PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing a Psionic/Monk Ur-Priest

Kylas
2010-04-09, 03:03 PM
I've been scratching my head trying to build an Psionic/Monk that qualifies for Ur-Priest by Level 6. I know my BAB is shot but I would like to utilize Psicrystal-Share Pain-Vigor combo and also some of the "turn" (not turn undead) economizing powers. Is there any way to make this work?

My basic plan is to go 1 Savage Bard/1Erudite/1Monk/2 ardent. Including 1 Flaw this gives me 5 feats:

Human: Psychic Meditation
1: Iron Will
Flaw: Spell focus Evil
Eru1: Psicrystal Containment (along with free Psicrystal)
3: Practised Manifester
6:Combat Casting Confused ???
9:Stunning Fist Confused ???

I have Pretty Decent Stats Due to House rules and the fact we only have 3 Party members.
16/14/12/14/21/14

By 6th level I was hoping to get into Ur-Priest. By 8th Psychic Theurge and by 13th Level I was going to go Sacred Fist? I'm questioning Monk/Sacred fist path cause it looks like I hit that class with a Bab of +5 though my saves are Decent. I was planning on augmenting my combat weakness with the Divine Magic. If a pure Psion Ur-priest is a stronger character does anyone have tips for that build? Also knowing that I will get Cleric spells, which powers should I focus on getting. I will have some access to the Substitute Power ACF.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

EDIT: NO EQUIPMENT SUGGESTIONS PLEASE. I try to make my builds without relying on it :(
Our DM's loot usually consists of daggers, swords, and full plates. Also assume we have no access to any kind of magic shop. This isn't the case strictly speaking but... let's just say if I see a monks belt then I'm probably in the wrong game.

The Glyphstone
2010-04-09, 03:09 PM
As a general character recommendation, Take Craft Wondrous Item when you can, and use it liberally when possible. If your DM is shortchanging you on valuable gear, then the best option is to make it yourself - there's a vast assortment of incredibly valuable equipment for any character who doesn't use daggers/swords/full plate.

Kylas
2010-04-13, 04:31 AM
Well I have considered that but that would still require buying the basic elements of the magical item. It doesn't seem like it's worth the effort.

I took Savage bard is for skills. We start at 2nd level. I tend to plan builds that star in lower levels to be optimal by 15th. I know if any build needs DDM persist divine power its mine. So im wiling to dump monk stuff cause i really want psi ur-priest, but that's a last resort. I know I could take apprentice (criminal) to get bluff as a class skill but this way i save a feat.

Optimystik
2010-04-13, 06:22 AM
1) You have no need for Sacred Fist in this build. The Tashalatora feat (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070212a&page=5) will make your monk abilities (speed and fist) stack with all your psionic classes, so all your levels in ardent and psychic theurge will contribute to your monkishness. Sacred Fist will only cause you to lose manifester levels. Ardent can get by with losing a few more than most, but it's still not a good idea to lose too many.

2) Try to keep your lost ML as low as possible - that way, you won't need Practiced Manifester to patch up your power progression too much. Starting with Savage Bard is a good idea, both for the extra skill points and for Spellcraft. In total, your build loses 5 ML - two to Ur-Priest, and one to each of the base classes. Personally, I think you can live without Erudite (getting a Psicrystal later) and take an extra level of Ardent instead,

3) Speaking of Erudite, be careful - your DM might rule that the free Psicrystal you get is keyed to your Erudite ML rather than your Ardent ML. Make sure he agrees that the feats apply to your Ardent levels.

4) Skill Focus: Concentration >>>>>> Combat Casting/Manifesting. First off, the former will benefit both your psionic and divine sides rather than just one, and second, it applies to a wider variety of uses, such as regaining your focus or suppressing your displays.

5) Put the 21 in Wis, the 16 in Con, a 14 in Dex and a 14 in Int. The remaining 14 and 12 are up to you - 14 in Str will help you early on, while 14 Cha will make you pretty likeable and give you more turning for DMM. I would go with the latter since your Str doesn't matter after Divine Power.

Kylas
2010-04-14, 07:17 PM
Okay thanks for the info how bout I work it like this?

1 Savage bard/2 Monk/2 Ardent/2 Ur-priest/X Mystic Theurge and Ardent

Human: Psionic Meditation
Monk1: Monastic Training
Monk2: Tashalatora
6: Metapsionic feats or Metamagic?
Ditto for 9 and 12

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-14, 07:31 PM
Okay thanks for the info how bout I work it like this?

1 Savage bard/2 Monk/2 Ardent/2 Ur-priest/X Mystic Theurge and Ardent

Human: Psionic Meditation
Monk1: Monastic Training
Monk2: Tashalatora
6: Metapsionic feats or Metamagic?
Ditto for 9 and 12

I'd actually go Human Binder 1/Ardent 3/Ur-Priest 2/Psychic Theurge (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040925b) 10/Ardent +4.

Feats:

1: Able Learner
3: Spell Focus (Evil)
Free: Iron Will (via O.Hole in Complete Mage)
6: Practiced Manifester
9+: Any Divine Feats you want.

Keld Denar
2010-04-14, 08:25 PM
Tashalatora only stacks ONE psionic class with your monk class, the one you have Monastic Training for. Thats a common mistake, but its there if you read it closer.

Kylas
2010-04-15, 08:47 AM
I'd actually go Human Binder 1/Ardent 3/Ur-Priest 2/Psychic Theurge (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040925b) 10/Ardent +4.

Feats:

1: Able Learner
3: Spell Focus (Evil)
Free: Iron Will (via O.Hole in Complete Mage)
6: Practiced Manifester
9+: Any Divine Feats you want.

O.hole? What is that?

Eldariel
2010-04-15, 08:59 AM
Otyugh Hole; a magical location from Complete Scoundrel.

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-15, 11:33 AM

I can never spell that damn word right, so I abbreviate it to the O.Hole.

AKA, the Oh S*** Hole. :smallbiggrin:

Eldariel
2010-04-15, 01:18 PM
I can never spell that damn word right, so I abbreviate it to the O.Hole.

AKA, the Oh S*** Hole. :smallbiggrin:

Makes me think of Red Mage's "A. Hole"

Kylas
2010-04-15, 04:54 PM

Okay I read it...thanks, but no thanks.

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-15, 06:10 PM
I've been scratching my head trying to build an Psionic/Monk that qualifies for Ur-Priest by Level 6. I know my BAB is shot but I would like to utilize Psicrystal-Share Pain-Vigor combo and also some of the "turn" (not turn undead) economizing powers. Is there any way to make this work?

My basic plan is to go 1 Savage Bard/1Erudite/1Monk/2 ardent. Including 1 Flaw this gives me 5 feats:

Human: Psychic Meditation
Eru1: Psicrystal Containment (along with free Psicrystal)
6:Combat Casting Confused ???
9:Stunning Fist Confused ???

I have Pretty Decent Stats Due to House rules and the fact we only have 3 Party members.
16/14/12/14/21/14

By 6th level I was hoping to get into Ur-Priest. By 8th Psychic Theurge and by 13th Level I was going to go Sacred Fist? I'm questioning Monk/Sacred fist path cause it looks like I hit that class with a Bab of +5 though my saves are Decent. I was planning on augmenting my combat weakness with the Divine Magic. If a pure Psion Ur-priest is a stronger character does anyone have tips for that build? Also knowing that I will get Cleric spells, which powers should I focus on getting. I will have some access to the Substitute Power ACF.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

EDIT: NO EQUIPMENT SUGGESTIONS PLEASE. I try to make my builds without relying on it :(
Our DM's loot usually consists of daggers, swords, and full plates. Also assume we have no access to any kind of magic shop. This isn't the case strictly speaking but... let's just say if I see a monks belt then I'm probably in the wrong game.

Savage Bard 1/Monk 2/Ardent 2
Is better.
From there, Ur Priest 2/Psychic Theurge 8.

There's all sorts of good powers. I recommend getting a PrC that gives a domain, and choose animal. Get powers that focus on buffing and helping you.