PDA

View Full Version : 3.5: Filling a Sorcerer-20 with [Force] spells?

Jack_Simth
2010-04-07, 09:02 PM
There aren't too many [Force] spells in the Player's Handbook:
Cantrips: None.
1st: Mage Armor, Shield, Floating Disk, and Magic Missile
2nd: None (although the Cleric has Spiritual Weapon)
3rd: Explosive Runes, Sepia Snake Sigil, and Tiny Hut
4th: Resilient Sphere
5th: Interposing Hand and Wall of Force
6th: Forceful hand
7th: Forcecage, Mage's Sword, and Grasping Hand
8th: Telekenetic Sphere and Clenched Fist
9th: Crushing Hand.

The problem, though, is that a Sorcerer-20's spells known looks like: nine cantrips, five 1st level spells, five 2nd level spells, four 3rd level spells, four 4th level spells, four 5th level spells, three 6th level spells, three 7th level spells, three 8th level spells, and three 9th level spells.

If non-core sources are permitted, are there enough [Force] spells to fill a Sorcerer's repertoire completely? What are they? Even if it can't be a complete fill, how close can we get?

UglyPanda
2010-04-07, 09:05 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/spells

Filter for the word "force", then click class/level.

This list only includes SpC and PHB, but it's a start.

Starscream
2010-04-07, 09:06 PM
Manyjaws is a fun one.

Jack_Simth
2010-04-07, 09:10 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/spells&tablefilter=force

This list only includes SpC and PHB, but it's a start.

So we add...
persistent blade (1st)
blast of force (2nd)
battering ram (2nd)
ethereal chamber (2nd)
force ladder (2nd)
slapping hand (2nd)
chain missile (3rd)
mage armor, greater (3rd)
mage armor, mass (3rd)
manyjaws (3rd)
vortex of teeth (4th)
floating disk, greater (4th)
force chest (4th)
force claw (4th)
force missiles (4th)
forceward (4th)
forcewave (4th)
Orb of Force (4th)
sword of deception (4th)
thunderlance (4th)
wingbind (4th)
shard storm (5th)
death throes (5th)
howling chain (6th)

ericgrau
2010-04-07, 09:11 PM
If you add reasonably thematic spells like telekinesis you can get a few more.

Optimystik
2010-04-07, 09:22 PM
And then go into Force Missile Mage and Argent Savant :smalltongue:

Followed by ghost-hunting.

AmberVael
2010-04-07, 09:35 PM
http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/FindSpell.php

Just search for all spells with the Force descriptor.

Personally, I recommend Wings of Flurry (Races of the Dragon, page 119). Amazing spell. Wings of Cover is on the same page, and is also really awesome.

BenTheJester
2010-04-07, 09:39 PM
The "Wings of X" spells are [Force] effect, sorcerer-only(wizard no touchy) and quite good(Wings of Cover and Wings of Flurry are amongst the best arcane spells)

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-08, 06:04 AM
If you're putting in telekinesis, maybe stick Fly in there and say it's telekinetically powered?

Optimystik
2010-04-08, 06:55 AM
If you're putting in telekinesis, maybe stick Fly in there and say it's telekinetically powered?

I'd say Greater Floating Disk (SpC) is a better thematic fit for a forcemage that wants to defy gravity.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-08, 06:57 AM
I'd say Greater Floating Disk (SpC) is a better thematic fit for a forcemage that wants to defy gravity.

Forgot about that. Which considering I was in a game with a Warmage that used it to rain down death etc. I feel bad now.

Good thought.

Lysander
2010-04-08, 08:26 AM
Add Maze. It banishes the subject to a labyrinth of force planes.

appending_doom
2010-04-08, 08:50 AM
Specializing in force has a significant weakness -- forceward. If you're planning to specialize, take the Argent Savant PrC for Unbind Force (a Su ability) or Greater Dispel Magic.

Lysander
2010-04-08, 10:24 AM
You could also refluff invisibility, blur, and similar optic spells as telekinetically bending light around yourself.

Jack_Simth
2010-04-08, 09:17 PM
Don't worry too much about effectiveness or specific counters - this is for an LBEG (a BBEG's lieutenant, essentially, and probably won't be 20th), and Forceward is simply not available to the party (they're all Gestalt Psions, and actual Arcane casters are banned for PC's for story reasons). Thanks for the links. Any way to get that sorter to spit out the source book on the same line?

AmberVael
2010-04-08, 09:24 PM
Any way to get that sorter to spit out the source book on the same line?

Not as far as I know... I suppose you could search a number of times and refine each one by a specific book, but that might be more trouble than it is worth.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-08, 10:55 PM
Also keep in mind that one can use Metamagic to fill in spell levels with poor choices... Still/Silent/Empowered/Maximized are all good. If you pick up Rapid Metamagic feat, you can then pick up Quicken as well.