PDA

View Full Version : Concerning the Last Decade (Music and Pop Culture)

Erts
2010-04-09, 08:16 PM
My second thread on the last decade, the 00s, the aughts, the what-should-we-call-it's.

While surfing the web one day, I came across this familiar video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb5aq5HcS1A)
I watched, laughing at the nostalgia and pop culture references.

Then it got me thinking.

In 20 years, pop culture wise, what would the 00s section of this video have looked like? The end of the video is more of a self parody of the RHCP themselves. What music will people think of when they think of the 00s?

What will be the stereotypical person of the 00s? For example; the stereotype of the 50s might have been a leather jacket wearing, Elvis listening teen who went to malt shops and cafes. Rather than just list stereotypes from each decade, I'll move on and sum it up:

What stereotype do you think the 00s will have, and what music will people will think of?

(Yeah, I repeated my questions. :smalltongue:)

Tirian
2010-04-09, 08:50 PM
I think it's been at least twenty years since there has been a ubiquitous cultural norm that you could really make fun of. I pull out my high school yearbooks from the early eighties and, yeah, it's all big hair and shoulderpads -- students and teachers. In the early seventies, everyone had horrible hair and those awful wide-lapel shirts. Since then, there have been fashion disasters and other idiotic lifestyle choices, but it's all been so localized that it's hard to hold an entire half-decade responsible for them.

Okay, one thing. Tattoos and extraneous piercings among the general population is new.

Thrawn183
2010-04-09, 08:55 PM
I'm just glad the pants with holes in them fad is over. Man it was hard to find a new pair of casual pants that didn't look like all the rest of my old clothes.

Lifeson
2010-04-14, 11:14 PM
Emo kids, though I hope that actually won't be the case.

Though the '90s are more grungy than goth, so that's a good sign.

Robert Blackletter
2010-04-15, 02:27 AM
Well in England the stylish Chav look will properly be remembered spoilered to protect your sanity open at your own risk:smalltongue:
http://www.ihatebryanboy.com/bryanboy/images4/burberry_chav.jpg
And sadly this is not photoshopped (or even if it is, i have seen groups of people dress like this) What worst is the head to toe burbary wearers are well dress compare to some i have seen from the chav sub-culture

rakkoon
2010-04-15, 02:47 AM
Video is blocked in my country (lousy politicians) but I think the too small baseball cap is something to remember. I've seen tons of kids that look like this twit

http://i.ehow.com/images/a04/pv/i0/stretch-baseball-hat-200X200.jpg

and are considered cool.
Thank the Gods I don't have male offspring...

Robert Blackletter
2010-04-15, 02:57 AM
Video blocked? In england? we not that bad yet. Also the early oo goth/ nu metaler look may be remembered.

Avilan the Grey
2010-04-15, 03:15 AM
The 00 decade was an explosion of the teenage subcultures. Going from very few (50ies) to not that many (60ies onwards) it fractured completely after the 1990ies.

To paraphrase a comic book writer I love: "You can't keep track of the kids these days. it was easier when we were kids (80ies, my remark): Everything with guitars was acceptable. Everything else was crap!"

The Geek subculture is in itself split in tens of subcultures. And so is every other subculture, be it the Manga kids, the Goths, the Emos, the...

The 90ies, as pointless and boring a decade as it was (except politically with the fall of the Eastern Block) had Grunge as the large, defining thing, the Depressing Rock in general, and the dance club hits (why has not the basic dance music evolved at all since the death of the (horrible) Stock, Aitken and Waterman sound in 1992, btw?). the 00's has Nothing and Everything. At once.

Actually, I think that is what defines the decade: Everything for Everyone. All the time.

Robert Blackletter
2010-04-15, 03:32 AM
Sorry but dance not evolved at all? that a big step how can you say this 92' classic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qriH-8yeqcE
is
similar to this (out 1999)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSYxT9GM0fQ
or this (2004)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eoRxHdxtxw&feature=related

Wile I'm not a fan of dance, the genre has evolved as much as any other. Through you are right there hell of a lot of sub cultures out there but many can easily be labelled with what it a sub culture of. e.g Skater are often a fusion of punk and hip styles, but oftebn have a stronger punk leaning in dress.

Avilan the Grey
2010-04-15, 03:45 AM
Sorry but dance not evolved at all? that a big step how can you say this 92' classic
is
or this (2004)

Actually, yes. Especially the last two are actually extremely similar.

Edit: Oh btw, speaking of dress codes for cultures:
On my bus from work most days there is one Rasta girl and one Goth(ish) girl (not friends AFAIK) that look basically identical except for color scheme. Same hairstyle (one red, green and blonde; one Black and blue), same nose piercing. same basic type of clothing except one is in brown-green colors and one is in black colors.

Cracks me up every time.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-04-15, 04:30 AM
Defining 00's thing was the scene kids - they jumped onto limited amounts of mainstream anime, emo, metal, electronica, indie, whatever else they got their mitts on.

Or I'd say so anyway.

The standard metal head is pretty common around these parts too.

I'm just glad the pants with holes in them fad is over. Man it was hard to find a new pair of casual pants that didn't look like all the rest of my old clothes.

See, out here those are just jeans you've worn a lot. Then they tear, but it doesn't really bother you.

Hell, I'm currently wearing a pair of jeans ripped by usage.

Robert Blackletter
2010-04-15, 04:32 AM
[QUOTE=Robert Blackletter;8301029]Sorry but dance not evolved at all? that a big step how can you say this 92' classic
is
or this (2004)

Actually, yes. Especially the last two are actually extremely similar.

Dang i said there different enough but try this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeJNAynmwe0) in stead of tiesto (the last one.)

On my bus from work most days there is one Rasta girl and one Goth(ish) girl (not friends AFAIK) that look basically identical except for color scheme. Same hairstyle (one red, green and blonde; one Black and blue), same nose piercing. same basic type of clothing except one is in brown-green colors and one is in black colors.

Cracks me up every time.

Yeah i know i use to go to what was known locally as goth night, and trinh to tell the difference between certain sub-culture was almost inpossible some time. It funny when you have friends in different sub-cultures (as i did) bitch between about what the other is wearing. it is also why i want this t-shirt (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sirexkat/1127231077/)

Nameless
2010-04-15, 05:02 AM
Emo kids, though I hope that actually won't be the case.

Though the '90s are more grungy than goth, so that's a good sign.

I actually found 90’s grunge and indie kind of depressing. Out of all the fashions and sub-cultures, for me they were by far the most boring as well. As far as the music goes, I suppose some of it was okay actually. I’d pick Goth over over grunge or Indie any day though. I find Goth more interesting, and has a variety of good music that leaks over into many different genre's. (But you know, this is all very opinion-based)
At the moment here, we have a sort of renaissance of Indie. Much less depressing the 90’s indie but I dislike the music. As much as most of them hate to admit it, they stole a bunch of stuff of Emo and made it more casual.

To be honest, most people say that Emo was the main thing of the 00s, but in London that was never really the case. Emo’s were more laughed at, even by kids who dressed exactly like them and listened to the same music. I think I’ll remember it as the decade of Chav, Indie renaissance and “let’s steal everything from Emo, make it mainstream and then laugh at them”.

Avilan the Grey
2010-04-15, 05:39 AM
I actually found 90’s grunge and indie kind of depressing. Out of all the fashions and sub-cultures, for me they were by far the most boring as well. As far as the music goes, I suppose some of it was okay actually. I’d pick Goth over over grunge or Indie any day though. I find Goth more interesting, and has a variety of good music that leaks over into many different genre's. (But you know, this is all very opinion-based)
At the moment here, we have a sort of renaissance of Indie. Much less depressing the 90’s indie but I dislike the music. As much as most of them hate to admit it, they stole a bunch of stuff of Emo and made it more casual.

To be honest, most people say that Emo was the main thing of the 00s, but in London that was never really the case. Emo’s were more laughed at, even by kids who dressed exactly like them and listened to the same music. I think I’ll remember it as the decade of Chav, Indie renaissance and “let’s steal everything from Emo, make it mainstream and then laugh at them”.

I agree. Me, growing up in the 80ies, found the 90ies music in general and Grunge in particular whiny and depressing, even pretentious.

...I too pick Goth over Grunge or Indie; it looks cooler, and Goth chicks are hotter than Grunge chicks any day :smallbiggrin:

I also agree about the Emo thing; it is an isolated scene that takes themselves very seriously, and everyone else is laughing at them.

Oh and as for Jeans with holes in them? They are back...!

(And as a guy, again, that grew up in the 80ies, I do find it sexy at times, depending on who is wearing them and where the tears are... :smallwink:)

Dang i said there different enough but try this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeJNAynmwe0) in stead of tiesto (the last one.)

Yeah i know i use to go to what was known locally as goth night, and trinh to tell the difference between certain sub-culture was almost inpossible some time. It funny when you have friends in different sub-cultures (as i did) bitch between about what the other is wearing. it is also why i want this t-shirt (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sirexkat/1127231077/)

I agree that is different than the other examples you gave me, but instead it is very similar to other dance hits.

As for T-shirts:

Personally I want this T-shirt that I found online:
"Real Goths do not wear black! We sack Rome!"

Nameless
2010-04-15, 05:47 AM
I demand we bring back 80's glam! Quickly, take out the hairspray and spandex!
Also, what the Hell happened to the 80's bands? As soon as 1989 was over, bands like Bon Jovi and Aerosmith decided to cut their hair and produce awful music. 1990 was like the year everyone turned into zombies. And then these "boy bands" came along and used it to their advantage! It’s a conspiracy!

rakkoon
2010-04-15, 06:10 AM
I went out in the nineties and we had two options: youth clubs with punk & Metal or normal clubs with hardcore & trance (I went to both :smallsmile:)
Now they makes retrospectives and show the pop songs.
Nobody ever went out and danced to pop songs!
And they are the ones that represent my decade?
Brother...

Avilan the Grey
2010-04-15, 06:13 AM
I went out in the nineties and we had two options: youth clubs with punk & Metal or normal clubs with hardcore & trance (I went to both :smallsmile:)
Now they makes retrospectives and show the pop songs.
Nobody ever went out and danced to pop songs!
And they are the ones that represent my decade?
Brother...

I think the point is that the pop songs are what you remember. The "Trance and hardcore" is not exactly the music you have on your iPhone. It is not the music that makes you nostalgic. That means that even if they did not go out and dance to the pop songs then (which is why I never went to clubs, since clubs didn't play those), it is what they go out and dance to now, since those songs is what "brings back the 90ies" for them.

Edit: and of course, the large majority of people did listen to the music on the radio, not in clubs, so they never listened to Trance or Hardcore, period.

Robert Blackletter
2010-04-15, 06:16 AM
I agree that is different than the other examples you gave me, but instead it is very similar to other dance hits.

Not surprising as these were hits in there day and would have influance other hits, the point of the excise was to show that dance as changed/ evolved from it early days. personally i hate the genre, thinking that there is very little originality in it with most D.J copying the leaders but there are some d.j fatboy slim and prodigy for example, that do evolve the genre. Too say that it not changed since the 90's is mistaken at best and a outright lie at worst.

As for T-shirts:

Personally I want this T-shirt that I found online:
"Real Goths do not wear black! We sack Rome!"

Awesome! :smallbiggrin:

Avilan the Grey
2010-04-15, 06:22 AM
Not surprising as these were hits in there day and would have influance other hits, the point of the excise was to show that dance as changed/ evolved from it early days. personally i hate the genre, thinking that there is very little originality in it with most D.J copying the leaders but there are some d.j fatboy slim and prodigy for example, that do evolve the genre. Too say that it not changed since the 90's is mistaken at best and a outright lie at worst.

Awesome! :smallbiggrin:

Okay, not changed at all was an exaggeration. It IS a genre that has been more static than I anticipated, especially since the changes earlier (from Boogie to Rock to Pop to Disco to "80ies dance music" to ...these hard-rythm sounds that have been going on for almost 20 years now).

...And I thought so :)

Btw
One of my favorites (that I wear) is "Yes I hear voices and they don't like you". :smallwink:

Robert Blackletter
2010-04-15, 06:31 AM
Okay, not changed at all was an exaggeration. It IS a genre that has been more static than I anticipated, especially since the changes earlier (from Boogie to Rock to Pop to Disco to "80ies dance music" to ...these hard-rythm sounds that have been going on for almost 20 years now).

...And I thought so :)

You were merely exaggeration, damn. I know way to many people that honestly believe that. And yes i agree apart from a few innovators like faithless the genre is fairly static but there has been some change.

Btw
One of my favorites (that I wear) is "Yes I hear voices and they don't like you". :smallwink:

Similar to one of mine
"your just jealous cos the pink penguins talk to me"

megabyter5
2010-04-15, 06:35 AM
I think if they try to make a pop culture nostalgia video for the last decade, it will begin with an overexcited teenage girl talking about the Jonas Brothers and Hannah Montana, and then someone will take out a comically oversized rocket launcher and blow her up with purposefully terrible special effects. Then it will have a montage in which everything that was popular about said decade is mocked by someone else, because it was in fact the decade of pop culture mockery much more than any real pop culture.

That first part is just because I would love to see a scene like that. But really, the widest fad this decade was the fad of openly hating more specific fads.

TheFallenOne
2010-04-15, 06:40 AM

Cracks me up every time.

Subcultures: Colour-coded for YOUR convenience!

Oh, I tracked down the Goths sack Rome shirt with google, really like the line. Though I'm not sure if posting the link here is fine by the rules

Avilan the Grey
2010-04-15, 06:51 AM
I think if they try to make a pop culture nostalgia video for the last decade, it will begin with an overexcited teenage girl talking about the Jonas Brothers and Hannah Montana, and then someone will take out a comically oversized rocket launcher and blow her up with purposefully terrible special effects. Then it will have a montage in which everything that was popular about said decade is mocked by someone else, because it was in fact the decade of pop culture mockery much more than any real pop culture.

That first part is just because I would love to see a scene like that. But really, the widest fad this decade was the fad of openly hating more specific fads.

...That has more to do with the Internetz than the music culture.
These days the pure hate can be harnessed, grown and spread globally in minutes. All we could do was to sit and badmouth things we didn't like on the phone, or maybe in (snail) mails to MTV*...

I had someone arguing that Hannah Montana, Britney Spears and a few others is typical for the 00's but they obviously either are too young to remember, or have forgotten things like Kylie Minogue, Samantha Fox, Sabrina... As for Boy Bands... Monkees anyone?

*Once upon a time in a country far far away, there was a TV channel that played music videos. Believe it or not!

Closet_Skeleton
2010-04-15, 07:00 AM
We're still in the 00's, there's no year 0 so decades begin in years ending in 1.

Avilan the Grey
2010-04-15, 07:56 AM
We're still in the 00's, there's no year 0 so decades begin in years ending in 1.

Nevertheless, I think it mostly burns down to age differences. I am 37, and to me nothing significant (except for the Internet) has happened, culturally, since the Kurt Cobain incident (and never liked Nirvana, but it was a significant event).

My mother-in-law has a theory about aging that both my wife and I believe in:
When the new generation of comedians are not funny, you are old. We are both at that spot now where we look at almost all new Stand-up and realizes "Boy these guys completely unfunny". I guess I finally grew up :smallbiggrin:

Robert Blackletter
2010-04-15, 07:59 AM
Nevertheless, I think it mostly burns down to age differences. I am 37, and to me nothing significant (except for the Internet) has happened, culturally, since the Kurt Cobain incident (and never liked Nirvana, but it was a significant event).

When the new generation of comedians are not funny, you are old. We are both at that spot now where we look at almost all new Stand-up and realizes "Boy these guys completely unfunny". I guess I finally grew up :smallbiggrin:

37! that near death :smallbiggrin: To be fair I'm 26 and I find most new comedians bad. Hell i got friend pointing out the might boosh etc. and i just want to cry, so I'm hoping your theory wrong.

Avilan the Grey
2010-04-15, 08:08 AM
37! that near death :smallbiggrin: To be fair I'm 26 and I find most new comedians bad. Hell i got friend pointing out the might boosh etc. and i just want to cry, so I'm hoping your theory wrong.

Well my wife (who is older than me) likes them and I don't, but we have slightly different tastes. Most new ones we both agree are bad though.

Edit: Oh and about youth cultures: I do get the vampire thing a bit, but I wonder if that is just because I am "geeksexual", which means I have always found fangs, pointy ears, scales, green skin, four arms or forked tounges sexy on women :smallbiggrin:

Nameless
2010-04-15, 08:27 AM

I don't think we are actually. That's like saying the year 1980 was still in the 70's.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-04-15, 08:33 AM
Also, what the Hell happened to the 80's bands? As soon as 1989 was over, bands like Bon Jovi and Aerosmith decided to cut their hair and produce awful music. 1990 was like the year everyone turned into zombies. And then these "boy bands" came along and used it to their advantage! It’s a conspiracy!

Well I demand the entire world go black metal

Hurry up.

(:smalltongue:)

Although I'll agree with how amusing it is that 80's rock died so quickly, let us not forget the lessons of the Prophet Mustaine, who stayed as true as possible through the withering nineties.

valadil
2010-04-15, 08:41 AM
The only subcultures I noticed in the last decade were the d-bags and hipsters. Their emergence may not have anything to do with the year though, as I noticed both groups when I finished college and moved to the city (well, outskirts of the city. I'm less than a mile from the subway though, and that qualifies as city in my book).

Coplantor
2010-04-15, 10:25 AM

Nameless, you did it, you managed to make me love you too.

Tirian
2010-04-15, 11:00 AM

That's okay, all I need is Louis CK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk).

The neat thing about hitting that age is that the people who grew up at the same time as you are starting to be the established decision makers. To give one example, I have a special fondness for The Powerpuff Girls because Craig McKracken grew up watching the same good cartoons as me and thinking "The world needs more of THAT."

Tyrant
2010-04-15, 12:40 PM
Edit: Oh and about youth cultures: I do get the vampire thing a bit, but I wonder if that is just because I am "geeksexual", which means I have always found fangs, pointy ears, scales, green skin, four arms or forked tounges sexy on women :smallbiggrin:
You mean there are people who don't find that attractive?

Telonius
2010-04-15, 12:49 PM

It goes far, far deeper than that. Boy bands? They're barbershop quartets in disguise! Sometimes they throw in a fifth person just to throw you off the trail.

Avilan the Grey
2010-04-15, 02:52 PM
You mean there are people who don't find that attractive?

It's hard to believe, I know.

Closet_Skeleton
2010-04-15, 03:07 PM
I don't think we are actually. That's like saying the year 1980 was still in the 70's.

1980 was in the 70s.

ForzaFiori
2010-04-15, 03:15 PM
1980 was in the 70s.

No. It was in the 197th decade, but was NOT part of the 1970's. The idea of the "X0s", where X is any number, represents the time period between X0 and X9. Therefor 1970 was part of the 70s, and 1980 was part of the 80s. However, if you are deciding which decade it was in, 1970 was the last year of the 196th decade, and 1980 the last year of the 197th decade. We are in the start of the 10s, and the end of the 200th decade.

Edit: All decade numbers are assuming decade 1 was from 1AD to 11AD. If you count BC, then the decade will be MUCH higher.

JonestheSpy
2010-04-15, 06:09 PM
Maybe I missed it, but I'm surprised no one's mentioned the fact that the most important musical trend of the 90's was the emergence of hip hop into the mainstream. I mean, like it or not, that was huge, and far more long lasting than grunge or anything else.

I don't think there was really any one trend that defined the 00's. It mostly seemed to be about fragmentation - technology made it easier than ever to pay attention to one's own little subculture and ignore everything else. Album sales plummeted and people downloaded individual songs. Short lived trends like hyphy and crunk appeared and disappeared with amazing rapidity.

Some particular things I liked/found interesting:

Green Day's album American Idiot. One of the last great thematic albums to achieve real mainstream success, it was one overarching story instead of a collection of singles. And it fricking rocked.

The exploration of the outer bounds of rock and roll, combining it with unlikely forms and creating some truly amazing syntheses. I'm thinking of stuff like Gogol Bordello's gypsy rock, Rasputina's use of the cello as the dominant instrument instead of the guitar, and the Dresden Dolls' punk cabaret.

The rediscovery of American bluegrass and other roots music. Spearheaded by the success of the movie Oh Brother Where Art Thou, old time American music gained a huge new audience, and largely redefined the whole Country genre. (Johnny Cash's 'American Recordings' series contributed a lot to tis phenomenon as well).

Avilan the Grey
2010-04-15, 10:16 PM
Maybe I missed it, but I'm surprised no one's mentioned the fact that the most important musical trend of the 90's was the emergence of hip hop into the mainstream. I mean, like it or not, that was huge, and far more long lasting than grunge or anything else.

I don't think there was really any one trend that defined the 00's. It mostly seemed to be about fragmentation - technology made it easier than ever to pay attention to one's own little subculture and ignore everything else. Album sales plummeted and people downloaded individual songs. Short lived trends like hyphy and crunk appeared and disappeared with amazing rapidity.

Some particular things I liked/found interesting:

Green Day's album American Idiot. One of the last great thematic albums to achieve real mainstream success, it was one overarching story instead of a collection of singles. And it fricking rocked.

The exploration of the outer bounds of rock and roll, combining it with unlikely forms and creating some truly amazing syntheses. I'm thinking of stuff like Gogol Bordello's gypsy rock, Rasputina's use of the cello as the dominant instrument instead of the guitar, and the Dresden Dolls' punk cabaret.

The rediscovery of American bluegrass and other roots music. Spearheaded by the success of the movie Oh Brother Where Art Thou, old time American music gained a huge new audience, and largely redefined the whole Country genre. (Johnny Cash's 'American Recordings' series contributed a lot to tis phenomenon as well).

Hip Hop: You know, you might be right; it definitely depends on where you lived though. Sweden has never been a hotspot for Hip Hop, so we mainly caught the "backdraft" (such as MTV playing way too much of it, one reason they lost viewers here).

Trends: Huh? I don't even know what those are...! But yes, you are right; the Internet made it possible for everyone, no matter how obscure your taste was, to find likeminded.

Green Day: Depends on where you live, again. Over here... Not so much. Just another American album on the charts, and not even very high up.

"Weird" Rock: Missed that one too.

Old time music: I agree to a point, and I would even go as far as it causing a small breach in the wall against Country. Country music has always been a thing you laugh at here; not only the kids, but almost everyone, has looked down on it and disregarded it as "that thing American farmers listens to". Now, at least, many people recognize it as one of the mayor inspirations for rock music.

Coplantor
2010-04-16, 07:07 AM
Hip Hop: You know, you might be right; it definitely depends on where you lived though. Sweden has never been a hotspot for Hip Hop, so we mainly caught the "backdraft" (such as MTV playing way too much of it, one reason they lost viewers here).

Trends: Huh? I don't even know what those are...! But yes, you are right; the Internet made it possible for everyone, no matter how obscure your taste was, to find likeminded.

Green Day: Depends on where you live, again. Over here... Not so much. Just another American album on the charts, and not even very high up.

"Weird" Rock: Missed that one too.

Old time music: I agree to a point, and I would even go as far as it causing a small breach in the wall against Country. Country music has always been a thing you laugh at here; not only the kids, but almost everyone, has looked down on it and disregarded it as "that thing American farmers listens to". Now, at least, many people recognize it as one of the mayor inspirations for rock music.

Here in Uruguay, the same happened with MTV, everything was cool untill it turned into nothung else than hip hop and reality shows.

Trends? My god there are som many! But the 00's will probably be remembered just by one of those, like most people think of the sixties as hippies but forget the mods or other trends.

Even though American Idiot was a huge hit, it was mainly liked by those who weren't Green Day fans. Girls loved it because of Wake mu up When September Ends. Those who would become Emos liked Boulevard of Broken Dreams. Pretty much every Green Day fan I knew said it was the worst Green Day album ever, I liked a few songs, but overall? Meh.

The "Weird Rock" is something that was missed around here, pretty much because most people lost interest of foreign music, and even those who kept an interest, only the most musicaly savy know about the "weird rock"

Country is for most people around here still seen as the music that American Farmers dance to

Lord Raziere
2010-04-16, 08:22 AM

hah! that means the death of trends! I hate trends you see, this decade has been about fragmentation meaning the concept of trends are dying out- as well as those people who always have to be "fashionable", meaning everyone can have their own interests and not be sucked into the conformity of trends and popularity! individualism hooooo!!

JonestheSpy
2010-04-16, 12:17 PM
hah! that means the death of trends! I hate trends you see, this decade has been about fragmentation meaning the concept of trends are dying out- as well as those people who always have to be "fashionable", meaning everyone can have their own interests and not be sucked into the conformity of trends and popularity! individualism hooooo!!

Well, I don't know about that. There's still trends, and fashion seems as big a deal as ever.

I was more thinking about the lack of big musical innovations and the corresponding styles/subcultures that accompanied them. In past decades, we saw the appearance of soul, surf, psychedlic, funk, ska, reggae, disco, punk, metal, and hip hop, to name the ones that immediately leaped to mind. The Aughts didn't really seem to have any equivalent movement, at least nothing that really reached the wider culture, except for maybe the aforementioned bluegrass/country/folk revival.

Tirian
2010-04-16, 12:47 PM
Well, I don't know about that. There's still trends, and fashion seems as big a deal as ever.

Agreed. But there is also fragmentation in society. You can identify when there was a surge in punk, goth, emo, gangsta, and whatever else, but we've lost the generational conformity that was pervasive from I don't know when through the late seventies or early eighties. I "blame" it on cable television, because there was such an explosion of expression that was available that in college I had the opportunity to look at my generation's version of wide lapels and bell bottoms and say "Uh, no, I don't think so" without looking like an outcast.

Moff Chumley
2010-04-16, 01:11 PM
(why has not the basic dance music evolved at all

:smallannoyed:

1983 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK0Pi4wC8Hk)

1999 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YCoSF-voHY)

2007 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xao_IFohe_c)

2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPwCmhvmHeM)

If you want to tell me that you don't hear any difference, be my guest. But to someone who listens to and plays the genre, House is one of the fastest moving styles of music out there.

I think the point is that the pop songs are what you remember. The "Trance and hardcore" is not exactly the music you have on your iPhone. It is not the music that makes you nostalgic.

I was a little kid when it was released and hadn't heard it until early 2009, but the second song I posted above brings back memories I didn't even have. :smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

Defining 00's thing was the scene kids - they jumped onto limited amounts of mainstream anime, emo, metal, electronica, indie, whatever else they got their mitts on.

Agreed.

The only subcultures I noticed in the last decade were the d-bags and hipsters. Their emergence may not have anything to do with the year though, as I noticed both groups when I finished college and moved to the city (well, outskirts of the city. I'm less than a mile from the subway though, and that qualifies as city in my book).

If by d-bags you mean scene kids, agreed.

To me, the Sceneies and Hipsters (two sides of the same coin if you ask me) defined the 00s.

valadil
2010-04-16, 01:35 PM

If by d-bags you mean scene kids, agreed.

To me, the Sceneies and Hipsters (two sides of the same coin if you ask me) defined the 00s.

I'm not totally sure what scene kids are. By d-bag I mean someone with designer jeans, flip flops, a white collared shirt with the top 3-5 buttons left undone, aviator shades, spiked hair, a spray on tan, and possible steroid and/or cocaine use. Usually seen in clubs buying drinks for uninterested women. I'd guess d-bags are the alpha males of the scene kids.

Avilan the Grey
2010-04-16, 01:47 PM

1983 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK0Pi4wC8Hk)

1999 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YCoSF-voHY)

2007 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xao_IFohe_c)

2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPwCmhvmHeM)

If you want to tell me that you don't hear any difference, be my guest. But to someone who listens to and plays the genre, House is one of the fastest moving styles of music out there.

Nitpick: My original post on the subject was music post Stock Aitken and Waterman, aka ca 1992 onwards.

Moff Chumley
2010-04-17, 12:45 PM
I'm not totally sure what scene kids are. By d-bag I mean someone with designer jeans, flip flops, a white collared shirt with the top 3-5 buttons left undone, aviator shades, spiked hair, a spray on tan, and possible steroid and/or cocaine use. Usually seen in clubs buying drinks for uninterested women. I'd guess d-bags are the alpha males of the scene kids.

Not particularly. Scenies are... well, you ever read My Immortal? Yah. Them. :smallannoyed:

Nitpick: My original post on the subject was music post Stock Aitken and Waterman, aka ca 1992 onwards.

I just included Rockit for the sake of comparison. The evolution of electronica from Electro to House to Electro House to whatever Huoratron is.

Jorkens
2010-04-17, 06:02 PM
From a UK perspective, at least, it's kind of notable that the last 15 years or so hasn't really thrown up a big vaguely grassroots pop culture movement comparable with mod, psychedelia, punk, new wave / synthpop, rave or whatever.

I guess a lot of it has to do with the internet: it suddenly makes it a lot easier for people to band together in a really niche scene rather than going along with what's big at the time because it seems to be the only game in town.

I've also kind of got a suspicion that the internet also makes it a bit easier to get bogged down in history - I mean, with the existance of online music shops, discogs.com marketplace, fleabay, iTunes, mp3 blogs, reissue labels and the like, it's actually fairly easy for me to satisfy a lot of my music fanboy nerd impulses by tracking down really old tunes, and developing a massive expertise on west african 70's psych-funk or the latest Baltimore club tunes or early UK acid house or the italian prog scene, without really having to pay much attention to what's going on now in my own back yard. Which 20 years ago just wasn't possible - people kind of had to build something new and distinct and local because a lot of the time there wasn't really much else they could get hold of.

Maybe this is getting a bit speculative, though....

ForzaFiori
2010-04-17, 06:08 PM
Maybe thats what the 00s were about. Retro became so much more popular. People wore retro clothes, music from the 80s, 70s, 60s, etc was listened to more, etc.

Avilan the Grey
2010-04-18, 02:51 AM
Maybe thats what the 00s were about. Retro became so much more popular. People wore retro clothes, music from the 80s, 70s, 60s, etc was listened to more, etc.

To a point I think this is correct; especially when it comes to fashion. Since the mid 90ies, nothing new has come around in mainstream fashion. Instead we have "rehashed 60ies", "rehashed 70ies" and now "rehashed 80ies".

The oddest thing is that it is not the same decade all over though. Interior design trends are (at least in Scandinavia) very "70ies light" right now while the clothes are "80ies light".

Terraoblivion
2010-04-18, 03:26 AM
Not in Denmark. Interior design in the seventies here was all brown and a particularly dirty looking orange. We aren't seeing much of that in Danish interior design these years. Not sure exactly how to describe what we do see, but definitely not Danish 70s interior design.

And i guess you could say that the 00s are when post-modernism became mainstream. Because there really is a streak of post-modern mixing and matching and being self-important about not really caring to youth culture in that decade.

Avilan the Grey
2010-04-18, 03:29 AM
Not in Denmark. Interior design in the seventies here was all brown and a particularly dirty looking orange. We aren't seeing much of that in Danish interior design these years. Not sure exactly how to describe what we do see, but definitely not Danish 70s interior design.

...That is why I call it "70ies Light": There is a lot of dark brown - Orange - Red - "Apple Green" combinations going on (just looking at what IKEA are pushing over the last 2-3 years).

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-04-18, 07:44 AM
What about dubstep? That's very much 00s. Personally I hate it, but I know people who are into it, and it certainly is different.

Terraoblivion
2010-04-18, 08:25 AM
Not in Denmark. Danish interior design focus on bright wood mostly, with black being more common than darkbrown. Very "classic" Scandinavian, really. Also tends towards fairly dull.

JonestheSpy
2010-04-18, 12:14 PM
What about dubstep? That's very much 00s. Personally I hate it, but I know people who are into it, and it certainly is different.

Eh, always just seemed like another subgenre of electronica to me, not a distinct musical category.

And i guess you could say that the 00s are when post-modernism became mainstream. Because there really is a streak of post-modern mixing and matching and being self-important about not really caring to youth culture in that decade.

Yeah, I think that sums it up realy well.

Moff Chumley
2010-04-18, 01:06 PM
Well, with looking at much more recent musical trends (since, at earliest, 2007) I think we're starting to see an end to the "Hey, does anyone remember Kraftwerk/Zeppelin/Devo/Neil Young/Et Cetera" trend that's been dominating electronica, hard rock, alternative, and folk for the last ten/fifteen years. For instance, in each of those categories, there's stuff like Justice & Deadmau5, Fleet Foxes & Bon Iver, Gorillaz & The xx, and so on and so forth.

With any luck, this new decade should continue the trend.