PDA

View Full Version : [PF/ToB] Swordsage Help

Shadowbane
2010-04-09, 08:39 PM
I'm going to be playing a TWF Swordsage from level 1 to 20, and I wanted to know what feats/stances/maneuvers I should take. We'll be using Pathfinder's feat progression and their versions of feats found on the Pathfinder SRD (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/), as well as their races. I'd like to stay pure Swordsage for all 20 levels.

So, at first level, human swordsage with these stats:

Str 15, Dex 20, Con 17, Int 14, Wis 16 and Cha 13.

I took the Child of Shadow stance, and my maneuvers are Wolf Fang Strike, Counter Charge, Burning Blade, Sudden Leap, Sapphire Nightmare Blade and Clinging Shadow Strike.

Also at first level, I took two flaws so I have a total of four feats: Adaptive Style, Weapon Finesse, Shadow Blade and Two Weapon Fighting.

As I level up, what powers and stances should I make sure to get?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-09, 08:49 PM
If you are going two-weapon fighting, try to specialize a bit into Tiger Claw, they got some really nice manoubers (particularly boosts) that synergize or enchance TWF. From the top of my head, pouncing charge, dancing moongoose, raging moongoose. Also a two level dip (IIRC) into Blood claw master, eliminates the penalties from TWF-ing.

If you want to have a constant benefit from Shadow Blade, use daggers(and if you can try to get manyfanged daggers) since they are both tiger claw and shadow blade weapons.

Might also want to invest some manoubers in diamond mind to eventually get time stand still for two full attacks per round.

Hope that helps

Shadowbane
2010-04-09, 08:56 PM
That does, thank you. I'm having particular trouble with stances, so if someone could tell me the stances that are absolute must haves I'd be extremely appreciative. ^_^

Eldariel
2010-04-09, 09:03 PM
That does, thank you. I'm having particular trouble with stances, so if someone could tell me the stances that are absolute must haves I'd be extremely appreciative. ^_^

No such thing. Punishing Stance, Assassin's Stance, Blood in the Water and such are all nice for a TWFer; basically any generic damage buffs. Also, you'll probably want at least one detection stance in your arsenal for...scenarios where you encounter something unexpected and are denied magical detection one way or another (Hearing the Air or Hunter's Sense, really).

Rest I'd spend on utility. Stance of Alacrity is incredible, Stance of Clarity and Flame's Blessing are very useful in the backpocket, Wolf Pack Tactics and Press the Advantage offer nice mobility benefits, etc. Shifting Defense as written is quite insane though slightly less so by the probable RAI of moving AFTER the attack. It depends on what exactly you want.

But ones I wouldn't skip? Hunter's Sense/Hearing the Air (one or the other) and Stance of Alacrity. That's about it. And it really just depends too much to say anything conclusive.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-09, 09:03 PM
well since the highest lvl swordsage I hava played is level 6 I can't help too much with that.. one that I enjoy is dance of the spider (climb speed 20).... maybe hunter's sense is great for Out of combat uses. Leaping dragon stance is good if you take the jump based manoubers of tiger claw çBalance of the sky is air walk but is far off into the future (level 8 stance)

Shadowbane
2010-04-09, 09:12 PM
Thank you both very much for your help! :smallsmile: