PDA

View Full Version : Shadowy Illumination Item

bartman
2010-04-10, 10:10 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew of a spell that would simulate low light conditions? I am trying to make an item that will help with a shadowdancer, or Telflammar Shadowlord. It is basically a spell cast onto a grey ioun stone, so that he would be able to use his abilities in bright light (note, Daylight would negate this item.) I am thinking this would be a cantrip, or a 1st level spell, since it does not give the miss chance that Darkness does, merely creates an area of shadowy illumination.

I have never made up a spell before, but if one does not exist, would someone be able to homebrew one for me?

Thank you

Jack_Simth
2010-04-10, 10:17 AM
Shadowy Illumination causes a miss chance of itself. Darkness is exactly the spell. I think there's a cantrip in... Underdark, I think? That causes actual darkness. Hmm....

bartman
2010-04-10, 10:25 AM
My issue with darkness is that when I am walking with my party in the town in daylight, i dont want to be a blob of black, im just looking for something so that if we happen upon combat at high noon in a plain i can use my shadow abilities. A floating umbrella could probably work, but i was wondering if anyone else had come up with something a little better than that

Jack_Simth
2010-04-10, 10:38 AM
"If darkness is cast on a small object that is then placed inside or under a lightproof covering, the spell’s effect is blocked until the covering is removed. "

QuantumSteve
2010-04-10, 10:41 AM
Darkness isn't a blob of black in 3.5, it's a blob of candle light.

Asheram
2010-04-10, 10:46 AM
Isn't there a spell in sandstorm that effectivly is a sheet blocking out the sun and creating shadow?

Edit. Portable Shade it was, an item for 2000gp

bartman
2010-04-10, 11:28 AM
hmm, ok, I must have been thinking of a different spell than Darkness. either the portable shade, or the darkness on an ioun stone would probably work just fine for my purposes. Thank you all

peacenlove
2010-04-10, 11:33 AM
The shadowcaster mysteries black candle (a fundamental) and dusk and dawn (a 1st level mystery) (the second is EXACTLY what you seek and has a duration of 10 minutes / level) are what you should look into.

Swooper
2010-04-10, 11:42 AM
Portable Shade is pretty worthless actually - it just acts as a parasol, which negates some Sandstorm-specific heat dangers. No concealment. Although, this might be enough to activate shadowdancer abilities and such.

Edit: Also, Jack Simth, I found no spell in neither Underdark nor Drow of the Underdark which creates proper darkness, cantrip or otherwise. As far as I know (and I hope I'm wrong), there is no RAW way to create actual darkness in 3.5 short of Limited Wish :smallsigh:

peacenlove
2010-04-10, 11:49 AM
Edit: Also, Jack Simth, I found no spell in neither Underdark nor Drow of the Underdark which creates proper darkness, cantrip or otherwise. As far as I know (and I hope I'm wrong), there is no RAW way to create actual darkness in 3.5 short of Limited Wish :smallsigh:

Blacklight (SpC) 3rd level spell and Shadow Canopy (Lords of Darkness but may have been updated to 3.5 somewhere) 6th level spell.

bartman
2010-04-10, 12:02 PM
hmm, while they are pretty much ideal, i can get the same sort of effect with a darkness spell, without introducing new mechanics. Thank you though
-Edit: wow, lots of posts while i was making pasta, this was for Peace's original post
-Edit 2: I think I am going to go with an inert ioun stone with darkness cast on it, maybe see about getting the radius reduced to 5 or 10 feet so it only affects me.

thank you all for your help

Jack_Simth
2010-04-10, 12:44 PM
Portable Shade is pretty worthless actually - it just acts as a parasol, which negates some Sandstorm-specific heat dangers. No concealment. Although, this might be enough to activate shadowdancer abilities and such.

There's a cantrip for it... can't remember WHERE I saw it though ... but it's basically the polar opposite of the Light spell.

peacenlove
2010-04-10, 02:49 PM
There's a cantrip for it... can't remember WHERE I saw it though ... but it's basically the polar opposite of the Light spell.

It has the very imaginative name of ... No light. It is in book of vile darkness but its rather underwhelming even for a cantrip.