PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Curse of the Crimson Throne - Edge of Anarchy

EvilBloodGnome
2010-04-10, 05:45 PM
A light mist of rain was coming down on the crowded, dishveled streets of Korvosa (http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Korvosa) in the early morning, the sun peeking over its skyline craggy with uneven architecture. At the corner of one of these narrow, looming streets was the home and fortune telling business of one Varsian woman Zellara. Although at the moment this home is absent of life, it lays in wait for the first steps of ...well, the first steps of something with great promise for excite.

That morning in Korvosa people were to stir, 4 people of uncommon lives bound together by a common hate, even if they do not know it. Upon their person is a token of this, a Harrow card that is used for telling fortunes that now makes the fortune for those that would find them. On the back of these cards is scrawled a cry for help and a call for vengeance.

The Message
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/7587/handoutcards1.gif

The cards found by whom:
Eldred Martanius: A card bearing the image of a strange man in exotic robes bearing many trade goods in a pack labeled "The Foreign Trader"
Bron Hartigan: A card with the image of an anvil bearing a hammer set before a blazing forge labeled aptly "The Forge."
Luc Toulouse: A card with the label "The Publican" with below the title a large old man behind a pub bar with a lined and distinguished face.
Elaida Moonflower: And finally a card with the image of a rabbit in a cloak with a crown and a broken sword titled "The Rabbit Prince."

The messages sent and the die cast, the little shop lays in wait. It was, after all, but morning and it would be all day before even Zellara were to appear there. Just a little while longer...

EvilBloodGnome
2010-04-12, 12:02 PM
Now, you will find your cards in an obvious place where only you would find it. For example, a wizard may find it in their spellbook as they do their morning studies or a fighter tucked into the strap around the scabbard of their sword. Post where you found yours along with around what time you get to the fortune shop. (It's a fairly commonly known shop in case you have no knowledge of Korvosa, most pub keepers or merchants could tell you where it is). Once everyone's posted I'll try to get the next post then, feel free to socialize if you'd like before I post.

Havelock
2010-04-12, 02:06 PM
The sun was already high in the sky, the rays of the afternoon sun filling the room from the window in south west, as Elaida awoke. Others might perhaps want a window to the east, to wake with the morning light, only reason she had to be up for that would be to break into houses that people would be in at night, but not at day. Besides, a window facing east, in Bridgefront? Such niceties where reserved for "better people", and would cost more.

Oh well, let's find some food and get on with it...what's on the floor there? She distinctly remembered not having laid a piece of paper in front of her door, "Rabbit Prince, some kids stole the cards of some varisian fortune teller and had their fun, eh? Hmm, no, not quite".

She still had some hours before sunset, she mused as she studied the card on the table, she had read the message enough to know it by heart, by now, twice over. Obviously not been subtle enough in my inquiries it would appear, or Zellara is considerably more skilled than anyone outside the society that I know of, note to self, steal more cheese there wasn't really enough of it for a proper meal, the bread had gone stale as well, a loaf, too, come to think of it, been a while since the Pseudodragons did anything noteworthy, shopping time.

Picking up her gear, sword, daggers, armor, bow would attract attention, as would the sword, but she could put it in her backpack, not the bow though. Cloak to hide the armor.

Passing through north point market, she produced her mirror, capturing the rays of the descending sun, reflecting an awful lot of it in the correct direction, just for long enough to attract the right kind of attention, then conceal it and move out of the way...and here we go.

The sun was disappearing behind castle Korvosa as she entered Lancet Street chewing on a freshly stolen apple, nothing tastes better than freshly stolen red apples, she also snagged some saltet meat and better cheese than she normally got to eat, good start of the "day", the pseudodragon rampage an added touch of flair, best distraction, ever.

Tossing the eaten apple into an alley, she approached the door Now, let's find out where all this leads

dathom
2010-04-12, 06:22 PM
It had been two weeks since the proud Bron had turned in his resignation to the Sable Company commander. Sad to see his chance to fly go, Bron saw no other choice if he was to find the despicable Gaedran Lamm and make him pay for what he had done to him so long ago. Unfortunately, these past two weeks had uncovered noting on the petty crime lord. It seemed that Lamm was just as good at hiding out now as he had been all those years ago. However, today the young cavalier found something that changed his life.

After getting a small meal at the inn he was staying at, Bron visited the stables to check on Melody. Having been issued to him upon entering into the Sable Company training program, the two had grown close as they had learned to move and fight together and though she was legally property of the Company, their bond had grown so strong that she nearly refused any other rider, making her useless as a training horse. So here she was, with the man who saw her more as a companion than a simple mount. Taking care to make sure she was fed and her body was in healthy condition, Bron never paid the extra gold to have her taken care of, preferring to do the work himself.

It was when he was about ready to place the saddle on Melody's back that he noticed it. A Harrow card caught between the leather connecting the stir-ups with the saddle. Taking the card of the Forge from its hiding place, Bron was about to find one of the stable hands and demand why he had placed the card there until he noticed the writing on the reverse side. Flipping the card over, he was shocked to see that it dealt with his search. Not a believer in Harrow, but non-the-less intrigued, Bron quickly prepared Melody before mounting and heading over to Lancet Street.

Bron had intentionally arrived early at the small street to get a look at what he was getting into. Seems innocent enough, thought Bron as he passed the address on horseback. Spending the next few hours moving through the neighborhood, getting a lay of the land, Bron then returns to the address, close to sunset and dismounts, sticking close to Melody as he waited for what would happen next.

TheDarkDM
2010-04-12, 07:43 PM
Eldred had been up most of the night, skipping his trance as he often did. There was just so much more that could be accomplished during that troublesome time than sleep. Bending over the small collection of beakers and smoking reagents, he cursed inwardly, not for the first time, over the unsuitable nature of his current lab. Were any passerby to see it, all they would notice was a slightly smoking hovel along the waterfront, disguising the true genius that was at work inside. Eventually, however, the experiment was complete, and Eldred raised the concoction to his mouth and swallowed. For a moment, the deep brown liquid slid over his tongue and he sighed before sputtering and throwing the remainder of the liquid against a deeply stained wall. Once again, the perfect cup of coffee had eluded him. Packing his alchemist's kit back together though, Eldred found something that managed to salvage the day. At the very bottom the the kit's box case was one of those quaint Harrow cards, and Eldred was about to throw it out when he noticed the message. The change was as sudden as a summer storm, with his distracted eyes focusing into dagger points at the card. For several slow minutes he regarded the card, before throwing it in a beaker of acid and retiring to his lice ridden mattress to trance. The night would demand his full concentration.

As the sun fell from the sky, Eldred made his way along Lancet Street, drawing curious glances from the townsfolk who did not recognize the various powders and vials that were strewn in bandoleers about his person. When they noticed the crossbow though, they quickly cleared the way, and so Eldred made good time. Eventually, he reached the house of the fortune teller, and knocked three times on the door.

♠Spade♠
2010-04-13, 10:19 AM
Luc groaned as light from the late afternoon sun finally penetrated the alley he typically slept in. As he checked his belongings, he found a random harrow card. That was odd, as he didn't own a deck. It showed an old man at a bar and he grunted, annoyed and wondering if this was someone's idea of a joke. Turning it over, his anger turned into perplexity as he read the message. Luc didn't know where Lancet Street was, but he was sure he could find it. Heaving himself to his feet, he picked up his glaive and went looking for an inn to drink his first meal of the day.

Later, he approached the address from the card. Trudging up the street, he was budgeting his remaining coin, figuring out how long until he would run out. It wasn't going to be very long. Well, he thought, let's see what happens here. The sun was beginning to slide under the horizon when he knocked on the indicated door.

dathom
2010-04-13, 02:33 PM
As Bron stood in front of the shop, he looked up and down the street, feeling a little odd standing outside with Melody. Knocking a few times with no response, Bron decides to test the door knowing that if he was gonna wait, he would rather wait inside. If the door is unlocked, he will move inside, leaving Melody outside with a small bag of feed in case the horse got hungry.

EvilBloodGnome
2010-04-14, 01:00 PM
The door was not only unlocked but very slightly ajar so that anyone who would knock would find the door open for them.

The cozy chamber within this small home is filled with a fragrant haze of flowers and strong spice. The haze comes from several sticks of incense smoldering in wall-mounted burners that look like butterfly-winged elves. The smoke itself seems to soften edges and gives the room a dream-like feel. The walls are draped with brocaded tapestries, one showing a black-skulled beast juggling men’s hearts, another showing a pair of angels dancing atop a snow-blasted mountain. A third tapestry on the far wall depicts a tall hooded figure shrouded in mist, a flaming sword held in a skeletal hand. Several brightly-colored rugs cover the floor, but the room’s only furnishings are a wooden table covered by a bright red throwcloth and several elegant tall-backed chairs. A basket covered by blue cloth sits under the table.

The first to arrive will find this on the table:
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/8809/handoutnote2.gif

Sitting under the message is a somewhat singed card of the Foreign Trader with another message on the back of the note. "Oh, and Eldred? That Harrow card was my grandmother's, it was not kind of you to try to destroy it. Although I do not see how you could think it would work."

Havelock
2010-04-15, 07:32 AM
I am first? Unless the others were told to show up late, the wait should not be long Elaida thought, taking a seat and a bit of bread.

dathom
2010-04-15, 08:17 PM
Walking through the door, harrow card in hand, Bron looks to the rooms occupant with a bit of shock as he takes in the whole situation. "Did you send me this?" he asks as he holds up the harrow card for Elaida to see.

Standing just inside the door is a tall, broad shouldered man wearing finely polished chainmail with a shield slung across his back and a war hammer at his belt. His slightly rigid posture and scanning gaze betray the military training he has received.

TheDarkDM
2010-04-16, 02:52 AM
When Eldred notices the door ajar, his eyes narrow dangerously. Cocking his crossbow, he moves to the side of the doorframe and bursts into the house in a flurry of speed. "All right you mongrels come out and fight!" he yells, before noticing Elaida and Bron sharing some cheese at the table. Looking quizzically towards the two, he lowers the crossbow.

"Hmm, well you're obviously not robbers. Too well armed to be simple acquaintances...huh, another Harrow card. Were you two summoned by the fortune teller as well?"

Havelock
2010-04-16, 03:56 AM
Walking through the door, harrow card in hand, Bron looks to the rooms occupant with a bit of shock as he takes in the whole situation. "Did you send me this?" he asks as he holds up the harrow card for Elaida to see.

Standing just inside the door is a tall, broad shouldered man wearing finely polished chainmail with a shield slung across his back and a war hammer at his belt. His slightly rigid posture and scanning gaze betray the military training he has received.

No, I did not. Elaida replied, casually studying the newcomer, not giving much iniative to start a conversation.

When Eldred notices the door ajar, his eyes narrow dangerously. Cocking his crossbow, he moves to the side of the doorframe and bursts into the house in a flurry of speed. "All right you mongrels come out and fight!" he yells, before noticing Elaida and Bron sharing some cheese at the table. Looking quizzically towards the two, he lowers the crossbow.

"Hmm, well you're obviously not robbers. Too well armed to be simple acquaintances...huh, another Harrow card. Were you two summoned by the fortune teller as well?"

At the sigth of the crossbow, Elaida's left hand intinctively grasps something fastened on her forearm, obviously a weapon of some sort, it remains there for several seconds after the imminent threat has passed. So it appears she confirms dispassionately.

♠Spade♠
2010-04-16, 12:13 PM
Seeing the door ajar, Luc hesitated and entered upon hearing voices inside. Glaring at the lot of them, he held up his card and asked "Which one of you thought it would be humorous to insult me before we've even met?" Glancing about the room, he recognized the mounted burners as depictions of the goddess Desna. He had suspicions about the tapestries as well, but was unsure. Taking a second look at the three of them, he thought Shelyn help me, they're so young. Well the elf appears to be young, anyway. "Well?" he prompted.

Like I said, I have suspicions about those tapestries.
Knowledge Religion:[roll0]

EvilBloodGnome
2010-04-16, 02:06 PM
The tapestries, as curious as they appear, are purely decorative, the whimsy of some tapestry weaver who wanted his tapestries to have demons and angels on them.

((After a little more getting aquiantedness and I'll get the post up. Just be awkward to do it now))

dathom
2010-04-16, 04:43 PM
Not finding the woman at the table too talkative, Bron simply shrugs before taking a seat and having some of the cheese. But before he could even take a bite, he promptly looses his grip on the piece of cheese as Eldred comes barreling through the door, weapon out. Knocking his chair over in the chaos, Bron leaps to his feet and draws his war hammer before realizing that the intruder was another one summoned here, like himself. Picking his chair up, just as Luc entered and made his demand, Bron responds "I am thinking that would be none of us." as he raised his own harrow card and flipped it around to show the message that was written on the other side.

Once everyone had calmed down and everything was silent once more, Bron decided to break the awkward silence by saying, "Well, we might as well introduce ourselves while we wait for our host. My name is Bron Hartigan, former member of the military academy. It is nice to make your acquaintances."

TheDarkDM
2010-04-16, 05:48 PM
Since the confusion with the crossbow, Eldred had taken a seat at the table. Now, however, he stands with a flourish.

"And I am Eldred Martanius, Alchemist extraordinaire"

Havelock
2010-04-17, 03:36 AM
Elaida...street performer the half elf hesitated slightly, smiling a bit as she said it, leaving much about her full vocation implied.

♠Spade♠
2010-04-17, 03:24 PM
"I am Luc, religious troubleshooter, professional drinker and somehow still an adherent of Shelyn." Looking at each of the others in turn, he asked "I know why I am here, but why are you all here?"

EvilBloodGnome
2010-04-17, 04:32 PM
After Luc introduced himself, the door opened to reveal a attractive middle-aged Varsian woman with her long dark hair up in a kerchief. She walked cooly to the other side of the table and seated herself, speaking in a cool, clear voice.

"Thank you all for coming, my friends, and for putting up with my unconventional means of contacting you. My name is Zellera, a simple fortune teller. I have reasons to remain hidden, you see—a terrible man would have my harmed greatly if he know I was looking for help. If you've managed to look at the message I sent, which I think you have, then you should know who this man is. Gaedren Lamm is a man who has wounded many... a year ago this, my grandmother's Harrow deck and only means of income, was stolen by a pickpocket. My son, Eran, tracked them down and found them in the employ of Gaedren. My son managed to retrieve my deck, but I do wish he hadn't. He... he killed my son." She paused for a moment, her cool voice breaking slightly.

“I sought help from the Guard, but they turned me away. And so I asked around. I paid bribes. I consulted my Harrow deck for advice. And recently, I was rewarded—I found out where Gaedren dwells. He can be found in an old fishery north of here at Westpier 17, where he trains his abducted children to be pickpockets and counts his stolen treasures."

“And now, I need your help. I cannot hope to face this man on my own, and the Guard moves so slowly that if I were to go to them, Gaedren would certainly know of their coming well in advance. Even if they did arrest him—what guarantee would I have he would be punished? This criminal has evaded the law for decades. But you know of these frustrations as well, for word on the street has it that Gaedren has wronged each of you, too. So there we are. It is time for him to pay.”

She took a breath in, the speech she had rehearsed in her head not an easy one. Sliding The Foreign Trader from under the note on the table she shuffled it back into her deck. "If you would please pass back your cards, they do mean quite a lot to me. I may even grant you a reading if you think its guidance would help."

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3306/zellara.png

Havelock
2010-04-17, 05:20 PM
Word on the street? Elaida raises an eyebrow as she produce the card and put it in fron of her.Why do I get the feeling that is not an accurate statement?

dathom
2010-04-17, 06:35 PM
Bron wasn't surprised at all when the woman mentioned Gaedran Lamm. He had resigned his post and given up his future to hunt the foul man, expending much of his resources to to so. However, when the Varisian woman mentioned the child pickpockets, Bron's jaw clenched and he gripped the tables edge with a contained fury. So that slug continues to use children as he had used me, he will pay he thinks to himself as he silently attempts to calm himself, placing his card on the table and sliding it over to the fortune teller. In as calm of a voice as the man could muster, Bron says, "Well, you can count me in. I have a history with this foul man that I would see resolved. Please give us a reading and tell us what our fate holds."

Though not a believer in Harrow readings, Bron looked on intently, willing to oblige the mysterious woman for the information she had shared.

EvilBloodGnome
2010-04-18, 04:30 PM
"I did indeed hear it, Elaida, although it was the cards that told me who to ask." She nodded at Bron, waiting patiently for Eldred and Luc to voice their opinions.

Havelock
2010-04-18, 04:45 PM
So if the cards told you who to ask, did they tell you if Lamm holds what I seek?

TheDarkDM
2010-04-18, 04:59 PM
At the mention of Lamm, Eldred suddenly seems to pay attention to the conversation. His right hand absently drifts towards a bandoleer of vial on his vest before he realizes the motion and stops them.

"Indeed I have been wronged by Lamm. If you can give me an accurate location, rest assured he will suffer a suitable punishment."

♠Spade♠
2010-04-18, 10:16 PM
Bolting up from the chair, Luc asked "You're sure he is at Westpier 17? Is he there now?" as he started to move towards the door.

dathom
2010-04-19, 10:09 PM
Turning to Luc as the man starts to head for the door, Bron says, "I would wait if I were you. When I was just a lad, Gaedran was well guarded, with his own crew of miscreants who did as he commanded. I would think it better to think of a plan before storming off to face that cockroach on his own ground."

♠Spade♠
2010-04-20, 01:11 PM
"I wasn't planing on a frontal assault, nor was I intending on allowing him a chance to argue. I will end the man, end of story."

Havelock
2010-04-20, 03:42 PM
Elaida dispassionately observed the brewing argument. If you could do it alone, why would our host summon the other three?

♠Spade♠
2010-04-20, 03:58 PM
"That would be her purview, not mine. I care not her reasons so long as it results in that villain's death."

Havelock
2010-04-20, 05:07 PM
The young half-elf sighs How much do you actually know about Lamm?

For that matter, what does Elaida know:
Knowledge(Local): [roll0]+whatever circumstance bonuses for having looked into that matter with some effort.

Pausing for as much as she dared to test his attention spanWhile your determination is admirable, I would prefer it that you don't jepordise things for the rest of us by warning him off should you fail.

EvilBloodGnome
2010-04-21, 12:44 AM
There isn't a lot to know about Lamm that someone who had be harmed by him that was interested in knowing wouldn't know. He is a small time crime boss that uses thugs to extort and captures orphans to work as pickpockets called "Gaedren's Lambs." He's smart, knowing who to bribe and to stay low enough to be quite successful without being too noticeable. He's a slippery fish, though, so not a lot else is known.

"It would be wise to plan, but he is indeed in Westpier 17 as we speak. The fishery is undoubtedly guarded, although I do not know how many he has under his employ." She shuffled her cards idly but intricately, the cards jumping from hand to hand and ending up on the table. "If you seek guidance, a reading may be useful, but is in no means required. If you wish to leave immediately, you may. If you wish to plan and stay the night, I can provide rooms for you."

Havelock
2010-04-21, 11:26 AM
I would prefer that we did a scouting mission before doing anything else, a reading could be helpful as well, I suppose. Looking at luc with a slightly sinister smile I could always tag along with our crusader here and hide in the shadows, see how many of Lamm's thugs shows up to subdue him, if they are smart they will not kill him outright but bring him for the man to torture information out of him, such as where he learned of the location of his hideout and who else knows.

Pausing a bit, and changing tone to encourage more cooperativeness when continuing.

You can afford to wait a little bit to increase your chances of success, no? Anyways, Zellera, I need to ask you something in return for my services against Lamm, while I find it likely that my search will end with his demise, I do not know for certain, as such, in case he does not hold what I seek, I want you to consult your cards to determine where I should look next.

♠Spade♠
2010-04-21, 06:21 PM
Luc crossed his arms and stared dispassionately back at Elaida. "If Lamm had a large following, I think the guards would have acted by now. Now, if your reading doesn't take too long and you don't slow me down, I might not be opposed to your company."

dathom
2010-04-21, 06:28 PM
Bron looked on in agreement with what Elaida said, having lived and worked in the foul man's company, he says to Luc, "Don't underestimate that man. He is smart and knows not only how to cover his tracks, but has many children working for him. They are so scared of him and his gang that they are more likely to do what he says than to fight against him. So if you must go tonight, a confrontation is not what must happen. Not only so that Gaedran doesn't have a chance to escape if you fail, but so that the children aren't harmed in the process."

Havelock
2010-04-22, 06:54 PM
The guards? You mean the arm of the law enforcement that gives reduced sentences to the thieves guild? Only the stupid, inexperienced and expendable ends up in Longacre, Lamm is certainly not in either cathegory

♠Spade♠
2010-04-24, 01:52 AM
"I suppose I have more faith in the city's protectors than you do."

Havelock
2010-04-24, 06:52 AM
Then clearly, you do not know the city protectors well

TheDarkDM
2010-04-29, 03:44 AM
Having listened enough, Eldred stands abruptly.

"Enough! We can decide to do once we get there. For now, let us at least ascertain whether or not Lamm is truly located where we suspect him to be. If we can catch him by surprise by showing up without tipping off proper channels, so much the better.