PDA

View Full Version : For shame, Scrabble...

lord of kobolds
2010-04-07, 08:29 PM
Angry rant time.

Scrabble has made me angry. I shouldn't be getting angry at Scrabble, because I'm a Scrabble addict, but I simply cannot accept what they are doing. Apparently, not enough young people play Scrabble, so they are releasing a new edition where PROPER NOUNS will be accepted. This totally destroys the purpose of the game. ANYTHING could be a proper noun. I could decide to name my imaginary friend Qkzkxj. Boom, it's a proper noun. What is the point of Scrabble if you can make up words?

I'm going to go be angry with the school librarian about this.

tyckspoon
2010-04-07, 08:31 PM
Kwijybo!

/obligatory
//I apologize for the nature of this post.
///Also the FARK slashies.

Mauve Shirt
2010-04-07, 08:32 PM
WHAT? :smallmad: What a load of BS! That COMPLETELY defeats the point of Scrabble!

Lupy
2010-04-07, 08:34 PM
THIS IS BOGUS! This ruins the whole game!! :smallfurious:

Raiki
2010-04-07, 08:36 PM
*Walks into thread with suspiciously lumpy sack*
*Begins handing out pitchforks*

And now we storm Hasbro headquarters. Because we totally didn't have enough reason already, right?

~R~

arguskos
2010-04-07, 08:37 PM
WAITWAITWAIT

PROPER NOUNS IN SCRABBLE?!?! :smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious:

I am furious about this, FURIOUS I SAY!!

Istari
Actually I think it's the other company that owns scrabble outside the US Matella, so USA scrabble is safe. YAY! (Sorry to any non-USers who like scrabble)

Shas aia Toriia
This actually manage to make front page news where I live, with the rest of the story on page 2. :smallsigh:

No need to get so worked up, its only scrabble.
You can keep playing the old way if you want, though you guys seem to be forgetting that the new rules also allow you to spell words backwards as well.

Krade
2010-04-07, 08:38 PM
Edit: Need to put in the quote 'cause I got ninja'd somethin' fierce.

*Walks into thread with suspiciously lumpy sack*
*Begins handing out pitchforks*

And now we storm Hasbro headquarters. Because we totally didn't have enough reason already, right?

~R~
Don't forget torches. I'll get the torches.

I was never very good at scrabble. Last time I played I did very... poorly. However, I don't see the point in making a version that allows proper nouns.

Solution: Make kids read more.

Raiki
2010-04-07, 08:39 PM
Actually I think it's the other company that owns scrabble outside the US Matella, so USA scrabble is safe. YAY! (Sorry to any non-USers who like scrabble)

...but. We can still storm Hasbro, right? :smallfrown:

I mean, they've already destroyed one of our favorite hobbies, do we really need another reason to march?

~R~

Edit: I support the above solution. More Tolkien, less mtv (or whatever other nonsense the children of this generation rot their brains with).

Orzel
2010-04-07, 08:41 PM
First person to play Kwijybo gets a roundhouse.

lord of kobolds
2010-04-07, 08:44 PM

Mattel has confirmed, and Hasbro has made no announcement, which means they probably will.

Fiery Diamond
2010-04-07, 08:47 PM
"It's a type of worm."

Kudos to those who get the reference.

The Duke
2010-04-07, 08:49 PM
While I can't say I think that is even remotely intelligent like seriously including proper nouns seriously what does that do for you?

However I'm infinitely grateful that they aren't including chat speak if they allow acronyms or their ilk into scrabble there will be a great deal of pain.

MikelaC1
2010-04-07, 08:50 PM
Not only those changes, but you can now start a word anywhere you want, and not be hooked into the rest of the tiles. That totally misses the point of the challenge, and everyone will just start their first words on the triple letter or triple word score, instead of having to work for it.

Thanatos 51-50
2010-04-07, 08:53 PM
"It's a type of worm."

Kudos to those who get the reference.

Calvin and Hobbes.

sofawall
2010-04-07, 08:53 PM
Please tell me this is a late April Fools joke.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-04-07, 08:55 PM
Correction: It's not a new edition of scrabble, it is in fact being sold as 'Scrabble Trickster', and only in UK. So, no real need to freak out, mmk?

Anyways, I always thought the scrabble dictionary was completely bogus anyways. If you have to look up a word to know if it's a word or not, you can't play it.

Krade
2010-04-07, 08:58 PM
So, basically, this new game shouldn't be called Scrabble at all. Perhaps something a little more fitting... Aha! We shall, from this day forth, call this not-Scrabble game only "Lazy Kid's Game."

I for one can say with great swelling pride that this... sham of a game will never be purchased or played by myself or anyone I have contol over (unfortunately, this is not everyone, or anyone).

Edit: Curses! Ninja'd by real information! I'll get you one day. Just as soon as I figure out how to spell your name!

Tequila Sunrise
2010-04-07, 09:02 PM
No need to get so worked up, its only scrabble.
Amen!

You Scrabble fanatics do realize that just about any letter combination is a word somewhere, right? In the last game I played, at least two of us used 'xi' - the 14th letter of the greek alphabet according to a very old and very thick Random House dictionary. I can only imagine how many more words a modern unabridged dictionary has.

In any case, I'm sure that the new Scrabble won't allow your pet's name -- in reality you'll probably be limited to names you can look up in an encyclopedia or an atlas. So whatever, deal with it.

Worira
2010-04-07, 09:07 PM
Correction: It's not a new edition of scrabble, it is in fact being sold as 'Scrabble Trickster', and only in UK. So, no real need to freak out, mmk?

Anyways, I always thought the scrabble dictionary was completely bogus anyways. If you have to look up a word to know if it's a word or not, you can't play it.

It's to convince your opponent that it's a word. I know perfectly well that syzygy is a word, but my opponent might not believe me.

Krade
2010-04-07, 09:13 PM
It's to convince your opponent that it's a word. I know perfectly well that syzygy is a word, but my opponent might not believe me.

Yeah, you don't get to look at the dictionary unless someone challenges that what you put down isn't a word. I usually use a regular dictionary for this since the scrabble dictionary is less encompassing (if more precise, as it doesn't have words that can't be spelled due to letter tile restrictions).

Also: Never throw the letter 'q' into a privet bush.

Edit: @\/ That was scary fast.

arguskos
2010-04-07, 09:13 PM
Also: Never throw the letter 'q' into a privet bush.
Amen to that brother, amen.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-04-07, 09:15 PM
Edit: Curses! Ninja'd by real information! I'll get you one day. Just as soon as I figure out how to spell your name!

Hey, once you remember how to spell the name, you can use it while playing Scrabble :smallamused:

Krade
2010-04-07, 09:16 PM
Hey, once you remember how to spell the name, you can use it while playing Scrabble :smallamused:

Sweeeeet!:smallcool:

Tirian
2010-04-07, 10:04 PM
You Scrabble fanatics do realize that just about any letter combination is a word somewhere, right? In the last game I played, at least two of us used 'xi' - the 14th letter of the greek alphabet according to a very old and very thick Random House dictionary. I can only imagine how many more words a modern unabridged dictionary has.

You don't have to imagine it, it is very easy to find wordlists on the internet. There are a little over a hunderd two-letter words approved for Scrabble use. It's not any harder to memorize them (along with words that don't contain ordinary vowels or words that contain a Q that aren't followed by U) than to memorize chess openings or poker strategies, and the first step in taking the game seriously.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-04-07, 11:17 PM
You know, you can always choose not to allow proper nouns in a game you play. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Kallisti
2010-04-07, 11:59 PM
I finally have an excuse to use my Crusader tabard. Off! Off to slay these heretics in the name of Godcommon sense!

Joran
2010-04-08, 12:16 AM
From the AP story:
Scrabble purists can relax. News of a new version of the classic word game that Mattel plans to sell in the U.K. allowing proper nouns set off waves of dismay across the Internet.

But the official rules fans know and love aren't changing.

Scrabble Trickster, due out in July in the U.K. only, not the U.S., will allow proper names such as city or celebrity names.

Other twists include playing words backwards or playing words unconnected to others on the board, Mattel said.

The game is a limited edition and will not replace the original Scrabble in the U.K. or U.S.

That said, if they're going to allow proper nouns, they should add 20 more Q's so this can happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo0ncg-2zPY

Mordokai
2010-04-08, 12:18 AM
You know, you can always choose not to allow proper nouns in a game you play. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

That does sound like a rather reasonable house rule and not really that hard to enforce. Really, I fail to see the problem.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-08, 04:55 AM
That does sound like a rather reasonable house rule and not really that hard to enforce. Really, I fail to see the problem.

But think of the next generation of players, who'll think this is an acceptable course of action. Once all of us are dead and can't correct them anymore, it'll become the norm.

AND THEN THE WORD WILL END!!!

Mordokai
2010-04-08, 05:02 AM
This may surprise you, but I'm of firm belief that a world can't possibly get any more screwed up than it already is :smallbiggrin: And if the next generation has a few misconceptions about the Scrabble, well... that doesn't really bother me.

But this is probably going into discussions that are not allowed by forum rules, so I'll stop right here and now.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-08, 05:07 AM
This may surprise you, but I'm of firm belief that a world can't possibly get any more screwed up than it already is :smallbiggrin: And if the next generation has a few misconceptions about the Scrabble, well... that doesn't really bother me.

But this is probably going into discussions that are not allowed by forum rules, so I'll stop right here and now.

We're not allowed to discuss the messed up nature of modern Monopoly? :smallamused:

rakkoon
2010-04-08, 05:30 AM
Not in public and not while wearing clothes no.

Malacode
2010-04-08, 05:46 AM
I cried all day when I got the news. Okay, a I sobbed a bit for a few seconds. In the privacy of my own head. But I agree, this is a travesty.

Weimann
2010-04-08, 05:52 AM
1) I agree that this is a loathsome turn of events.

2) I aslo agree that it's easy to just houserule it. For a forum of roleplayers that shoudn't be so hard to imagine.

3) I dunno, but it sounds to me like this is a variant of Scarbble where the DM said "You know what? Everyone gets free caster levels. Rock out."

Dallas-Dakota
2010-04-08, 06:58 AM
1) Scarbble
Yes .

Mauve Shirt
2010-04-08, 07:09 AM
It's the next generation of Scrabble players thinking this is an acceptable rule that's the problem. They'll think us unfair when we houserule it!
And yes, this is a problem for some of us. :smalltongue: I'm fairly certain no amount of "Chill out, Scrabble fanatics" will lessen the, well, at least my rage that such a thing even came into existence.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2010-04-08, 07:15 AM
I reacted the same way when I found out they added poison to Clue.

To reiterate, though, its only a version of Scrabble called Scrabble Trickster and its only being released in the UK as far as I know, so its not a widespread destruction of Scrabble, and maybe all we need to do is isolate the UK from the rest of the world, so they can't get us with their creepy Scrabble.

Player_Zero
2010-04-08, 11:01 AM
We should start a playgrounder scrabble-playing society.

Mostly so I have more people to play.

Blue Ghost
2010-04-08, 04:27 PM
This change will not apply in tournaments, right?
(Not that I go to tournaments)

Danne
2010-04-08, 06:16 PM
I reacted the same way when I found out they added poison to Clue.

They added poison to Clue?!?! Forget Scrabble, that is a crime against nature.

Though I think the Scrabble thing is horrible, too. Easy enough to houserule, yes, but just the principle of it. "Kids don't like to read, and therefore we shall encourage their illiteracy by dumbing down our game." Shame on them.

Trazoi
2010-04-08, 06:29 PM
They added poison to Clue?!?! Forget Scrabble, that is a crime against nature.
The original Cluedo prototype (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluedo#History) had both poison and a shillelagh. :smallwink:

The version I play replaces the rope with a piece of paper with "rope" written on it.

Player_Zero
2010-04-08, 06:30 PM
The original Cluedo prototype (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluedo#History) had both poison and a shillelagh. :smallwink:

The version I play replaces the rope with a piece of paper with "rope" written on it.

I know who done it! It were Reverend Green!

Danne
2010-04-08, 06:34 PM
I know who done it! It were Reverend Green!

Nuh-uh, it was the butler. Everyone knows that. :smallwink:

Trazoi
2010-04-08, 06:41 PM
It's always Reverend Green. In the conservatory, which I assume is the room people add to their houses explicitly for the purpose of murder.

Weimann
2010-04-08, 06:42 PM
Yes .

It's a known fact I make at least one spelling error in each post. Sometimes I spot them and edit, some times I don't.

Murphy's Law determined which word it would be this time.

Player_Zero
2010-04-08, 06:43 PM
It's always Reverend Green. In the conservatory, which I assume is the room people add to their houses explicitly for the purpose of murder.

It IS always that green bugger, isn't it? The probability of it being him seems to be completely skewed.

Kallisti
2010-04-08, 06:44 PM
Conservatory (n). 1. a school giving instruction in one or more of the fine or dramatic arts; specifically, a school of music. 2. a greenhouse, usually attached to a dwelling, for growing and displaying plants. 3. holy ****, run! He's right behind you!

Danne
2010-04-08, 06:45 PM
Conservatory (n). 1. a school giving instruction in one or more of the fine or dramatic arts; specifically, a school of music. 2. a greenhouse, usually attached to a dwelling, for growing and displaying plants. 3. holy ****, run! He's right behind you!

You win the internet. :smallbiggrin:

Knaight
2010-04-08, 06:56 PM
Though I think the Scrabble thing is horrible, too. Easy enough to houserule, yes, but just the principle of it. "Kids don't like to read, and therefore we shall encourage their illiteracy by dumbing down our game." Shame on them.

Alternately it is trying to promote awareness of world politics. Assuming that proper nouns only allows notable historical figures, you are fine. Letting terms like Rasputin or Charlemagne in is reasonable, and anyone who manages Charlemagne deserves it. Really, it comes down to phrasing. If scrabble were to state that "onomatopoeia may be used" it would be well received; in the event of a statement to the effect of "sound effects may be used", it probably wouldn't be.

After all, the Kids don't like to read stereotype is worthless. Sure, in some contexts they may not be reading much as a group, but look at adults. The decline of reading, if it exists (statistics tend to ignore non-print reading, so technically one could claim I haven't read anything but 100 pages or so yesterday, even if I read a several hundred page .pdf) is societal, not generational.

Kallisti
2010-04-08, 06:57 PM
You win the internet. :smallbiggrin:

Huzzah!

I think I'll keep it in a jam jar in the dusty cupboard under my stairs.

valadil
2010-04-08, 06:57 PM
So now Scrabble has edition wars too?

Danne
2010-04-08, 07:04 PM
Alternately it is trying to promote awareness of world politics. Assuming that proper nouns only allows notable historical figures, you are fine. Letting terms like Rasputin or Charlemagne in is reasonable, and anyone who manages Charlemagne deserves it. Really, it comes down to phrasing. If scrabble were to state that "onomatopoeia may be used" it would be well received; in the event of a statement to the effect of "sound effects may be used", it probably wouldn't be.

After all, the Kids don't like to read stereotype is worthless. Sure, in some contexts they may not be reading much as a group, but look at adults. The decline of reading, if it exists (statistics tend to ignore non-print reading, so technically one could claim I haven't read anything but 100 pages or so yesterday, even if I read a several hundred page .pdf) is societal, not generational.

I've never understood why I couldn't use words like "Charlemagne," so if that's all it's amending, that's fine. My impression is that the new rules are for all proper nouns, though, not just historical/political ones.

Re: reading, I can't speak for other cultures/societies, obviously, but having gone to school with (and subsequently volunteered and worked with) inner city kids, in my experience the "kids don't like to read anymore" is more true than I would like to believe. We're talking fourteen-year-olds who read on a third grade level. They're not exactly spending their time online downloading intelligent .pdfs.

Tirian
2010-04-08, 07:47 PM
It IS always that green bugger, isn't it? The probability of it being him seems to be completely skewed.

I always thought so too (and I've been playing so long that it's *MR.* Green to me, and I'm somewhat amused now because my first church was pastored by a Reverend Green), but then I met a woman in college who gave up on Clue because in her experience it was always Colonel Mustard.

Mauve Shirt
2010-04-08, 07:49 PM
Article on the topic (http://www.wbaltv.com/money/23076981/detail.html)

Hee. I like my father's reaction: "That's a 'version' of Scrabble like basketball is a 'version' of Parcheesi."

Uncle Festy
2010-04-08, 07:56 PM
We're not allowed to discuss the messed up nature of modern Monopoly? :smallamused:

Can I Quote of the Week Whenever I Feel Like Updating It both of these? :smallbiggrin:

Thursday
2010-04-08, 08:25 PM
Does American Scrabble have any less U's in it though?..

Oh I am amusing. Hur hur. Hur..

Trazoi
2010-04-08, 08:53 PM
I always thought so too (and I've been playing so long that it's *MR.* Green to me, and I'm somewhat amused now because my first church was pastored by a Reverend Green), but then I met a woman in college who gave up on Clue because in her experience it was always Colonel Mustard.
AFAIK it's always been Reverend Green in Cluedo, the UK (and Aussie) version of Clue. I've got the Aussie version from the 70s that's seen a couple of generations of players; still intact save for no more blank suspect sheets and the aforementioned missing rope.

Is the unlucky victim still Mr. Boddy instead of Dr. Black? And when and why did they change Colonel Mustard?!

Tirian
2010-04-08, 09:35 PM
AFAIK it's always been Reverend Green in Cluedo, the UK (and Aussie) version of Clue. I've got the Aussie version from the 70s that's seen a couple of generations of players; still intact save for no more blank suspect sheets and the aforementioned missing rope.

Is the unlucky victim still Mr. Boddy instead of Dr. Black? And when and why did they change Colonel Mustard?!

The American version "ordained" Mr. Green in 2002 (and you'd see, for instance, that he is a businessman in the movie and not a vicar). Apparently game sellers were uncertain that a religious official could be fairly considered a murder suspect in a family game. And, yes, so far as I know the victim is still Mr. Boddy in the US and not Dr. Black.

And what I meant (and presumed Trazoi and Player_Zero to mean) is that for some completely unknown and baffling reason, we perceived that Mr. Green turned out to be the murderer far more than one-sixth of the time when the game was played in my childhood, and in my friend's experience the murderer was disproportionately Colonel Mustard.

Trazoi
2010-04-08, 10:05 PM
Ah yes, I must have misread your post. I couldn't believe they'd change Colonel Mustard.

I usually play as Rev. Green, and it's annoying to always be having to say "I accuse myself, in the conservatory, with the lead pipe, because I can't remember where or what I actually used" for the umpteenth time.

TheThan
2010-04-08, 11:06 PM
wow surprised nobody has linked the obligatory web comic.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0031.html

there.

Capt Spanner
2010-04-09, 12:15 AM
It won't actually affect proper Scrabble, where you can only play one proper noun anyway.

Playing "O-Chul" scores 50,000 points, and wins outright.

308HTR
2010-04-10, 12:07 AM
It won't actually affect proper Scrabble, where you can only play one proper noun anyway.

Playing "O-Chul" scores 50,000 points, and wins outright.

What edition has this rule? Links or it didn't happen.

Anyway, you guys are going to love this new edition of sudoku (http://i44.tinypic.com/2cqogg5.png), it use all the numbers, not just 1-9!

golentan
2010-04-10, 12:55 AM
Jozxyqk.

It's a cat word.

Dogmantra
2010-04-10, 07:41 AM
Anyway, you guys are going to love this new edition of sudoku (http://i44.tinypic.com/2cqogg5.png), it use all the numbers, not just 1-9!

Is it wrong that I saw pi at the bottom and immediately thought "the next digit's an 8! That should be rounded up to a 6 at the end!" ?

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-10, 07:43 AM
Is it wrong that I saw pi at the bottom and immediately thought "the next digit's an 8! That should be rounded up to a 6 at the end!" ?

Not wrong per se, just a little frightening (maths people scare me even more than science people).

The Glyphstone
2010-04-10, 08:07 AM
So now Scrabble has edition wars too?

Edition wars, AND we've managed to invoke a variant of the Oberoni Fallacy.

Hey, you know who's also a proper noun? HITLER!:smallcool:

Capt Spanner
2010-04-10, 08:10 AM
What edition has this rule? Links or it didn't happen.

Read the white text :smallwink:

Danne
2010-04-10, 12:54 PM

Nah, I thought the same thing.

Fawkes
2010-04-10, 12:59 PM
So, uh, am I the only one who doesn't think this is a big deal?

Dogmantra
2010-04-10, 01:08 PM

Please marry me.

Danne
2010-04-10, 01:48 PM
Please marry me.

But darling, we only just met. :smalltongue:

kpenguin
2010-04-10, 02:01 PM
So, uh, am I the only one who doesn't think this is a big deal?

Yes, yes you are.

SCRABBLE IS SERIOUS BUSINESS.

golentan
2010-04-10, 04:31 PM
Yes, yes you are.

SCRABBLE IS SERIOUS BUSINESS.

I only play speed scrabble anyway, so I don't really care. There's no way we'd let someone pass off a ridiculous word in my group, and we're pretty flexible anyway since our ruleset isn't officially supported...

Fawkes
2010-04-10, 11:07 PM
Here's an idea: if you're playing Scrabble, and you don't want to allow proper nouns, then... don't allow proper nouns.

PROBLEM SOLVED

Trobby
2010-04-11, 12:16 AM
Come to think of it, what actual manufacturing change do they have to make in order to create this "New" Scrabble?

Not print the part where it says "no pronouns", and therefore save on a little ink?

...Yeah...this reeks of a marketing gimmick. And even if you hate the idea, it works, because now people are actively thinking about Scrabble, and thinking "hmm...do I have a copy? I should get one." or "How dare they do this! I'm going to buy it and play it my own way just to SPITE them!"

Hey, it's a cheap trick, but it works. <.<;

Mad Wizard
2010-04-11, 01:43 AM
This might have been posted earlier (I didn't read the whole thing), but apparently this isn't a new edition of the rules, but a separate game entirely. From what I can tell, only in this new game (called Scrabble Trickster) will proper nouns be allowed, and only sometimes. A couple other sites I found said that the game would include cards that would allow you to do this, along with other things like playing diagonally or stealing tiles.

Source (http://news.bostonherald.com/news/international/europe/view/20100408fans_in_a_proper_panic_over_scrabble_uk_ve rsion/srvc=home&position=recent)

Worira
2010-04-11, 02:09 AM
Mentioned on SNL.

308HTR
2010-04-11, 12:06 PM

That wasn't a mistake on my part... I was uh testing you guys to see if you were competent in math... yeah, that's what it was.