PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for online RPG software

Ecks Dee
2010-04-08, 07:22 PM
So, a bit of a quandary, folks. I'm trying to run an online campaign with some friends (Dark Heresy/Ascension, not that it matters overly), and would like some advice on how best to do it.

Play by post is quite slow, so, instead, we're going to be using some form of real time software.

I know that there's a lot out there - Maptools, Fantasy Grounds, etc., but there are problems with them - I'm currently on a mac, so some (surmountable) compatibility errors, but, worse, my university internet firewall is very, very restrictive - not even IRC gets through, and fiddling with ports to let it through is frowned upon by IT. In other words, lest I resort to AIM or some other horror, I need to use some sort of browser based client, that can handle dice rolls (including d100), different colours, etc. Any ideas? I've been reading up on Mibbit, but is that the best option?

Thanks in advance!

Kaulesh
2010-04-08, 08:40 PM
Since you considered IRC, how about a java client that runs in your browser? I'm not sure if that gets around the forwarding issue or not, but there's nothing to lose by trying.

Hunter Noventa
2010-04-08, 11:14 PM
Well your university sucks, let me say that.

But have you tried gametable? it's a java-based chat and mapping tool, I don't know how it would intereact with your firewall though, but if other java apps function online, so should this one.

Gralamin
2010-04-09, 01:00 AM
Well your university sucks, let me say that.

But have you tried gametable? it's a java-based chat and mapping tool, I don't know how it would intereact with your firewall though, but if other java apps function online, so should this one.

Apparently Maptool doesn't, so its unlikely that Gametable does.

Most notably, he'd need to open a network port, which he doesn't necessarily have the ability to do.

As for the Maptool issue, Have you tried Launch? (http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=launch)
Edit: Right, forgot that isn't in browser.

gdiddy
2010-04-09, 07:42 AM
Well, for a variety of reasons, you're going to need to grease yourself up in Cristco. Then make a batch of seven-layer cake. Delicious. Irresistibly so. Then walk to the IT Department. You should only wear a bathing suit and sunglasses for this part. You're still Cristco'd up, right? Good.

So you bust in to the IT Department and are all

"HEY, who want's seven layer cake?!"

Now, if they're like "Hells Yeah!", then you'll have an easier time. You throw that cake down on a desk and yell "EAT OF MY BOUNTY!"

Then, while they're occupied by the "sleeping layer" (Sodium Penathol is the key ingredient.), you go on their computer and allow the program you want on the firewall. The sleeping layer will make them suggestible, and help you bypass any passwords they may have.

If they reject your offers of cake and peace, then you must make an example of one of them. Grab the nearest person and squeeze them. Your Cristco won't give you a good grip, so at some point, the tension will build up and they will fly from your arms violently. Ideally, out a window. Tear the sunglasses off your face and shed a tear. Then say "LOOK WHAT HORRORS YOU HAVE ACCOMPLISHED BY NOT EATING CAKE! EAT OF MY BOUNTY OR I SHALL SQUEEZE ANOTHER OF YOUR NUMBER!" Then get the programs allowed in the manner stated above.

If the police arrive, you will be Cristco'd and therefore capable of resisting capture and escaping back to your apartment/dorm/house/fortress of solitude.

As far as table App, I would be tempted to use the java chat that many Freeform Roleplay sites have.

Ormagoden
2010-04-09, 01:36 PM
Well, for a variety of reasons, you're going to need to grease yourself up in Cristco. Then make a batch of seven-layer cake. Delicious. Irresistibly so. Then walk to the IT Department. You should only wear a bathing suit and sunglasses for this part. You're still Cristco'd up, right? Good.

So you bust in to the IT Department and are all

"HEY, who want's seven layer cake?!"

Now, if they're like "Hells Yeah!", then you'll have an easier time. You throw that cake down on a desk and yell "EAT OF MY BOUNTY!"

Then, while they're occupied by the "sleeping layer" (Sodium Penathol is the key ingredient.), you go on their computer and allow the program you want on the firewall. The sleeping layer will make them suggestible, and help you bypass any passwords they may have.

If they reject your offers of cake and peace, then you must make an example of one of them. Grab the nearest person and squeeze them. Your Cristco won't give you a good grip, so at some point, the tension will build up and they will fly from your arms violently. Ideally, out a window. Tear the sunglasses off your face and shed a tear. Then say "LOOK WHAT HORRORS YOU HAVE ACCOMPLISHED BY NOT EATING CAKE! EAT OF MY BOUNTY OR I SHALL SQUEEZE ANOTHER OF YOUR NUMBER!" Then get the programs allowed in the manner stated above.

If the police arrive, you will be Cristco'd and therefore capable of resisting capture and escaping back to your apartment/dorm/house/fortress of solitude.

As far as table App, I would be tempted to use the java chat that many Freeform Roleplay sites have.

If I might offer a more reasonable and easier approach than this obviously deranged option above.

Threaten the IT "nerds" life directly. To do this you will need a few tools of the trade. Mainly a large ammount of cornstarch and a road flare.

Approach the HR manager of the company in their office. Ask them if it is alright if you shut the door because you want to discuss something private. Shut the door, walk towards them and chuck a hand full of cornstarch into their eyes. Preferably with a side arm technique to minimize chance of blinking.

As the HR manager screams and gropes around blindly access the personnel files and look up the IT department employee home address'.

Make sure you unplug the HR manager's desk phone to ensure you have maximum time for step two.

Step two leave the office shutting the door quietly and go to the IT area.
Approach the first employee, spout out their address and say they have five minutes to comply with your orders or their wife and/or children will die. Get the IT guru to do your bidding. Throw cornstarch into their eyes and then proceed to your desk to reap the rewards.

As far as a table app, Skype is really awesome for online play. It's free, private, and allows you to share files. Like combat maps and character sheets and such.