PDA

View Full Version : [Exalted] Trying To Combine Malfeas With Chaos in Warhammer 40K

Leliel
2010-04-07, 08:51 PM
Well, I'm trying to create a "science fantasy" version of Exalted, with the old premise that it's our universe merged with the Exalted one, but that it remains the starry void we all know and love (why this is will be explained once I get around to making the setting-but for now, I'll just say that we're basically what happened after the gods hit the "reset and start again" button on the Creation Control Panel). After that, Earth managed to survive long enough to merge magic and science, creating the highly-advanced Lore evolution of Technomancy (not to be confused with the Technocratic Union-the field comes from the implicit acceptance that science and magic can coexist) which allows us to traverse the galaxy in search of new life/places to escape to when the Deathlords/Fae/demons/evil Exalts show up.

However, one of the fundamental rules of the setting is that Yu-Shan and Malfeas may not even exist anymore, let alone reachable. However, storywise, saying that a pretty significant BBEG just died in a previous iteration of the universe is lame, so while Malfeas the Demon City is gone, Malfeas the Yozi-and all his siblings-are quite alive, thank you very much. They just evolved.

To put it simply, they now exist as god-minds in control of a living force of corruption that exists within the version of hyperspace I use (it's called Ultraspace, by the way-a sort of psuedo-reality that coexists and battles with the Wyld). Called the Qliphoth by scholars, it is hatred and fear embodied, an eternally ravenous engine of greed and war, feeding on the darkest emotions of humans to fuel it's only aim-to turn the universe into Hell.

Or, more laconically-the Forces of Chaos from Warhammer 40K, if they valued sanity and weren't as soul-crushingly evil.

Of course, while I have a good image of what the Qliphoth is and how it grows, I don't know how to best show it taking over a region of space beyond "Demons appear beyond this point". Sure, I could look to the cancer of Warhammer, but I want to emphasize the fact that it feeds on human evil rather than itself-to the point that if you managed to cure the social problems it's drawn to, it withers and dies due to lack of food. Which isn't to say it's easy, as a Yozi isn't particularly thrilled with the idea of you usurping his domain by making everyone think happy thoughts, but "blowing everything up" isn't automatically the option of first resort.

So, any ideas on how to do this?

Come to think of it, the Chaos Four have quite a bit in common with the Reclamation Architects...