PDA

View Full Version : Living Wall of Force - what does it do? [3.5]

magic9mushroom
2010-04-08, 03:59 AM
Suppose you apply the Living Spell template to Wall of Force. What do its slam attack and engulf do?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-04-08, 04:24 AM
A creature is affected as though it were within the area or effect of the Wall of Force spell. If a Wall of Force is obstructed by any creature or object, the spell fails and the wall never forms. Therefore, there would be no spell effect on a Living Wall of Force's slam or engulf attacks.

A Living Wall of Force would be CR 9 at the minimum caster level. Maybe instead make a Living Chain Missile (SC) at caster level 13 for the same CR. That would hit its target for six missiles, each of which deal 1d4+1 damage, and then each missile would jump to a secondary target within 30 feet for another 1d4+1 damage. It would have slightly lower ability scores and AC, but it would be a lot more viable and still be made from a force effect.

magic9mushroom
2010-04-08, 04:26 AM
A creature is affected as though it were within the area or effect of the Wall of Force spell. If a Wall of Force is obstructed by any creature or object, the spell fails and the wall never forms. Therefore, there would be no spell effect on a Living Wall of Force's slam or engulf attacks.

A Living Wall of Force would be CR 9 at the minimum caster level. Maybe instead make a Living Chain Missile (SC) at caster level 13 for the same CR. That would hit its target for six missiles, each of which deal 1d4+1 damage, and then each missile would jump to a secondary target within 30 feet for another 1d4+1 damage. It would have slightly lower ability scores and AC, but it would be a lot more viable and still be made from a force effect.

No, no, I was just thinking about it as a thought experiment.

What about a Living Forcecage?

Also, does that mean a Living Prismatic Wall wouldn't do anything?

EDIT: Wait a minute, it doesn't say "as if it were within the area or effect", it says:

Spell Effect (Su): A creature hit by a living spell’s slam
attack is subjected to the normal effect of the spell or spells
making up the creature.

What's the "normal effect" of a Wall of Force?

Mastikator
2010-04-08, 04:51 AM
Oh oh! It could be like a gelatinous cube, except invisible and instead of eating you, it just pushes you away.

ka_bna
2010-04-08, 05:07 AM
Oh oh! It could be like a gelatinous cube, except invisible and instead of eating you, it just pushes you away.
If you could program them, they would do great in a D&D robotic plant...

Optimystik
2010-04-08, 05:30 AM
Suppose you apply the Living Spell template to Wall of Force. What do its slam attack and engulf do?

Nothing, other than damage.

Emmerask
2010-04-08, 05:36 AM

Yep would rule the same though its not raw but it would be cool ^^

Living wall of force slamming and pulling each opponent in its path with it dealing initial 1d6 /2 squares treaveled (max 10d6) and additional damage if someone is slammed into an object ^^

Trying to destroy every object in its path (attack against hardness) and stops if the damage wasn´t enough to destroy the object throwing each enemy additional squares in the direction it passed.

Would also be a cool wizard evocation spell ^^ might ask my dm if my wiz can develop such a thing :smallbiggrin:

Emmerasks cleaning force wall :smallbiggrin:

pffh
2010-04-08, 05:36 AM
It would be like a cartoon wall that moves when the party moves always blocking their path and when they finally get past it it will follow them poking it's "head" around corners and quickly hiding when they look back.
Then they discover that it's following them, confront it and finally befriend it. They then have wacky adventures together and prove that no matter what you look like or what you are you can all be friends.

Or you know an annoying wall of force that gets disintigrated.

Yuki Akuma
2010-04-08, 06:18 AM
It would be like a cartoon wall that moves when the party moves always blocking their path and when they finally get past it it will follow them poking it's "head" around corners and quickly hiding when they look back.
Then they discover that it's following them, confront it and finally befriend it. They then have wacky adventures together and prove that no matter what you look like or what you are you can all be friends.

Or you know an annoying wall of force that gets disintigrated.

Living spells aren't literally living versions of spells. They're more... spells twisted into the form of oozes. So it'd be more of an invisible, indestructible ooze.

Wings of Peace
2010-04-08, 06:26 AM
Silly man. Everyone knows that walls can't attack. :smallcool:

Merk
2010-04-08, 06:39 AM

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/809/evilwall.gif (http://img512.imageshack.us/i/evilwall.gif/)

Beelzebub1111
2010-04-08, 06:42 AM
Living Wail of the Banshee, that is all.

Optimystik
2010-04-08, 06:47 AM
Living spells aren't literally living versions of spells. They're more... spells twisted into the form of oozes. So it'd be more of an invisible, indestructible ooze.

Or rather, a generic ooze with a spell (or spells) slapped onto its basic slam/engulf chassis.

Your description of it is spot-on though.

Living Wail of the Banshee, that is all.

Living Disjunction :smallfrown:

Indon
2010-04-08, 06:55 AM

"Hey there's a wall here!"

Which is what happens if a living Wall of Force bludgeons you, so that makes sense.

Eldariel
2010-04-08, 07:04 AM

I prepared Explosive Runes this morning. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=1576)

El Dorado
2010-04-08, 07:05 AM
The wall marvels at the 5 foot diameter hole I just punched through it using a ruby ray of reversal. It slowly moves away when I threaten to slice off even bigger pieces with my disintegrate spell. :smallwink:

Leon
2010-04-08, 07:18 AM
Mobile invisible mass that blocks line of effect

shadow_archmagi
2010-04-08, 08:12 AM
I'd say every time it attacks, it creates a wall between it and the player.

magic9mushroom
2010-04-08, 08:57 AM
Living Disjunction :smallfrown:

Living Antimagic Field :smalleek:.

Wait, hang on a second, how do emanations work? Are you permanently AMFed or only for a round?

Alternatively, Living Blasphemy.

AbyssKnight
2010-04-08, 09:09 AM
I would say it just allows the Living WoF to slam/engulf incorporeal creatures.

Living Teleportation Circle (no save, and it becomes Su so no SR).

strider24seven
2010-04-08, 09:18 AM
Interestingly enough, a Living Wall of Force is an ooze with no trouble hitting incorporeals. At least, I think it makes sense that way, as its attacks should be FORCE effects.

magic9mushroom
2010-04-08, 09:23 AM
Incidentally, why is the example Living Cloudkill listed as CR 7? Last time I checked, Cloudkill's a 5th level spell, and 5 + 1/2(10) = 10.

Telonius
2010-04-08, 10:13 AM
Then there's the ever-popular Living Detect Magic. According to legend, the first one was created by a mad philosopher.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-08, 10:16 AM
Or living Reincarnate , created by an chaotic ascetic.

Roderick_BR
2010-04-08, 10:20 AM
No, no, I was just thinking about it as a thought experiment.

What about a Living Forcecage?

Also, does that mean a Living Prismatic Wall wouldn't do anything?

EDIT: Wait a minute, it doesn't say "as if it were within the area or effect", it says:

I'd say just pure force damage, like a magic missile. It'll just be nearly undestructible.

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-08, 10:29 AM

Only if they have Defender. I can name two Walls that lack it.

pffh
2010-04-08, 11:36 AM

Eh I like my version more.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-04-08, 11:42 AM
Only if they have Defender. I can name two Walls that lack it.really? Must be new...

Optimystik
2010-04-08, 01:46 PM
really? Must be new...

Been that way for a while now actually (Since... Ravnica? Kamigawa?)