PDA

View Full Version : Need help with another Gestalt character

senrath
2010-04-08, 03:17 PM
Hello! I'm trying to come up with a character for a game called "Assault on the Nine Hells". It's set in a homebrew world, and the characters are all set to go kill things in the Nine Hells.

Anyway, I'm having a hard time figuring out what character to make, other than Warlock//Something.

Here's what I have to work with:

13th level
No more than 2 base classes + 1 prestige class, or 3 base classes
WBL for 14th level (not a typo)
40 Point Buy
Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfing, Gnome, Half-Elf, Half-Orc only. No other races allowed (and I'm assuming templates are similarly out)
Any alignment
PHB, PHB2, Complete (Adventurer, Warrior, Arcane, Divine, Mage) only. No exceptions.

So, anyone have any suggestions? I also have no clue what to purchase.

reptilecobra13
2010-04-08, 04:30 PM
Fighter/Barbarian with a two-handed weapon and the weapon focus tree. Wear mithral breastplate and make sure that your weapon can overcome the DR of anything that you come across. Maybe prestige into frenzied berserker for a couple of levels to pick up supreme cleave.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-04-08, 04:49 PM
You could go something like Warlock 13//Ranger 5/Enlightened Spirit 8, and since Enlightened Spirit's Eldritch Blast progression is expressed as a bonus to damage and not further progress to your effective Warlock level they would stack. Plus it adds specific invocations in addition to what you'd get from Warlock. Gnome, Halfling, or Human would be the best races to use, I'd probably go with a small-size race.

For your favored enemy take Outsider (Evil) and it should apply to just about everything you encounter, and the bonus damage can be used with EB. For your second favored enemy I'd probably pick either construct or undead, since you'd be more likely to encounter those than anything else down there. You won't get much benefit from an animal companion at that level, but the Distracting Attack ACF from PH2 only applies to weapon attacks, so it would probably be even less useful but at least it wouldn't be a liability. Your combat style will be equally useless, but I'd probably get TWF and pick up Double Wand Wielder just for fun. Remember that you can use wands of any ranger spells that your wisdom score is high enough to cast.

Definitely take point blank shot and precise shot, and also get Ability Focus: Eldritch Blast for +2 DC to any Eldritch Essence you use. Item creation feats like Scribe Scroll and Craft Wondrous Item would also be useful since you'll have Imbue Item. Take note of what the rest of the party is making so you won't have redundant item creation feats, since multiple characters can cooperate to create a single item as long as their combined abilities and feats meet all of its prerequisites. You'll need Craft Wand for Double Wand Wielder, so be sure to let everyone know they won't need to spend a feat on that one. Flyby Attack is a must-have, you should qualify via your Celestial Flight invocation.

For your items, you'll have 150,000 gp to spend. A Warlock's Scepter and a Greater Chasuble of Fell Power from CA would be good. I'd get +1 Mithral Breastplate and a +1 Mithral Buckler too, along with a Cloak of Cha and a Vest of Resistance (CA). A Robe of Useful Items, Necklace of Adaptation, and Hat of Disguise are cheap and sure to prove useful. Be sure to get a Ring of Freedom of Movement, you'll regret it if you don't. Otherwise get some wands of useful spells which you can use UMD or Ranger spellcasting to activate.

senrath
2010-04-08, 05:15 PM
You've been a great help, Biffoniacus. Thanks.

Also, any idea what stats I should have? I'm currently thinking Str 10, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 18. That's without the increases at level 4, 8 and 12.

Eldariel
2010-04-08, 05:15 PM
I'd definitely take the Binder-dip (bind Naberius to regenerate Con-damage from HF Warlock) on the second side with Hellfire Warlock (how appropriate) on the primary side as it's a Warlock with extra damage. I'd also consider e.g. Rogue or some other class with bonus precision damage (Scout? Swift Hunter?) on the secondary side if you just want lots of damage. Though if you want e.g. Binder, that'd work fine too.

senrath
2010-04-08, 05:16 PM
I can't take Binder, as I don't have access to Tome of Magic.

Tavar
2010-04-08, 05:16 PM
Uses books that aren't allowed(Tome of Magic, Feindish Codexes), plus more than the allowed number of classes.

Eldariel
2010-04-08, 05:24 PM
I can't take Binder, as I don't have access to Tome of Magic.

No online sources (both exist as web previews)? That's a bummer. Well, I guess "no exceptions" is clear enough. And sorry, missed CScoundrel wasn't on the Complete-list; that's where Swift Hunter is from.

Extra classes tho: Those are only considerations for different paths to take. I'm not trying to tell how to build the whole character, but rather food for thought on the different options that exist.

EDIT: Wait, Binder isn't a web preview. Sorry. I somehow always think it is one, but that's specifically the one book with no base class preview.

JaronK
2010-04-08, 05:28 PM
What about something as simple as Warlock//Wizard? Through in a PrC on the Wizard side, but mostly you just want to focus on buffs, utility, and crowd control as a Wizard while using Warlock for defenses and blasting.

If you want to do a lower power thing, Warlock//Rogue can be quite fun.

JaronK

playswithfire
2010-04-08, 05:40 PM
Some general thoughts:
Duskblade 13//Wizard X/Arcane Prc 13-X. Arcane Channeling(full attack) with 7th level spells
Druid 5/Master of Many Forms 8//Barbarian 13. excellent wildshape options and melee power OR
Barbarian 5/Master of Many Forms 8//Druid 13 if you want to emphasize spellcasting and have melee as a backup
Dragon Shaman 13//Bard X/Bard or Arcane PrC 13-X, party buffer and all around good guy

Amphetryon
2010-04-08, 07:06 PM
Elf Duskblade 13/Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 7//Wu Jen 20.

Giant Size defensively sound caster who can lay some serious smack down.

Starts as Duskblade 13//Wu Jen 13.