PDA

View Full Version : [PF Base] Linker Mage v2.0 - Based on Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha (PEACH, WIP)

draco_nite
2010-04-09, 01:49 AM
So, I've made some major changes from v1.0 of the linker mage.

-Formulas no longer strictly replicate spells. Formulas are now spell-like abilities that can be used for various things, such as teleportation or flight. These effects often imitate various spells. This is intentional. (It's basically so that you can get certain spells at lower levels, in essence.)

-Added a separate category of formulas, Blast formulas. Blast formulas are gained separately from normal formulas, and affect magical blast in various ways.

This class is based on several things, namely the Warlock class from Complete Arcane, and my attempt to rebalance http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Magical_Girl_(3.5e_Class), which is, in turn, based (mainly) on the anime Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha. (I chose to use the name Linker Mage instead of Magical Girl, because there are males who possess magical powers in Nanoha.)

Linker Mage

yo dawg we herd you like flavor text so we put some flavor in your text so you can taste while you text (aka I'm putting this off for later)

Alignment:Linker Mages can be of any alignment, but are rarely neutral, as most have some sort of cause to stand behind.

Hit Die:d8

Class Skills: Acrobatics, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Fly, Heal, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (religion), Perception, Profession, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device

Skills per level: 4 + Int Modifier

Proficiencies:All simple weapons, plus one martial weapon of the Linker Mage's choosing.

Linker Mage
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Formulas Known|Blast Formulas Known

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Magical Blast (1d6), Device, Barrier Jacket|
1|

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Cantrips|
2|

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|Magical Blast (2d6)|
2|

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Advanced Formulas I, Refresh Formula|
3|

5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Magical Blast (3d6)|
3|

6th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+5||
4|

7th|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+5|Magical Blast (4d6)|
4|

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+2|
+6|Advanced Formulas II|
5|

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+3|
+6|Magical Blast (5d6)|
5|

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+3|
+7|Cartridge Device|
6|

11th|
+8/+3|
+3|
+3|
+7|Magical Blast (6d6), Advanced Formulas III|
7|

12th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+4|
+8||
7|

13th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+4|
+8|Magical Blast (7d6)|
8|

14th|
+10/+5|
+4|
+4|
+9||
8|

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+9|Magical Blast (8d6)|
9|

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+10|Advanced Formulas IV|
10|

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+10|Magical Blast (9d6)|
10|

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+11||
11|

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11|Magical Blast (10d6)|
11|

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+6|
+12|Advanced Formulas V|
12|
5[/table]

Magical Blast (Sp): Magical Blast (someone give me a better name for this) is a 60-ft range single-target ray that deals 1d6 damage at first level and increases with level. Magical blast requires a ranged touch attack to hit, takes a full round action to use, can be used at will, and is equivalent of a first-level spell. It is subject to spell resistance, with a caster level equal to the linker mage's caster level. Unlike most spell-like abilities, Magical Blast has a verbal and somatic component, is subject to arcane spell failure, and is weaponlike. (Complete Arcane, 71) (I know it's a 3.5 book, and that this is Pathfinder, but the two were meant to be compatible.)

Formulas: Instead of having spells, a linker mage has a number of spell-like abilities called formulas. Unlike most spell-like abilities, formulas have somatic and verbal components (unless otherwise specified), and are subject to arcane spell failure. This can be reduced with the Arcane Armor Training and Arcane Armor Mastery feats. All formulas are take a full round to cast (reduced to a standard action with an active device) and have a save DC equal to 10 + caster level + Charisma modifier. A linker mage's caster level is equal to her class level.

Device (Ex): A linker mage's device is her most valuable possession, no linker mage leaves home without it, so to speak. A device can be any hand-held object such as a ring, book, or weapon. The item must be of masterwork quality. While the device is in hand or worn, the linker mage's Magical Blast and Formulas are reduced to standard actions. The linker mage's device may be enchanted like any other item. If the linker mage's device is a weapon, the linker mage may apply any enhancement bonuses on the weapon to her Magical Blast. A linker mage can only have one device at any given time.

If the linker mage's device is damaged, it is restored to full hit points at the beginning of the next day. If her device is lost or destroyed, it can be replaced after 1 week in a special ritual that costs 200 gp per linker mage level plus the cost of the masterwork item. This ritual takes 8 hours to complete. Items replaced in this way do not possess any of the additional enchantments of the previous bonded item. A linker mage can designate an existing magic item as her bonded item. This functions in the same way as replacing a lost or destroyed device except that the new magic item retains its abilities while gaining the benefits and drawbacks of becoming a device.

Barrier Jacket (Sp): Linker mages always have a second form that they switch to for combat. While in this form, the linker mage gains an AC bonus equal to her Charisma modifier. Transforming is a full-round action that can be done at will, and must be done with her device worn or on hand. In addition, the linker mage can choose to hide her true identity by adopting a false identity while transformed (think super-hero alter ego). This disguise cannot be used to impersonate another person, only to conceal identity. The linker mage gains a +10 to disguise checks while transformed (as long as it's only to conceal identity) and can trade AC from the transformation to get a bonus on the disguise check equal to AC sacrificed.

Cantrips (Sp): At 2nd level, the linker mage can use any 0-level spell on the sorcerer/wizard spell list at will. These spell-like abilities follow the same rules as Formulas.

Advanced Formulas: Starting at 4th level, the linker mage can, instead of gaining a learning a formula from the formula list, "create" a formula by copying the a spell from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. The spell retains all of its former effects (except as noted below,) and is usable at will, just like a formula. Spells copied in this way are subject to the normal arcane spell failure unless the copied spell did not have a somatic component. Likewise, if the spell had a verbal component, it retains the verbal component. Material components are eliminated, and the linker mage uses her device as any focus required for the spell. The spell must meet the following requirements:

Must have a casting time of no longer than a standard action.
Must not require a material component worth more than 1gp.
Must not be of the Conjuration (teleportation) subschool.

In addition, the spell's effects are changed as follows:

If the formula is a beneficial spell, the formula can only affect the linker mage, unless that spell would only be beneficial if cast on others (e.g. telepathic bond.) (The DM has the final say in whether a spell is beneficial or not.)
The linker mage's caster level is treated as one-half in regards to this spell, EXCEPT in regards to spell resistance. (e.g. A 14th level linker mage would only do 7d6 damage with fireball with a range of 680 ft, but adds 14 to her caster level check to overcome spell resistance.)
No more than one instance of the formula may be active at any given time. If the linker mage casts a second instance of the formula, the previous one is cancelled. (e.g. A linker mage casts Charm Person, then casts a second Charm Person on another target. The first Charm Person is cancelled.)

The DM may want to restrict spells that he deems too powerful.
Formulas learned in this way may be countered by equivalent spells (and any additional counterspells the spell may have had), but formulas may not counter spells or other formulas (not even a dispel magic formula.) If a formula is countered, the linker mage cannot use ANY formulas or Magical Blast for 1d4+1 rounds.

A linker mage may count a known formula as a known spell for the purpose of item creation and prestige class requirements. Her caster level is equal to her linker mage class level.

At the indicated levels, the linker mage can select spells of one level higher.

Refresh Formula (Ex): As a free action, a linker mage may refresh the duration of a self-enhancing formula as though casting it again, if that formula has a duration longer than one round. A linker mage may refresh any number of currently active formulas in this way.

Cartridge Device (Ex):At 10th level, the linker mage may add a cartridge system to her device, if it is a weapon. As a free action, the linker mage may increase her caster level by 1 (this is not halved by advanced formulas) and all formulas and Magical Blast are cast as though their spell level were 1 level higher (similar to the Heighten Spell metamagic feat.) This effect does stack with itself, lasts for a number of rounds equal to the linker mage's Charisma modifier (minimum 1), and each use consumes one arcane round. A cartridge system can hold up to 6 arcane rounds and must be manually reloaded afterwords, with each round requiring a full-round action.

If the linker mage has more arcane rounds active than her 1 + her device's enhancement bonus, her device must make a DC (10 + 2x number of rounds used) Fortitude save each time she uses a formula or Magical Blast. If the device fails the save, it takes damage equal to 1/2 its maximum hit points +1 (essentially giving it the broken condition.) If it fails by 5 or more, the device is destroyed. Either way, the ability being used fails.

Arcane rounds can be crafted only by those who can use Magical Blast. Crafting an arcane round requires the Craft Wondrous Item feat. Arcane Rounds are always CL 10th, require a DC 15 Spellcraft check, and require materials worth 250g (meaning that arcane rounds can be bought for 500g each.)

Linker Mages and Prestige Classes

Linker mages can benefit from prestige class levels that grant extra spellcasting levels. (The linker mage counts as an arcane caster.) Linker mages gain no class abilites from prestige classes EXCEPT for extra dice of Magical Blast damage and level of formulas known/number of formulas known.

Formulas

Beguiling Influence: Gives the linker mage a permanent +6 to Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate checks.
Leaps and Bounds: Gives the linker mage a permanent +6 to Acrobatics and Fly checks.
Energy Resistance: The linker mage gains resistance to one type of energy (acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic) equal to one-half her class level rounded down (minimum 1) while her Barrier Jacket is active. The linker mage may change this type of energy as a full-round action.
Telepathy: The linker mage permanently gains Telepathy with a range of 20 feet per caster level. Requires Advanced Formulas I.
Dampen Impact: The linker mage gains DR X/-, where X is one quarter her linker mage + 2, rounded down. Requires Advanced Formulas II.
Dimension Hop: The linker mage gains Dimension Door as a spell-like ability usable three times per day, with a caster level equal to her linker mage level. Requires Advanced Formulas III.
Upon gaining Advanced Formulas IV, the linker mage may spend two uses of Dimension Hop to use Teleport as a spell-like ability, with a caster level equal to her linker mage level.
Upon gaining Advanced Formulas V, the linker mage may spend all three uses of Dimension Hop to use Plane Shift as a spell-like ability, with a caster level equal to her linker mage level.

Blast Formulas
I'll add these after dinner.

I'd like to add other effects that could be taken in place of formulas, such as equivalents of blast shape or eldritch essence invocations. Please, leave any comments, (constructive!) criticism, questions, and/or suggestions.

erikun
2010-04-09, 11:01 PM
d8 Hit Dice sounds high for a spellcaster, but then again, 2+INT skill points sounds low. This is especially true for a class that doesn't use INT. You might want to give us an idea of what the Fly skill does, although I'd assume it works like Swim.

Are Magical Blast and the Formulas affected by Arcane Spell Failure? The presence of somantic components to the Blast, plus Knowledge: Arcana on the skills list, would indicate they are some sort of arcane spellcaster. On the other hand, they toss around their abilities as a Warlock, so not being impaired by armor might make sense.

Come to think about it, why does Magical Blast have a somantic component?

Device should add a focus component to the Magical Blast ability, the focus being the Device.

You need to set an ability score to the Formula casting, since some spells have a saving throw. (I would recommend CHA.) Interestingly enough, the Magical Blast doesn't have a save, and thus, doesn't depend on an ability score beyond Dexterity to hit.

draco_nite
2010-04-10, 12:06 AM
d8 Hit Dice sounds high for a spellcaster, but then again, 2+INT skill points sounds low. This is especially true for a class that doesn't use INT. You might want to give us an idea of what the Fly skill does, although I'd assume it works like Swim.Come to think of it, d8 is a bit high. The fly skill is a skill introduced in Pathfinder to, in essence, replace the old manuverability system.

EDIT: Actually, this is what the Fly skill does. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/fly)

Are Magical Blast and the Formulas affected by Arcane Spell Failure? The presence of somantic components to the Blast, plus Knowledge: Arcana on the skills list, would indicate they are some sort of arcane spellcaster. On the other hand, they toss around their abilities as a Warlock, so not being impaired by armor might make sense.

Come to think about it, why does Magical Blast have a somantic component?My intention was to replicate Eldritch Blast from the warlock class. I'd copy it right out of Complete Arcane, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do that according to the forum rules. It is subject to arcane spell failure, along with the use of Formulas (assuming that the original spell had a somatic component). Thanks for pointing that out.

Device should add a focus component to the Magical Blast ability, the focus being the Device.That's an interesting idea. I'd rather not have the entire class revolve around a single item, but it'd be another balance factor should the class prove to be too powerful.

You need to set an ability score to the Formula casting, since some spells have a saving throw. (I would recommend CHA.) Interestingly enough, the Magical Blast doesn't have a save, and thus, doesn't depend on an ability score beyond Dexterity to hit.IIRC, spell-like abilites default to 10 + Spell Level + CHA. Also, Magical Blast is a direct ripoff of Eldritch Blast, and isn't supposed to have a saving throw.

I'd like to point out that I'm nowhere near done with this class yet, I'm going to add options that could, if you want, make the class melee-oriented, probably through substitution levels (or, I may make another class entirely.)

Real Sorceror
2010-04-10, 01:51 AM
Actually, if they only get 1 spell of each level, d8 doesn't seem high at all. Remember that under the Pathfinder rules a Warlock would have d8s, so if you're modeling it after Warlock then d8 is fine. I'd actually suggest giving them access to cantrips and a few more spells per day.

Also, if you check this link: Crystal Keep (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php), they have stripped down versions of all the 3.5 Wizards of the Coast classes. I believe anything in there is safe to use.

draco_nite
2010-04-10, 02:25 AM
Actually, if they only get 1 spell of each level, d8 doesn't seem high at all. Remember that under the Pathfinder rules a Warlock would have d8s, so if you're modeling it after Warlock then d8 is fine. I'd actually suggest giving them access to cantrips and a few more spells per day.Yeah, cantrips couldn't hurt, especially since you can cast them all day in Pathfinder anyway. They get 2 spells of each level, except for 5th.

I do plan on adding other things to this class, such as ways to customize

Also, if you check this link: Crystal Keep (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php), they have stripped down versions of all the 3.5 Wizards of the Coast classes. I believe anything in there is safe to use.すごい。

draco_nite
2010-04-10, 03:16 AM
Okay, I just thought of something really, really broken: Dimension Door at level 16. What this means is that you can move 750 feet in a round (400 base, 320 CL, 30 move). And I just found out that Teleport is a 5th level spell, which would be 1000 MILES per round at 20th level.

I'm think I'm just going to outright ban Conjuration (teleportation) spells altogether. I don't want teleportation to be completely out of the realm of possibilities, so I'll probably add some kind of teleportation to the extra options that I plan to add in later. (Possibly in the form of alternative formulas.)

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-10, 03:47 AM
Given that Magical Girls have an annoying habit of showing up when the combat is about to start, before your rampage has even gotten into swing, it doesn't seem unreasonable.

It's not as if the character can bring along her allies...

draco_nite
2010-04-10, 04:25 AM
Given that Magical Girls have an annoying habit of showing up when the combat is about to start, before your rampage has even gotten into swing, it doesn't seem unreasonable.

It's not as if the character can bring along her allies...

I don't really mind the whole "LOLOLOL AMBUSH" thing, it's just that being able to move at 85 mph for as long as you can stay awake without a forced march or...do you see where I'm going with this?

Real Sorceror
2010-04-10, 04:50 AM
I don't really mind the whole "LOLOLOL AMBUSH" thing, it's just that being able to move at 85 mph for as long as you can stay awake without a forced march or...do you see where I'm going with this?
You could always use spell slots, spell points, or some other per day/encounter/round limit. Given the flavor of the class I don't see why they should be completely cut off any teleoprtation. Plus, banning conjuration also banns summoning, and we all know how those magical girls like to summon monster.

draco_nite
2010-04-10, 04:54 AM
You could always use spell slots, spell points, or some other per day/encounter/round limit. Given the flavor of the class I don't see why they should be completely cut off any teleoprtation. Plus, banning conjuration also banns summoning, and we all know how those magical girls like to summon monster.
Not the entire conjuration school, just the teleportation subschool. This will only lock out the spells Dimension Door and Teleport, at least from the core book. I will add some kind of teleportation, probably something similar to what conjuration specialized wizards get.

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-10, 06:12 AM
Given the way that Shoujo rarely repeat anything but their blasting and jumping schticks all that regularly, you could simply increase the number of formulae they get and give them the 5 round refresh period from Binders.

ScIaDrd
2010-04-10, 06:31 AM
Whooo a Nanoha class, awesome. Just for that can have this pile of internets.
Incidentaly, me and a bunch of other forumites did something like this, a 3.5 supplement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140247) for Magical girls and also for Sentai (Power Rangers style tranforming superhero) a few week back:smallsmile: But whatever.. doesenŽt matter much.:smallcool: What IŽm saying is that we might colaborate if you would like.
Also if you ever were to make a 3. 5 version.of this briliance, IŽll be more than happy to homebrew some feats or stuff for it, because I donŽt know the tinniest bit of Pathfinder.

draco_nite
2010-04-10, 02:23 PM
Whooo a Nanoha class, awesome. Just for that can have this pile of internets.
Incidentaly, me and a bunch of other forumites did something like this, a 3.5 supplement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140247) for Magical girls and also for Sentai (Power Rangers style tranforming superhero) a few week back:smallsmile: But whatever.. doesenŽt matter much.:smallcool: What IŽm saying is that we might colaborate if you would like.
Also if you ever were to make a 3. 5 version.of this briliance, IŽll be more than happy to homebrew some feats or stuff for it, because I donŽt know the tinniest bit of Pathfinder.
Pathfinder is 3.5 in a nutshell, but everything is tuned a bit higher, skills are merged, grapples and disarms and such have been merged into a single mehanic, there's no more XP costs for anything, and other minor changes that don't matter a whole lot.

Paizo has this conversion guide (http://paizo.com/store/downloads/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/v5748btpy89m6) (3.5 to PF) for free. You have to make an account and such on their site and "buy" it for $0.00, but there's no need to give a credit card or anything.

erikun
2010-04-10, 09:06 PM
Second thoughts, the d8 HP doesn't sound that bad. As Real Sorceror mentioned, it's not as much a wizard as it is a warlock or magical rogue. Someone who's main job is to stab people with a sword - even a magic, long range sword - should at least have decent HP to survive long enough to do so.

I think 2 + INT skill points is low, but then again, I think that's too low for just about any class.

Transformation should probably be renamed "Barrier Jacket" to fit with the Nanoha theme. Also, it should apply to touch attacks as well. It would be kind of silly in retrospect if it didn't.

The easiest was I see to solve the Formula problem is to limit the two highest level Formulas to once-per-five-minutes, and the lower ones become at-will. For example, a 5th level Linker Mage has only the one Formula, a 1st level formula, and can be used every 5 minutes. A 12th level Linker Mage has five Formulas, one being a 3rd level formula, two being 2nd level formulas, and two being 1st level formulas. The 1st level formulas can be used freely, but the 2nd/3rd level formulas have the five minute "cooldown".

Some other thoughts:

Alternate Class Feature: Magical Blast can be used as a melee touch attack rather than a ranged touch attack; the Linker Mage may use either Strength or Dexterity for the attack roll. It is otherwise identical to the Magical Blast class feature. (Perhaps remove the somantic component to allow armor use?)

Feat: Allow the Linker Mage to use their Magical Blast as either a ranged touch attack, or a melee touch attack.

Class Feature: Allow the Linker Mage to maintain "at-will" Formulas as long as they are conscious. This keeps them from needing to spend a standard action every 10 minutes to refresh their Formulas, along with avoiding the "but of course I would always have my Shield Formula up!" arguments. This goes with my idea of limiting the highest two Formula levels to five-minute-recharge, as it keeps Linker Mages from having permanent 5th level Formulas active.

Honestly, I considered making this a feat, but it really isn't worth it. On the other hand, it means that higher level Linker Mages will basically be flying around under continual Shield, Protection from Evil, and so on.

10th level looks like it needs something. Plus, it allows the Linker Mage 10/Prc 10 to have a new ability as a "capstone" of sorts.

Feat: Allow the Linker Mage to full attack with their Magical Blast, assuming they are using their Device. This is an 8th level feat at least, and I don't think it's much more damaging than a TWF rogue. (Then again, I'm not familiar if the warlock has something similar.)

draco_nite
2010-04-10, 10:37 PM
Second thoughts, the d8 HP doesn't sound that bad. As Real Sorceror mentioned, it's not as much a wizard as it is a warlock or magical rogue. Someone who's main job is to stab people with a sword - even a magic, long range sword - should at least have decent HP to survive long enough to do so.

I think 2 + INT skill points is low, but then again, I think that's too low for just about any class.Thinking back, this class doesn't really get anything from a high INT other than skill points. I wouldn't expect anyone to put anything higher than a 14 in their INT, so I guess 4 + INT is fine.

Transformation should probably be renamed "Barrier Jacket" to fit with the Nanoha theme. Also, it should apply to touch attacks as well. It would be kind of silly in retrospect if it didn't."Barrier Jacket" is a better name for it, although I'd have to chew on letting it work on touch attacks.

The easiest was I see to solve the Formula problem is to limit the two highest level Formulas to once-per-five-minutes, and the lower ones become at-will. For example, a 5th level Linker Mage has only the one Formula, a 1st level formula, and can be used every 5 minutes. A 12th level Linker Mage has five Formulas, one being a 3rd level formula, two being 2nd level formulas, and two being 1st level formulas. The 1st level formulas can be used freely, but the 2nd/3rd level formulas have the five minute "cooldown".I really think a 5 minute cooldown is an overkill solution to a problem that I'm not really sure exists. The problem was with two formulas, and I've addressed that already by disallowing teleportation spells to be used as formulas. I don't really think that there needs to be a limit to how much you can cast the other formulas, since you only get 9 in total, and they're considerably weaker.

Some other thoughts:

Alternate Class Feature: Magical Blast can be used as a melee touch attack rather than a ranged touch attack; the Linker Mage may use either Strength or Dexterity for the attack roll. It is otherwise identical to the Magical Blast class feature. (Perhaps remove the somantic component to allow armor use?)

Feat: Allow the Linker Mage to use their Magical Blast as either a ranged touch attack, or a melee touch attack.If you're thinking "Velkan Style," I think I'm going to make this either a PrC or another base class. The way I'd like a melee version of this class to play would be so different that it'd be another class entirely. Although, I suppose that when I get around to adding in those Eldritch Essence/Blast Shape equivalents, I'll probably add some feature that allows you to channel your Magical Blast into your melee attack.

Class Feature: Allow the Linker Mage to maintain "at-will" Formulas as long as they are conscious. This keeps them from needing to spend a standard action every 10 minutes to refresh their Formulas, along with avoiding the "but of course I would always have my Shield Formula up!" arguments. This goes with my idea of limiting the highest two Formula levels to five-minute-recharge, as it keeps Linker Mages from having permanent 5th level Formulas active.I agree with this. All I need to do is word it the way I want it to.

10th level looks like it needs something. Plus, it allows the Linker Mage 10/Prc 10 to have a new ability as a "capstone" of sorts.Again, I agree, and 20th level should have one too. (For 20th level, I'm thinking about a 1/day gaze attack Magical Blast. Although, I'm not too familiar on the mechanics of gaze attacks.)

Feat: Allow the Linker Mage to full attack with their Magical Blast, assuming they are using their Device. This is an 8th level feat at least, and I don't think it's much more damaging than a TWF rogue. (Then again, I'm not familiar if the warlock has something similar.)I really don't think I'll ever allow this. Considering that Magical Blast has the same progression as Sneak Attack, and that Sneak Attack doesn't apply to each attack...(Or does it? I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem to be the kind of thing that would apply to each attack.)
HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT I FIX CLOCKS
EDIT: The warlock does not have something similar, but it sucks a fat clock. I'll probably make a version that doesn't suck as much.

I also made a 10th level capstone, and made it easier for a Magical Girl to enter PrCs.

Terazul
2010-04-10, 10:59 PM
I really don't think I'll ever allow this. Considering that Magical Blast has the same progression as Sneak Attack, and that Sneak Attack doesn't apply to each attack...(Or does it? I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem to be the kind of thing that would apply to each attack.)

It does. Sneak Attack damage applies to every attack that qualifies for/triggers Sneak Attack in a round.
You swing your first weapon. Is he flat-footed? You get SA damage.
You swing your second weapon. Still flat-footed? You still get SA damage. Same if flanked, etc.

draco_nite
2010-04-11, 06:02 AM
Just updated the class. See the main post for details.

Also, lol shameless bump.

erikun
2010-04-11, 01:47 PM
Fine point about Magical Blast: If it counts as a first level spell, then a simple Lesser Glove of Invulnerability spell renders the Linker Mage's main attack useless. I'm not sure if the Blast Formulas are intended to get around this.

While it isn't necessarily a bad thing - you can always toss around Otiluke's Freezing Sphere instead - I only think it should be there if you intend it to be.

You might want to mention that the Linker Mage can only have one Device at a time, and if they try to make a second, the first stops being a Device.

Refresh Formula... now that I think about it, refreshing something like Dominate Person (duration: days/level) without a saving throw will end up quite broken. Just something to keep in mind; perhaps a second save would be appropriate every time it is refreshed.

Owrtho
2010-04-11, 03:19 PM
Well, I don't play pathfinder, so can't say much on the balance, but I do like the idea of the class. I would suggest adding the cartridge system though. Not quite sure what it would be used for though as the different characters all tended to have unique uses. Possible could just enhance the power of a spell though.

Owrtho

draco_nite
2010-04-11, 04:20 PM
Fine point about Magical Blast: If it counts as a first level spell, then a simple Lesser Glove of Invulnerability spell renders the Linker Mage's main attack useless. I'm not sure if the Blast Formulas are intended to get around this.That's a good point. Yeah, the blast formulas will be a way to get around things like that.

While it isn't necessarily a bad thing - you can always toss around Otiluke's Freezing Sphere instead - I only think it should be there if you intend it to be.You mean as a blast formula or something?

You might want to mention that the Linker Mage can only have one Device at a time, and if they try to make a second, the first stops being a Device.I thought I had mentioned it, but I'll clarify that as well.

Refresh Formula... now that I think about it, refreshing something like Dominate Person (duration: days/level) without a saving throw will end up quite broken. Just something to keep in mind; perhaps a second save would be appropriate every time it is refreshed.I should clarify that this only works on spells that can be measured in rounds or minutes. The idea was that if you wanted a spell to last FOREVER, you would be giving up sleep.Never mind, Orthwo has given me a better idea.

Well, I don't play pathfinder, so can't say much on the balance, but I do like the idea of the class. I would suggest adding the cartridge system though. Not quite sure what it would be used for though as the different characters all tended to have unique uses. Possible could just enhance the power of a spell though.I seriously can't believe I forgot the cartridges. Screw the "refresh anything," this is what you can get at 10th level.