PDA

View Full Version : Traps

Lvl45DM!
2010-04-09, 09:53 AM
Hey i jsut want some quick ideas for my PC's traps since hes guarding a building. Hes a a 1st ED assassin so just an basic rogue with excellent trap making skills. Ive got crossbows aimed at doors spiked logs falling on people foot snares oil trap and trip wires. Acid vials on the arrows and explosive fluid with a glyph set to fire as well. Poisoned spikes as well. No idea whats coming so just covering my end of the defences. Not much time few hours tops

jiriku
2010-04-09, 10:10 AM
With only a few hours to prepare, there's not much more you can do than that. I might recommend some booby traps involving sacks of flour or bags of paint, to "paint" your targets just in case they attempt to break in invisibily. Traps that burst open bags of caltrops to suddenly create a hazard in doorways and narrow halls aren't a bad idea, and you could smear contact poison on your tripwires. Acid is ok, but if you can get your hands on any sort of adhesive or powerful, fast-acting glue (like tanglefoot in 3.5), a long-lasting penalty to movement, AC, and the chance to ruin spellcasting is better than a couple points of acid damage.

Most of what you can do with a hastily improvised trap isn't going to be very deadly and won't impact more than one target anyhow, so you should aim for traps that slow and disrupt attackers, providing a situational advantage to your active defenders (assuming the building is going to be actively defended).

Lvl45DM!
2010-04-09, 10:15 AM
Thats not bad. I'm with like 3 drow so im sure i can get some sticky spider silk. Cast invisibility on it? hmmm will consider
But really contact posion on the trip wire? no way i would let that fly as a DM unless it was barbed wire.

jiriku
2010-04-09, 10:29 AM
Thats not bad. I'm with like 3 drow so im sure i can get some sticky spider silk. Cast invisibility on it? hmmm will consider
But really contact posion on the trip wire? no way i would let that fly as a DM unless it was barbed wire.

Barbed wire is too obvious to make a good tripwire. Use razorwire instead. It has all of barbed wire's slashy goodness, while retaining a low visual profile. It's a tad more expensive than barbed wire because it's harder to make, but we're talking a difference of copper or silver pieces here - a neglible cost for an adventurer.

Edit: And if you can get lots of sticky spider silk, string it in dark places, or attach it to two long sticks, and anchor the sticks to the ceiling of a room, with one end anchored to the ceiling and the other bound loosely. Trigger the trap with with a tripwire to release the loosely bound ends. The two sticks will swing down from the ceiling like pendulums, one on the left side of the victim, one on the right, with the webbing strung between them. Instant entanglement!

Darklord Xavez
2010-04-09, 11:24 AM
Hey i jsut want some quick ideas for my PC's traps since hes guarding a building. Hes a a 1st ED assassin so just an basic rogue with excellent trap making skills. Ive got crossbows aimed at doors spiked logs falling on people foot snares oil trap and trip wires. Acid vials on the arrows and explosive fluid with a glyph set to fire as well. Poisoned spikes as well. No idea whats coming so just covering my end of the defences. Not much time few hours tops

That's actually really good. Got any alchemist's fire?
-Xavez

Lvl45DM!
2010-04-09, 11:51 AM
keep em then

Darklord Xavez
2010-04-09, 11:55 AM
keep em then

Actually, you can have them anyways. Read my post before this one.
-Xavez

Lvl45DM!
2010-04-09, 10:48 PM
Thanks :) no alchemists fire, first Ed, mostly mundane items but assassin are master poisoners so i have all kinds of those, paralytics and slows as well as insta kill. Oil

jguy
2010-04-09, 11:26 PM
Heh, suddenly I had an idea though I don't know if it'd work. A web trip wire hidden among a large strand of webs in a hallway. The web trips when it is cut or burned and it trigger a trap one square in front of it, whatever it is.