PDA

View Full Version : Hottest restaurant in Iceland

Asta Kask
2010-04-07, 04:31 PM
This is awesome (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1263933/Iceland-volcano-Chefs-cook-dinner-molten-lava.html)

Cobalt
2010-04-07, 04:33 PM
That’s unsanitary. And extremely unsafe.

…I need directions.

arguskos
2010-04-07, 04:44 PM
That's AWESOME. +5 approval.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-04-07, 06:19 PM
Now that is fine dining. I commend the efforts of Mr. Eiriksson in harnessing the might of a volcano for the empowerment of delicious seafood dishes.

The spirit of adventure still burns, like lava, somewhere in the world!

Deth Muncher
2010-04-07, 06:25 PM
No really, this is the best thing ever.

Perenelle
2010-04-07, 06:37 PM
*adds to list of places to visit before I die*

Thats amazingness. :smallbiggrin: though being on an active volcano isnt very safe... but that wouldn't stop me. :smalltongue:

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-04-07, 11:19 PM
That’s unsanitary. =

I fail to see how that's unsanitary when the molten lava is going to be hot enough to kill any bacteria that may be on the food/cooking utensils.

KilltheToy
2010-04-08, 09:53 AM
I have one more reason to go to Iceland.

I wonder how much a ticket to Reykjavík is. Too much, probably.

Douglas
2010-04-08, 10:12 AM
Hey, stop stealing ideas from the Curse of Monkey Island!:smallwink::smallbiggrin:

Forever Curious
2010-04-08, 10:37 AM
I fail to see how that's unsanitary when the molten lava is going to be hot enough to kill any bacteria that may be on the food/cooking utensils.

Ash and smoke I'd assume. I believe that volcanoes can produce toxic fumes...

Still, completely full of win.

Perenelle
2010-04-08, 04:14 PM

speaking of the food/cooking utensils, wouldnt the cooking utensils melt and the food catch on fire..? are they actually cooking on the lava or are they just using the heat of the rocks? :smallconfused:

arguskos
2010-04-08, 04:15 PM
speaking of the food/cooking utensils, wouldnt the cooking utensils melt and the food catch on fire..? are they actually cooking on the lava or are they just using the heat of the rocks? :smallconfused:
Cook on the cooled lava. "Cooled" means its still hundreds of degrees, plenty hot enough to cook food well, but not so hot it'll melt the pan or something.

Perenelle
2010-04-08, 04:26 PM
Cook on the cooled lava. "Cooled" means its still hundreds of degrees, plenty hot enough to cook food well, but not so hot it'll melt the pan or something.

ah, thanks for clarifying.

I wonder how the cooks are hired/trained... pretty sure you dont learn how to cook on volcanoes in culinary school. :smalltongue: I guess its pretty much the same concept as cooking on a stove or other hot surface though.

13_CBS
2010-04-08, 05:04 PM
Actually, I wonder if it's possible to, say, roast meat by setting it at a reasonable distance away from a flow of molten lava. Hmm...

Pyroclastic Chicken: Now Fortified with Minerals!

arguskos
2010-04-08, 05:05 PM
I'd bet it's possible to do that. Probably not super hard either, just don't get caught by an errant flow. :smalltongue: