PDA

View Full Version : NAAGAGHH YAHAGODA GOG AGAA AAAA [Epic 3.5 Monster]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2010-04-07, 06:06 PM
The Obsession Entity
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Nny2/KinRunes2.jpg

Inspired by Adorjan of Exalted fame, the Orange Lantern Corps,
H.P. Lovecraft, and my own aberrant imagination.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Nny2/The%20Entities/Entity-Contentment.jpg
Art done by the magnificent Misterfungi (http://www.misterfungi.com/).

Gargantuan Outsider (Chaos, Extraplanar)
HD: 32d8+416 (560 hp)
Initiative: +19
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 120 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 64 (+11 Dex, -4 size, +29 Natural, +18 madness), touch 35, flat-footed 53
Base Attack/Grapple: +32/+50
Attack: Bite +45 melee (3d6+16) or fin +39 melee (2d6+8)
Full Attack: +45/+45/+40/+35/+30 melee (3d6+16) and 4 fins +39 melee (2d6+8)
Space/Reach: 20 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Aura of madness, clustered maw, death dealing journey, maneuvers, scarlet rapture shintai, seek obsession, you are mine
Special Qualities: Alien mind, darkvision 60 ft., DR 20/epic and lawful, epic madspawn, murder is meat, immunity to acid, cold, petrification, mind-affecting abilities and transmutation, regeneration 15, resistance to elec 20, fire 20, sonic 20, spell resistance 43, telepathy 1,000 ft., true seeing, unimpeded perfection of exertion, who strikes the wind?
Saves: Fort +31, Ref +35, Will +13
Abilities: Str 43, Dex 33, Con 36, Int 26, Wis 1, Cha 45
Skills: Balance +13, Bluff +35, Concentration +33, Diplomacy +19, Disguise +17(+19 acting in character), Escape Artist +46, Heal +25, Hide +34, Intimidate +39, Jump +18, Knowledge (arcana) +33, Knowledge (psionics) +28, Knowledge (the planes) +43, Listen +25, Martial Lore +43, Move Silently +46, Search +43, Sense Motive +30, Sleight of Hand +48, Spot +25, Survival -5 (-3 on other planes, -3 while following tracks, -1 following tracks on other planes), Tumble +46, Use Rope +11(+13 using bindings)
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Improved Feint, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Oncoming Storm Expertise, Sturmundrang, Weapon Focus (bite)
Epic Feats: Epic Reflexes, Rage of the Oncoming Typhoon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122190), Superior Initiative, Signature Move (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95516) (ultimate parry)
Environment: The Far Realm
Organization: Solitary or with current obsession
Challenge Rating: 32
Treasure: Double standard
Alignment: Chaotic neutral
Advancement: 33+ HD (gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: --

In the sky is a terrible torrent of smoke and clouds, one that moves with utter silence. The clouds dissipate slowly to reveal a terrible mass of brown, blue and orange flesh in the most very vague shape of a fish. Its sides are dotted with strange orifices that seem to exude clouds and orange light just above four or five fleshy fins. Gossamer wings ring around its backside along with translucent crystal hairs. Its maw is covered with razored teeth, and it opens wide to reveal countless other jaws moving out of unison in a strange flurry. Tiny eyes stare down at you and you feel as though it wants nothing more than you.

The Obsession Entity is a terrible eldritch horror that very well embodies the concept of mindless, emotionless obsession. It could quite possibly feel emotions, if it does indeed they are emotions far too powerful and indistinguishable from one another. With this amalgamation of horrors and feelings, it has become a monster that seeks not but what it desires and typically focuses on one random object or creature at a time, though that's not always the case.
The Entity does not currently exist in the Material Plane, for it seems not many things have caught its interest there. This is fully capable of changing at any given moment, and once it has a new desire it will not stop until it is found and consumed. As with mankind, the Entity destroys all it loves so it might keep its physical memory alive for eternity, acting as its aberrant slave.

The Obsession Entity does not speak coherently, and can only produce a guttural whale-like sound that could also be be interpreted as the screams of countless devoured souls. It is capable of speaking to any creature with a language with its telepathy, though that is hardly more understandable than guttural whalespeak. Its light constructs can also speak for it in semi-coherent speech, in languages the constructs knew in life.

The Obsession Entity weighs several dozen tons but it can keep itself aloft through willpower alone without effort.

Like all outsiders, the Obsession Entity need only breathe, but can breath air, salt water, fresh water, Far Realm viscera, ultraviolet light, and love.

COMBAT
The Obsession Entity likes to lash out with swift, deft blows and preferably from hidden positions. In many cases, if it has enough light constructs under its command it will send them off to weaken foes first. Once it comes into contact with what it desires, it will lower its aura of hurricane clouds to reveal itself and either beg for its companionship or devour it to make another light construct, though the latter is likely to happen in almost every case. No one, not even its obsession is spared from its Aura of Madness, however.

The Obsession Entity's natural weapons and any weapons it wields count as chaotic and epic for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

Alien Mind (Ex): The mind of the Entity is a confusing and irritating cluster of obsessions and unrecognizable emotions, sending anyone who delves in to a screaming pit of madness. Any creature who attempts to read the thoughts of the Entity or otherwise study its mind must make a Will save with a DC of 44 or suffer the effects of the insanity spell. This is a Charisma-based save.

Aura of Madness (Su): As a free action, the Entity can trigger a 40-foot-radius burst of mental chaos centered on itself. Any creature in the area must succeed on a Will save with a DC of 44. If they fail, they are affected as by the insanity spell. Any creature that successfully saves against this ability cannot be affected by it again for 24 hours. This ability is a mind-affecting compulsion effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Clustered Maw (Ex): The maw of the Entity is composed of countless jaws, and an anatomy that is entirely non-euclidean. Because of its bone and muscle structure, it allows it to make many bites at once. It can make iterative attacks with its bite just as though it were a manufactured weapon.

Death Dealing Journey (Ex): The Entity is capable of moving with strange alacrity, aberrant twists of space that are scarcely comprehensible. The Entity has the use of an additional move action once per round, and unlike a normal move action, it may use any move action as an immediate action. This ability cannot be used to ignore targeted attacks made against it, but can be made to escape area effects or other non-targeted attacks. It may also use this extra move action between iterative attacks to gain a flanking bonus with itself, so long as it move between two different flanking positions and the foe stay within reach.

Epic Madspawn (Ex): The Entity has a mind that is completely alien, completely insane by mortal standards. It is immune to confusion or insanity-like effects, and are not affected by Wisdom damage, drain, or burn, or by penalties to Wisdom. Additionally, it is immune to being detected by any non-epic divination spells save ones that meant to detect him within normal visual range, such as true seeing or see invisibility.

Murder is Meat (Su): The Obsession Entity is a creature nigh capable of being stopped from getting what it desires, and violence is its favorite strategy of attaining it. Unfettered in the face of things such as compassion or fear, it is immune to morale penalties to attack rolls, and cannot be affected by an effect that would prevent it from making physical attacks against anyone unless physically incapable in the first place(such as being grappled or behind a wall).

Regeneration: The Obsession Entity's regeneration can only be overcome by weapons lawful and epic, as well as specific weapons it was at one point obsessed with but has since moved on from it.

Scarlet Rapture Shintai (Su): The unique anatomy and consideration for physics the Entity has allows it to act scarcely with a thought in its head, unleashing a flurry of ripping bites and pummels in the wink of an eye. Once per round, the Entity may make a full attack action as an immediate action. Once this ability has been used, it cannot be used again for 1d6+1 rounds.

Seek Obsession (Su): The obsessions of the Entity are things it must always search for. It always knows in which direction it must move in order to reach what it is currently obsessed with, even across planes. If the object of obsession is on another plane, they are guided in a direction to the closest portal to that plane. Additionally, if it had too few details on what its obsession may look like it recognizes it immediately upon finding it.

Unimpeded Perfection of Exertion (Su): The near weightless nature of the Entity lets it leave little evidence of its passing, even less so than the nearly untrackable nature of open air. It may ignore difficult terrain of all sorts and adds a +32 to the DC for Survival checks made to track it. It also causes it to move with utter silence, and cannot fail a Move Silently check if it doesn't choose to.

Who Strikes the Wind? (Su): The Obsession Entity is something that moves with uncanny and indeed unnatural agility. Through this ignorance of physical law, it may utterly ignore attacks meant for it. It adds a madness bonus to its armor class equal to its base Reflex save modifier. Additionally, a number of times per day equal to its Dex modifier it may reduce the damage done from any source by half. This cannot be used of the Entity is flat-footed.

You Are Mine (Su): The Entity is a creature so overwhelmed with estacy when in the company of its obsessions, but at the same time it is overwhelmed with avarice that it might have to share its splendor with anyone else. The Entity can solve this by consuming those around it and making clones made of solid, otherworldly light. Anyone killed by the Entity or any of the light clones under the Entity's command becomes a light construct themselves(see template below). All of these constructs can be summoned by the Obsession Entity at once as a free action, they are under its perfect control at all times and can be controlled telepathically as a free action. Once these constructs are destroyed they cannot be summoned back for 4d10 hours, and if the Entity decides to consume them they are forever destroyed. The Entity can only control 128 HD worth of light constructs at a time.
Light Construct Template

Creating a Light Construct
"Light construct" is an acquired template that can be added to any creature(referred to hereafter as the base creature).

Size and Type
The creature's type changes to construct. It retains all subtypes. It does not gain the augmented subtype. It uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Hit Dice
Convert all hit dice to d10, and recalculate BAB and saves to that of a construct of their HD. The construct retains all hit dice from class levels, but they are converted to standard construct HD, along with any racial HD the base creature possessed. If the base creature has 20 HD or more, it retains only 20 HD.

Speed
The construct gains a fly speed of 60 ft. with good maneuverability.

Armor Class
The construct gains a +5 deflection bonus to armor class.

Base Attack
As with all construct HD, the light construct has a base attack bonus equal to 3/4th's its HD.

Attacks
The light construct retains all attacks of the base creature and gains a primary natural slam attack. Light constructs can also make attacks with any of the manufactured weapons they possess and use the slam attack as a secondary weapon.
All attacks made by a light construct count as magic for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

Damage
The damage of the construct's slam attack is 1d6(for medium creatures)+Str modifier.

Special Attacks
The construct retains only the Extraordinary attacks of the base creature, but none that required the creature have an Intelligence score or those derived from class levels.

Special Qualities
The construct retains only the Extraordinary qualities of the base creature, but none that required the creature have an Intelligence score or those derived from class levels.. It also gains the following special qualities.

Damage Reduction (Ex): The construct has DR 15/magic.

Saves
Base saves bonuses of all saves are +1/3 HD.

Abilities
The construct's Str and Dex increase by 2, it has no Constitution or Intelligence score, its Wisdom changes to 10 and its Cha is dropped to 1.

Skills
A construct has no skills, but retains racial bonuses to skill checks.

Feats
The construct loses all feats, but retains racial bonus feats(but not bonus feats from class levels or otherwise).

Treasure
The construct retains non-magic versions of all the equipment the base creature had upon death. It is proficient with any weapons, armor and shields it was wielding or wearing when it died.

Alignment
Always true neutral.
Maneuvers: The Entity, in all its infinite possibilities has randomly grown the fighting prowess of a mortal warrior of outstanding skill. It may use maneuvers and stances as though it were a swordsage of 20th level. Unlike a swordsage, it only knows each of the maneuvers of the Far Realm (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3410915&postcount=5%20Maneuvers%20of%20Madness) and Oncoming Storm (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54816) disciplines, and it can only have as many maneuvers readied as equal to its Charisma modifier. Like a swordsage, it may still only have one stance active at a time.

True Seeing (Su): As the spell, and constantly active. Caster level 20th.

Spell-like Abilities: at will - confusion, control water, gust of wind, greater teleport, haste, plane shift, read thoughts, sympathy; 3/day - astral projection, control weather, mass hold monster

----

Rage of the Oncoming Typhoon [Epic]
You strike with inscrutible speed, where even the penalties to your damage are barely there, and you are capable of summoning the very symbol of the discipline. You are a true master of the Oncoming Storm (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54816) discipline.
Prerequisites: Sleight of Hand 24 ranks, Dex 25, Oncoming Storm Expertise, Improved Feint, Sturmundrang, ability to use the sudden death maneuver and the grace of the winds stance.
Benefit: You gain an additional attack per round at you full attack, the attack being in addition to any effect that would grant you bonus attacks, such as a speed weapon or the haste spell. If you make a single attack action in a round, you can instead make two at your full attack bonus. Instead of taking a simple 5-foot step once per round, you may instead make a 15-foot step, though you still cannot make move actions in the round you do. Any time you use an Oncoming Storm maneuver while wielding an Oncoming Storm discipline associated weapon, or using said maneuver in an Oncoming Storm stance, your attacks deal an additional 6d6 points of damage.
You are constantly surrounded by a torrent of violent clouds and wind. Treat this as a fog cloud spell centered on you, and the wind speed within it is considered very windy, but will not disperse the cloud. By concentrating on the cloud, the character can treat the wind speed as hurricane winds. This ability can be suppressed and reactivated as a standard action. This is a supernatural ability.

Signature Move [Epic]
You have eternal mastery over a single martial strike, to the point where it's as easy for you to use as any normal attack.
Prerequisites: Martial Lore 12 ranks, 24 ranks in the discipline associated skill of the chosen maneuver, Adaptive Style, ability to use at least one 9th level strike.
Benefit: Select a single martial boost, counter or strike you know. Whenever you use that martial maneuver, it is not considered expended but you must still have it readied.
Special: This feat can be taken multiple times, each time selecting a new martial maneuver.

Bhu
2010-04-07, 06:25 PM
:smallcool: mass kewl

JoshuaZ
2010-04-07, 06:27 PM
I like this. Some minor issues:

acting as it's aberrant
"its"

The Entity has the use of an additional move action once per round, an unlike a normal move action, it may use any move action as an immediate action.

"and" not "an". Also, this may be a bit of clarification. Do you mean it can use immediate actions as move actions also? Or that if it has an unused move action from a previous turn it can use that as an immediate action without giving up its usual immediate action?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2010-04-07, 06:40 PM
Minor issues fixed. Good god this thing was utterly dotted with inappropriate "it's".

Also, this may be a bit of clarification. Do you mean it can use immediate actions as move actions also? Or that if it has an unused move action from a previous turn it can use that as an immediate action without giving up its usual immediate action?

It can use it's normal move action as a move action, and it can also use it's immediate action as a move action. Basically doubling it's move speed(unless it uses all actions to move, in which case it only tacks on another third), and allowing it to move at strange times.

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-07, 06:59 PM
Nitpick on Grammer:

Its = Possessive form

It's = Abreviation of "It Is"

Other than that, would it be possible to include the Epic feat of your design [Rage of the something or other] in the core text for the class? The feat is sufficiently complext that trying to think how and where it applies is going to waste time and lead to mistakes...

Krimm_Blackleaf
2010-04-07, 07:01 PM
Nitpick on Grammer:

Its = Possessive form

It's = Abreviation of "It Is"

Yes I know, it's just habit. Also fixed.

Other than that, would it be possible to include the Epic feat of your design [Rage of the something or other] in the core text for the class? The feat is sufficiently complext that trying to think how and where it applies is going to waste time and lead to mistakes...

Yes, I linked to it after the initial post and included minor details to it the feat included.

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-07, 07:09 PM
Yes, I linked to it after the initial post and included minor details to it the feat included.

I actually meant including it where it is applicable into the descriptions of any abilities that it applies to and sticking the rest as a feature of the critter. My eyes are tired so i can't actually seperate the not-really-separated paragraphs of the feat's description.

I tend to include really simple descriptions of all of the feats a critter has in brackets next to the names or by including them in the "special actions" bit, given that i like to use the latter-day monster writeups.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2010-04-07, 07:16 PM
I actually meant including it where it is applicable into the descriptions of any abilities that it applies to and sticking the rest as a feature of the critter. My eyes are tired so i can't actually seperate the not-really-separated paragraphs of the feat's description.

I tend to include really simple descriptions of all of the feats a critter has in brackets next to the names or by including them in the "special actions" bit, given that i like to use the latter-day monster writeups.

Ah I see, I could possibly include the homebrewed epic feats in monster entries for quicker reference.

Dornath
2010-04-07, 08:23 PM
I have to say, you've inspired terror in me.
I'd love to use this in a campaign,
Too bad I'm just starting. And all my gamers are newbies. It'll be a while before I throw anything Epic at them.

The Tygre
2010-04-07, 11:55 PM
I love you, Krimm. Seriously. Can I be your fetich? Or maybe akuma (your version; the prestige class with maneuvers and the demons and the BLEACH and the LAAADDY)?

Now what I'm really waiting for, what I'm really sitting on the edge of my seat at, is the Ebon Dragon. Ohhh yeah...

Temotei
2010-04-08, 12:04 AM
Yes! Another incoherent title means another great monster! :smallbiggrin: