PDA

View Full Version : Flying creatures and races of the dragon

Otodetu
2010-04-08, 11:00 AM
In races of the dragon there are multiple feats that allow you to fly when wearing medium or heavy armour, or while being medium or heavily encumbered. These feats also states that flying creatures CANNOT fly in medium or heavy armour.

A flying creature can BY DEFAULT fly when wearing medium or heavy armour.

Fly
A creature with a fly speed can move through the air at the indicated speed if carrying no more than a light load. (Note that medium armor does not necessarily constitute a medium load.)

And there are multiple creatures statted up in medium and heavy armour merrily flying around in various books, like the half fiend and half celestial example characters.

Does this mean that races of the dragon is full of fail?

Starbuck_II
2010-04-08, 11:04 AM
In races of the dragon there are multiple feats that allow you to fly when wearing medium or heavy armour, or while being medium or heavily encumbered. These feats also states that flying creatures CANNOT fly in medium or heavy armour.

A flying creature can BY DEFAULT fly when wearing medium or heavy armour.

Fly
A creature with a fly speed can move through the air at the indicated speed if carrying no more than a light load. (Note that medium armor does not necessarily constitute a medium load.)

And there are multiple creatures statted up in medium and heavy armour merrily flying around in various books, like the half fiend and half celestial example characters.

Does this mean that races of the dragon is full of fail?

Yes, by default, the feats are weaker.
The Fly speed works in meduim/heay armor as well.

But at heavier armors your speed is reduced.

1) Reinforced Wings/Heavyweight Wings lets a feat based flyer (Flight gained from feats) fly in Med/heavy armor (and load) (they specifically say you can't otherwise).
They had to be specific because you normally can.

The Normal line refers to the earlier feats: Dragon wings, Dragonborn flight, etc.

Dragonborn can't fly in more than Light load without Reinforced wings.

Otodetu
2010-04-08, 11:10 AM
What i mean to say is than the feats are wrong, not weak.

And i was wondering if i was missing some new ruling about flying that i have missed or if it was just that much of a typo\failure on wotc's part.

strider24seven
2010-04-08, 11:12 AM
It basically differentiates between races that grant fly speed and feats that grant a flying ability, IIRC.

Otodetu
2010-04-08, 12:39 PM
It basically differentiates between races that grant fly speed and feats that grant a flying ability, IIRC.

Just checked, and that does not seem to be the case, the feats in the book that grant flight never mention any restriction on the type of armour you can fly with, only that you cannot fly with medium or heavy encumbrance...

It is only stated in the reinforced wings feat that ALL flying creatures are unable to fly in medium or heavy armour without this feat.

So, fail at wotc much? (not sure why i am so hung up in this... :P)

Tenebris
2011-02-25, 07:20 AM
I've recently made some research on flying in heavy armor and incidentally found this topic. Just couldn't refrain myself from bringing it back to life (just to say that Otodetu is absolutely right).

Nothing actually prevents a dragonborn (or a character with Improved Dragon Wings feat) from flying in medium or heavy armor. Thus you are actually right saying that those feats are some sort of misunderstanding, but it is not a major failure (all of us have seen worse). It seems that you just have to omit all references to armor restrictions in those feats. For all load issues they work fine (but with enough strength you probably won't care).

Zeb The Troll
2011-02-26, 12:29 AM
Troll Patrol: *checks expiration date* Yep, this one's gotta go. Closed.