PDA

View Full Version : Tucker's Adventurers.

druid91
2010-04-09, 11:55 AM
Well I recently got the go ahead to modify the local tavern to be more defensible so that next time orcs attack the town they will have a nasty surprise waiting for them.
So far ideas that have ocurred to me are the general tuckers kobolds tactics, Removable wooden floors over nasty traps, Murder-holes in the ceiling and arrow slits in the walls.
But Besides my thought for something that stops or redirects teleportation magic, Exploding runes and the daylight cannon what else could be done?

Darklord Xavez
2010-04-09, 11:57 AM
Got any alchemist's fire? Also, read the thread titled Traps by lvl45DM!. It's on essentially the same topic.
-Xavez

druid91
2010-04-09, 12:12 PM
He has a few hours I have until the rest of the players are level 3.(variable start levels but higher levels have to stay around town and can't go adventure until the others catch up.) And I meant that I have full permission to dig or build so long as I don't mess up the tavern itself too much.
I was thinking a basement panic tunnel that leads to a cellar door on the outside of the tavern, but is basically a dungeon set up, Also I think reinforcing the front doors and back door so that the only way in is to bash it down(taking hits from the adventurers within) or go through the death tunnel.

Octopus Jack
2010-04-09, 12:20 PM
You need traps, lots of traps. And trap your traps so if they are disarmed the second trap goes off and maybe trap the second trap with another trap which triggers the first and second trap if either of them is disarmed and rig the first trap to trigger the third trap which will also trigger the second trap.

Put this on every door no one will try to break into the tavern.

Darklord Xavez
2010-04-09, 12:23 PM
"Accidentally" leave several blueprints for elaborate and deadly traps (at least CR 7) easily visible on a table near the entrance. Works every time.
-Xavez

kestrel404
2010-04-09, 03:25 PM
So, you can 're-model' the inn, but you must leave it mostly the same in appearance, and totally useable. And you can't make a trap that will destroy the inn.
Too bad, the most effective tactic for urban combat against an invading force is to lure them into a building and then collapse the building on them. Oh well, there's other stuff you can do.
First, considder external defenses. I'm assuming that these orcs are attacking the Inn, rather than the town the Inn is in, because this Inn is not in a town. Which means you've got a good amount of area around the inn to work with.

Start with a killing field - an area around the inn that's cleared of trees and brush so that nothing can sneak up on the inn. Surround that with a fence - all the way around the in, in a big circular area. You can use that as a corral so that people with horses can just leave them outside the inn to graze. Have a second, inner fence, also going all the way around the inn, about ten or so feet out. The second fence doesn't have to be especially defensible, but make it sturdy and hard to climb (spiked/oiled/thorny from druid magic, whatever). Have one or two gaps in that fence, with rails leading straight to the front/back doors of the inn. The rest of the way around the in, inside that inner fence, you put landmines, caltrops, pit traps, or whatever other nasty things you can think of. Regardless, it's ten feet of really nasty terrain, or come at the inn in single file down a narrow passageway for your attackers.

Inside the inn, you defenses depend pretty heavily on the layout. Without knowing that, here are some blind recommendations.
Build a 'coat room' just inside the door, where people can hang their coats before coming in. Give it a single narrow exit where the Orcs will have to go through one at a time. Also give it some nice, small, decorative windows that people can shove swords/fire arrows through. If you want to be really nasty, add a pit trap tha the bartender can manually activate, as well as a trap door in the ceiling, above which is stored something heavy, like a dozen anvils (because falling anvils is a classic ;) ).
Have heavy wooden tables next to every window. This gives the patrons somewhere to sit and look out the window - encouraging them to keep watch for you without needing to keep a sentry most of the time. It also gives you something useful to barricade the windows with. If you want to get fancy, add straps to the bottom of each table that attach to the walls/candle holders/whatever around the windows, so that the tables can basically be used to seal the windows at a moment's notice.
Have bundles of long-spears in the rafters. A spear is a simple weapon, and as such just about everyone (including level 1 commoners) is proficient with it. It's also really cheap. And a reach weapon. At the first sign of trouble, arm all the patrons.
Add a good supply of bows and arrows to the mix, and you've turned that simple tavern into a small fortress that can repel sieges. Just be careful about fires - as you don't want your nice defensible position burning down around you. Keep water or sand buckets everywhere for this purpose.

Dr Bwaa
2010-04-09, 03:33 PM
At level three you're not going to be able to lock out teleportation, unless you can UMD a scroll of Teleport Block or Anticipate Teleportation (both in SpC, IIRC).