PDA

View Full Version : Characters with SO's?

druid91
2010-04-08, 03:29 PM
Unspecific question for political correctness: So how do you have a character have a wife/husband without either A) taking up to much time talking to yourself. or B) just making it an obscure bit of knowledge on your character sheet.

Specific detailsOne of the main problems I am having is that the character is adventuring around his home, which probably isn't going to be destroyed anytime soon.
If it was a campaign that would take him to faraway lands I might worry less, but as it is she is most likely going to end up becoming a higher level alternate character,
though by the time she is eligible for questing my character will probably have caught up. that and I can't think up a name or much of anything else without it sounding like a cheesy romance novel.:smallfrown:

sdream
2010-04-08, 04:08 PM
Not every couple spends all their time together, or even very much of it.

Besides the example of Varsuvious (who is probably not going to win any spouse of the year awards) - in real life I know of several couples who have been forced apart for extended periods of time:

Truck Drivers
College Professors (at universities in different states)

In your case, in the same town, why don;t you specify that your spouse is highly independant and likes doing their own thing. Every night and between each adventure you are likely with your spouse, but they aren't fond of your loutish friends from work tracking mud into their house, so your interactions with your spouse need seldom if ever be observed during the game.

Telonius
2010-04-08, 04:11 PM
Another option: the other character is also an adventurer, working on different projects. (This is a great possibility for an evil DM to get a plot hook).

Frosty
2010-04-08, 04:12 PM
If your wife is a semi-important NPC at all, have your DM rp her.

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-08, 04:22 PM

NOTE: needs a really good DM, and mature players all around, or this can be awkward and creepy.

druid91
2010-04-08, 04:23 PM
Not every couple spends all their time together, or even very much of it.

Besides the example of Varsuvious (who is probably not going to win any spouse of the year awards) - in real life I know of several couples who have been forced apart for extended periods of time:

Truck Drivers
College Professors (at universities in different states)

In your case, in the same town, why don;t you specify that your spouse is highly independant and likes doing their own thing. Every night and between each adventure you are likely with your spouse, but they aren't fond of your loutish friends from work tracking mud into their house, so your interactions with your spouse need seldom if ever be observed during the game.

that first bit would probably fall under the heading of obscure bit of knowledge on your character sheet.
The disliking my loutish freinds could end up interesting as both of them are going to be abberation/ far realms themed, but not evil, which is why they are a married couple who live near a farming town and not members of the local evil alliance or still in the underdark.

Another option: the other character is also an adventurer, working on different projects. (This is a great possibility for an evil DM to get a plot hook).

well I have to make her high enough level for the feats she needs and the idea I had was that they met during his time in the underdark with his angry adopted uncle the mindflayer(no my character is not an abberation of any sort, he is a human conjurer going for the alienist prestige class).

{anger deleted} She would be relatively unimportant unless someone was dumb enough to attack them both or just her, as she is an npc her levels can be up to sixth so she will actually be stronger then my character, one reason why I don't want her taking up too much time. Besides there is a precedent of other characters role-playing fathers and mothers but I figured the relationship would be a bit different.

Pechvarry
2010-04-08, 06:20 PM
I had an epic level character who was very devoted to his wife (who had zero on-screen time). Int-based character, ergo faerie mysteries initiate (or whatever that feat is) that requires you to have passionate jubilation with your partner every night. Well, if that isn't a faerunian way of saying "let's make some half-elves", I don't know what is. So anyway, when your wife knows powerful magic, long distance relationships can be exceedingly easy.

Glass Mouse
2010-04-08, 06:32 PM
I really like the idea of the Adventurer Spouse.

Perhaps you're questing because you need to do something important to you, and your spouse loves you enough to wait for you while you complete it.
Or s/he just accepts that you're an adventurer (like some accept truck driving).

But what do you want?
A spouse who has an in-game importance? Ask your GM to rp her (or do so yourself, it shouldn't be that different from roleplaying a mother or cousin - just don't make her clingy or reliable on your character. She needs to do most of her interacting with the others)
A spouse who has no in-game importance? Make up whatever you want, and don't forget it.

Actually, I don't think it will ever become "an obscure bit of knowledge on your character sheet" if you just remember it. If the character is married, this will probably have an effect on their personality (like all good bg should), and as long as the motivations make sense within this personality, all should be well.

druid91
2010-04-08, 09:02 PM
I really like the idea of the Adventurer Spouse.

Perhaps you're questing because you need to do something important to you, and your spouse loves you enough to wait for you while you complete it.
Or s/he just accepts that you're an adventurer (like some accept truck driving).

But what do you want?
A spouse who has an in-game importance?
A spouse who has no in-game importance?

Actually, I don't think it will ever become "an obscure bit of knowledge on your character sheet" if you just remember it. If the character is married, this will probably have an effect on their personality (like all good bg should), and as long as the motivations make sense within this personality, all should be well.

The thing is seeing as my character is an adventurer, she would be the primary bread winner, Basically she would run a shop of some sort while he ran adventures, her small and steady income vs his large but sporadic income. As I said before she would probably take on a role like a second, noncombatant character who happens to live with and be married to the first more combative one, hence the asking for advice on not talking to myself too much.
So basically she would have in game importance But I am wondering How I can do this without getting to weird. so far the only thing I can think of is have her whole income go towards food and other necessities while my firsts (hereafter referred to as Ed) income would be used for adventurer stuff like equipment, magic and so on. though I think it would be amusing to RP a time when they happen to be together because I imagine that they would do such things as talk to each other in under-common and finish each others sentences.:smallbiggrin:

Jack_Simth
2010-04-08, 09:13 PM
If the name is the problem, that's a relatively simple matter; use a Name Generator (http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/). Alternately, use a sappy name - if anyone asks, it's a "pet" name, or a nickname that was given by the locals after seeing the two of you in public.

druid91
2010-04-08, 09:23 PM
If the name is the problem, that's a relatively simple matter; use a Name Generator (http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/). Alternately, use a sappy name - if anyone asks, it's a "pet" name, or a nickname that was given by the locals after seeing the two of you in public.

Are you a mind reader? I mentioned nowhere in that post that I lack a name for the wife, yet you sensed this somehow.
If your talking about Ed nope thats the name of this character, Ed, for some reason I almost always name my arcane casters something like Ed, Bob, or Larry. I give proper fantasy names to my divine casters though, and everything else gets a mixed approach.

Angelmaker
2010-04-09, 08:56 AM
Are you a mind reader? I mentioned nowhere in that post that I lack a name for the wife, yet you sensed this somehow.

that and I can't think up a name or much of anything else without it sounding like a cheesy romance novel.

:smallconfused:...:smallbiggrin: Must be a psychic.

Tiki Snakes
2010-04-09, 09:04 AM
I think, on five minutes of consideration, that I favour the 'Mrs Columbo' route.

You have a Wife(etc), she's important, and people know about her because she is a constant source of anecdotes and remembered advice.

Never needs to actually appear on-screen. If possible, The character should spend downtime with the SO, off camera.

JeminiZero
2010-04-09, 09:16 AM
Might I sugest an altenate approach? Perhaps the significant other is not that close.

Perhaps you were forced together in some arranged marriage that you must maintain for name's sake or some such. You both disdain it and hence have a mutual agreement to keep up appearances and nothing more. That would explain why you know little of each other, and stops you from needing to come up with a romantic backstory, and explains why your other half is off screen most of the time.

druid91
2010-04-09, 09:45 AM
All of these sound good thanks.:smallsmile: not all exactly fit but the problem is solved.

So anyone else with a problem with this feel free to take over this thread.

Also: The person who made my favorite guide to world conquest posted here!:smallbiggrin: