PDA

View Full Version : Questions about monster of legend template.

Mystic Muse
2010-04-08, 01:17 AM
Okay, I'm looking at the Monster of legend template. On the haste ability it says "The creature is supernaturally quick. It can take an extra partial action each turn as if affected by the haste spell"

Does this give the full effects of the haste spell or just the partial actions part? I'd assume the latter but I figured I should ask.

And the second question is probably self evident but, if the base creature is the cold subtype and I want to give it the fire subtype through Monster of legend is that possible or did I just waste an ability on the creature?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-04-08, 01:49 AM
First of all, it's referring to 3.0 Haste, which basically granted an extra standard action every round. The action economy in 3.0 was completely backward, as any party of 5th+ level had Haste up every fight. To counter this, monsters were given extra-action abilities, just look at the Spell Weaver's Spell Weaving ability, or the Immoth's Ice Runes ability. The Chronotyryn from Fiend Folio is another good example of this. In 3.0 Haste was so important that they even made sure nonspellcasters had access to it in the epic levels, particularly NPCs and monsters, such as the epic feat Blinding Speed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#blindingSpeed) and the Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/paragonCreature.htm) template granting it as a spell-like ability. In order to stay competitive in 3.0, a Monster of Legend would have to also get an extra standard action every round, but since this is 3.5 you should probably disregard that ability and just choose a different one.

A creature can have more than one subtype, even if they're opposite elements.

Runestar
2010-04-08, 02:28 AM
And the second question is probably self evident but, if the base creature is the cold subtype and I want to give it the fire subtype through Monster of legend is that possible or did I just waste an ability on the creature?

Should be possible, so you have a creature immune to both fire and cold.

Does this give the full effects of the haste spell or just the partial actions part? I'd assume the latter but I figured I should ask.

In 3.5, it simply gives the benefits of the 3.5 haste spell. It should be mentioned in the MM2 update booklet somewhere.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-04-08, 02:49 AM
In 3.5, it simply gives the benefits of the 3.5 haste spell. It should be mentioned in the MM2 update booklet somewhere.

That's right, though it is easy to miss. From the Update Booklet (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a):

Monster of Legend: Outsider; 10 ft./10 ft.; 10/magic; Intimidate +3, Listen
+8, Search +3, Spot +8; Great Fortitude, Improved InitiativeB, MultiattackB,
Power Attack, Track; LA Base creature +7; Change to cold and fire subtypes,
haste spell. Type changes to outsider (native); monsters of legend can be
raised, reincarnated, or resurrected normally.