PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing UA Druid Variant (Pathfinder)

Drekk
2010-04-09, 07:21 PM
So I'm giving the Wildshape-less Druid (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druid) a lookover from Unearthed Arcana...Gives up Wildshape for a bunch of Monk and Ranger abilities...Is it less powerful? Obviously...But I think it would fit my character flavor very well, which is a dinosaur-riding halfling archer (or war-slinger for Druid). Currently Ranger is what I've got statted, but the Druid spell list is so tempting, and the sub levels offerred in RoTW could make the char concept work quite well.

So what do you guys think? Is the Druid variant as a mounted warslinger/petmaster with solid spell backup a solid character in your opinions over a dedicated Ranger archer? The medium BAB worries me, but with spells like Wind Tunnel, Kelpstrands, Produce Flame for my pet and other buff/debuffs available...Could tip the balance. Especially when against a creature that laughs at my arrows. Favored Enemy helps...Full Animal Companion means not having to waste a feat on Natural Bond for a Fleshraker...I'm thinking Strongheart Halfling to get Point-Blank and Precise Shot right off the bat, then grab Deadly Aim, Mounted Combat/Archery, then Woodland Archer from RoTW.

Stats: Str: 14 Dex : 18 Con: 14 Int: 11 Wis: 17 Cha: 12 (after racial modifiers) Starting at 1st level, any printed WoTC material available so long as it can be converted to Pathfinder.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-04-09, 07:40 PM
Even without wildshape, Druid > Ranger due to the better list of spells, more spells, higher level spells sooner, spells spells (see a trend here? :smalltongue:), and faster/better animal companion advancement.

Akal Saris
2010-04-09, 08:34 PM
So I'm giving the Wildshape-less Druid (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druid) a lookover from Unearthed Arcana...Gives up Wildshape for a bunch of Monk and Ranger abilities...Is it less powerful? Obviously...But I think it would fit my character flavor very well, which is a dinosaur-riding halfling archer (or war-slinger for Druid). Currently Ranger is what I've got statted, but the Druid spell list is so tempting, and the sub levels offerred in RoTW could make the char concept work quite well.

So what do you guys think? Is the Druid variant as a mounted warslinger/petmaster with solid spell backup a solid character in your opinions over a dedicated Ranger archer? The medium BAB worries me, but with spells like Wind Tunnel, Kelpstrands, Produce Flame for my pet and other buff/debuffs available...Could tip the balance. Especially when against a creature that laughs at my arrows. Favored Enemy helps...Full Animal Companion means not having to waste a feat on Natural Bond for a Fleshraker...I'm thinking Strongheart Halfling to get Point-Blank and Precise Shot right off the bat, then grab Deadly Aim, Mounted Combat/Archery, then Woodland Archer from RoTW.

Stats: Str: 14 Dex : 18 Con: 14 Int: 11 Wis: 17 Cha: 12 (after racial modifiers) Starting at 1st level, any printed WoTC material available so long as it can be converted to Pathfinder.

Eh, it sounds to me like it fits your character concept very well, so I'd say go for it. The build sounds fine as well.

Wild shape was nerfed in PF anyhow, so you're giving up less than a 3.5 druid would lose, while favored enemy was buffed, so you gain more as well. Check with the DM if you can add favored territory to the list as well :P

Drekk
2010-04-11, 05:05 PM
Well I talked to my DM and he said "go for it." So it sounds like I could very nearly out-Ranger a Ranger if I already have many of his best class abilities...Only thing is, the char wouldn't nearly be so great an archer since I miss out on all the bonus feats and full BAB. But yea, SPELLS!

Just have to decide whether I should go for the Halfling Warsling and get a partial Rapid Shot and Quick Draw, or actually take the weapon proficiency for the Longbow. Hum...Or maybe just relying on Shilleilagh and eventually Spikes+Brambles and going quarterstaff warrior/spellcaster/animal buffer, since being decent at archery takes so many feats. Opinions?

imperialspectre
2010-04-11, 05:38 PM
Zen Archery (feat, CWar, gives you Wisdom instead of Dex to ranged attack rolls) and Owl's Insight (spell, SpC, gives you your caster level to Wisdom) make you a far better archer than someone with full BAB generally would be.

Gametime
2010-04-11, 05:42 PM
Zen Archery (feat, CWar, gives you Wisdom instead of Dex to ranged attack rolls) and Owl's Insight (spell, SpC, gives you your caster level to Wisdom) make you a far better archer than someone with full BAB generally would be.

It's actually half your caster level. But yeah, you can still out-archer the hell out of anyone without spells.

Brock Samson
2010-04-11, 05:43 PM
Don't forget you'll get access to the Bite of X series, for a variety of benefits, including upping your Dex, Str, Con (all good options), and some natural armor. Just.... win.