PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Are there any particularly powerful feats for a level 1 Beguiler//Warblade?

Zovc
2010-04-09, 11:34 PM
So, yeah, I'm still working on my Beguiler//Warblade, and I was wondering if there were any particularly strong feats that I should take.

Being a Warblade gives me Weapon Aptitude, so technically, any weapon focused feat (including Exotic Weapon Proficency) is a lot better. I'm considering EWP (Bastard Sword) for that reason, So that I can use the sword in one hand if I happen upon a combat-useful wand. That does seem a little suboptimal, I'm not gonna lie.

Skill Focus (Concentration) seems pretty kool, seeing as I have Moment of Perfect Mind, and will eventually have its later incarnations for the other saves.

...and I don't really know what else to do, unless I get Spell Focus (Illusion) or (Enchantment).

I only have my first-level feat available, because I'm playing a Lesser Tiefling, but I could take two flaws to gain another feat, and if I really needed another feat after that, I could play a human (or some other race that gets a bonus feat).

DragoonWraith
2010-04-09, 11:42 PM
Well, if you can take two feats you can take Martial Study (Clinging Shadow Strike) or Martial Study (Shadow Blade Technique), and then take Shadow Trickster, but that does nothing until you get a Shadow Hand stance to use (and then you have to stay in it). Island of Blades is an excellent Shadow Hand stance (and Child of Shadow is also awesome, as is the 3rd level Assassin's Stance), so if you had 3 you could take Martial Study, Martial Stance, and Shadow Trickster, and you get +2 to Illusion save DCs and +2 to damage when you flank a target or use Sneak Attack (boosted by either Island of Shadows or Assassin's Stance). Still, that's a lot of investment for not a huge benefit.

But it's about the only thing I can think of that is specifically appropriate for a Beguiler//initiator gestalt.

Of course, there are better options. Arcane Strike would be very solid.

Jack_Simth
2010-04-09, 11:42 PM
With that level of SAD? Faerie Mysteries Initiate (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Faerie_Mysteries_Initiate,all) will do wonders.

Fishy
2010-04-09, 11:44 PM
There's Versatile Spellcaster- great for any spontaneous caster, and may or may not allow a first level Beguiler to cast second-level spells.

Draz74
2010-04-09, 11:58 PM
Arcane Strike would be very solid.

Quoted For Truth.

Beyond that, I'd think it just depends what style of Warblade fighter you want to become as you level up. If you're planning on some TWF (e.g. with Stormguard Warrior), better start taking those feats. If you're planning on Ubercharging, take Power Attack. And so on.

Keld Denar
2010-04-10, 12:20 AM
Arcane Strike requires 3rd level spells, so thats a 6th+ level feat for you. Definitely pick it up when you do though.

Zovc
2010-04-10, 12:50 AM
Versatile Spellcaster... where is that from?

Keld Denar
2010-04-10, 01:51 AM
Races of the Dragon, page 101

Zovc
2010-04-10, 02:42 AM
Races of the Dragon, page 101

Okay, I read it... I don't see how that lets me cast spells of a higher level than I actually 'can' cast, though. I don't think I "know" second-level spells at level 1.

tyckspoon
2010-04-10, 02:47 AM
Certain classes- Beguilers, Dread Necromancers, Warmages, probably a few others- don't have spells known. They have a set list that they automatically know, and the wording on that feature is usually written something like "When you gain access to a new level of spells you automatically know all the spells on your list of that level." So: Versatile Spellcaster gives you access to 2nd level spells (or rather, a 2nd level slot, which is roughly the same thing. You may have to add Heighten Spell or Precocious Apprentice to make your DM agree.) Gaining access to 2nd level spells instantly teaches you all of your 2nd level spells.

JeminiZero
2010-04-10, 03:40 AM
Even if your DM rules that you do not know your 2nd level spell list, you can still use 2nd level slots bycasting metamagiced 1st level spells. For example, you could take Sculpt spell, and then cast sculpted Colour Spray by burning 2 1st level slots.

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-10, 03:57 AM
Even if your DM rules that you do not know your 2nd level spell list, you can still use 2nd level slots bycasting metamagiced 1st level spells. For example, you could take Sculpt spell, and then cast sculpted Colour Spray by burning 2 1st level slots.

Alternately, you could take heighten spell with it and cast a level 2 color spray.

Zovc
2010-04-10, 03:58 AM

That's a really good point! I was considering taking the feat simply just to cast more first level spells, but that is a very interesting spin on things.

Amphetryon
2010-04-10, 07:03 AM
but I could take two flaws to gain another featTwo flaws for one feat? Am I reading this oddly, or is this a houserule, or...?

If it were my character, I'd be using Stone Dragon techniques and clouding my opponent's perceptions with the Beguiler abilities.

deuxhero
2010-04-10, 08:25 AM
How's your wisdom? Arcane discipline (Travel) (I forget the requirements, may not be able to take it at level 1)

What about Versatile spellcaster? You know everything on your list, so you can gain spells one level higher than normal by sacrificing two of your highest level spells.

aivanther
2010-04-10, 01:41 PM

But, wouldn't that require 3 feats (Versatile Spellcaster, some metamagic spell, Sculpt spell)? Sculpt, iirc, requires another metamagic feat.

edit: I guess you could load up on flaws, though I've yet to have a DM that didn't scoff at the idea of free feats for flaws.

Zovc
2010-04-10, 03:09 PM
Two flaws for one feat?

You're reading that correctly. You only get one feat, regardless of whether or not you take more than two, though.

Endarire
2010-04-10, 03:17 PM
As DM, I encourage people to take flaws for feats. Mind you, the flaws are more severe but the feats are also more noticeable.

Amphetryon
2010-04-10, 04:17 PM
You're reading that correctly. You only get one feat, regardless of whether or not you take more than two, though.

OK, so it's a houserule. Sorry, I wasn't clear on how you'd originally stated it.

AslanCross
2010-04-10, 05:17 PM
Get a Wand chamber for your sword. It only costs 100 (or something) GP and it allows you to wield your sword and wand at the same time.

deuxhero
2010-04-10, 05:31 PM

Take vulnerable (-1ac). AC is poor as a method of avoiding attacks in the first place (grab the lesser blinking item, 20% miss chance off anything, way better than AC) and 1 ac is a very minor hit to you. Also take the one that gives penalties to ranged attacks, unless you are a bloodstorm blade, none of your manuvers work on ranged attacks and full bab+only needing to beat touch ac makes it a non issue.