PDA

View Full Version : Post Errata Orb Wizard [4e]

HMS Invincible
2010-04-08, 02:15 PM
After reading and thinking over the orb wizard, I've come to the conclusion that whoever you designate as your target will autofail the first saving throw. But what is the max save penalty afterwards for everyone else you target? -2?

Mushroom Ninja
2010-04-08, 02:30 PM
After reading and thinking over the orb wizard, I've come to the conclusion that whoever you designate as your target will autofail the first saving throw. But what is the max save penalty afterwards for everyone else you target? -2?

That seems to be what the orbizard in my party is doing, but there might be something he's missing.

Kurald Galain
2010-04-08, 03:29 PM
Well, first off, whomever fails his first save should be considered dead, because your teammates will coup-de-grace him to little pieces.

Second, Earthroot or Cunning Staff (-2), Phrenic Crown (-1) and Spider Familiar (another -1) apply to every target, not just the one orb'ed.

Third, you can apply some tricks like Fate Spurned Foe (-2), Winter Sovereign (-2 more) and Orb of Impenetrable Escape (force a reroll).

And finally, some people consider the "first failed save" condition of Sleep and Face of Death to be a new effect and apply all penalties again to the first save against that, but personally I'd consider that cheese.

Anyway, yeah, stunlocking is still very much a viable strategy, just not as ridiculous as it used to be.

cupkeyk
2010-04-08, 06:16 PM
(I have never in my wildest dreams thought I would be in a scenario that I would correct kurald)
winter sovereign adds a whopping -5 to penalties at level 21. Before you hit level 24, you can use a frozen whetstone to add the keyword to your dailies. It does require you to have the fey origin though, which boosts the power of gnomes and eladrin and makes wilden not a horrible option.

A lot of people neglect spell focus for a universal -2. There's that tattoo from av2, evil eye? something... three prestige classes give penalties: hammer of vengence (first save only, cleric mc), Phiarlan phantasmist(-2 to fear, illusion, psychic and charm, useless feat prereq, setting specific), and entrancing mystoc (within three squares of you, -5 for charm, -2 for everything else).

I prefer phiarlan phantasmist because choosing an eladrin allows me to be a dragonmarked heir(for rp) and can easily qualify for winter sovereign. At level 21 its easy to get a -9 to all saves.

HMS Invincible
2010-04-08, 09:09 PM
Hmmm, this makes me regret picking human as my race for wizard. Also, those are all epic or multiclass features which burns feats that I can't spare. What about paragon or heroic, what can we do there?

cupkeyk
2010-04-08, 09:30 PM
you can post your build? but spell focus is the only one freely available for everyone.

Kurald Galain
2010-04-09, 02:42 AM
(I have never in my wildest dreams thought I would be in a scenario that I would correct kurald)
Thank you :smallsmile:

winter sovereign adds a whopping -5 to penalties at level 21.
'fraid not. It was errata'ed to -2. And yes, you need a whetstone, or frost staff, or Arcane Admixture.

A lot of people neglect spell focus for a universal -2.
I was kind of assuming this was why the OP already had a -2 to everyone.

There's that tattoo from av2, evil eye?
Curse Eye Tattoo. Good point, I forgot about that. The paragon paths you mention are also useful, except that the primary stunlock spell (Sleep) isn't a fear, illusion, psychic or charm spell.