PDA

View Full Version : [4e] C-c-c-Combo Maker! (Defender/Leader/Controller)

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-04-08, 11:52 AM
Just some thoughts on a mechanic for a class I'm debating. The goal is to make a character who really promotes teamwork by giving his allies better chances to attack, all the while keeping the pressure off their backs.

It attacks through Constitution at the moment (may change to Strength), relying on toughness and durability to throw its foes around.

Brutal Slam
You grab your foe, lifting him by the collar and slamming him into the ground at your feet.
At-Will * Martial, Unarmed
Standard Action | Melee 1
Attack Constitution vs. Fortitude
Hit Constitution modifier damage, and you slide the target to any square adjacent to you. The target falls prone in that square.
Combo If an ally damages the target before the start of your next turn, the target takes 2 additional damage. Increase the additional damage to 4 at 11th level, and 6 at 21st level.
Special You may use this power in place of an Opportunity Attack.

Staggering Strike
You lash out at the surrounding foes, throwing them momentarily off balance.
At-Will * Martial, Unarmed
Standard Action | Close burst 1
Attack Constitution vs. Reflex
Hit Constitution modifier damage, and the target may not shift until the start of your next turn.
Combo If an ally damages the target with a melee or close attack before the start of your next turn, the target falls prone.

Iron Grip
You grab your foe, holding them fast while your ally prepares to deliver a lethal blow.
Encounter * Martial, Unarmed
Standard Action | Melee 1
Attack Constitution vs. Fortitude
Hit Constitution modifier damage, and the target takes a -2 penalty to all defenses and is immobilized until the start of your next turn.
Combo The first time an ally damages the target with an encounter power or a daily power before the start of your next turn, the target is dazed until the start of that ally's next turn.

Thoughts on the mechanic? And yes...the at-wills are powerful, but I noticed that the PHB3 Monk basically out does the fighter at battlefield control AND potential defense, so I wanted a class that dealt little damage, but really could protect his allies and set them up for epic actions.

Jack of Spades
2010-04-08, 12:20 PM
Combo If an ally damages the target before the start of your next turn, the target takes 2 additional damage.
Special Increase the additional damage dealt by the Combo to 4 at 11th level, and 6 at 21st level.
This seems rather underpowered-- 2 damage is mildly helpful at 1st level, but 6 is next to nothing at 21st level (though I might be visualizing numbers wrong, I don't have my sourcebooks at hand).

Other than that, I don't see any big problems. Be sure to look at the Warlord, seems like that's very nearly what you're going for.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-04-08, 12:33 PM
This seems rather underpowered-- 2 damage is mildly helpful at 1st level, but 6 is next to nothing at 21st level (though I might be visualizing numbers wrong, I don't have my sourcebooks at hand).

Other than that, I don't see any big problems. Be sure to look at the Warlord, seems like that's very nearly what you're going for.

Huh. That was the one I was most worried about, as the power itself slides a foe and knocks them prone. I debated making it usable on an Opportunity Attack...would that bring it up to par?

Jack of Spades
2010-04-08, 12:59 PM
Well, I was merely referring to the extra damage itself. Overall, I'd say it has about the same utility as the average at-will. Those things appear to generally be rather powerful. Making the opponent use a move action standing up their next turn isn't too bad.

DiscipleofBob
2010-04-08, 11:02 PM
Well, it's hard to judge the effectiveness of these powers without at least seeing the class features of your homebrewed class, but let's see what I can tell from them...

The powers have REALLY good effects, somewhat balanced by low damage output, but Staggering Strike I think still crosses the line in terms of power. It has Close Burst 1, targets Reflex and 2 REALLY good effects is a bit much for an at-will. I'd recommend making it a Melee 1 range or removing one of the effects for balance. Brutal Slam looks fine to me and on-par with other at-wills.

About your comment on the Monk vs. Fighter, the Monk can close in on the Fighter in the battlefield control and defense categories because those aren't the Fighter's focuses. The Fighter is all about punishing adjacent enemies with marks and just a dash of Striker-esque damage.

Reynard
2010-04-09, 12:23 AM
Dude, you stole my thread title. Not cool, man, not cool.

Also, (close burst 1 + prone if damaged) seems a bit much. Maybe a small penalty to Reflex defense instead of the risk of prone?