PDA

View Full Version : [3.5: ToB] Quick Help With Maneuvers...

Zovc
2010-04-09, 07:06 PM
I've never played a sublime character, so I'm not quite sure how this works.

I'm making a level 1 Beguiler//Warblade (Gestalt), and I'm wondering if it matters what weapon I use. I understand that the disciplines have their favored weapons, but does that matter for my purposes?

Feel free to suggest a particular weapon to me either way.

I doubt I can afford any wands, but it might not be a bad idea for me to use a one-handed weapon in case I come across one. (Using a wand in my off hand is the same thing as using it in my main hand, from what I understand.)

What would be ideal maneuvers for this class combination?

Saph
2010-04-09, 07:09 PM
ToB favoured weapons aren't really all that important - they only relate to certain feats. Take whatever you feel like.

As a Warblade, you have to pick a limited number of schools to focus in. Diamond Mind is always a good choice and synergies well with the Concentration ranks you'll have. Iron Heart is also very powerful, and White Raven has some great teamwork maneuvers.

For first-level maneuvers I'd go with Steel Wind, Steely Strike, and Moment of Perfect Mind. Sapphire Nightmare Blade and Leading the Attack are worth considering too. For your stance, Punishing Stance is a good choice for low levels.

Shadowbane
2010-04-09, 07:11 PM
For your stance, I recommend Punishing Stance (Iron Heart), and for your maneuvers I would recommend Steel Strike (Iron Heart), Moment of Perfect Perfect Mind (Diamond Mind) and Stone Bones (Stone Dragon).

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-09, 07:14 PM
There are wand chambers for weapons in dungeonscape. so you can have a two hander for damage with your favorite wand inside it.

Hawk7915
2010-04-09, 07:17 PM
The weapons don't matter much. Most of the feats that care about whether or not you are using the correct weapons aren't really all that great anyways (White Raven Defense, Blade Meditation). ToB lets you get away with going duelist style with a Longsword, too, so you can keep that off-hand open for spellcasting and wands.

As a Beguiler/Warblade, you are going to have a high concentration, so I think Diamond Mind maneuvers are an excellent choice (Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Emerald Razor, Insightful Strike, Ruby Nightmare Blade). Mountain Hammer is always a great offensive maneuver, as is Rabid Wolf Strike and its followers. Iron Heart Surge is a must-have for any Warblade.

After that you can't really do wrong, but I'd suggest focusing on Counters and Boosts instead of strikes, unless the strike is really strong (like the ones listed above). That way you can cast spells or full attack and still use maneuvers. Some good choices here would be Wall of Blades (use attack roll instead of AC), Sudden Leap (free action movement, baby!), and the "concentration check instead of save" line (Mind over Body, Moment of Perfect Mind, and Action Before Thought).

Zovc
2010-04-09, 07:31 PM
For a one-handed weapon, do you prefer a Scimitar or a Longsword? Both of them seem pretty good.

What about between a Falchion and a Greatsword? I probably will just use a two-hander since wands are a bit expensive for a level 1 character.

Does Sapphire Nightmare Blade just make my target flat footed for the attack? It seems like that is what the wording intends.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-09, 07:40 PM
Personally I go with scimitars or falchions, they have lower average damage (3.5 for scimitar and 5 for thefalchion) in contrast to long sword and greatsword, but I like high crit ranges :shrugs:

Saph
2010-04-09, 07:41 PM
For a one-handed weapon, do you prefer a Scimitar or a Longsword? Both of them seem pretty good.

Longsword's probably better, but Scimitar is more fun if you like rolling critical hits.

What about between a Falchion and a Greatsword? I probably will just use a two-hander since wands are a bit expensive for a level 1 character.

Pretty much the same as between Scimitar and Longsword. It's a choice between higher crit range and more average damage. Mathematically, the Greatsword is a bit better, but it's really a matter of personal preference.

Does Sapphire Nightmare Blade just make my target flat footed for the attack? It seems like that is what the wording intends.

Yep, and +1d6 damage.

DeltaEmil
2010-04-09, 07:42 PM
At higher levels, especially with the improved critical feat or a keen weapon enhancement, as well as the keen edge spell, will make scimitars and falchions superior weapons compared to long- and greatswords.

Keld Denar
2010-04-09, 07:44 PM
I'll agree with the above statement. Average damage on a weapon is only moderately important. More important are the other properties of the weapon like reach, threat range, crit multiplier, or other special properties like tripping or +disarm.

I'd personally go with a Falchion over a Greatsword, but thats me.

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-09, 08:40 PM
If you are a warblade, you should always pick up Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Dentures.
You never know when it might come in handy; it's the one weapon they'll never suspect, and you can always retrain it! Everyone loves Ancient Mountain Hammering the steel cage bars with your teeth! :smallcool: