PDA

View Full Version : spawn of khyber

Geiger Counter
2010-04-08, 07:32 PM
Aboleth, hags and rakshasa are the three creatures said to be the spawn of khyber in eberron. What other monsters (from any campaign setting) would you place in this group?

AslanCross
2010-04-08, 08:33 PM
The Linnorms from MM2. They need some tweaking due to their stats being all over the place, but I take them to be Khyber's twisted attempt at creating dragons.

Coidzor
2010-04-08, 09:18 PM
Hmm, where's that bit come from?

AslanCross
2010-04-08, 09:21 PM
Hmm, where's that bit come from?

It's not in any existing book. Based on the origins of the dragons and the description of the Linnorms as related to dragons, their extremely rare nature and their lack of young, I thought that making them twisted spawn of Khyber is a good way to represent them in Eberron.

Coidzor
2010-04-08, 10:08 PM
It's not in any existing book. Based on the origins of the dragons and the description of the Linnorms as related to dragons, their extremely rare nature and their lack of young, I thought that making them twisted spawn of Khyber is a good way to represent them in Eberron.

Sorry, meant the bit about the spawn of Khyber. I've read some of the Eberron sourcebooks but hadn't run into that bit of fluff before.

Random NPC
2010-04-08, 10:25 PM
Sorry, meant the bit about the spawn of Khyber. I've read some of the Eberron sourcebooks but hadn't run into that bit of fluff before.

Siberys called forth the next generation of dragons, Eberron created all manner of other living things, and Khyber spat out the fiends.

[...]

Khyber’s fiendish offspring overrun the surface world, creating a hellish environment where rakshasas and night hags rule supreme.

Rakshasas and hags are Khyber's creation, as well as many non-outsider demonic looking creatures.

AslanCross
2010-04-08, 10:30 PM

Hmm. It seems the Rakshasa are the only ones mentioned as far as I can tell. The night hags seem to be the go-betweens for the dragons and demons, while the aboleths aren't mentioned. I think the aboleths are better as Daelkyr creations, like the rest of the aberrations.

EDIT: Oh, here's the lore on Aboleths being spawn of Khyber. They're the benthic equivalents of the Rakshasa. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebee/20050704a)

Geiger Counter
2010-04-08, 10:38 PM
Rakshasas and hags are Khyber's creation, as well as many non-outsider demonic looking creatures.

such as...

Inhuman Bot
2010-04-08, 11:45 PM
such as...

Aren't like... Beholders and Mind flayers and crap also part of that group? Or are they all Daelkyr things?

I wish I hadn't dropped my ECS into a puddle. :smallsigh::smallfrown:

AslanCross
2010-04-08, 11:56 PM
Aren't like... Beholders and Mind flayers and crap also part of that group? Or are they all Daelkyr things?

I wish I hadn't dropped my ECS into a puddle. :smallsigh::smallfrown:

Mind Flayers were the Daelkyr's chief servants. Beholders were living artillery pieces for the Daelkyr army. Dolgaunts and Dolgrims were made out of Hobgoblins and goblins, respectively, once the Daelkyr got to Eberron.

Dropping a book into a puddle ruined it? o_o About a third of my books were in my office when a fire hit two years ago. My cubicle wasn't burned, but all of it got drenched in sooty water by the firefighters. I was able to recover my books, and despite warped pages and soot stains on the page edges, they're still usable.