PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Direction...

Rasman
2010-04-08, 01:25 AM
Recently our campaign has been at a sort of...hmm...crossroads. The real campaign doesn't start until about level 13, but we're all around level 8 or 9 and the DM doesn't really have any "direction" to push us in other than finding ways to prepare for what we know is going to be the major starting battle against an Ogre with some relic of power and his goblin army.

Our adventure last left us fleeing from a Vampire Lord's castle in order to free our ranger from the curse of Vampirism, Nymph Vampire's are wrong btw and shall be dubbed Nymphires...but after this, other than going in and trying to stake him again, we haven't even seen him by the way, we don't really have anything productive to accomplish. Somewhat we've been building an army to help us in the up coming battle, we've gained the alliegance of a Skaldic King and a hungry War Troll and mentally challenged Mountain Troll named Bubba, but other than that we don't have anything better to do.

All our fights seem to end up with us fighting the undead or giants, both of which I've come to loathe since they crush the idea of my class features. So what I'm looking for is an idea of a plot hook of some kind to sort of feed our DM that not only moves the story along, not to mention granting oodles of xp, but also gives us a better variance for our encounters.

Totally Guy
2010-04-08, 03:59 AM
I'd think about 3 beliefs that your character has that involve some level of action.

B1 "I'll discover the fate of my father by travelling to the Naralik ruins"
B2 "I'll fight the evil Jared for his crimes against non-humanoids"
B3 "I'll marry lady Guinevere but first I need an audience."

Then share this list with the GM so he can prepare to challenge them. Write about things you want as a player. Encourage others to do the same and keep sharing the information.

This is far more desiarable than a railroad because you are carrying around narrative power. And that's a completely different kind of power but it's up to you to learn how to use it.

Emmerask
2010-04-08, 04:39 AM
Recently our campaign has been at a sort of...hmm...crossroads. The real campaign doesn't start until about level 13, but we're all around level 8 or 9 and the DM doesn't really have any "direction" to push us in other than finding ways to prepare for what we know is going to be the major starting battle against an Ogre with some relic of power and his goblin army.

Our adventure last left us fleeing from a Vampire Lord's castle in order to free our ranger from the curse of Vampirism, Nymph Vampire's are wrong btw and shall be dubbed Nymphires...but after this, other than going in and trying to stake him again, we haven't even seen him by the way, we don't really have anything productive to accomplish. Somewhat we've been building an army to help us in the up coming battle, we've gained the alliegance of a Skaldic King and a hungry War Troll and mentally challenged Mountain Troll named Bubba, but other than that we don't have anything better to do.

All our fights seem to end up with us fighting the undead or giants, both of which I've come to loathe since they crush the idea of my class features. So what I'm looking for is an idea of a plot hook of some kind to sort of feed our DM that not only moves the story along, not to mention granting oodles of xp, but also gives us a better variance for our encounters.

Could you give us some background on your character?
And maybe a bit about the campaign world in a few sentences?

KillianHawkeye
2010-04-08, 07:02 AM
All our fights seem to end up with us fighting the undead or giants, both of which I've come to loathe since they crush the idea of my class features.

Well at least you're not facing undead giants. :smallwink::smallbiggrin:

Rasman
2010-04-08, 08:30 PM
Well at least you're not facing undead giants. :smallwink::smallbiggrin:

don't joke...we might...

Could you give us some background on your character?
And maybe a bit about the campaign world in a few sentences?

I'm playing a monk of the temple of 7 mysteries who has been sent on a quest to retrieve an "ingredient" for a ritual of some kind, although he's not actually been told what that ingredient is, just that he'll know it when he sees it. Gotta love cryptic old monk bastards... My character is Osirion, so basically he's like an Egyptian. He was taken in at a young age after a traveling monk found him after a caravan he was traveling in with his parents was attacked and destroyed by Gnolls. His mother is dead while his father couldn't be found, either killed or taken as slave labor. Needless to say, he hates Gnolls.

The Campaign world is in the Pathfinder Universe, currently we're in the Land of the Lornorn Kings, so in the upper section of the world.