back to the default of the same time as required for the spell-like ability for each use of the feat. Neither of these gets you to your desired 5 uses of the feat per SLA.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-12, 06:14 AM
A 49

The damage would be 1 point per active spell level (total 3 damage), plus either

2d6 against living nonoutsiders, or
half of 2d6 (rounded down) against outsiders, undead, and constructs, or
0 against other creature types.

Chen
2010-04-12, 06:39 AM
The fact that a readied maneuver from class X must be known for class X. The fact that you know Moment of Perfect Mind as a Swordsage does not mean you can ready it as a Warblade, even if you do have levels in both classes.

So effectively once you learn a maneuver for one class its "stuck" in that class forevermore? You can't learn it for another class (this is at least what your earlier comment of "you either know it or you don't")? Seems odd since there is nothing preventing me from learning Charm Person as both a Bard and a Wizard, if I happen to multi-class that way.

Taelas
2010-04-12, 10:12 AM
You "know" the maneuver (meaning it satisfies as a prerequisite), but cannot ready it before you have learned it for the class with which you want to ready it.

This is how Arcane spells work for a caster with multiple arcane spell progressions. If you have an arcane spell, it satisfies as a prerequisite to anything that requires such, regardless of what class gave it to you, even if said prerequisite is for something that grants something to the other class.

Chen
2010-04-12, 01:35 PM
You "know" the maneuver (meaning it satisfies as a prerequisite), but cannot ready it before you have learned it for the class with which you want to ready it.

That directly contradicts what Curmudgeon stated though.

Re: A 20 [correction]

douglas is correct about maneuvers being learned applying to all relevant classes. While they are learned specifically when attaining a new level in one particular class, they are known to the other class if that class can also use the maneuver's discipline. My blanket statement coupling maneuvers learned and maneuvers know was wrong; maneuvers learned by one class are only unavailable to the other class if its discipline is unavailable.

Godskook
2010-04-12, 01:45 PM
Q52
How do you calculate damage dice across multiple size increases? I've read the SRD description, and it doesn't make sense and even seems contradictory with the chart for weapon damage on different sizes.

cssmythe3
2010-04-12, 03:16 PM
Q53 Death from above!

A PC is leaping from a 35 foot high moving platform (steam powered mech) to attack a target below (a wolf suspected of being a werewolf).

Q53A How would this be treated if the player wanted to do an attack with a melee weapon?

Q53B How would this be treated if the player wanted knock the creature prone?

The PC does have a tumble of 7, and plenty of HP to survive the fall.

Koury
2010-04-12, 03:41 PM
Q54

Can I use PA/Shock Trooper in conjunction with maneuvers? Like Battle Leaders Charge, for instance.

sacreddeamon
2010-04-12, 04:11 PM
Q55

A) Does a gauntlet draw an AoO when used to strike an opponent when holding a charged spell with a range of 'touch'?

B) Does a spiked gauntlet allow the use of charged spells with a range of 'touch'?

Godskook
2010-04-12, 04:52 PM
Q55

A) Does a gauntlet draw an AoO when used to strike an opponent when holding a charged spell with a range of 'touch'?

B) Does a spiked gauntlet allow the use of charged spells with a range of 'touch'?

A55
A)If the spell is already cast, the touch attack to discharge does not provoke an AoO, with gauntlets, or without.

B)Huh?

Caphi
2010-04-12, 04:56 PM
A54

Power Attack applies to all melee attack rolls and damage made on the turn to which it applies, whether it's a normal attack, attack of opportunity, attack as part of a maneuver, or made as a result of something like snake's swiftness.

Zom B
2010-04-12, 05:11 PM
Q56

If I'm designing a monster that has a bite attack as its primary attack and dual-wields weapons in its hands, how does that work out as a single attack (the bite) and as a full attack (with the bite and a +13/+8/+3 Base Attack Bonus)? I'm assuming it will need all of the TWF feats to not take big penalties there, but what penalties does it get combining those with the bite? Would any feats help with the penalties?

sacreddeamon
2010-04-12, 05:13 PM
Q55 Continuation and Clarification

From the SRD

Alternatively, you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren’t considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. (If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack.) If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge.

Gauntlet
This metal glove lets you deal lethal damage rather than nonlethal damage with unarmed strikes. A strike with a gauntlet is otherwise considered an unarmed attack. The cost and weight given are for a single gauntlet. Medium and heavy armors (except breastplate) come with gauntlets.

Gauntlet, Spiked
Your opponent cannot use a disarm action to disarm you of spiked gauntlets. The cost and weight given are for a single gauntlet. An attack with a spiked gauntlet is considered an armed attack.

Thus, the problem to A is the question if a regular gauntlet strike allows AoOs, and B if one can use a spiked gauntlet to deliver touch attacks

Godskook
2010-04-12, 05:24 PM
A55 Continuation and Clarification
There's no rule requiring your hands for touch attacks used for discharging a spell, so being armed with gauntlets does not affect it. Making said touch attack would not provoke an AoO in either A) or B).

Is this for a duskblade(or similar) using a channel touch spell class ability? If so, the rules are different(though the answer is probably the same).

Hadessniper
2010-04-12, 05:35 PM
Q57

Does a barbarian's Fast Movement include natural fly or swim speeds?

Optimystik
2010-04-12, 05:37 PM
A 57

Not unless he's swimming or flying on land!

...I jest. Quotage:

A barbarian’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet.

JaronK
2010-04-12, 05:48 PM

No, it's a weapon and you need Duskblade class features to channel spells through weapons.

JaronK

Taelas
2010-04-12, 05:59 PM
Q56

If I'm designing a monster that has a bite attack as its primary attack and dual-wields weapons in its hands, how does that work out as a single attack (the bite) and as a full attack (with the bite and a +13/+8/+3 Base Attack Bonus)? I'm assuming it will need all of the TWF feats to not take big penalties there, but what penalties does it get combining those with the bite? Would any feats help with the penalties?

A56:
With no feats whatsoever, and ignoring stats for the moment, his attack will look like this:

+7 (MH)/+3 (OH)/+2 (MH)/-2 (bite)/-3 (MH)

If the off-hand weapon is light, it becomes

+9 (MH)/+5 (OH)/+4 (MH)/+0 (bite)/-1 (MH)

In other words, you take full two-weapon fighting penalties on all attacks. Two-weapon Fighting does not change any of this, as it only works when you attack with two weapons -- not when you attack with three. You need Multiweapon Fighting for that, but it cannot get it unless it has 3 arms or more. Multiattack will reduce the bite to +0 (+2 if the OH weapon is light), but that is about it, and it can only qualify for Multiattack if it has at least three natural attacks (for example, if its hands have claws).

EDIT: It also cannot have its Bite attack as its primary attack while it attacks with manufactured weapons.

EDIT 2: Corrected some numbers.

Paulus
2010-04-12, 06:38 PM
Q58

I'm having trouble finding items that increase your con score. Like Gloves of dexterity, belt of giant strength and so forth... IS there an item that increases con score?

EDIT: To save space, Thank you jokey665 who answered my question below, and Godskook too!

jokey665
2010-04-12, 06:41 PM
A58
Amulet of Health (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#amuletofHealth)

Godskook
2010-04-12, 06:48 PM
A58 - Additional
Magic Item Compendium has additional rules regarding items that give bonuses to stats, in the back of the book.

Additionally, the miniature's handbook has the belt of magnificence which gives the bonus to all stats.

Touchy
2010-04-12, 07:41 PM
Q59

How long does it take for a wizard(or anything with scribe scroll for that matter) to scribe a scroll under 1000 gold?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-12, 08:49 PM
A 52

Use Table 2–2: Increasing Weapon Damage by Size (Dungeon Master's Guide, page 28). Find your base weapon damage in the leftmost column, and move the number of size steps to the right to find the size-adjusted damage.

If you have something not on the table (such as 2d12), just use the base damage (in this case 1d12) and multiply the result by the base multiplicand (in this case 2). 2d12, increased 2 size steps, would be 8d6.

If you increase by more steps than are on the table, just find the rightmost entry somewhere else and continue. An example: a weapon dealing 1d3, increased 5 steps, would start with the second column of the table and proceed to 2d6 in the rightmost column after 4 size steps; then you drop down to another part of the table that has 2d6 and continue 1 step to the right, reaching the final result of 3d6.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-12, 09:20 PM
A 53A

Melee attacks require closing to reach the target. The attacker would need to move to get past the edge of the platform, then fall (and could use Tumble and Jump checks to reduce the falling damage). If the attacker ended up in a square adjacent to the wolf, they would be able to attack normally at that point. If the attacker attempted to land in the wolf's square they would need to make a Tumble check (DC 35 because you can't fall at half speed) and then continue to an adjacent square; failure would give the wolf an attack of opportunity.

A 53B

Without tripping or using a special ability, the only way to knock an opponent prone is to overrun them. The attacker could drop directly into the wolf's square. This provokes an attack of opportunity, as normal for an overrun attempt. Then the wolf has an option to avoid the overrun attempt, unless the attacker has the Improved Overrun feat. If the wolf avoids the overrun the PC must move out of the wolf's square (since you can't stay in an opponent's square unless they're helpless). Otherwise, follow the normal overrun steps (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#overrun). If you fail and are forced back, move randomly to one of the 8 adjacent squares since you can't be forced back into the air.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-12, 09:24 PM
A 59

One full day.

SilverStar
2010-04-12, 09:37 PM
Q 60

Where are the rules for creating a living spell as a player character (outside of specialized usage of certain epic spell seeds)?

Godskook
2010-04-12, 10:10 PM
Q52
How do you calculate damage dice across multiple size increases? I've read the SRD description, and it doesn't make sense and even seems contradictory with the chart for weapon damage on different sizes.

Reposting this question.

Strategos
2010-04-12, 10:10 PM
Q 61

Can a Cancer Mage's Cancerous Companion use spell like abilities from another source, for instance a. Tiefling's darkness or is it limited to the Cancer Mage's abilities?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-12, 11:21 PM
Reposting this question.
Why repost? It's already been answered!

Curmudgeon
2010-04-12, 11:27 PM
A 60

The answer is contained in Eberron Campaign Setting, page 293:
Level Adjustment: — and Monster Manual, page 6:
READING THE ENTRIES
Monsters that can be used as player characters have level adjustments and other information In short: it's against the rules. A monster without a level adjustment is not suitable for player character use.

chilepepper
2010-04-12, 11:49 PM
Q50

Crystal Helm Soulmeld

What I want to know is does the force descriptor grant any other benefit ?

A50

No. It simply adds "Force" to the type(s) of damage your weapon does. This comes into play mainly toward incorporeal creatures.

Incorporeal Subtype

An incorporeal creature has no physical body. It can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons or creatures that strike as magic weapons, and spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural abilities. It is immune to all nonmagical attack forms. Even when hit by spells or magic weapons, it has a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source (except for positive energy, negative energy, force effects such as magic missile, or attacks made with ghost touch weapons). Although it is not a magical attack, holy water can affect incorporeal undead, but a hit with holy water has a 50% chance of not affecting an incorporeal creature.

If something else interacts with "Force" damage, then it would apply to your weapon damage (if there were DR X / force for instance).

Just gaining the Force descriptor doesn't inherently add or change anything else.

Kumori
2010-04-13, 02:37 AM
Q 62

Can magic items such as scrolls and wands have their spells modified by sudden metamagic feats, or through the divine metamagic feat?

JaronK
2010-04-13, 03:18 AM
Q 62

Can magic items such as scrolls and wands have their spells modified by sudden metamagic feats, or through the divine metamagic feat?

By RAW, yes. And yes, this becomes ridiculously broken ridiculously fast if you know what you're doing.

JaronK

Curmudgeon
2010-04-13, 03:30 AM
Re: 62

You can use a sudden metamagic feat instead of its non-sudden counterpart in creating scrolls or wands. The price of using something like Sudden Widen instead of Widen Spell to create a wand of Widened Grease does not reduce the price; it's still considered a 4th level spell. Divine Metamagic adjusts the creation process in a similar way, but also has no impact on the price of the item crafted.

Can sudden metamagic feats (CAr) be used to scribe scrolls or craft wands that include the metamagic effect? If so, how would you calculate the cost (since sudden metamagic feats don’t alter the level of the spell)?
You can use a sudden metamagic feat in item creation; the cost to create the item would be just as if you were using the regular metamagic feat. For instance, using your Sudden Widen feat to create a scroll of widened fireball would cost as much as a scroll of a 6th-level spell (which is what a widened fireball is). The act of creating the scroll or wand would expend your daily use of Sudden Widen (since the act of creation triggers the spell, making it unavailable for casting).

weenie
2010-04-13, 06:20 AM
Q 63

a) Does Dimensional lock prevent you from entering and exiting a magnificent mansion?

b) Can a ghost manifest while a dimension lock is in place?

c) What happens when someone that is etheral via etheral jaunt, or some other spell enters a dimensionally locked area?

Optimystik
2010-04-13, 06:34 AM
A 63

a) Yes, because a MMM is extradimensional space. No travel in or out.

b) No, DL blocks travel into the area as well as out of it. Ghosts cannot manifest, though they are free to pass through the area in ethereal form.

c) Nothing, so long as they do not somehow stop being ethereal (e.g. their Ethereal Jaunt expires) in the area of the spell. If they do so, they have to wait until it ends or get rid of it before they can go back to being ethereal.

urbanpirate
2010-04-13, 09:14 AM
Q64
where can the rules be found for creating magic items that mimic feats? how is the value of such an item calculated.

Q 65
why can't we not be sober?
Q66
why can't we sleep forever?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-13, 10:35 AM
A 64

While the primary rule of price-matching new items to existing items remains, Arms and Equipment Guide sets broad guidelines for such items on page 128. The rule is (roughly) 10,000 gp for each feat granted, plus 5,000 - 10,000 gp for each prerequisite feat.

A 65

Arms and Equipment Guide also contains rules for alcohol intoxication on page 32. Book of Vile Darkness contains rules for drugs and addiction on pages 41-44.

A 66

D&D only tries to simulate the parts of reality that facilitate fantasy role-playing. Sleeping forever isn't interesting in this context, so there are no rules to cover such a topic.

theterran
2010-04-13, 12:08 PM
Q67

Can a Cloister Cleric that takes the Divine Magician variant drop the Knowledge Domain gained by the cloister cleric variant for the Divine Magician variant? :smallconfused:

Curmudgeon
2010-04-13, 12:24 PM
A 67 No.
Replaces: You gain only one domain (including spells and granted power) at 1st level, rather than two.
In addition to any domains selected from his deity’s list, a cloistered cleric automatically gains Knowledge as a bonus domain The Cloistered Cleric only gets Knowledge as a bonus domain. The Divine Magician alternative class feature pertains solely to the Cleric's standard two domains, not any bonus domains.

Ossian
2010-04-13, 12:29 PM
Q 68

If a monster casts spells as "class of level X" can I augment that creatures with levels in the same class? My example would be the Angel (Solar). They are described as being able to cast spells as Cleric 20, yet they do not actually have levels in Cleric. If I give them even 1 level in that class, how do I consider them? Does he get 1 extra HD but spells per day as a Cleric 21?

Same would apply to monster casting as "class x" when X is less than 20. Do they stack? How?

Thanks,

Ossian

Curmudgeon
2010-04-13, 12:42 PM
A 68 Yes.

From Monster Manual on page 294:
A spellcasting class is an associated class for a creature that already has the ability to cast spells as a character of the class in question, since the monster’s levels in the spellcasting class stack with its innate spellcasting ability. A rakshasa, for example, casts spells as a 7th-level sorcerer. If it picks up a level of sorcerer, it casts spells as an 8th-level sorcerer.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-13, 05:02 PM
Q69

The example monster I'll be using is the Very Young Red Dragon I'm building. It has a BAB of +12/+7/+2, and 1 Bite, 2 Claws, 2 Wings & 1 Tail Slap.

With regard to monsters with lots of attacks, how does a full attack work. It mentions secondary attacks take a -5 to all attacks. Does this mean:

a. +12 Bite, and all the rest go on +7.
b. +12 Bite, and all the rest go on +2.
c. +12 Bite, +7 Claw, +2 all the rest.
d. +12/+7/+2 Bite, +7 the rest.
e. +12/+7/+2 Bite, +2 the rest.

Or something else I didn't suggest? How does the Multiattack Feat work with this.

Claudius Maximus
2010-04-13, 05:39 PM
A 69

A. is the correct answer here. A creature using natural attacks does not use its iterative attacks at all, but uses its primary weapons at its full attack bonus, and all its other natural weapons at its full bonus -5.

The Multiattack feat would reduce the -5 penalty to -2, which would make your dragon attack at +12 with its bite and +10 with all its other natural weapons.

Koury
2010-04-13, 06:41 PM
Q70

I am a sorc, level 6, with Midnight Metamagic and Empower Spell. Assuming I have a 2nd point of essentia from something (say another feat, for example), can I basically Empower every single spell I cast? Or am I missing something here?

GeminiVeil
2010-04-13, 08:15 PM
Q71
Is there a published spell, ability, or method to change a character from one race (In This Case, a half-dragon half-elf) into another creature (ITC, a human) permanently, and allow them to get all the benifits for having done so? (ITC, the extra feat and skill points)

jokey665
2010-04-13, 08:21 PM
A71
Page 198 of the Player's Handbook II describes race rebuilding. Outside of that, I don't know of anything.

Runestar
2010-04-13, 09:04 PM
A 69

A. is the correct answer here. A creature using natural attacks does not use its iterative attacks at all, but uses its primary weapons at its full attack bonus, and all its other natural weapons at its full bonus -5.

The Multiattack feat would reduce the -5 penalty to -2, which would make your dragon attack at +12 with its bite and +10 with all its other natural weapons.

Lords of madness has this mouthpick, which essentially lets you wield weapons in your mouth, and should allow for iterative attacks with your bite...:smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2010-04-13, 09:20 PM
Q71
Is there a published spell, ability, or method to change a character from one race (In This Case, a half-dragon half-elf) into another creature (ITC, a human) permanently, and allow them to get all the benifits for having done so? (ITC, the extra feat and skill points)

A 071

Polymorph Any Object should perform a permanent transformation, but may not grant bonus feat and skill points...

Reincarnate would have a 15% chance.

Thurbane
2010-04-13, 09:35 PM
Q 072

Are racial traits such as Stonecunning, Stability, Low Light Vision, Darkvision etc. considered (Ex) abilities?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-13, 09:45 PM
A 70

Yes, you're missing something.
Benefit: Once per day, you can invest essentia into this feat and choose one or more spells that you know (and have prepared, if you prepare spells) to apply the effect of a metamagic feat that you know. Each spell to be affected requires the investment of a number of essentia equal to the normal spell level adjustment required by the metamagic feat (minimum 1 point of essentia). The next time you cast that spell, the spell gains the effect of that metamagic feat without any change to its level (or casting time, if you cast spells spontaneously). You get an Empower Spell boost to just the next casting of one spell daily for 2 points of essentia. You get the essentia back after the casting, but still have to wait another day to use the feat again.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-04-13, 09:58 PM
Q 73

Would a Chaotic Good Frenzied Berzerker with the Righteous Wrath feat be able to end their frenzy prematurely, or at the very least deal nonlethal damage to their allies/avoid attacking them once no more enemies remain?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-13, 10:10 PM
A 071 correction

Reincarnate would have a 15% chance.
Actually, Reincarnate would have no chance of turning a half-dragon into a human.

Size and Type: The creature’s type changes to dragon.
For a humanoid creature, the new incarnation is determined using the following table. For nonhumanoid creatures, a similar table of creatures of the same type should be created. Reincarnate can only bring a creature with the dragon type back as a creature of the dragon type. Human is not a possible outcome.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-13, 10:15 PM
A 072 No.
Natural abilities are those not otherwise designated as extraordinary, supernatural, or spell-like. No, these are all natural abilities.

Thurbane
2010-04-13, 10:18 PM
A 071 correction

Actually, Reincarnate would have no chance of turning a half-dragon into a human.
Reincarnate can only bring a creature with the dragon type back as a creature of the dragon type. Human is not a possible outcome.
Hmm, that really falls into the realm of DM choice, IMHO. "Should be created" would indicate DM fiat to me (i.e. the DM would need to create his own table of reasonable/playable creatures for each creature type other than humanoid).

Curmudgeon
2010-04-13, 10:23 PM
A 73

This feat modifies rage only; frenzy is unaffected.
While raging, you maintain clarity of mind unusual among barbarians. Only if you had both rage and frenzy active, Righteous Wrath would allow you to maintain some control.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-13, 10:29 PM
"Should be created" would indicate DM fiat to me (i.e. the DM would need to create his own table of reasonable/playable creatures for each creature type other than humanoid).
Regardless, that's the RAW. Reincarnate must bring back a half-dragon as a creature with the dragon type, and that excludes human. The fact that the DM has the option to just pick some creature of the dragon type instead of constructing a table isn't relevant to the fact that the humanoid table cannot be used for a non-humanoid creature.

Runestar
2010-04-13, 10:32 PM
A 73

This feat modifies rage only; frenzy is unaffected. Only if you had both rage and frenzy active, Righteous Wrath would allow you to maintain some control.

What's the point of the feat then? You are still in perfect control of your senses while raging. :smallannoyed:

Thurbane
2010-04-13, 10:44 PM
Regardless, that's the RAW. Reincarnate must bring back a half-dragon as a creature with the dragon type, and that excludes human. The fact that the DM has the option to just pick some creature of the dragon type instead of constructing a table isn't relevant to the fact that the humanoid table cannot be used for a non-humanoid creature.
Not to derail the thread, but I would still argue that it's not necessarily RAW.

For a humanoid creature, the new incarnation is determined using the following table. For nonhumanoid creatures, a similar table of creatures of the same type should be created.

A creature that has been turned into an undead creature or killed by a death effect can’t be returned to life by this spell. Constructs, elementals, outsiders, and undead creatures can’t be reincarnated. The spell cannot bring back a creature who has died of old age.

The wording of the first sentence "For a humanoid creature, the new incarnation is determined using the following table." is solid. The second sentence "For nonhumanoid creatures, a similar table of creatures of the same type should be created." is not as solid IMHO, due to the word "should". If it read "A creature may only be returned to life as a creature of the same type by use of this spell. Consult with your DM for an appropriate form for non-humanoids." it would be airtight.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-13, 10:52 PM
What's the point of the feat then? You are still in perfect control of your senses while raging. :smallannoyed:
Not necessarily. There are flaws, feats, and alternative class features that remove your control while in a rage. This feat overcomes them.

SethFahad
2010-04-13, 11:15 PM
Q 74

Shadow Sentinels Shadowsharp class feature

At 3rd level and higher, you can spend 1 shadow point to double the threat range of your umbral blade. This benefit is the equivalent of the keen
special ability. The effect lasts for 1 minute per class level.

At 3rd you have a total of 5 shadow points.

Can you spend more than 1 shadow point, maybe all 5 of them, to double and redouble and redoubledouble bla bla bla your threat range?

If yes how does it work:
for 19-20/x2 weapon?
for 18-20/x2 weapon?

Godskook
2010-04-13, 11:32 PM
A74

Keen explicitly doesn't stack, and this feature is "the equivalent of the keen special ability".

So no, you can't stack it with itself. I'm sure there's other reasons, but that's the most obvious.

IthilanorStPete
2010-04-13, 11:36 PM
Q 75a

When wild shaping, do the ability score increases you get as you level up carry over to the wildshaped form if applied to physical ability scores?

Q 75b

What about inherent bonuses from Tomes/Wish?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-13, 11:38 PM
A 74

The Shadowsharp class feature allows you to spend 1 shadow point. After that the basic stacking rule comes into play:
Stacking

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source Shadowsharp modifies your critical threat check. Trying to further increase your threat range from the same source (Shadowsharp) provides no benefit.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-13, 11:44 PM
A 75a No.

These are not bonuses, but rather direct increases to your normal ability scores. Wild Shape (a form of the Alternate Form special ability) replaces your form's physical ability scores.
The creature gains the physical ability scores (Str, Dex, Con) of its new form.

A 75b Yes.
Apply any changed physical ability score modifiers in all appropriate areas with one exception: the creature retains the hit points of its original form despite any change to its Constitution. Inherent bonuses, as the name specifies, are bonuses, and thus apply to the Alternate Form.

SethFahad
2010-04-14, 02:13 AM
A 74

The Shadowsharp class feature allows you to spend 1 shadow point. Shadowsharp modifies your critical threat check. Trying to further increase your threat range from the same source (Shadowsharp) provides no benefit.

Don't shadow points and inspiration points, function like action points?

Action Points ECS p.45

You can only use action once in a round. If you spend 1 or more action points on a special action (see below), you can't spend a point in the same round to improve a die roll, and vice versa..

So you can spend 1 or more points on a special action.
You can't use points to "activate" more than one "special actions" (different action) in the same round.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-14, 05:30 AM
Q71
A71

There is a rtual described in Savage Species. I'm afb at the moment, so I can't give you any details, but definitely changes your species.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-14, 06:22 AM
Don't shadow points and inspiration points, function like action points?
No, they don't. Other than the word "point", there's no connection. Action points are a setting-specific rule supplement. Shadow points are a prestige class feature. They have completely different mechanisms.

Il_Vec
2010-04-14, 11:18 AM
Q.76

How do potions/material components and WBL interact?
Example: If I drink 1000 GP worth of potions and use one Restoration in one encounter, I go below my WBL and the DM would have to take that into account to "balance" my WBL?

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-14, 11:23 AM
Q.76

How do potions/material components and WBL interact?
Example: If I drink 1000 GP worth of potions and use one Restoration in one encounter, I go below my WBL and the DM would have to take that into account to "balance" my WBL?

WBL is the amount an adventurer of your level is expected to have to spend (earned through adventuring, given as rewards etc). If you spend yours on potions and then drink them then you've spent your money. Why would the DM give you more to make up for it?

Does your boss give you more money when you spend it on food?

Douglas
2010-04-14, 11:41 AM
A76

WBL assumes that you do spend a certain amount on expendable items like potions and scrolls. See the table on (I think) page 55 of the DMG, which shows treasure gain per level and has two separate columns for the amount of treasure found and the increase in the value of equipment kept.

If you exceed the expected expendables spending, the DM is under no obligation to compensate for you. If you carefully hoard your money, pinch every copper piece, and end up with extra, the DM is likewise under no obligation to bring you back down to WBL. The WBL table is intended primarily for creation of new characters and only secondarily as a guideline - not rule - for approximately how much equipment a character who matches the "expected" power of his level should have.

SethFahad
2010-04-14, 11:23 PM
No, they don't. Other than the word "point", there's no connection. Action points are a setting-specific rule supplement. Shadow points are a prestige class feature. They have completely different mechanisms.

Sorry I'm keep pushing, but I found something interesting in Main 3.5 FAQ

I have two questions related to the factotum (Du 14) and
sneak attack:
1. Can a factotum spend more than one inspiration point on cunning strike to gain more than 1d6 points of sneak attack damage?
2. Can a factotum of 19th level use cunning brilliance to emulate a rogue’s sneak attack ability?

Answering your questions in order:
1. Yes, you can use multiple inspiration points to gain additional sneak attack damage.
2. It’s reasonable to assume that sneak attack is an extraordinary ability. When in doubt, the DM should decide if an unmarked ability qualifies. Anything that lacks a clear, supernatural element should be fair play.

If this is ok with Inspiration points, why it isn't with Shadowpoints?

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-14, 11:30 PM
Sorry I'm keep pushing, but I found something interesting in Main 3.5 FAQ

If this is ok with Inspiration points, why it isn't with Shadowpoints?

Different mechanics work differently. I don't know the class that uses Shadowpoints, but just because one class can do something, doesn't mean another class, with a similar but completely different mechanic can.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-14, 11:48 PM
Sorry I'm keep pushing, but I found something interesting in Main 3.5 FAQ Kobold-Bard already re-answered your repeated question, but I'll just add that both of the FAQ answers you quoted are wrong by the RAW. The FAQ is a useful repository of questions about the rules; it's just the answers that aren't so reliable.

SethFahad
2010-04-15, 01:27 AM
A 74 [End]

To putt a full-stop, to this queastion of mine: No you can't.

Shadow sentinel has another class feature named Shadow Drain.

Shadow Drain (Su): At 7th level and higher, you can spend 1 or more shadow points when striking a living creature with your umbral blade. The attack permanently drains 1 point of Strength from the target per shadow point spent.
You can spend a maximum number of shadow points per round on this ability equal to one-half your class level.

There is nothing similar in the Shadowsharp description that implies that you can spend more points.

In addition, Shadowsharp description says that "this benefit is the equivalent of the keen special ability". So no, you can't "keen-enhance" your sword more than once.

Thank you and sorry to bother you. (It was right infront of my nose) :smallsigh:

SethFahad
2010-04-15, 05:42 AM
Q 77

WAR DOMAIN

Granted Power: Free Martial Weapon Proficiency with deity’s favored weapon (if necessary) and Weapon Focus with the deity’s favored weapon.

What happens if a cleric doesn't worship a particular deity, and takes the War domain?

Taelas
2010-04-15, 05:49 AM
A77:
You do not get any feats. You do not have a deity, thus it cannot apply.

SethFahad
2010-04-15, 05:55 AM
Q 78

HOLY WARRIOR [RESERVE]
Your zeal on the battlefield allows you to deal extra damage in combat.
Prerequisites: Ability to cast 4th-level spells, access to the War domain.
Benefit: As long as you have a 4th-level or higher War domain spell available to cast, you gain a bonus on your weapon damage rolls equal to the level of the highest-level War spell you have available to cast.
As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting force spells.

CC p.53
Each reserve feat's primary benefit is a supernatural ability that is usable at will. Unless otherwise noted, the effect requires a standard action to activate, and doing so does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

How does Holy Warrior feat works?

Is it constantly active as long as you have a 4th-level or higher War domain spell available to cast?
Or activates via standard action and for the duration of the attack roll?

Taelas
2010-04-15, 05:58 AM
A78:
It is constantly active as long as you have a 4th level War domain slot available to cast. This goes under the "unless otherwise noted" clause.

cssmythe3
2010-04-15, 08:07 AM
Q79 Can a 2nd level character who is bard 1 / marshal 1 have both a 'minor aura' and inspire courage at the same time?

marshal is here:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b

Auras are:

Activating an aura involves haranguing, ordering, directing, encouraging, cajoling, or calming allies. A marshal sizes up the enemy, allies, and the terrain, then gives allies the direction that they can use to do their best.

Inspire courage is:

A bard with 3 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use song or poetics to inspire courage in his allies (including himself), bolstering them against fear and improving their combat abilities.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-15, 08:51 AM
A 79 Yes.

Projecting an aura requires a swift action, but no action thereafter; and starting a bardic music effect takes a standard action. Thus both effects could be initiated in the same round.

GeminiVeil
2010-04-15, 10:48 AM
Q80
If I have, let's say, a potion of Reduce Person in Oil form, and lob it at a giant --EDIT-- an enlarged human, would this:

Q80a
Count as a ranged touch attack as it counts as a 'splash' weapon? Since I am only trying to cover him in liquid? and

Q80b
Does he get a save? I don't reacall seeing anywhere that potions allow saves, but I admitidly might have missed it.
finally

Q80c
Can I even actually do this?

EDIT: Forgot about creature type, edited in something more appropriate. Don't know how to apply a strikeout, though.

SilverStar
2010-04-15, 10:50 AM
A 80

Reduce Person won't work on a giant, as he doesn't have the correct creature type.

Cogidubnus
2010-04-15, 12:13 PM
Q81 How do you research new spells? I've found references but no rules :smallconfused:

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-15, 12:19 PM
A81

You talk to your DM about your spell idea and work out the details and appropriate spell level. There are no rules because you just make it up.

Maybe post a thread about it in the homebrew forum to get some feedback on it.

Regardless, there's no RAW answer.

GeminiVeil
2010-04-15, 12:28 PM
Q82
If I have, let's say, a potion of Reduce Person in Oil form, and lob it at an enlarged human, would this:

Q82a
Count as a ranged touch attack as it counts as a 'splash' weapon? Since I am only trying to cover him in liquid? and

Q82b
Does he get a save? I don't reacall seeing anywhere that potions allow saves, but I admitidly might have missed it.
finally

Q82c
Can I even actually do this?

*reposted for accuracy*

sofawall
2010-04-15, 02:09 PM
A80: You can throw the potion, but it would not do anything to him.
A82: You can throw the potion, but it would not do anything to him.

Also, why did you see the need to repost the same question less than 2 hours after the first? Even if nobody else answers, Curmudgeon tends to be fairly comprehensive when going through this thread, and answers most questions.

GeminiVeil
2010-04-15, 03:15 PM
A80: You can throw the potion, but it would not do anything to him.
A82: You can throw the potion, but it would not do anything to him.

Also, why did you see the need to repost the same question less than 2 hours after the first? Even if nobody else answers, Curmudgeon tends to be fairly comprehensive when going through this thread, and answers most questions.

Q80-82 continued
Why would the potion in oil form not do anything?

I messed up on the original question by asking about a creature that Reduce Person doesn't affect, and I'm still fairly new. I noticed, though, that when one person answers a question, often that's the only answer given except in rare instances where their answer is wrong. If I overstepped, I apologize. :smallsmile:

Zherog
2010-04-15, 03:30 PM
You can't make it an oil. Oils are for things that can't drink a potion. Swords can't drink potions so it's an oil of Magic Weapon, but people can drink potions so Mage Armour is a potion.

oil of invisibility in the SRD would like to have a word with you ;)

POTIONS AND OILS

A potion is a magic liquid that produces its effect when imbibed. Magic oils are similar to potions, except that oils are applied externally rather than imbibed. A potion or oil can be used only once. It can duplicate the effect of a spell of up to 3rd level that has a casting time of less than 1 minute.

Potions are like spells cast upon the imbiber. The character taking the potion doesn’t get to make any decisions about the effect —the caster who brewed the potion has already done so. The drinker of a potion is both the effective target and the caster of the effect (though the potion indicates the caster level, the drinker still controls the effect).

The person applying an oil is the effective caster, but the object is the target.

Nothing in those rules states oils have to be used on an item. Using either requires a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity. I don't see any good reason why somebody couldn't make an oil of reduce person that they apply to themselves rather than drinking.

GeminiVeil
2010-04-15, 03:47 PM
Q82 Cont Cont :smallsmile:
Um... Yeah... I kinda already knew you can make it either. lol
I just need to know if you can, effectively, force the effect on another character/creature. Nothing I read in the whole description says either way.

Zherog
2010-04-15, 04:22 PM
*scrolls back and actually reads the question*

As a GM, I wouldn't allow that (and I'm pretty open to crazy ideas from players). I think this bit from the rules makes it not work:

Activation: Drinking a potion or applying an oil requires no special skill. The user merely removes the stopper and swallows the potion or smears on the oil. The following rules govern potion and oil use.

Drinking a potion or using an oil on an item of gear is a standard action. The potion or oil takes effect immediately. Using a potion or oil provokes attacks of opportunity. A successful attack (including grappling attacks) against the character forces a Concentration check (as for casting a spell). If the character fails this check, she cannot drink the potion. An enemy may direct an attack of opportunity against the potion or oil container rather than against the character. A successful attack of this sort can destroy the container.

A creature must be able to swallow a potion or smear on an oil. Because of this, incorporeal creatures cannot use potions or oils.

Any corporeal creature can imbibe a potion. The potion must be swallowed. Any corporeal creature can use an oil.

A character can carefully administer a potion to an unconscious creature as a full-round action, trickling the liquid down the creature’s throat. Likewise, it takes a full-round action to apply an oil to an unconscious creature.

The last three paragraphs, especially, seem to rule it out.

As an alternative, you can certainly make a wondrous item called a vial of reduction (or whatever) that worked as a ranged touch attack. Though even in that case I'd still allow the Fort save.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-15, 05:07 PM
I noticed, though, that when one person answers a question, often that's the only answer given except in rare instances where their answer is wrong.
If one answer is both correct and explains why that's the case by the RAW, that's all that should be given here. After all, the intent of this thread is that simple questions can be met with simple answers. :smallsmile:

You'll most commonly find me providing a "duplicate" answer when the first response is of the form "I would say ..." rather than referring to the rules.

GeminiVeil
2010-04-15, 05:23 PM
If one answer is both correct and explains why that's the case by the RAW, that's all that should be given here. After all, the intent of this thread is that simple questions can be met with simple answers. :smallsmile:

You'll most commonly find me providing a "duplicate" answer when the first response is of the form "I would say ..." rather than referring to the rules.

However, if you note the answer that was given to me by the same individual who asked about the double post, all he said is "It won't do anything." That doesn't explain anything, so how can I know if it's correct?

Curmudgeon
2010-04-15, 06:30 PM
... all he said is "It won't do anything." That doesn't explain anything, so how can I know if it's correct?
You can't, of course; if you couldn't find the original answer by yourself, you can't verify somebody else's answer with no explanation. Please do ask for an explanation in such a circumstance.

Ernir
2010-04-15, 09:35 PM
Q83

In the description of the Charge action (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#charge) on the SRD, it says:
If you are able to take only a standard action or a move action on your turn, you can still charge, but you are only allowed to move up to your speed (instead of up to double your speed). You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn.

Does the bolded part mean that you can perform a partial Charge even if you are unable to take standard actions, say from being nauseated? :smallconfused:

Zherog
2010-04-15, 10:51 PM
A 83 I suppose if you wanted to go with a super-literal reading, then yes. However, for what the intention is, you're parsing it wrong. It's intended to be when you can only take a standard or move, such as in a surprise round.

Godskook
2010-04-15, 11:16 PM
Correction 83

Nauseated specifically calls out that you're not allowed to attack. It doesn't specify an action type for that restriction. If you could attack as a free action normally, you still couldn't do so while Nauseated.

SethFahad
2010-04-16, 05:50 AM
Q 84

How much does a Kaorti Resin weapon or armor cost(additional cost)??? I didn't found any info in FF...

Kosjsjach
2010-04-16, 06:14 AM
Q 84

How much does a Kaorti Resin weapon or armor cost(additional cost)??? I didn't found any info in FF...

A 84

Permanent kaorti items seem to require an XP cost paid by the kaorti, as detailed here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a):

A kaorti must begin to process of making a magic item by first collecting enough resin for the job and forming it into a suitable shape. Kaorti resin typically lasts only about 500 days, so a kaorti item maker must strengthen it with extra material excreted from its own body to fashion a truly permanent item; this process costs the kaorti experience points equal to 50% of the market price for a masterwork item of the appropriate type. After that, a kaorti can reduce the cost to make a magic item by 5 gp for every XP spent, to a minimum of 35% of the normal cost (and it must spend at least 1/5th the base item's cost in XP). A kaorti character cannot spend so much experience so as to cost itself a level to create an item. Multiple kaorti can work together to create a single item, but none can contribute less than 33% of the total amount of experience points necessary to create the item. All kaorti must fulfill the requirements necessary to create the item.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-16, 01:44 PM
Q85

Do Natural Armour bonuses stack? I know normally bonuses of the same type don't, but these give the clause that it just increases your NA instead of overlapping. Is that right, or am I getting my hopes up.

Partysan
2010-04-16, 01:50 PM
Q86
Are there stats for a swordstaff in D&D 3.5 and if, which book contains them?

SethFahad
2010-04-16, 02:14 PM
A 84

Permanent kaorti items seem to require an XP cost paid by the kaorti, as detailed here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a):

meaning...how much will *I* pay to the kaorti guy?

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-16, 02:33 PM
Q87

Do Dragons have special limitations in what Magic Items they can wear? If so what are they/where can they be found?

Q88

Red Dragon's SRD entry says they can cast Cleric Spells as if they were Divine spells. Obviously this is intended to mean their inherent Sorcerer spells, but if a Red Dragon also had actual Sorcerer levels is there a rule somewhere that clarifies whether they can pick Cleric Spells for them too? Or is it a DM's decision?

arguskos
2010-04-16, 02:36 PM
Q87

Do Dragons have special limitations in what Magic Items they can wear? If so what are they/where can they be found?
A87

Yes. Draconomicon pg 24.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-16, 04:06 PM
A 85 Generally no.

Some natural armor bonuses from templates specifically state that they stack.
Armor Class: Natural armor improves by +3. Additionally, there are both natural armor bonuses and natural armor enhancement bonuses, which are separate bonus types and thus both apply. But usually the general stacking rule applies, and you get the best of all available NA bonuses -- not their sum.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-16, 04:08 PM
meaning...how much will *I* pay to the kaorti guy?
You follow the standard rule for all magic items:
Each XP in the component costs adds 5 gp to the market price.

Runestar
2010-04-16, 07:09 PM
Q88

Red Dragon's SRD entry says they can cast Cleric Spells as if they were Divine spells. Obviously this is intended to mean their inherent Sorcerer spells, but if a Red Dragon also had actual Sorcerer levels is there a rule somewhere that clarifies whether they can pick Cleric Spells for them too? Or is it a DM's decision?

A88) The sorc lvs stack with a dragon's existing spellcasting, so you are effectively still selecting spells for their "inherent" sorc spells. Thus, you would be allowed to pick cleric spells for them too.

Panigg
2010-04-16, 08:17 PM
Q89

How do effects like haste or slashing flurry interact with two weapon fighting? Do they give you one extra attack with either the main or the offhand or one extra attack with both weapons?

http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Slashing_Flurry

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/Haste.htm

Douglas
2010-04-16, 08:28 PM
A89

Effects like this give you one additional attack regardless of how many weapons you are wielding. You may choose any of your available weapons to use for this extra attack (potentially subject to restrictions from the ability giving the extra attack), but wielding additional weapons does not multiply the bonus.

Kyuu Himura
2010-04-16, 09:31 PM
Q 90

Can you trip during a full attack??

Runestar
2010-04-16, 09:36 PM
Q 90

Sure, why not? Tripping is an attack action, so you can devote any or all of your attacks to it.

deuxhero
2010-04-16, 09:40 PM
Q 90

Yes you can, I think it's explicitly mentioned. Temple of Elemental Evil lets you do it at least.

arguskos
2010-04-16, 09:53 PM
A90 Clarification
Yes. Trip, along with disarm and sunder, are attack actions, meaning they can be substituted for just hitting the other dude. In their SRD entries, they read as "as a melee attack" or "as an attack", meaning they can be freely mixed with each other and normal attacks in a full attack routine.

Douglas
2010-04-16, 09:56 PM
A90 Clarification
Yes. Trip, along with disarm and sunder, are attack actions, meaning they can be substituted for just hitting the other dude. In their SRD entries, they read as "as a melee attack" or "as an attack", meaning they can be freely mixed with each other and normal attacks in a full attack routine.
Incidentally, this wording also means that these special attacks can be used as AoOs too.

arguskos
2010-04-16, 09:59 PM
Incidentally, this wording also means that these special attacks can be used as AoOs too.
That's true, and is the key to more than a few good melee battlefield control builds. This guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127026) is good for such things.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-17, 03:41 AM
A88) The sorc lvs stack with a dragon's existing spellcasting, so you are effectively still selecting spells for their "inherent" sorc spells. Thus, you would be allowed to pick cleric spells for them too.

Sweeeeeet.

------------------------
Repost because it was at the bottom of a page, and was hopefully just missed rather than people not knowing:

Q85

Do Natural Armour bonuses stack? I know normally bonuses of the same type don't, but these give the clause that it just increases your NA instead of overlapping giving a particular type of bonus. Is that right, or am I getting my hopes up.

IthilanorStPete
2010-04-17, 03:58 AM
A 85 Generally no.

Some natural armor bonuses from templates specifically state that they stack. Additionally, there are both natural armor bonuses and natural armor enhancement bonuses, which are separate bonus types and thus both apply. But usually the general stacking rule applies, and you get the best of all available NA bonuses -- not their sum.

Reposted because you apparently missed it.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-17, 04:08 AM
Reposted because you apparently missed it.

:smallconfused: How the hell did I do that.

My apologies, though just to confirm: if it says that your NA improves by a certain amount, then it stacks? Because that's what Shapeshift Druid says and that's what I need it for.

Thanks for the answer, and for bringing it to my attention, because I'm apparently blind :smallredface:

Curmudgeon
2010-04-17, 04:38 AM
just to confirm: if it says that your NA improves by a certain amount, then it stacks?
Yes, that's exactly what it means.

Claudius Maximus
2010-04-17, 09:38 PM
Q 91

How do temporary ability score increases affect abilities that have a number of uses based on that ability score's modifier? If a cleric has 10 charisma and therefore 3 uses of Turn Undead, would he gain another 2 uses of Turn undead while under the effect of Eagle's Splendor? If so, what happens if he uses all five, and then receives another Eagle's Splendor later in the day? Would he gain another two?

Runestar
2010-04-17, 10:03 PM
Q 91

How do temporary ability score increases affect abilities that have a number of uses based on that ability score's modifier? If a cleric has 10 charisma and therefore 3 uses of Turn Undead, would he gain another 2 uses of Turn undead while under the effect of Eagle's Splendor? If so, what happens if he uses all five, and then receives another Eagle's Splendor later in the day? Would he gain another two?

Only for the first casting, you don't get 2 extra turn attempts per casting of eagle's splendor.

The first time you cast eagle's splendor, you get 2 extra turn attempts, increasing your total to 5. Let's say you then spend all 5. When eagle's splendor expires, you lose 2 turn attempts, bringing your total number of uses to -2. When you next cast eagle's splendor, you get 2 more, raising your total to 0. When it expires, the total drops again to -2. And so on. :smallsmile:

Il_Vec
2010-04-17, 10:29 PM
Q92

The Dread Necromancer class comes from where?

Eloel
2010-04-17, 10:42 PM
Q92

The Dread Necromancer class comes from where?
A92
Heroes of Horror.

Koury
2010-04-17, 10:48 PM
Only for the first casting, you don't get 2 extra turn attempts per casting of eagle's splendor.

The first time you cast eagle's splendor, you get 2 extra turn attempts, increasing your total to 5. Let's say you then spend all 5. When eagle's splendor expires, you lose 2 turn attempts, bringing your total number of uses to -2. When you next cast eagle's splendor, you get 2 more, raising your total to 0. When it expires, the total drops again to -2. And so on. :smallsmile:

Is there a rule about that somewhere? I've never heard of having -2 turn attempts before.

Runestar
2010-04-17, 10:59 PM
Is there a rule about that somewhere? I've never heard of having -2 turn attempts before.

The basic idea is that you track uses expended, not remaining. The following entry is from the 3.5 FAQ at the wotc website.

When a cleric has a temporary bonus to his Charisma
score, does it affect his turning check or turning damage?
Does it change the number of times he can turn or rebuke
per day?
Unless otherwise stated, a temporary bonus to an ability
score has the same effect as a permanent one. For example, a
cleric with a temporary +4 enhancement bonus to Charisma
(such as from eagle’s splendor) adds 2 to his turning check and
to his turning damage while the spell was in effect, since his
Charisma modifier is 2 points higher than it was before.
Things get a little stickier when talking about powers with
daily limits, such as turn/rebuke undead or lay on hands. (Hold
on, because this gets worse before it gets better.) In this case, a
change to the key ability score indeed affects the daily limit—
in the example above, the cleric would gain 2 additional
turn/rebuke attempts per day—but these aren’t just “free” uses.
Here’s why:
Assume the cleric above has a normal Charisma score of
12, granting him 4 turn attempts per day (3 + 1 for Cha bonus).
Casting eagle’s splendor increases his Charisma to 16, which
would grant 6 attempts per day. At the end of the spell,
however, his daily limit would drop back down to 4 attempts.
At that point, the player must compare the number of daily uses
expended to the daily limit to see if any still remain.
Here’s how that might work in play. Our cleric turns
undead twice, then casts eagle’s splendor right before a big
fight with a horde of zombies. During the duration of the spell,
he makes four more turning checks. When the spell ends, he
compares his new daily limit (4) to the number of attempts used
(6)—whoops, no turns left. Hope all the undead have been
destroyed, because even if the cleric cast eagle’s splendor
again, he wouldn’t have any more turning attempts available,
since he’s already used all 6 of his allotted attempts. If he could
increase his Charisma to 18, he’d “gain” one more turning
attempt (since he has now used 6 out of his allotted 7 daily
attempts), usable only during the duration of the Charismaboosting
effect.
The same is true of the paladin’s lay on hands ability. If the
paladin gains a temporary Charisma boost, her total capacity of
healing via lay on hands improves accordingly, but she must
keep track of the healing “used up” to see if any remains after
the boost ends.
Temporary ability reductions (such as penalties or damage)
work similarly. When applying a reduction, do the math as if a
bonus had just elapsed to see if any daily uses are left, and
reverse that when the reduction goes away to see what (if
anything) the character regains. If our cleric above is hit by
touch of idiocy and suffers a –4 penalty to Charisma, his daily
limit of turning attempts is reduced from 4 to 2; if he’s already
used 2 or more, he has none available as long as the spell’s
effect lasts.
This seems more complicated than it actually is. As long as
you remember that the important number to track is not uses
remaining, but uses expended, everything else should fall into
place.

Raptor2213
2010-04-17, 11:38 PM
Q93
There is a feat called "Spell Effects", I believe it was re-posted in "Ultimate Feats" by Mongoose, but I need to know the original book it came from. Does anyone know where it came from originally, or if there is a feat that does a similar job from another source?

Spell Effects (General)
You can add, subtract, or otherwise modify the sensory effects of any spell you cast.

Prerequisites: Ability to cast spells from the illusion school.

Benefit: Through the use of illusions, you may alter any of the sensory effects of any spell you cast. This alteration includes the addition and subtraction of elements, so that, for example, a fireball might glow with a greenish hue, or a magic missile might take on the shape of a shard of glass. None of these alterations can effect the way a spell works. Thus, a fireball could be made to appear like a ball of ice, but the spell would still deliver fire damage rather than cold damage.

Special: At the Games Master's discretion, particularly unusual or out-of-the-ordinary alterations might increase the DC of Spellcraft checks to identify the spell by as much as five.

Runestar
2010-04-17, 11:41 PM
Q93
There is a feat called "Spell Effects", I believe it was re-posted in "Ultimate Feats" by Mongoose, but I need to know the original book it came from. Does anyone know where it came from originally, or if there is a feat that does a similar job from another source?

Spell Effects (General)
You can add, subtract, or otherwise modify the sensory effects of any spell you cast.

Benefit: Through the use of illusions, you may alter any of the sensory effects of any spell you cast. This alteration includes the addition and subtraction of elements, so that, for example, a fireball might glow with a greenish hue, or a magic missile might take on the shape of a shard of glass. None of these alterations can effect the way a spell works. Thus, a fireball could be made to appear like a ball of ice, but the spell would still deliver fire damage rather than cold damage.

Special: At the Games Master's discretion, particularly unusual or out-of-the-ordinary alterations might increase the DC of Spellcraft checks to identify the spell by as much as five.

A94: That spell seems quite similar to the thematic spell feat from player's guide to faerun. Let you designate 1 spell/spell lv according to a theme, and spells take on that visage. Also grants +1 caster lv and opponent has a spellcraft penalty when identifying them.

Jon_Dahl
2010-04-18, 01:25 AM
Q94

If you cast Maximized Summon Monster, does the summoned monster have maximum hit points?

Runestar
2010-04-18, 04:03 AM
Q94

If you cast Maximized Summon Monster, does the summoned monster have maximum hit points?

No, only the option for rolling for additional summoned monsters is affected.

Volthawk
2010-04-18, 04:33 AM
Q95

If a construct is made into a Living Construct with the Soulborn Construct template, does it keep the extra health from size?

Yora
2010-04-18, 08:28 AM
Q96 Does feint allow for rogues to make Sneak Attacks?

Taelas
2010-04-18, 09:11 AM
A96:
Yes. Any time an opponent is denied his Dexterity bonus to AC, whether he has one or not, you can sneak attack. Using the Bluff skill to Feint causes the target to lose his Dex bonus to AC for your next attack (which must be made on or before your next turn).

Raptor2213
2010-04-18, 02:47 PM
Q93

Spell Effects (General)

A93: That spell seems quite similar to the thematic spell feat from player's guide to faerun. Let you designate 1 spell/spell lv according to a theme, and spells take on that visage. Also grants +1 caster lv and opponent has a spellcraft penalty when identifying them.

A93 Correction
Magic of Faerun, not Player's Guide to Faerun. Also, what it does is allow you choose a 'theme', and ALL spells cast will have that theme, and it adds +5 to the spellcraft DC to determine the spell cast. It does NOT add to caster level. It's also called Spell Thematics, though you were close.

Many thanks for finding it for me though, that will work quite nicely.

IthilanorStPete
2010-04-18, 03:27 PM
A93 Correction
Magic of Faerun, not Player's Guide to Faerun. Also, what it does is allow you choose a 'theme', and ALL spells cast will have that theme, and it adds +5 to the spellcraft DC to determine the spell cast. It does NOT add to caster level. It's also called Spell Thematics, though you were close.

Many thanks for finding it for me though, that will work quite nicely.

A 93 correction

Magic of Faerun is 3.0, and is superseded by the PgtF. Spell Thematics, as per PgtF p. 44, does in fact increase caster level by 1.

Glimbur
2010-04-18, 04:59 PM
Q 97

The Sword of the Arcane Order feat from Champions of Valor allows rangers to memorize and cast wizard spells. They are based off of Int, instead of the standard ranger spellcasting of Wis. Do these spells count as arcane or divine? This matters to me both for arcane spell failure and for qualifying for PrC's.

Curmudgeon
2010-04-18, 06:22 PM
A 97

Spells prepared in Ranger spell slots are divine unless explicitly specified otherwise, and the Sword of the Arcane Order feat doesn't change this.

Warclam
2010-04-18, 06:26 PM
Q 98

What is the lowest-level spell that produce intense pain, sufficient for the extraction of agony with the spell liquid pain (BoVD)? Best I've found is wrack (BoVD), 3rd level.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-18, 06:29 PM
A 98
I'd like to say Power word Pain in Races of the Dragon. But BoVD isn't very clear what kind of spells are needed.

Amphetryon
2010-04-18, 08:16 PM
Q 99What's the lowest CR Fine-sized creature that isn't part of a swarm?

Kaulesh
2010-04-19, 12:21 PM
Q 100
What are some examples of strength or dexterity checks? I can't seem to find information on them anywhere.

Specifically, do attack rolls or reflex saves count?

Explanation: I rolled up a factotum and am trying to decide if I add my int bonus to the above values.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-04-19, 01:47 PM
Q 101

Does a monk's Wisdom bonus to AC stack with the sword sage's Wisdom bonus to AC?