PDA

View Full Version : Rolemaster - Spell Law

randomhero00
2010-04-10, 04:54 PM
Anyone played it? Played a magic user? (spell law is the book for spells)

Tips? Thoughts? Is it a good system? What spell lists are good? Which to avoid?

I may be getting into it soon. I have no experience with it, and am wondering what to expect. The rules are quite different from what I'm used to.

Tyrrell
2010-04-11, 01:35 PM
i played it back in 1988 . It appeared to me to be a reaction to the issues of verisimilitude with 1980's D&D.

I enjoyed it at the time, characters had access to a great deal of weak magic but only casting a big spell or two could use up their juice for the day. (Magic items and high stats could ameliorate this issue but not eliminate it).

It was my opinion at the time that Rolemaster characters were about as competent as AD&D characters of half their level.

Critical hit charts are fun, don't get too attached to your character.

The game has a staggeringly large amount of bookkeeping compared to most of what people play (even what we played back then). Note that this might combine poorly with the don't get too attached to your character style combat system if you have an aversion to doing lots of figuring.

There are hundreds of ways to tweak the game to be more to your GM's liking, but none of them make it particularly light.

With the rules I played (with Rolemaster companion 2) the skill list was huge in comparison with the amount of points that a character got I believe that this was cleaned up in later editions.

Actually, it's exceedingly likely that so much has changed in the last 22 years that anything I say could be dead wrong for the game you join.