PDA

View Full Version : Dead Winter: Poetry, Vengence, and Zombies!

BRC
2010-04-09, 11:00 AM
Can be found here! (http://www.deadwinter.cc/)
So does anybody else read this most excellent webcomic? I do, and have been enjoying it immensely. Let's talk about it.

Also, concerning the most recent comic, Black Monday Blues vs Dale. This is going to be good.

Tavar
2010-04-09, 11:18 AM
Well, reading through up to 24, and, how oblivious are these people? He's getting swarmed by zombies, and still thinks nothings wrong?

Edit; the inner world thing is awesome, though.

Domochevsky
2010-04-09, 12:18 PM
Ah, i read that one once... pretty good, but the occasional to frequent drops in intelligence ("You have a gun. Shoot him!") of these people for the sake of Plot can be aggravating. >_>
(Which is ultimately why i stopped reading.)

Thalraxal
2010-04-09, 12:41 PM
Heh, I actually just finished reading the archives yesterday and found it to be pretty dang awesome. As a new reader, my only real concern is that the plot seems to move pretty slowly in Dead Winter. And while it makes for a great archive trawl, I'm worried that the slow plot is going to drive me crazy on a per-update basis. (I felt that the chase scene on the road on their way to the Omni-Mart dragged on a little bit too long. It was still awesome, and it's going to be interesting to see the fallout from all of that mess someday though).

That said, I really like the artist's use of colour (black and white for the side stories, greyscale with red for the main story, and full-colour for dreams), and it's got one of the best Archive pages I've seen. At first glance it's kinda weird, but it's colour coded and it's easy to find something you're looking for. Stylish, functional, and plot/theme related! I was impressed.

Tavar
2010-04-09, 03:12 PM
Ah, i read that one once... pretty good, but the occasional to frequent drops in intelligence ("You have a gun. Shoot him!") of these people for the sake of Plot can be aggravating. >_>
(Which is ultimately why i stopped reading.)

When do you mean? The only point I can really think that fits is early on in the story, and it makes sense that he didn't want to shoot; bullets are hard to come by, so it's a bad idea to waste them. Plus, he though he could take him without a gun. Just turns out that he was wrong.

Domochevsky
2010-04-09, 05:47 PM
When do you mean? The only point I can really think that fits is early on in the story, and it makes sense that he didn't want to shoot; bullets are hard to come by, so it's a bad idea to waste them. Plus, he though he could take him without a gun. Just turns out that he was wrong.

Im not entirely clear on the details anymore, but that was what stuck in memory. It's an accumulation of odd bits of logic and judgement failures here and there.

That fat guy is clearly a lot of danger and he decides to turn his back to him to grab some other item instead of using the gun in his hand... really. >_>

Another bit (i just remembered) was with the main character going into the store/caffee/whateveritwas to complain to the fat guy, somehow without noticing the zombie apocalypse around her. :smallsigh:

Has been some time since i last read it, so no guarantees for accuracy. :smallcool:

Tavar
2010-04-09, 05:57 PM
Im not entirely clear on the details anymore, but that was what stuck in memory. It's an accumulation of odd bits of logic and judgement failures here and there.

That fat guy is clearly a lot of danger and he decides to turn his back to him to grab some other item instead of using the gun in his hand... really. >_>
The gun wasn't in his hand. He tried to take the big guy out with his knife, as he didn't want to use limited bullets. The fat guy was tougher than he thought (referenced in the comic), at which point he pulls out a gun. He's in melee range, though, so the fat guy knocks the gun away, and he goes for the closest weapon, which is the knife.

Another bit (i just remembered) was with the main character going into the store/caffee/whateveritwas to complain to the fat guy, somehow without noticing the zombie apocalypse around her. :smallsigh:
Yeah, that was odd. I can think of a couple possible explanations, though. One, for most of that she was in a car, and therefore might not be paying the closest attention to the people on the side of the road. In the dinner, well, she was in a red rage, and I know that when I'm in one of those I'm less observant. Once she calms down, she realizes what's wrong pretty quickly.

Domochevsky
2010-04-09, 06:01 PM
A red rage that was mighty convenient in coming up at that exact point, methinks. Kinda out of character from what i can remember.

Tavar
2010-04-09, 06:10 PM
A red rage that was mighty convenient in coming up at that exact point, methinks. Kinda out of character from what i can remember.

OOC? Normally, yes. But the dream sequence before that was likely highly destabalizing, plus she had been hoping for a day off. Now everything seems to be going to hell. People break.

Domochevsky
2010-04-09, 06:39 PM
Sounds pretty flimsy in the overall context. I didn't buy it when the comic did it, s'what i'm saying. :|
(How can you not notice hordes of zombies moaning and clawing at things around you? The fat guy was actively fighting them at that moment, if i remember correctly (which is unlikely).)

I also don't buy the sudden fit of rage out of nowhere before entering. (She was pretty damn calm right before that, if (again) memory serves right.)

Tavar
2010-04-09, 06:53 PM
She actually wasn't. She was decently annoyed early on, and it only got worse once she hit a traffic sign and then had the sign hit her on the head. Plus, I mean, she was angry the night before.

Oh, plus, she was on her cell phone while driving, which means she was even less aware of her surroundings. Plus, you know, groggy at being woken up early. The Fat guy was fighting them off, though he was behind a counter. So in her rant (in which people can miss many, many things. The imagery of a mindless rage isn't all fantasy) she missed things. As soon as she began paying attention to her surroundings, she realized something was wrong, fast.