PDA

View Full Version : Berserker Prerequisites?

Zach J.
2010-04-09, 12:13 PM
I was wondering what the prerequisites were for the Berserker prestige class from Deities & Demigods. I don't have a copy of the book and all I've been able to find out from Google is that you need Martial Weapon Proficiencies. Is that it?

Starbuck_II
2010-04-09, 12:33 PM
I was wondering what the prerequisites were for the Berserker prestige class from Deities & Demigods. I don't have a copy of the book and all I've been able to find out from Google is that you need Martial Weapon Proficiencies. Is that it?

Nonlawful
+5 BAB
Shield, armor Prof-meduim, Weapon Prof: battleaxe, longsword, or warhammer

Zach J.
2010-04-09, 12:34 PM
Nonlawful
+5 BAB
Shield, armor Prof-meduim, Weapon Prof: battleaxe, longsword, or warhammer

Is that it? Hmm...that seems very easy to qualify for. Is that balanced by the fact that berserkers can potentially attack allies or something?

Starbuck_II
2010-04-09, 12:39 PM
Well, yeah, they attack everyone they see (DC check to not attk allies/innocent bystanders).
Which means if you become one buy a Berserking Sword (cheap and you are going berserk anyway).

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#swordBerserking

Thajocoth
2010-04-09, 12:45 PM
...Shield, armor Prof-meduim...

The fact that berserkers wear clothing always seamed weird to me... The whole point of berserking, originally, was to shock your opponents into hesitation by being nude.

AslanCross
2010-04-09, 05:46 PM
The fact that berserkers wear clothing always seamed weird to me... The whole point of berserking, originally, was to shock your opponents into hesitation by being nude.

Well, that does raise AC in some cases. :smallamused:

Kaiyanwang
2010-04-09, 06:28 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but unless has been updated someway, Berserk has cleric BAB, not full BAB. This is a thing to consider, even if you avoid other drawbacks of the class thanks expanding the validity of feats like Righteous Fury (BoED).

Nevertheless, I like the class.. I remember a player of mine that, at the end of an epic campaign, was Barbarian 20/FB 10/Berserk8/Ftr2.

When p*** off, was quite intimidating.

Zach J.
2010-04-09, 10:23 PM
Yeah. I'm thinking that my current character, an elven fighter is going to become a berserker. He's an advocate of orc culture and he already gets kind of crazy during fights. I think it makes sense anyway.

TroubleBrewing
2010-04-10, 01:03 AM
Yeah. I'm thinking that my current character, an elven fighter is going to become a berserker. He's an advocate of orc culture and he already gets kind of crazy during fights. I think it makes sense anyway.

I read this and couldn't help thinking of Being Bane: Eldariel's Guide to Barbarians. Here's a handy link:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105525

His take on elves is of course biased (consider yourself warned :smalltongue:), but funny all the same.

Zach J.
2010-04-10, 10:16 AM
Haha thank you for that, McBannert! I love the barbarian class and I love Batman so I enjoyed that very much.

Zach J.
2010-04-10, 11:37 AM
I'm going to be looking at the class tomorrow and talking it over with my DM and party, but I was just curious as to whether the frenzy ability is too dangerous or difficult to control. Is it something where I could take Iron Will and be able to make the DC the majority of the time or is it going to be a little more difficult than that?

Starbuck_II
2010-04-10, 11:39 AM
You might want to take that feat letting you use Constitution for Will saves in PHB 2. Best part, you no longer fail will saves on a 1.

Zach J.
2010-04-10, 11:40 AM
Thanks, Starbuck. I think my DM has a copy of the PHB II. I'll have to check it out.

BenTheJester
2010-04-10, 01:46 PM
You might want to take that feat letting you use Constitution for Will saves in PHB 2. Best part, you no longer fail will saves on a 1.

Almost, you don't fail FORT saves on a natural 1

(Feat is called Steadfast Determination and has Endurance as a prerequisite)