PDA

View Full Version : Dash of Armored Calvary

quiet1mi
2010-04-07, 08:07 PM
Hey I was wondering what the community thought about a Fighter that spends 3 Feats to get: Mounted Combat, Ride-by Attack, and Spirited Charge...

For 3 Feats you can get a ridiculous damage output... When you account for the damage being tripled the end result looks like this.

Power Attack for x6.0
Strength Bonus x4.5
Weapon Damage x3.0

A level 6 Human Fighter investing in the following feats gets ridiculous...

Power Attack
Improved Bull Rush
Improved Sunder
Mounted Combat
Ride-by Attack
Spirited Charge
Combat Brute
Shock Trooper

Accounting for 16 strength raised to 18 via gauntlets, and you are looking at 67.5 damage on the charge... who cares if your AC is now zero, your mount just got to move twice...

The Next turn your charge deals 121.5 Damage! This comes from the extra 18 points from combat brute that gets multiplied to 54 extra damage.

Even without those 3 feats, this level 6 fighter can still contribute by bull-rushing opponents into each other, dealing damage with combat brute and shock-trooper with power attack, Sundering opponents weapons or components (Yes, I know you are destroying your potential wealth, but most GMs will give less in treasure if you are looting the dead so you don't get too far ahead of WBL),

By the time your fighter reaches 12, the investment of those 3 feats represent only 23% of your feats while dealing an extra 79 damage (118.5), Combat Brute deals an additional 108 damage after tripled thanks to spirited charge...

BRC
2010-04-07, 08:10 PM
It's a powerful trick, but it only works if you have charging room, the ability to use your mount, the assumption that you are beating your targets AC with this attack (Misses do happen),

Yukitsu
2010-04-07, 08:15 PM
It works up until everything kills your mount. Paladins and druids are better at this trick than straight fighters simply because they have viable mounts up to late levels.

Next of all, it's very easily negated. Charges require perfectly clear avenues of attack which are rather hard to get against an intelligent opponent.

Krade
2010-04-07, 08:15 PM
Pedant PowersTM ACTIVATE!!!

I believe you mean "Cavalry." >.<

That said, I thought something like this was actually a fairly common build.

UglyPanda
2010-04-07, 08:18 PM
It is indeed a common build. Practical versions sometimes involve riding dogs simply because they can be used indoors.

And then there are the centaur versions of the build and such.

I think a build with Lion Totem Barbarian outdoes this, by the way.

FMArthur
2010-04-07, 08:44 PM
Don't forget the Paladin (and Wrath domain) spell Rhino's Rush. It's 1st level and doubles your charge damage. So does a Valorous weapon (a +1 enhancement). If you are Raptorian (Races of the Wild) or took the winged Dragonborn template (Races of the Dragon), you can also make a diving attack from the air, which is a charge but needs a minimum distance travelled and doubles your damage with a piercing weapon. You can do this while mounted if you take the Drakkensteed mount option from Dragon Magic. The Cavalier prestige class (requires BAB +8) offers a 5/day "Deady Charge" option that overrides Spirited Charge, which is the same but has a multiplier one step higher. At tenth level it becomes "Unstoppable Charge" and quintuples damage instead of Spirited Charge. So a Valorous, Unstoppable, Rhino's Rush dive-attack charge with a lance will deal 8 times your damage. Take Shock Trooper and then take 2 levels of Ronin to Shock Trooper while you Shock Trooper (Banzai Charge = Heedless Charge) for -40 to your AC and +a huge number to your damage.

I'm probably forgetting more. Trust me, this idea is as old as the PHB and has had armies of people perfecting it since then.

TheYoungKing
2010-04-07, 08:46 PM
Wait, how can you make your AC negative?

FMArthur
2010-04-07, 08:53 PM
By using abilities that subtract from it. You don't have -40 AC, you just subtract 40 from your AC. That can land you anywhere from -20 to -30 AC depending on your original AC. You may as well take Karmic Strike and Robilar's Gambit, since their combined -8 AC drawback is practically free when you're into negative AC. You may want some other kind of defense. And protection from ranged attacks, whose originators no longer need bother calculating range increments. :smallcool:

TheYoungKing
2010-04-07, 08:54 PM
I don't think you can do that....

(Perfectly fine if I'm proven wrong by RAW, but as a DM, I would immediately rule that you can't benefit from such a thing. You'd have to actually have AC to spare.)

Glimbur
2010-04-07, 08:59 PM
I don't think you can do that....

(Perfectly fine if I'm proven wrong by RAW, but as a DM, I would immediately rule that you can't benefit from such a thing. You'd have to actually have AC to spare.)

pedantic

There's no rule that says you can't.

/pedantic

NEO|Phyte
2010-04-07, 09:09 PM
pedantic

There's no rule that says you can't.

/pedantic

Air Bud clause is a bad way to go, more accurately, there's no rules stating that one's AC has to remain a positive number.

TheYoungKing
2010-04-07, 09:15 PM
But there is also no rule allowing negative AC.

Eldariel
2010-04-07, 09:44 PM
It's the only real way to deal damage in Core after movement on high levels (outside Polymorphing into something with Pounce). In fact, I strive to include the line on every Core Barbarian and Fighter I build, using Leadershipped mount if available and trying to get something Planar Bound or some such if not.

Being able to deal ~300 points on level 20 vs. AC 40 isn't amazing, but it's at least enough that you may have some functionality. And of course, on a bit lower levels the damage output is truly impressive.

Of course you knew that the Übercharger started from the very same idea?

Yukitsu
2010-04-07, 09:53 PM
I prefer class over the FB ubercharger. That's why I use a paladin on a dragon.

Flickerdart
2010-04-07, 10:07 PM
But there is also no rule allowing negative AC.
Attack bonuses can be negative. Save bonuses can be negative. AC isn't sacred in that way - you don't need a rule to allow it dropping below zero. Power Attack and Combat Expertise have explicit caps on not being able to draw more BAB than you have, but Shock Trooper and Banzai Charge do not do the same to AC.

quiet1mi
2010-04-07, 10:20 PM
Who says you cannot combine Uberchargers and Mounted Rider...

I hear a Frenzied Berserker armed with a Lance on a horse is quite a site to behold...

Or Better yet... a Raptoran jumping off his mount into a dive while bullrushing him into the ground...

Someone has to combine all the charge based builds into one, single sentence...

Eldariel
2010-04-07, 10:24 PM

I don't think you understand: that's what the Übercharger is; build stacking all charge multipliers (including mounted bonuses) onto one (or full) attack. Which is why I brought it up.

Yukitsu
2010-04-07, 10:25 PM

I hear a Frenzied Berserker armed with a Lance on a horse is quite a site to behold...

Because his horse would get shot out from under him, as all the best mounted classes are lawful only.

Or he'd win, then decapitate his horse.

That and he autofails all ride checks.

With barb speed boosts, this one is better off on foot anyway.

TheYoungKing
2010-04-07, 11:55 PM
Attack bonuses can be negative. Save bonuses can be negative. AC isn't sacred in that way - you don't need a rule to allow it dropping below zero. Power Attack and Combat Expertise have explicit caps on not being able to draw more BAB than you have, but Shock Trooper and Banzai Charge do not do the same to AC.

I call RAI.

Save bonuses, attack bonuses.... note a keyword there? These are applied to rolls. A negative has an effect, subtracting from the roll.

AC (armor class) is a target number for a roll (much like DC, difficulty class). Reducing it into negatives has NO negative effect on gameplay (unless you are playing a rolling AC variant) Rolling against a negative AC or a negative DC doesn't make any sense, nor does ending up with a ridiculous number like -36 or something.

"Roll me a d20, add your Dex mod. DC is -35."

There are other cases of game stats not being allowed to go into negative numbers (key among them ability scores)

Having NO further negative effect from being lower than 0 means lowering it even further shouldn't have a positive effect.

It may not be RAW, but there is no way WOTC intended for players to use the pointlessness of negative AC to pump themselves.

Claudius Maximus
2010-04-08, 12:05 AM
There are printed examples of negative AC in Stormwrack (e.g. a colossal object has -3 AC; -8 from its size and -5 from its dexterity score of 0).

pingcode20
2010-04-08, 12:13 AM
And bingo. That's what negative AC does.

So easy to hit you that a pixie would have no problem beaning you in the face with a cannon from 2km away. You aren't just easy to hit, your charge has created some kind of weird singularity thing that draws attacks in towards it from the whole battlefield and then some.

Pechvarry
2010-04-08, 12:24 AM
Aye. Negative AC represents the ability to miss something when conditions are against you (the broadside of a barn with sayyy -2 AC hidden behind a smaller barn providing it cover pushes its negative into the positve; an archer shooting at a barn from a thousand feet away takes large enough attack penalties to feasibly miss).

Gorilla2038
2010-04-08, 12:27 AM
If your DM loves you, cleave and great cleave can be used to awesome effect with Mounted chargers. Line of dead beings, by level six. I had a unit of half-giant calvary that did this, twas quite awesome.

TheYoungKing
2010-04-08, 12:28 AM
However, objects basically ignore AC. PHB pg. 165. An object's AC simply doesn't matter when trying to hit it. Doesn't change the fact that a negative AC means absolutely nothing different than a 0 AC.

And the example you quoted specifically said that ships don't use the overall AC, they use the AC of specific sections of the ship. Starting at Huge size (i.e. right at the size category after which they'd start dipping into negative ACs.) So that negative AC is not used in the game anyways.

Are there any examples of a negative AC on something without automatic-hit rules, specific statements that those ACs aren't used, negative DCs (as an analogue) or how about sample characters using negative AC chicanery? If none of those exist, then its not a stretch at all to say that WoTC did not intend for costs to be paid in negative ACs.

(Would you allow players to pay for equipment in negative gold?)

Akal Saris
2010-04-08, 12:37 AM
I prefer class over the FB ubercharger. That's why I use a paladin on a dragon.

You and me both, sir.

Claudius Maximus
2010-04-08, 12:41 AM
You only automatically hit an object with a melee weapon, and then only if you use a full-round action to do it. Pechvarry had the right of it when he and/or she asserted that a negative AC is relevant for attack rolls because it can still be missed with a large enough attack penalty.

I'll also point out that a colossal creature with 1 dexterity has an AC of -3 and does not use sectional rules. It is possible miss such a creature in a situation in which you could hit it if it had AC 0, so there is a difference between AC 0 and a negative AC.

There are negative DCs given for Listen checks right here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/listen.htm), which I would imagine proves negative DCs can exist.

TheYoungKing
2010-04-08, 12:50 AM
Quote me a Monster Manual for a colossal creature with 1 Dexterity and no NA. It doesn't exist.

The "overall AC" for ships from Stormwrack has an exact cut-off on when they'd start to hit negative AC, with a disclaimer stating that they don't use the overall AC after that. RAI, that indicates the negative AC is not a *real* game possibility (why else would they indicate that in the size category right before negative AC?) and was likely included because WoTC is lazy with their stat block functions.

RAW example of negative AC actually being used in a WoTC stat block, without a disclaimer that you don't use that AC. Bonus points if you find an example of a printed use of negative AC for paying a cost.

EDIT: And with Listen, there is an actual mechanical benefit to -10 DC. You can make out the voices if you exceed the DC by 10 or more. Specific trumps general. Rather odd in that it is the only example and that all others use mods, not decreased DCs.

hamishspence
2010-04-08, 04:55 AM
a Wu Jen (Complete Arcane) can reach Colossal size with a spell in that book- does the spell grant Natural Armour?

If not, a Colossal Wu Jen with a Dexterity of 3 (or worse, if hit by a Dex-draining attack) might have an AC that "ought" to be negative.

AslanCross
2010-04-08, 04:59 AM
Stormwrack shows objects (ships) with negative AC. Eberron's Explorer's Handbook has similar stats, showing negative AC on the vessels there.

Red Hand of Doom assumes a city wall has -6 AC.

Ossian
2010-04-08, 05:09 AM
Just contributing damage pennies here, but a dip in ranger would perhaps grant favored power attack which (multiplied) can add some extra punishment. Quite shocked by what builds can do. I must check the splatbooks tonight to see how the math comes up :)!!!

O.

Eldariel
2010-04-08, 06:55 AM
However, objects basically ignore AC. PHB pg. 165. An object's AC simply doesn't matter when trying to hit it. Doesn't change the fact that a negative AC means absolutely nothing different than a 0 AC.

Sir, it's possible to end up with negative To Hit too (say, if you've been Str-drained and Enervated a few times, and Power Attack for full for good measure); are you honestly saying it doesn't matter whether you can hit or not?

Because that's what it sounds like: You're basically saying "Ok, your AC is so low lowering it any more doesn't usually matter so you can't lower it." All I can ask is: "What?" That's no logic. The game does not make distinctions based on what is "reasonably hittable" or some other ridiculously contrived factor. Negative AC exists; if your AC is negative, it means you've basically decided to not bother dodging opponents' blows at all.

In other words, unless opponent is heavily magically hampered, he will hit you. I don't see what's so amazing about that; AC, saves, to hit, all the numeric values acting against each other in combat range from -∞ to ∞ and are compared to each other and the higher wins, even if both are negative.

AbyssKnight
2010-04-08, 08:15 AM
A Fighter 20 wearing no armor/magic items and Dex 10 still has a 10 AC.

Since there is no limit on the penalty you can assign to AC from Combat Brute (well, BAB since it is just moving the PA penalty from attack to AC), you can assign a -20 penalty for a resulting AC of -10.

YoungKing, your houserule would result in the very strange situation that this Fighter would have to strap on armor in order to get better at hitting something. It just doesn't make sense.

pingcode20
2010-04-08, 08:17 AM
Alternately, shooting at you from the edge of their firing range. With a cannon. (-24 to the attack roll)

It's far from inconceivable that someone could be firing with such a bad level of accuracy that they are actually capable of missing the proverbial far side of a barn wall. Really doesn't need to be magic hampering, just a really long shot.

Person_Man
2010-04-08, 09:57 AM
I wouldn't bother with Combat Brute. Improved Sunder is a lousy pre-req, and the damage bonus isn't that meaningful. You're much better off just getting Pounce somehow. Here's a list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358). Ashworm Dragoon, Halfling Outrider, and Wild Plains Outrider are all easily accessible mounted pounce options.

Be sure to play a Small race, and ride a Medium mount. That way you can use your combo everywhere. In particular, you can get a mount with Burrow or flight or Climb via the Leadership feat, Paladin special ability, or a variety of PrC.

If you do go Fighter, be sure to trade your Tower Shield proficiency for a Riding Shield (Races of Stone), which grants your Shield AC bonus to your mount. When you can afford it, make it Animated.

There's also Riding Boots: Unnamed bonus to Ride, and if you have Spirited Charge you further multiply your damage when you Charge. DMGII pg 270. And the Valorous weapon enhancement: Double damage on a charge. Unapproachable East pg 54.