PDA

View Full Version : Iron Chef Optimisation Challenge III

Heliomance
2010-04-10, 05:55 PM
Basically, a challenge to create an optimised, flavourful character, using a "secret ingredient" of a particular PrC, revealed only once the competition has started. You will need to present your build at at least one of the following points: 5th level, 10th level, 15th, 20th, and a "sweet spot" that you feel is the high point of the build. Feel free to present as many of these as you like, and please give a rundown of the build's abilities and playability at all of the levels you didn't show. The rules are as follows:

1. Menu: For most challenges, the "secret ingredient" will be drawn from Core plus Completes. There will, from time to time, be special challenges that showcase secret ingredients from other books--for example, the XPH.

2. Kitchen: Competitors will be free to use any official 3.5 rulebook in constructing their builds. Dragon magazine is disallowed, and Unearthed Arcana is allowed; but see Elegance below.

3. Cooking Time: Further to discussions in the previous thread, the secret ingredient will be announced from the get-go. Contestants will have until Monday 19th April to create their builds and PM them to the Chairman (most likely me, at least for the first few.) Builds will then be posted simultaneously, to avoid copying.

4. Judging will be based on the following criteria, with each build rated from 1 (very poor) to 5 (exemplary) in each area: Originality, Power, Elegance, Use of Secret Ingredient.

Power level is up to you. Cheese is acceptable, but should be kept to a sane level unless you're showcasing a new TO build you've discovered. In the words of one of my predecessors, a little cheddar can be nice, but avoid the mature Gruyere unless you're making a cheese fondue.

Elegance could bear a little elaboration. It basically measures how skillfully you put your build together, and whether you sacrificed flavour for power. We're cooking here - if your dish doesn't taste good, it doesn't matter how well-presented it is. Use of flaws is an automatic point lost in this category. Other things that will cause lost points here are excessive multiclassing, and classes that don't fit the concept - using Cloistered Cleric in a front-line melee fighter, for example, will lose you points.

5. Builds will be posted anonymously, in order to avoid the potential of bias towards a particular competitor. For this reason, please don't put your name in the build, as I'm likely to miss it when anonymising the entries!

6. Please don't post or speculate on possible builds until the "reveal," in order to avoid spoiling the surprise if a particular competitor is producing a build along those lines.

7. Leadership is banned; we're producing a meal, not a seven-course banquet for a hundred diners.

So! Who wants to sign up as a contestant, and who wants to sign up as a judge? Looking for about 5 judges and as many contestants as feel like playing!

This is our first special contest, with the secret ingredient from a non-Complete book. An interesting prestige class which I've only ever seen abusing Festering Anger for NI strength, it's the Book of Vile Darkness's Cancer Mage!

Allez optimiser!

Judges:
9mm
arguskos
Temotei221
the humanity
Iamyourking
the_archduke
(Grynning)

Contestants:
volthawk
magic9mushroom
Apollo1776
Akal Saris
Vulaas
rogueboy
Adumbration
Chineselegolas
Iferus
TerrickTerran
Hand_of_Vecna
The Vorpal Tribble
ShneekeyTheLost
FishAreWet
BooNL

Volthawk
2010-04-10, 05:57 PM
First time I've tried anything like this, but I'll sign up.

9mm
2010-04-10, 06:41 PM
In b4 infinite strength Hulking Hurler...

I'll judge.

magic9mushroom
2010-04-10, 06:54 PM
Well, obviously, taking NI Str will get us 0 points for elegance.

I'm probably in.

Volthawk
2010-04-10, 07:14 PM
Sorry if this sounds obvious, but how are stats generated?

Heliomance
2010-04-10, 07:23 PM
32 point buy

Volthawk
2010-04-10, 07:24 PM
32 point buy

OK, thanks.

Apollo1776
2010-04-10, 07:26 PM
Sign me up, I gotta work on my minmaxing.

arguskos
2010-04-10, 10:05 PM
Reporting for duty as a judge again, Heliomance! :smallcool:

Temotei
2010-04-10, 10:07 PM
Ooh...I'll be a judge. :smallamused:

Zergrusheddie
2010-04-10, 10:10 PM
Cancer Mage is an interesting choice. The other Prestige Classes were generally difficult to create competent characters. This time, will be hard to get any point in elegance considering Infinite Strength is damn easy with Festering Rage.

arguskos
2010-04-10, 10:18 PM
You decide to abuse Festering Anger? I'll give you a zero on Elegance, tanking your score. We all know how to do that, give us something fresh. :smallwink:

the humanity
2010-04-10, 10:59 PM
I'll try judging... couldn't come up with anything last time, and I love this class much more than Psibond Agent.

Akal Saris
2010-04-11, 01:26 AM
I'll compete again, though poisons are more my thing than diseases are =P

Vulaas
2010-04-11, 02:44 AM
Registering as a competitor, as I proved far less reliable as a judge >.<

(really, really sorry on that)

rogueboy
2010-04-11, 03:16 AM
I'm going to at least try to put something together for this one again. Making my final graduate school commitments and figuring out plans for the summer, so I don't know how much time I'll have to put into this, sadly.

Adumbration
2010-04-11, 03:19 AM
Signing up as a contestant. Let's see, now...

Chineselegolas
2010-04-11, 04:35 AM
Signing up as a contestant. Dunno how to make something interesting at the moment, but its been far long since I made a character.

Iferus
2010-04-11, 04:43 AM
I'll sign up!

Iamyourking
2010-04-11, 05:19 AM
I'm up for judging.

TerrickTerran
2010-04-11, 07:27 AM
Why not, I'll give it a shot.

the_archduke
2010-04-11, 08:56 AM
I want to play again!

Actually, can I judge this time instead?

Grynning
2010-04-11, 01:09 PM
Looks like there are already 5 judges signed up, but you can count on me for judging if needed. Last time only 3 out of the 5 judges actually appeared, so extras won't hurt.

Hmm...Cancer Mage...I no longer own a BoVD but I imagine I can dig one up. this'll be interesting.

Heliomance
2010-04-11, 01:31 PM
That's plenty of judges! No more! Let's get some more contesgtants in, shall we?

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-04-11, 07:39 PM
I'll be participating again. Sorry I didn't chime in till now internet is still hit or miss.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-11, 07:42 PM
About time I entered a contest. Count me in.

AbyssKnight
2010-04-11, 09:22 PM
Is the Dragon Magazine Compendium allowed?

I ask for the clarification because Dragon Magazine is not allowed, but the Compendium was an actual book and "all 3.5 books are allowed."

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-11, 10:32 PM
Well, since you're no longer accepting judges, I shall simply enter as a contestant. I've got an idea, but it'll take me a day or two to see if I can get this to work. Should at least get me a decent Elegance score, if not a particularly high Power score...

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-11, 10:40 PM
Usually I come up with a character concept and then build a class around it. More difficult doing it this way. Elegance is my middle name, but I need a proper story for this interesting build...

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-11, 10:49 PM
Usually I come up with a character concept and then build a class around it. More difficult doing it this way. Elegance is my middle name, but I need a proper story for this interesting build...

Heh, I got a concept and backstory already written. Trying to get it to work mechanically is more of my challenge here...

FishAreWet
2010-04-11, 11:24 PM
I'm in. Will try my best to remember this time.

Mechanical concept complete. Now to make it happen.

BooNL
2010-04-12, 01:57 AM
Hmmz, apparently I don't own the Book of Vile Darkness...

I'll see if my local library has it, if not I don't think I'll be able to partake in this challenge.

Vulaas
2010-04-12, 02:02 AM
Ooh...This just got SO much more awesome re-reading the Cancer Mage.

BooNL
2010-04-12, 02:55 AM
I'm in luck, just found a used copy.

Flipping through the Cancer Mage, first thought: he can speak to his boils!

The class has awesome fluff, though I'd never base a character on it, a villain maybe. The crunch is a bit unfocused though, a couple of SLAs, a 'companion' and a pretty awesome capstone.

Turning into a disease and laying dormant for years? That's pure awesomesauce right there!

My first ideas so far are pretty conventional, I think So I'll continue brainstorming 'till I come up with something (hopefully) original.

Heliomance
2010-04-12, 03:35 AM
Well, obviously, taking NI Str will get us 0 points for elegance.

I'm probably in.

Well it probably would get some points for elegance, as it's quite a nice TO build. No points at all for originality, though.

Also, I'll say Dragon Compendium IS allowed. Be careful, though.

BooNL
2010-04-12, 04:49 AM
Question on the Cancerous Companion ability.

At 7th level it can 'use a spell or spell-like ability of the Cancer Mage on its own as a standard action three times per day'. Can this be the same ability?

Example, the Cancer Mage gets Poison as an SLA 1/day, can the Companion only cast 1 as well, or up to three times?

magic9mushroom
2010-04-12, 05:34 AM
Well it probably would get some points for elegance, as it's quite a nice TO build. No points at all for originality, though.

Also, I'll say Dragon Compendium IS allowed. Be careful, though.

Hmm. My cheese fondue is cooking. Note: This time it's a REAL cheese fondue.

Chineselegolas
2010-04-12, 09:52 AM
This optimization stuff is harder than I remember. Been doing far too much White Wolf gaming.
But think I have found my characters nifty stick and he is coming together quite nicely now. Can't wait till next week to see what else has been made.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-12, 10:02 AM
Y'know, optimization is only one of the criteria.

Do they count all bits as a whole or award for best of each?

arguskos
2010-04-12, 10:05 AM

Do they count all bits as a whole or award for best of each?
Based on the last Iron Chef, each entry is given a composite score by each judge, and each composite score for each entry is then averaged, to find who wins.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-12, 10:08 AM
Based on the last Iron Chef, each entry is given a composite score by each judge, and each composite score for each entry is then averaged, to find who wins.
Ah, gotcha.

That's how I used to run my monster competitions. Problem I ended up having with that is a mediocre entry often won, because it averaged out better, while a tremendously creative and well-balanced entry would lose due to losing out on other criteria.

arguskos
2010-04-12, 10:11 AM
Eh, last time, the entry that won was pretty much the most creative and among the most mechanically able, so, take from that what you will.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-04-12, 12:55 PM
"What about NI strengh via Festering Anger?"

I'd say it wouldn't because the trick works with commoner 19/Cancer Mage 1 so your entire build would be superfluous to the trick. Now if you'd discovered NI strengh from Festering Anger the height of elegance would be qualifying to take cancer mage 1 at level 4 with multiclassing and posting a four level build(Though I guess you'd want to go to 13 for secret ingredient points).

I'm having a similar/opposite problem where I though hey I bet in some source book I can find a disease that gives a effect like X I should make an X based build. I haven't found the disease I'm looking for yet and so I have a build that would work as X 10/Commoner 10. Ya the extra skill ranks and some of the class abilities will be useful and flavorful but non of them are truly vital.

Some may disagree with me but I feel that if you have lvels that may as well be replaced with commoner you're doing something wrong.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-12, 01:56 PM
I'm trying to find a way to meet all the prerequisites as rapidly as possible without explicitly dipping for features. It's surprisingly difficult to get a thematically proper class to qualify for Cancer Mage...

Iferus
2010-04-12, 06:12 PM
I'm trying to find a way to meet all the prerequisites as rapidly as possible without explicitly dipping for features. It's surprisingly difficult to get a thematically proper class to qualify for Cancer Mage...

I know!

It took me a day, but I have finished the mechanical part. Now I just have to write down the story etc.

Chineselegolas
2010-04-12, 07:26 PM
Oh yes, but no point making something below par either.

The +5 fortitude save... And the skill ranks. Ruled most my ideas out before really got moving.

Heliomance
2010-04-12, 07:28 PM
I think Ranger's the simplest way in. A bit odd thematically, though.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-12, 07:31 PM
I think Ranger's the simplest way in. A bit odd thematically, though.
Urban ranger of the sewers. Dire rat animal companion, etc. Or maybe just a creep preying on the populace with favored enemy (human)

Akal Saris
2010-04-12, 07:47 PM
It's interesting that you can get into the class so early, especially since you'll be so feat-starved. I'm having trouble finding a focus for the character - I know what I want him to be able to do, but mechanically it's just not proving as viable as I'd like it to be.

FishAreWet
2010-04-12, 08:09 PM
It's interesting that you can get into the class so early, especially since you'll be so feat-starved. I'm having trouble finding a focus for the character - I know what I want him to be able to do, but mechanically it's just not proving as viable as I'd like it to be.

Yeah. The class just doesn't do anything itself.

Zergrusheddie
2010-04-12, 09:23 PM
Hmm. My cheese fondue is cooking. Note: This time it's a REAL cheese fondue.

Cheese fondue sounds good... until you realize that it is being made out of a festering, boil ridden, and diseased creature that's contaminated with enough plagues to depopulate the multiverse. :smallyuk:

Either way, this is will be fun to watch.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-12, 09:29 PM
Cheese fondue sounds good... until you realize that it is being made out of a festering, boil ridden, and diseased creature that's contaminated with enough plagues to depopulate the multiverse. :smallyuk:.
This sounds like the proper cheese for this particular competition...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_Marzu

arguskos
2010-04-12, 09:32 PM
This sounds like the proper cheese for this particular competition...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_Marzu
Had that stuff. Not that amazing honestly, though fairly nasty to look at.

Anyways! The competition! I'm hearing some smack talk here. Can't wait to see the entries. Fish/magic, ya'll better get 'em in this time, I'm expecting to see stuff, especially with the quality of your last builds (even if they WERE late). :smallwink:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-12, 09:37 PM
Had that stuff. Not that amazing honestly
Really? Wow, cheese infested with flesh-eating worms sounds like it'd be scrumptious to me...

arguskos
2010-04-12, 09:41 PM
Really? Wow, cheese infested with flesh-eating worms sounds like it'd be scrumptious to me...
You'd be surprised at what's tasty. Sugar coated ants were damn delicious (and an anti-toxin to boot). :smallwink:

Escheton
2010-04-12, 10:45 PM
I wont be able to flesh out a char in time so here just a short of my idea

dont know how to spoiler so I just deleted it.
anyone care to mention how one spoilers?

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-12, 11:35 PM
Okay, I think I've got my guy fleshed out... well, as fleshed as someone whose skin has been so pock-marked and sloughed as to consider the term 'flesh' mostly metaphorical in nature.

BooNL
2010-04-13, 12:17 AM
Build idea

Spoiler that, now. There might be people having the same idea. Would be a shame if they had to rethink their strategy.

Anyway, I agree with Akal Saris. The class has a lot of stuff in it, but no focus at all. I'm having trouble finding any syngergies to go along with it.
And if I do specialize, I'm either incredibly feat starved (more so than usual) or wasting half the class features...

I need some more time to brainstorm, hopefully something will hit me.

Grynning
2010-04-13, 12:23 AM
I was about to reiterate BoonL's suggestion to Escheton. I was handily ninja'd.

I'll say it again though, because it bears repetition. For the sake of the competition, PLEASE do not post builds in the thread yourself during the cooking phase. PM them to Helio if you're competing, otherwise wait until after judging has started to post other builds.

Strategos
2010-04-13, 12:32 AM
I think I'll give this a go, I'm not sure how good of an optimizer I am, I'm my Group's DM so I don't really get to play characters, but at the very least I'll get some feedback and, hopefully, learn from my mistakes.

Also, I might even win one of my own trophies :smallbiggrin:.

arguskos
2010-04-13, 12:42 AM
What Grynning said. DO NOT POST BUILDS HERE, OR I WILL LAUGH AT YOU. :smalltongue:

Also, Strategos, those trophies rocked my socks off. Sweet stuff.

BooNL
2010-04-13, 01:07 AM
I think I'll give this a go, I'm not sure how good of an optimizer I am, I'm my Group's DM so I don't really get to play characters, but at the very least I'll get some feedback and, hopefully, learn from my mistakes.

Also, I might even win one of my own trophies :smallbiggrin:.

Thanks for the trophy, I love it!

Good luck in the competition as well!

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-13, 01:14 PM
Ironically, my build isn't very feat starved...

rogueboy
2010-04-13, 07:31 PM
Sadly, my schedule is busier this week than I had anticipated, so I will not have the time to put together a build this time :smallfrown: I am looking forward to what people do with this, however, and will offer myself as a back-up judge if needed.

FishAreWet
2010-04-13, 07:37 PM
I'm probably not going to be able to submit a build. I just have no idea what to do with the class that isn't obvious TO, major DM fiat, or boring.

Akal Saris
2010-04-13, 10:22 PM
I figured out my build, now I just have to write it up. Go go tier 5 entries!

Heliomance
2010-04-14, 02:24 AM
I'm probably not going to be able to submit a build. I just have no idea what to do with the class that isn't obvious TO, major DM fiat, or boring.

If it's new TO, it's entirely acceptable. Says right there in the rules - if you want to make a cheese fondue, go for it.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-14, 11:39 AM
And now I have yet ANOTHER entry idea. Oh well, if no one uses anything like it, I'll post it as a 'bonus build' after the entries are closed.

BooNL
2010-04-15, 01:14 AM
I may have found me a nice little loophole to abuse. Now to find out how to make that interact with the rest of my build.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-15, 01:28 AM
I may have found me a nice little loophole to abuse. Now to find out how to make that interact with the rest of my build.

I only hope it isn't the same one I found...

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-15, 10:40 AM
Well, I'm about done. Problem with Cancer Mage is... it's so badly thought out. Extraordinary abilities that produce infection from yourself that are Wisdom based? Wtd?

Akal Saris
2010-04-15, 12:48 PM
I only hope it isn't the same one I found...

Just a hunch, but we're probably all abusing the same loophole :P

arguskos
2010-04-15, 12:54 PM
Just a hunch, but we're probably all abusing the same loophole :P
Makes things interesting. Just think of it as a surprise party you all got the same invite to. :smallamused:

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-15, 01:30 PM
Well, I'm about done. Problem with Cancer Mage is... it's so badly thought out. Extraordinary abilities that produce infection from yourself that are Wisdom based? Wtd?

Nah, the badly thought out part was the fact that you have to use the flat DC of the diseases, which generally make the Arcane Archer's Death Attack look strong in comparison.

Ashiel
2010-04-15, 02:49 PM
Elegance could bear a little elaboration. It basically measures how skillfully you put your build together, and whether you sacrificed flavour for power. We're cooking here - if your dish doesn't taste good, it doesn't matter how well-presented it is. Use of flaws is an automatic point lost in this category. Other things that will cause lost points here are excessive multiclassing, and classes that don't fit the concept - using Cloistered Cleric in a front-line melee fighter, for example, will lose you points.
Emphasis mine.

I would have considered entering this if not for this. When reading the rules, this really bugged me. This is a very meta-game concept, and I feel it reflects poorly on those judging the event. Who is to say what a class fits with the concept and what class doesn't?

A player of mine plays a crane-clan styled samurai in a tabletop game. The characters is a rogue 3 / barbarian 1 / fighter 2. Why you ask? Because class is a meta-game concept; and this combination of classes allows him to best make mechanical representation of his chosen character. It reflects his speed, iaijutsu technique, combat training, and finesse. He is light on his feet and an excellent duelist; finally with the Rage 1/day representing the gritty Bushido determination when he's pushed to the edge.

His character? He's a fantastic samurai. He is everything that his samurai should be. His concept if represented perfectly through these mechanics; and fights with speed, finesse, and acrobatics (the +10ft speed combined with boots of striding and speeding net him a +4-8 bonus to jump checks; and he can weave through opponents with Tumble). In role-playing, it works wonderfully.

And no, he's in no way a foam-mouthed backstabbing bastard; as some people have even told my friend he's "supposed to be" (having levels in barbarian and rogue classes).

Really, I just think you guys can do better than declaring what a class is or is not supposed to represent in a character. I think you should base it more on how well the character represents a concept with the rules; rather than worrying about the names or predetermined "flavor" of the mechanics used to do so.

I have no dog in the fight; merely making an observation.

Heliomance
2010-04-15, 03:57 PM
Wow, I've had two entries already, and I'll just say that the standard for this challenge is VERY high.

Akal Saris
2010-04-15, 06:45 PM
Heh...I hope my double tier 5 entry will hold up to snuff :P

By the way, what's the deadline for submitting a character?

Private-Prinny
2010-04-15, 06:50 PM

Contestants will have until Monday 19th April to create their builds and PM them to the Chairman (most likely me, at least for the first few.) Builds will then be posted simultaneously, to avoid copying.

There ya go.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-15, 11:51 PM

It's not so much a matter of power as style, really. I mean, unless you want to go with a Cheese Fondue, Cancer Mage is really sub-par for power anyway.

Points for Elegance will balance out the lack of points in Power, methinks.

BooNL
2010-04-16, 01:30 AM
So, basically all base classes I had flowing through my head binding my character together apparantly have poor Fort scores.

Back to the drawing board, le sigh.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-16, 02:40 AM
So, basically all base classes I had flowing through my head binding my character together apparantly have poor Fort scores.

Back to the drawing board, le sigh.

Yea, I had a problem with that one as well. It's hard to find a class combination that doesn't seem like a jumble of classes just to be able to qualify for the durn class...

I did, however, manage to find a way that was thematic with the character.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-17, 12:09 PM
So this is what it's like to put effort into an entry and have to wait for the results :smallwink:

Private-Prinny
2010-04-17, 01:34 PM
So this is what it's like to put effort into an entry and have to wait for the results :smallwink:

It's painful, isn't it? I can't wait to see what you all managed to turn out.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-17, 01:38 PM
It's painful, isn't it? I can't wait to see what you all managed to turn out.
You enter anything, Prinny?

Private-Prinny
2010-04-17, 01:43 PM
You enter anything, Prinny?

No, I couldn't come up with anything that wasn't a jumbled mess, so I opted to stay out. I performed adequately in the last one, though.

arguskos
2010-04-17, 01:45 PM
No, I couldn't come up with anything that wasn't a jumbled mess, so I opted to stay out. I performed adequately in the last one, though.
Which entry was yours, again? I cannot recall.

Olo Demonsbane
2010-04-17, 01:56 PM
I've been greatly enjoying watching these :smallbiggrin:

Keep up the good work, people.

Private-Prinny
2010-04-17, 02:07 PM
Which entry was yours, again? I cannot recall.

The one that came in last. I said adequately, not well. :smallbiggrin:

arguskos
2010-04-17, 02:39 PM
The one that came in last. I said adequately, not well. :smallbiggrin:
...ah. Yes. Well then. :smallbiggrin: You entered, and fought well. In such esteemed company, even an entry at all is a great thing. ^_^

Anyways! Yes! Excited, I am! Can't wait to judge these.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-17, 11:11 PM
Can't wait to Monday, when we get a chance to see all the entries

Chineselegolas
2010-04-18, 05:40 AM
Aww dear... I had my skeleton all ready to fill out, and then got busy. And only now have free time to try and finish it off...
Eeep.

Grynning
2010-04-18, 01:13 PM
I guess it's bad that I'm hoping some judges won't turn up again, so I can get my two bits in. We have a strong field of competitors again from the sound of it!

I'll probably write my judgments and post them anyways; Helio can use me as a tiebreaker if it comes down to it I guess. Either way, good luck to everyone, can't wait for tomorrow night!

Heliomance
2010-04-18, 02:13 PM
Received the third build, hurry up, only one day left! I have my own ideas about who's going to do how well, get some more builds in so there's more competition!

Strategos
2010-04-18, 04:49 PM
I'm just finishing up my skill list, the background and the "What does your character do?" parts, I should be finished soon.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-18, 09:54 PM
What is the exact cut-off date?

arguskos
2010-04-18, 09:55 PM
What is the exact cut-off date?
Monday, ie, tomorrow. As for the time, well, it was fuzzy last time, as Helio has intermittent net access.

BooNL
2010-04-19, 03:19 AM
I'm withdrawing for this build.

I've done nothing but work all living hours the past week, and while I do have a bit of spare time today I have more important stuff to do than create characters (oh how much I want to though!).

I think I had quite an original idea at the end, but the implementation of it proved to be quite difficult. Good luck to everone!

Akal Saris
2010-04-19, 10:20 AM
Whew! Build submitted at last. This 1 took way longer than I expected, but I'm happy with the overall results. Good timing though - this week is the beginning of my finals week, so from here on it's "nose to the grindstone" for grad school stuff.

Heliomance
2010-04-19, 02:41 PM
Okay, everyone, you have an extension until tomorrow due to the fact that I'm too busy to post all the builds tonight!

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-19, 03:53 PM
I'm withdrawing for this build.

I've done nothing but work all living hours the past week, and while I do have a bit of spare time today I have more important stuff to do than create characters (oh how much I want to though!).

I think I had quite an original idea at the end, but the implementation of it proved to be quite difficult. Good luck to everone!
Got an extra day now though.

the humanity
2010-04-19, 10:44 PM
well? another day?

Iferus
2010-04-20, 04:57 AM
Appearantly.

Oh, and here's a minicontest for when the builds are posted: Which ones have been made by people with English as a secondary language?

Heliomance
2010-04-20, 07:54 AM
ENTIRES ARE NOW CLOSED!

And without any further ado (okay, maybe a little), I shall now present the builds. Hold on to your handkerchiefs, you're gonna need them!

Heliomance
2010-04-20, 07:58 AM
You might be a king, or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you'll play dice with the reaper! Give a warm and squishy hand to

Uncle Festered, Servant of Bertoxx the Unclean
Human Urban Ranger2/Warlock6/Cancer Mage10/Hellfire Warlock2

The twisted deformity known as Uncle Festered haunts the sewers of a fairly large metropolis, plotting things too obscene to think of on a full stomach. But where did this walking plague come from? Ahh, listen close, my friends, and I shall tell you.

He started out a street rat, one with a penchant for being able to sniff people out. Anyone you wanted to find? He could find 'em. He got taken in by a street gang with a thirst for vengeance, and he was their star bloodhound.

Urban Ranger 1
He takes all his 'prerequisite' skills at this point, plus Gather Information

For feats, he takes Able Learner and Toughness right out of the box, as neither has any prerequisites.

However, that summer, a fetid wind swept through the ghettos and the underbelly of the city, causing a horriffic disease to spread among the poor. While the rich could afford the services of the clergy to keep them safe, there was simply not enough clerics of a mind to go down into the ghettos to do the same there.

Our young Vengeance-Stalker and his gang were among those so afflicted. He was somewhat wealthier than most at his social strata, people payed him well to find people that didn't want to be found. So he tried to bribe an apothecary for a 'cure'. The apothecary, seeing the advanced stages of the disease, gave the poor young man Arsenic to 'end his suffering'.

However, he survived both the disease and the poisoning, unlike his fellow gang members, owing to a somewhat unique experience.

In one of his fevered dreams, a powerful demon came to him, and offered him a deal: his life, for his soul. What could he do but accept? It was just a fever dream, right?

Well, the demon was no figment of a disease-addled mind, and our young fellow found himself with strange and wondrous powers, gifts of his new Master.

Urban Ranger2/Warlock 3

He picks up Poison immunity at level 3, leaving one feat to go at level 6. He continues boosting Hide and Move Silently, since they are so useful, as well as UMD and Spellcraft.

Invocations Known: Eldritch Glaive and Darkness.

No, he doesn't pick up Devil's Sight. He won't need it shortly.

All this is being done for the prep-work, and picking up synergistic abilities to be used with Cancer Mage. It takes a bit longer to get into than most people use, but I think the results are worth it.

The demon he serves grants him additional powers, and helps him along his obsession with filth and disease. Sometimes, he has half-crazed notions of sending a powerful plague through the noble quarter, showing them what it is like to live down here, but really he doesn't much care who he infects.

He picks up the moniker "Uncle Festered" due to an odd quirk of his: He wishes to be infected with every disease which exists. Therefore, if someone has an unusual disease, one which has not infected him previously, he will invite that person to come down to spend some time with him in his sewer abode.

Now, he won't try to cure the poor thing, of course. Quite the opposite, the guest will likely end up catching several diseases which are exceedingly fatal, and will probably die in a particularly gruesome fashion. However, Uncle Festered will also likely catch the disease he was wanting to, adding it to his repertoire.

In exchange for this, he will pay one person of his guest's choosing 100gp for the additional knowledge he has gleaned.

The poor have taken this story and run with it, calling him the Death Lottery. They fear him, but they also secretly hope that one of their best friends will visit him, making them richer than they ever thought possible. They also call him Uncle Festered, because they do not wish to earn his ire.

The randomness of his 'gifts', and the size of the gifts, would make most poor unwilling to be of much help in tracking down Uncle Festered. They don't want to risk loosing out on their chance for 100gp.

Urban Ranger2/Warlock6/Cancer Mage2

Picks up the invocations: Sickening Blast and Hellfire Blast

Picks up Greater Fortitude at level 6.

Now he has Blindsight, courtesy of his Cancerous Companion, and can see through his Darkness easily.

Also, by this time, he cannot fail on a UMD check to activate a Wand. This gives him some rather useful tools in his repertoire.

Things are starting to mesh, but over the next few levels is where his power level really boosts...

At 9th, he picks up the feat Extra Invocation: Entropic Warding, making it exceedingly difficult to track his movements.

As he grows more sickened and depraved, so too does the fear surrounding the legend of Uncle Festered. Horrifying tales of flesh sloughing off bones and rotting away, or shriveling to dust and blowing away in the wind.

Adventuring bands have begun to hear about this Uncle Festered and try to deal with him. Few, if any, ever come back. Those that do... don't tend to live too long afterword, dying to some hideous disease.

Once, a Holy Order tried to exterminate him... only one priest made it out alive. He was cackling uncontrollably, unable to stop, until he finally collapsed in the alley way.

Several attempts to block off his section of the sewers have been made, none were particularly successful at hindering him.

Urban Ranger2/Warlock6/Cancer Mage 7

Now most of his synergies are coming into play.

Contracting Mummy Rot is going to be pathetically easy for him. If nothing else, UMD a scroll of Summon Undead of the appropriate level and ordering it to slam him.

Now, here's something of a rules call for the DM. According to the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#mummyRot), it is a Contact infection, which means he can then infect anyone by contact, probably using an unarmed attack or something.

But even if he cannot infect someone with it personally, there is a cute little loophole in the Viral Agent ability...

It specifically mentions that he can use any disease that infests his body. So he can then use this ability on Mummy Rot. Then it says that he can explicitly use his Contagion ability to spread this Viral Agent to a target.

Sure, it costs him an Int point, but it's a way for him to be able to hit opponents with Mummy Rot, doing 1d6 Con damage. Best of all, without magic, you simply CANNOT be rid of it. Ever. And, of course, all the other effects of Mummy Rot, hindering healing, and when you die, you turn to dust.

This has several benefits to him. First, he can use Viral Agent to create a 'lookout' at the entrance to his abode. This means he always knows when some Duddley Do-Right is going to go barging in. This gives him plenty of time to set up ambushes and traps. He can use his Children of darkness ability in advance, so he doesn't have to wait for them to arrive. Then he can use his Insect Plague and Summon Swarm abilities to hamper and confuse them while he winds up with things like a Wand of Enervation to drop their saves.

And since the target cannot get rid of it, save through magic, his early-warning system will eventually die... then he simply makes a new one, and the evidence of his doing is covered by the target turning to dust and blowing away on the wind.

This makes Viral Agent both an offensive and defensive ability. Defensive by being an early warning system, used to detect when threats approach his home, and offensive by being able to inflict Mummy Rot on his targets, at a cost of 1 Int.

Getting a Wand of Lesser Restoration is going to be pathetically easy for him at this point, and using it is auto-success. It is up to the DM to decide of it can be used to heal the Int damage caused by using Viral Agent instantly, or the effects it would have on the Viral Agent. A particularly cheesy interpretation would be to have an infinite Int loop, giving away Int, healing the damage, then getting it back when the effect wears off, however I'm not making a Cheese Fondue, let's skip this possible interpretation, shall we? This is a possible cheese point, but by no means is it necessary to make this a viable build.

As Eldritch Glaive is a melee attack, it can be used as a carrier for Infected Wound, only with 10' reach, and making a touch attack. No cheese here, just synergy between abilities.

Now then, Uncle Festered is also surprisingly difficult to hurt in combat as well.

His Cancerous Companion gives him lots of fun 'no' abilities. Evasion + decent Reflex Save = not really affected by Blastomancy. Uncanny Dodge = Rogue-B-Gone. But the truly nasty part is the Cancerous Companion using a SLA 3/day. Effectively Quicken SLA without CL requirements, or effective spell level caps. Yeouch. Double the pleasure, double the fun. Two Eldritch Glaives for the price of one? 50% chance of not being affected by mind-affecting abilities is also nifty.

But here's the fun part: He's a Warlock, which means Light Armor poses no Arcane Spell Failure chance. So he can happily wear Tatterdemalion and Insect Armor with no penalty whatsoever. And with Wand of Magic Vestments, that can be quite a lot of extra AC someone has to get through.

However, I doubt it will come to that. Darkness + Blindsight + obscenely high Hide and Move Silently checks... he's not invisible, so you can't pick him up with True Sight. He just cannot be seen. Pick up Darkstalker for more fun, if you really want, but not necessary.

He knows these sewers, his opponents don't. He's got ambushes and swarms popping up all over the place, sniping from the cover of darkness, then fading back into the fetid slime-coated tunnels. Odds are, the party won't even get a chance to see him, much less swing at him.

Every single ability the Cancer Mage possesses, he uses. And with Wand of Enervation, he's got ways to drop his opponent's fort saves down to the point where even the pathetic saving throws of his diseases have a decent chance of landing. Sickening Blast also drops opponent saves by 2, and can be used while sniping to drop their saves from the cover of darkness.

So this is the legend of Uncle Festered, Servant of Bertoxx the Unclean, The Death Lottery.

A living plague, infesting the sewers of one of the largest cities around. He works on a plan to infect every single citizen and visitor with a horrific disease, to spread that plague to the furthest corners of the world.

Already, he has made some progress. He has found ways to influence powerful people, causing them to act in his interests, furthering his plan.

Occasionally, scorched remains are found in the alleyway reputed to be the entrance to his home. Almost invariably, these remains still have a holy symbol, partially melted. Another foolish Paladin who tried to 'rid the world of the filth that resides in this city'. Only to find that disease is not the only weapon Uncle Festered calls on, only his most preferred.

Urban Ranger2/Warlock6/Cancer Mage10/Hellfire Warlock2

No HFW/Binder/Legacy Champion cheese here. Just some extra damage output to burn down those immune to diseases, and a Wand of Lesser Restoration to deal with the effects.

He picks up Voracious Dispelling, as HFW advances Warlock Invocation progression. This lets him 'snipe' his opponent's magical defenses, hurting them a little in the process. He continues this until they have no buffs up. If they re-buff, he re-dispells. It's not like he is going to run out of it any time soon. Sniping like that from the cover of darkness. He picks up the feat Intensify Darkness to make it harder to see through, and Blend Into Shadows for Hide in Plain Sight. But since he is simply using Hide checks, rather than Invisibility, most arcane attempts to locate him will fail.

He can also use Hellfire Infusion on his toys as well, making his Enervation Wands very nasty indeed.

This means he can effectively snipe against practically any foe. He can use toys to get Mind-Blank effects to further muddle the waters.

Wands own probably include the following:

Glitterdust
Enervation
Lesser Restoration
Sniper's Sight
Grease
Magic Vestments
Lesser Vigor

Now then, Viral Ally is an interesting little ability. As a (Su) ability, it ignores a lot of defenses. Some might argue that it even bypasses Mind Blank, since it is not a spell or spell effect, however I'm not going to base any mechanic on such flimsy wording.

However, with his ability to dispel, and drop defenses, it is safe to say that he could quite easily strip protectives against mind-affecting from a target.

Now, here's the best part of Viral Ally: It's a Fort Save. Now, who is normally the weakest against Fort Saves? Wizards. Who are the most powerful members of any party likely to show up to attack him? You got it, Wizards. So rapid-fire Dispel until you are sure his Mind Blank goes down, then Viral Ally him. Now the opponent party has to deal with their friend going south, and still better... Dispel Magic, Break Enchantment... both ineffective. You need a Cure Disease to end the effect, although a Protection from Evil could abate it, in which case, you Dispel again, from your Cancerous Companion, if necessary.

Of course, you still use Mummy Rot as your carrier. It's just that much fun.

And of course, disease form. Due to Entropic Warding, he is immune to scent. This means there is literally nothing that can be done to detect him in this state, and he can remain so indefinitely. So even if he DOES get outmatched, he can simply use this form to evade. Being able to infect someone else is just the gravy on the train.

Now, the other fun thing about Disease Form is that it simply says he is intangible and invisible. However, you don't need verbal or somatic components to use (Su) abilities, which is what most of this class grants. In fact, technically, nothing says you can't simply use SLA's while in this form, although I would not base any tactics off of this loose interpretation.

Heliomance
2010-04-20, 08:03 AM
Sparkling angel, I couldn't see your intentions, your feelings for me. Fallen angel, tell me why - what is the reason, the thorn in your eye?

I'd just like to note I'm not a bad person, really...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Leery Lily (http://www.pifro.com/pro/view.php?id=4862)

Backstory and Progression

The body is a garden within which a seed may grow. There is a planter and their is the soil. The planter must care for the garden and love both it and it's fruit.

Those sweet words Lily would remember for always. Her mother held her as she told the girl, just turned young woman. Lily didn't need the comfort, but she knew her mother worried over her and her odd ways. The bleeding she knew would come. She had felt the gradual changes, tasted with her inner self the new flavors that had begun to course through her. She had before tried to explain this, but she was not understood. Her mother saw only a beautiful little girl who instead of playing would study the whirls of her fingertips or peer with fascination at a lost tooth. At five she had come across Lily calming watching blood stream from her wrist into a bucket. She was quickly rushed to the apothecary, but Lily remained pale and feverish for days from the bloodloss. When she was asked what happened she replied with the innocence of a child, 'I wanted to know how much was inside.'

Her parents were close to watch the young child after that, fearing another odd thought might come and see her damage herself. The years passed and if she didn't romp or screech like other children she also never got sick or disobeyed out of spite. She was a model child, and radiantly healthy.

As the story of life was explained to her she counted the thud-thud of her mother's heartbeats and smiled in contentment.

1st Level

Though Lily has experienced a heightened sense of bodily awareness and high health from birth, it is finally at puberty that she gains an awareness of what her body is capable. She gains her first level psion, learning the Elfsight, Synesthete, and Vigor power. Great Fortitude she had from birth via her human feat. Endurance is her first class skill, and Psionic Body her psion bonus feat.

...the same smile was echoed on her face some five years later as she held the straining woman's hand, which relaxed as the baby emerged. The midwife held it up and Lily whispered in joy to the new mother, 'It's a girl, Maybelle.'

The young woman stepped away to let the midwife give over the baby and watched happily. She had been training under the lady Laurie for a few years now and would be leaving for a nearby town to take over for their aging midwife. Lily already surpassed these seasoned women in many ways, using her understanding of self and applying it to her wards. That night she met up with several of her friends, mostly older sisters of babies she had helped deliver and gotten to know. They announced they would be taking her out, but she mustn't know where, playfully blindfolding her.

Lily had long ago discovered if she focused hard enough she could move without sight, feeling and hearing her surroundings as well as any eyes. She kept the girls on their toes, pretending to lurch off of a high path, or suddenly run out of their grip for a tree, moving aside at the last moment, laughing as they screamed in horror each time. She played along though as she stepped into a boat to cross the lake for a nearby island. She heard the singing and laughter there, recognizing several voices. They whisked off her blindfold, momentarily stunning her with the sudden light from the bonfires there. Away from the prying eyes of the village they ate of the fish and drank with abandon.

Lily was vaguely disappointed when the wine didn't bring with it the merriness the others seemed to experience. She was light of heart regardless and eagerly availed herself of every man that asked her to dance. Her mother had scolded her many time for her ways about men, but her mother was not here, and she fanned the flames that she felt burning within. With each partner she went a little farther from the fires. There was one young man though, called Russel, she had always had a burning for. Him she teased, never allowing him to dance, but leaving him with a later. Finally he asked one last time, and she grabbed his hand and ducked out of the firelight.

Practically dragging him away, she turned and leapt into his arms, making him stumble in his drunkenness. He seemed shocked at first, but Lily's amorous advances could not be denied. They made love in the ferns near the beach that night, she with a hunger she had kept at bay lest she face her parent's wrath. Lily let all her guards ago, not only freeing the flood of hormones but enhancing them til she knew nothing but her lover. There was no pain for her, and it felt right that she should be so besotted. She hardly knew when she came down off her high and fell into a deep sleep. She awoke some time after dawn, Russel beside her. Knowing she had a coach she left him there, throwing his clothes over him. There were still a couple boats left from those that had spent the night as well. As she paddled away she didn't glance back. Otherwise she'd have noticed that as the sun finally struck the figure nearby in the ferns, it illuminated a face frozen in a rictus of horror, the skin an ashen gray.

She was forced to run all the way back to her home, and snuck in a back way. Her parents knew she often stayed overnight with an expectant mother,and paid little heed to the creaking of the floorboards. When she emerged, bathed and clothed, they attributed her still flushed features to excitement. She boarded the carriage with waves and shouts. That evening she pulled into the gates of Great Locke. She had not expected the manor she pulled up to that purportedly housed the midwife. As she rang the bell a man, but still young, met her, introducing himself as Doctor Leery. What he saw was a woman of great beauty. Though her features were fair, and her figure trim, it was not that which brought out her beauty. There was a vibrancy to her he had never seen in another, and being a doctor he knew health. Though pale, it was not the wan features of one kept indoors, but the light, unblemished gold of the approaching morning. In addition to being wide hipped, possessed of an ample bosom, and thick, kinkly hair of deep auburn to her waist, the doctor found himself deeply impressed. He invited her in, explaining that the midwife was his great aunt and lived with him. Without quite noticing it they found themselves talking to one another over a cup of tea well into the night...

5th Level
Lily is now a 5th level psion. Untrained yet powerful, she unknowingly used the Hungry Touch on her lover, taking all he had and more, leaving him lifeless. She has Poison Immunity as of 3rd level, nullifying the affects of the drink, and gained Overchannel as her 5th level bonus feat from her experimenting with how far she could push her abilities.

A year later Lily was wed to the doctor. At first she was deliriously happy, loving her husband with all her heart, and he her. She gradually took over the daunting task of the midwifing for a goodly portion of the town, and with each child felt the flush of life boiling out of them. Lily and the doctor were eager to start a family, and within a month she was pregnant. Though she had expected to feel overjoyed, and was at first, she found herself growing steadily uneasy. The child was healthy, she could sense that, but instead of feeling alive, she had to fight back this feeling the child was taking from her. This was perfectly natural, but as it grew she wished more and more it would come, not so she could meet the child, but so that it would stop siphoning. She began to have panic attacks near the eighth month, and then once night awoke in panic and she felt... normal, for the first time since conception. The next thing she realized was, the baby was no longer moving.

Though she wept, she couldn't help bus also feel a tiny bit of relief. She hated herself for these feelings and for weeks after she was steeped in self loathing. She would lock herself in the bedroom for hours in thought and self study, trying to find out what the problem with her was. Knowing her parents reaction in her youth, she never revealed to her husband her uncanny abilities. She knew though that if she could only part with some of her life she could heal others as she healed herself. Yet time and time again she felt herself pulling back. It was several months later she convinced herself to return to midwifing. It was a new mother she was aiding this day, and felt a kinship with the woman for her difficulty in birthing. The baby was far too large, and the labor took days. Finally the head appeared but as its shoulders came the mother suddenly arched her back with a scream as she tore. The baby's neck was at a wrong angle when she flopped back down and Lily felt a moment's panic as it emerged. She felt a heartbeat, but it was fading quickly. Willing all that was in her she willed life to pour into the newborn. She felt the warmth spread in her hands but then a familiar feeling of revulsion swept through her. Instead of giving she found herself taking back, and more. She snarled viciously, suddenly so angry at the child for trying to take what was hers she almost hated it. As it went cold in her arms she snapped awake as if coming out of a nightmare. She set the child down, and tended quickly to the mother, her head swirling with what she had just done. In her pain and blood-loss she had not seen Lily's actions, though asked over and over for her child before she swooned.

Lily became pregnant time and time again, each time the child dying younger and younger, and her bitterness grew. She began to resent all the mothers who could give birth, and the feeling that their children were leeches, hungry little worms devouring from the inside. Her services were gradually less requested, and whispers began around town. From Mrs. Lily Leerie the townsfolk began to call her Leery Lily.
After her fifth loss her husband set her down and tried to reason with her, that he wished for no more children, nor her any more pain. Lily screamed at him, shouting that it must be his part in this that was causing their deaths. Under pretense of midwifing she would visit husbands of those she tended who had shown signs of attraction to her. She offered herself to them. She became pregnant and though the doctor was surprised he suspected nothing. That child died as well and such was the change in Lily that the doctor found himself becoming repelled by her. Thus when she became pregnant again he knew the truth. For the love that had once been so strong he allowed her to stay, but he could barely look upon her. She realized though she didn't care, becoming wholly obsessed with having a child. It to died, and as she swelled with the third bastard child the doctor began to make longer and longer trips away, offering his services to nearby villages so he would not have to be near her.

She was shunned now by nearly all, and many thought she was poisoning herself. Faithless husbands who had let her in could no longer do so for none would believe that their wives wished for her expertise. She was forced to seduction of less reputable men. Many a time she became sick from the filth she was forced to bed, but the recoveries were quick. After a month away her husband returned, weary and heartsick, and he met a repentant Lily, who was so forlorn and like her old self he couldn't help but forgive her. She smiled to herself as she lie by him that night. The child that would grow within her would not die because she would not let it be born. She would keep it, and strengthen it.

The doctor rejoiced as Lily went into her ninth month. She had been so full of hope this time, and he with her. However, as the days continued and she gave no sign of birthing, not of fulfilling her pregnancy he began to worry. She shushed his worries with a smile. As the tenth month came and went the doctor asked to examine her, but she refused. Eleven months passed and the doctor grew fearful. No woman stayed pregnant this long, and she talked to the child as if it had been born. Those in the town began to shun the household and the doctor entirely. Dread hung over that family, and the doctor's expression was paler and more haunted with each passing week.

A year after conception the doctor looked in at his wife, who was singing to her swollen belly. He felt a deep horror each time he saw her, and his sleep had become plagued with nightmares. Of beasts lying in wait within her womb. Springing out to attack and feed before slinking back in. He awoke in a cold sweat and some steel entered his soul. This could not continue. That evening he drugged her meal heavily, knowing her resistance. As her eyes grew heavy he took her too their bed and prepared to examine her. He lied a hand on her abdomen and checked her over as he was able. There was no movement, but the child was obviously still within. He filled a syringe from Lily's own bag to induce and bent over to inject it when a hand caught his wrist. Lily was looking at him with a smile that nevertheless filled him with more fear than before. Strange twins sacks were bulging from her throat and with a widening of her eyes she screamed. The first thing he felt was wetness, but immediately he began to scream as he felt the flesh burning and then sloughing from his bones. In seconds he was but a rancid smelling puddle on the ground. Neighbors had emerged in response to the doctor's dying screams and were pounding on the door. Lily's once kind face snarled and she opened the bedroom window. Despite the clumsiness of her bloated belly she jumped out with incredible grace and landed with poise upon a spider's web that stretched from the window to a tree in the small garden between buildings. Walking it as if it were a tightrope, she then hopped to the ground.

She squatted and leaped the cast iron fence like a gazelle. As she began to sneak off one of the crowd lit a match to his pipe and cried out in alarm as the light reflected off her eyes like a cat in the dark. Lily took off down the street towards the wharfs. Search though they might they never found her.

10th Level
Lily at this point has reached 10th level. She took Steadfast Determination at 6th level, Poison Healer at 9th level, and Expanded Knowledge at 10th. Her child she put into Suspended Animation until she could learn how to keep it alive. This is the point at which she goes from psionics and begins the horrible journey towards Cancer Mage.

Lily watched hungrily as a rat neared and she skewered it on her scalpel with a swift movement. She knew she could go without food for as long as she wished, but that would take concentration away from her study of self. She calmly crunched its bones without a thought as she huddled within her cave. The tide would cover the entrance, but before she ran out of air the water would always recede again.

'The body is more like a garden than Mother knew...' she thought to herself. It was full of all sorts of crawly things. They had just been so small... but not much smaller than her child when it first began to grow. She now knew she was full of them. Some were helpful, others barely kept from killing her. Much of them slept, feeding off her, while others actively attacked. Release a chemical here, cut off blood there, and they would grow, others sleep. Oh yes, the body was a fertile garden indeed, and as long as you kept the bushes trimmed and the weeds mown there was sooo much fruit to be gathered. Was it her fault that to any but her the fruit would eat its garden? She had found this out after several months of hiding. She hadn't intentionally started the plague that had spread through the town like fire. They didn't look for her much now. Many were too buy being sick or dead. She giggled a little to herself. She knew she wouldn't have found that so funny before, but it was amusing to think of all the little buggies growing and they couldn't even weed them away!

She still was recognized now and again and some guard would try to arrest her, but they didn't chase her long. When she needed entertainment she'd wash the worst of her filth off in the waters of the enormous lake and rise up from the water like some sea nymph before a sailor or dockworker.

She had long since shrunk her belly and pushed her child out of the womb to rest more comfortably on up. She'd not too long ago let it woken up, but it was no longer really a child. It would never leave and she would always have someone to talk to. There were not words yet, but they could share feelings and the occasional thought. Now that she had her child she no longer feared or worried. Life was so much more interesting now...

15th Level (Sweet Spot)
Lily is now 15th level, and 3 levels into Cancer Mage. Her 'Cancerous Companion' is actually her unborn child, now warped into an abomination. This would be the 'sweet spot' of the build, where all the story comes together.

The town wasn't like it used to be. much more empty, less trade coming along. Lily found it interesting the stories they told of her now. Ships no longer took her aboard, but sailed off in fright. Guards would fire on her at sight. Not much opportunity for old time fun, but she was kept occupied by her child and it's mental growth. She had taught it so many things, and it was a fast learner! She'd allowed herself to sleep for a few months after they'd found her hidey hole. There were so many places to hide though, so she'd need to keep still. She no longer feared those of the town, but they were distracting. Barnacles and other little creatures had actually grown up on her, but she'd melded with them and used their glue so that she never really noticed them any more. There were so many little secrets to be found if you looked inside and around. She would continue discovering, and she'd always have a little bit of herself to talk to.

20th Level
Lily has achieved 20th level and 8 levels of cancer mage. Her presence and frequent plagues and illnesses has taken its toll on the city and most have fled. Her insect armor is actually barnacles, limpets, cirripedes and similar clinging sea vermin.

Human Psion 11, Psychic Warrior 1, Cancer Mage 8
Medium Humanoid (human, psionic)
Hit Dice: 11d4+66 + 1d8+6 + 8d6+48 + 32 (211 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 30 (+2 dex, +4 natural, +9 tatterdemalion, +5 amulet), touch 12, flat-footed 28
Base Attack/Grapple: +13/+12
Attack: +5 wounding dagger +17 melee (1d4+5, 19-20x2)
Full Attack: +5 wounding dagger +17/+12/+7 melee (1d4+5, 19-20x2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Cancerous companion, children of the night, contagion, infected wound, insect plague, psionics, poison, sneak attack 2d6, viral ally
Special Qualities: Blindsight 30 ft., disease host, evasion, insect armor, uncanny dodge
Saves: Fort +19, Ref +11, Will +13
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 15, Con 23, Int 25 (+31 with headband), Wis 11, Cha 14
Skills: Autohypnosis +23, Bluff +20, Concentration +29, Diplomacy +11, Escape Artist +12, Heal +23, Hide +16, Intimidate +12, Knowledge (arcana/the planes) +9, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +17, Knowledge (nature) +14, Listen +15, Move Silently +16, Profession (prostitute) +10, Psicraft +16, Sense Motive +5, Spot +15, Survival +23, Swim +12
Skills Tricks: Spot the Weak Point, Swift Concentration
Feats: Endurance, Expanded Knowledge (Empathic Transfer, Hostile), Great Fortitude, Improved Toughness (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Improved_Toughness), Maximize Power, Overchannel, Poison Healer (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Poison_Healer), Practised Manifester (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Practiced_Manifester), Poison Immunity, Psionic Body, Steadfast Determination (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Steadfast_Determination), Talented
Challenge Rating: 20
Possessions:
+5 Tatterdemalion - 25,000 gp
+5 paralytic, wounding dagger (scalpel) - 110,000 gp
Amulet of Natural Armor +5 - 50,000 gp
Codex Anathema - 37,500 gp
Headband of Intellect +6 - 36,000
Iron Bands of Binding - 26,000
Manual of Bodily Health +5 - 137,500 gp
Manual of Quickness In Action +5 - 137,500 gp
Psionatrix of Psychometabolism - 8,000 gp
Tome of Clear Thought +5 - 137,500 gp
Tome of Understanding +2 - 55,000 gp
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Advancement: By character level
Level Adjustment: +0

Combat
Lily will often cut upon herself so that when she attacks she can use her Forced Share Pain to heal and weaken the attacker. She'll then sneak attack while they are distracted, using Cranial Deluge if with most of her power points, or Hungry Touch if low. When she touches them they also automatically must make a save against Mindfire.

She tends to buff with Animal Affinity, Freedom of Movement and Thicken Skin before leaping into combat. Animal Affinity may be used twice, once to enhance Intelligence and thus other buffs, and then a 2nd time for another stat, depending on the situation.

Evasion (Ex): Lily can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if she is wearing light armor or no armor. If helpless, she does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Lily can no longer be flanked. This defense denies another the ability to sneak attack her by flanking her, unless the attacker has at least four more levels than she does.

Psionics: Manifester level 15th. (Power Points per day = 144; Save DC 18 (21 with headband) + power level):

Egoist Powers Known
1st - Elfsight, Hungry Touch, Synesthete, Thicken Skin, Vigor
2nd - Animal Affinity, Biofeedback, Body Equilibrium, Sustenance
3rd - Body Adjustment, Body Purification, Forced Share Pain, Hostile Empathic Transfer, Mindfire
4th - Energy Adaption, Personality Parasite, Psionic Freedom of Movement, Psychic Reformation
5th - Adapt Body, Cranial Deluge, Psychic Feedback, Restore Extremity
6th - Breath of the Black Dragon, Suspend Life

Psychic Warrior Powers Known
1st - Chameleon

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Lily can react to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. She retains her Dexterity bonus to AC even if she is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, she still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

-=-=-=-=-

Build Notes & Quirks

Strengths
Lily has become much like an infection herself. She can survive without food and water (though can feed off near anything she wishes), can tolerate any environment, can sleep years at a time and if you harm her you harm yourself through her Empathic Feedback power. She also has

Weaknesses
Lily is mostly defensive instead of offensive. She can deal quite a bit of damage, but it'd be mainly hit and run tactics.

Ref and Will saves are also quite low for 20th level, but with Lily's ability to ramp up her stats this will rarely be a problem.

Mindfire
As Lily can manifest Mindfire on herself and becomes a carrier of that disease she now may touch anyone at will to deliver it, and with the power it is a much more virulent version.

Viral Agent/Ally
Lily can use animal affinity to enhance intelligence and give one point of it to her Viral Agent. She can thus use the equivalent of Psionic Dominate at a much reduced power point cost.

Psychic Reformation
If required, Lily can use Psychic Reformation to change out her powers and feats as needed. One of her special tricks is to gain Mind Switch, and allow her child (aka Cancerous Companion) to manifest it. The companion now has control of the body and the mind is trapped within Lily herself.

Poison Healer
Lily can make the fortitude save against eating rotten food or drinking alcohol. At any time she needs a quick healing she can choke down some rot or glug a bottle of booze.

Sources
Book of Vile Darkness
Complete Psionic
Complete Scoundrel
Complete Warrior
Expanded Psionics Handbook
Fiendish Codex I
Magic Item Compendium
Player's Handbook
Player's Handbook II

Heliomance
2010-04-20, 08:06 AM
This next entry really is the life and soul of the party. Just... not the kind of life you expect to see at a party.

Glum, Leprosy Glum, The Warped One, Gloomy Glum, Walking Death

Sources: Classes & features:
Ranger (PHB 46)
Fighter (PHB 37)
Swordsage (ToB 15)
Urban Ranger (UA 55)
Janni Bloodline (UA 27)
Warp Touch (BoVD 31)
Cancer Mage (BoVD 52)

Feats:
Book of Vile Darkness
Book of nine swords
Player's Handbook

Items not from the Magic Item compendium are noted below.

Race:
Mongrelfolk with Janni Bloodline

Base stats + Racial modification:
{table]Str|8|
Dex |14|
Con |12| +4
Int |12| -2
Wis |18|
Cha |10| -4[/table]

Build notes
The base race was a bit of a conundrum. I needed a high Dex, Con and Wis, and I needed a very urban flavor. SLA's would be great, since I would use Boost Spell-like ability anyway.
Something like an Uldra would have been a more effective choice, but that's just not as cool as a mongrelfolk. Being a Mongrelfolk has its advantages, but it hurts in the skills section. It also provided some challenges in getting greater use out of Disease Form.

The Favored Enemy is chosen for flavor reasons too: Arcanists is the first choice for pure power. Instead, I chose the targets that are mostly immune to most of Glum's powers: the church of Pelor.

You know, I would have loved to build a cancer mage out of a paladin of Tyranny. The problem was that pesky disease immunity all paladins get. I couldn't find an ACF or anything that would work by RAW.
The build
Glum, the Leper
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort/Ref/Will|Class Abilities|Other
1st: Ranger 1|
+1|
+2/+2/+0|Favored Enemy Organisation (Church of Pelor), Urban Tracking, Wild Empathy | Toughness
2nd: Ranger 2|
+2|
+3/+3/+0|Two-Weapon Fighting |
3rd: Fighter 1|
+3|
+5/+3/+0|Great Fortitude | Poison Immunity (Arsenic)
4th: Fighter 2|
+4|
+6/+3/+0|Weapon Finesse | +2 Appraise, +1 Wisdom
5th: Swordsage 1|
+4|
+6/+5/+2|Quick to Act +1, Shadow Hand Focus(Weapon Focus) |
6th: CancerM 1|
+4|
+8/+7/+2|Sneak Attack +1d6, Disease Host | Shadow Blade
7th: CancerM 2|
+5|
+9/+8/+2|Contagion, Cancerous Companion |
8th: Swordsage 2|
+6/+1|
+9/+9/+3|AC Bonus | Improved Initiative, +1 Wisdom
9th: CancerM 3|
+7/+2|
+9/+9/+4|Tatterdemalion, Poison | Boost Spell-like Ability
10th: CancerM 4|
+8/+3|
+10/+10/+4|Children of the Night |
11th: CancerM 5|
+8/+3|
+10/+10/+4|Sneak Attack +2d6, Viral Agent |
12th: Janni Bloodline|
+8/+3|
+10/+10/+4| | Adaptive Style, +2 Wisdom
13th: CancerM 6|
+9/+4|
+11/+11/+5|Infected Wound |
14th: Swordsage 3|
+10/+5|
+12/+11/+5| |
15th: CancerM 7|
+11/+6/+1|
+12/+11/+5|Insect Plague, Insect Armor | Boost Spell-like Ability
16th: CancerM 8|
+12/+7/+2|
+13/+12/+5|Viral Ally | Invisibility 1/day (sp) +1 Wisdom
17th: Swordsage 4|
+13/+8/+3|
+13/+13/+6|Shadow Hand Focus (Insightful Strike) |
18th: CancerM 9|
+13/+8/+3|
+13/+13/+7|Sneak Attack +3d6 | Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
19th: CancerM 10|
+14/+9/+4|
+14/+14/+6|Disease Form |
20th: Swordsage 5|
+14/+9/+4|
+14/+14/+6|Quick to Act +2 | Janni Affinity +2, +1 Wisdom[/table]

Skill rank progression:
App: Appraise
Bal: Balance
Blf: Bluff
Clb: Climb
Con: Concentration
Gath: Gather Information
Han: Handle Animal
KLoc: Knowledge (Local)
Lis: Listen
Mov: Move Silently
Srch: Search
Sen: Sense Motive
Slh: Slight of Hand
Tum: Tumble

{table=head]Level|Blf|Con|Gath|Han|Heal|Hide|KLoc|KNat|Lis|Mov |Sen|Spot|Tum
1st |0|4|4|0|3|4|4|0|0|4|1|0|0
2nd |0|5|5|0|3|5|5|0|0|5|2|0|0
3rd |0|5|5|2|3|5|5|0|0|5|2|0|0
4th |0|5|5|4|3|5|5|0|0|5|2|0|0
5th |0|7|5|4|3|6|5|2|0|6|2|0|0
6th |0|8|5|5|3|8|5|2|0|6|2|0|2
7th |0|10|8|5|3|10|5|2|0|6|2|0|3
8th |0|11|11|5|3|11|5|2|0|6|2|0|6
9th |0|12|12|5|3|12|5|2|0|6|4|0|9
10th|0|13|13|5|3|13|5|2|1|6|5|0|12
11th|1|14|14|5|3|14|5|2|1|6|6|1|14
12th|1|14|14|5|3|14|5|2|1|6|6|1|14
13th|1|16|16|5|3|16|5|2|1|6|6|1|16
14th|1|17|17|5|3|17|5|2|1|7|7|1|17
15th|2|18|18|5|3|18|5|2|2|8|8|2|18
16th|4|19|19|5|3|19|5|2|3|8|8|3|19
17th|4|20|20|5|3|20|5|2|3|9|9|4|20
18th|5|21|21|5|3|21|5|2|4|10|10|4|21
19th|5|22|22|5|3|22|5|2|5|11|11|5|22
20th|5|23|23|5|3|23|5|2|5|13|13|5|23
[/table]
Skill Tricks:
Lv 14: Acrobatic Backstab
Lv 17: Back on Your Feet

Maneuver Progression:
{table=head]Level|Maneuvers|Stances
Lv 5 (IL 3)| Moment of perfect Mind Cloak of Deception Drain Vitality Emerald Razor Clever Positioning Burning Blade|Island of Blades
Lv 8 (IL 5)| Feigned Opening| Assassin's Stance
Lv 14 (IL 9)| Bloodletting Strike|
Lv 17 (IL 11)| Ghost Blade Shadow Noose (lose Drain Vitality)|
Lv 20 (IL 13)| Shadow Blink|Shifting Defence
[/table]

Warp Touch:
Lv5: Lump on Head & Body covered with tufts of hair
Lv6: Swollen Head (+4 int)
Lv8: Very long Tongue & Longer Legs (+2 Dex)
Lv9: Hair turned white

Level 20 Equipment
Offensive:

Sword of Subtlety (DMG 228; enhanced to +5 Unholy Shadow Hand)

Defensive:

+5 Aporter Greater Blurring Mobility Ghost Ward Mithril Chain Shirt
Darkskull (DMG 254)
Boots of Swift Passage (MiC 78)
Ring of Mind Shielding (DMG 232)
Ring of Protection +5
Hat of Disguise (DMG 258)
Vest of Resistance +5

Utility:

Belt of Hidden Pouches (RotW 173)
Phoenix Cloak (MiC 210) of Charisma +6
Gloves of Dexterity +6
Periapt of Wisdom +6
Useful mundane items from this list (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4400.0).

Glum was born as the umpteenth child of a cheap prostitute, down in the lower region of Tulmuth. With no known father and an absent mother, he had to rely on his elder brothers. Needless to say, that was not a great position either. He spent his days begging, only to hand over his earnings to his bullying brothers. A great, defining moment in Glum’s life was around the time of his tenth birthday: the arrival of a luminous ascetic from the church of Pelor, called Luminucius. This man wanted to end the poverty, right the wrongs. Little did he know that this would cause his church so much trouble.

Glum and his brothers came to beg money and food off the priest, which he gave quite readily while telling them how to learn a real profession. Of course, Glum was allowed to keep very little of these earnings. That is why he visited the missionary once more the same day, telling him about the extortion of his brothers. However, Luminucius did not believe his plea, mistaking him for a frauding beggar. He scolded the boy with the fury like that of the sun god himself.

In the next few years to come, Glum wanted vengeance. Vengeance upon the self-righteous facists that held this city under their charm. This malnourished kid would soon grow and master every skill the slum has to offer...

Level one
Urban Ranger 1
-----
Initiative +2
Short Sword: +1, 1d6 -1
-----
14 HP
AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13
Fort 5 (+1 vs Poison, +2 if spell has specific effect on a common race)
Ref 4 (+2 if spell has specific effect on a common race)
Will 4 (+1 vs Enchantments or Illusions, +2 if spell has specific effect on a common race)
-----
Ability Scores
Str 8 Dex 14 Con 16 Int 10 Wis 18 Cha 6
Skills (see the build section for explanation the abbreviations)
App 1 Clb -1 Con 7 Gath 2 Heal 7 Hide 9 Jump -1 KLoc 4 Lis 5 Mov 5 Srch 1 Sen 5 Slh 5 Spot 5
-----
Abilities: Low-Light Vision, Emulate Race, Sound Imitation, Immunity to sleep, Favored Enemy Organisation (Church of Pelor) +2, Wild Empathy
Feats: Urban Tracking, Toughness
-----
Noteable Items
Short Sword
light wooden shield
Leather Armor
-----
Combat
Stealth is the key. Spellcasters are not a great concern; the physically strong are. Glum tries to always be one step ahead before any combat might arise - he knows who are or will be his enemies.

Early in his adolescence, Glum was already a wanted criminal. He had slain children from the Pelorian Institute for Orphans on their field trip to the godless people of lower Tulmuth. Seeking refuge from the occasional city guard (or worse: paladin), he founded a home / base of operations in the sewers. In the mean time, he found out more about his lineage: apparently, the traveler that ‘visited’ his mother at the time of his conception was part Janni. With this superior bloodline, he finally had his vengeance upon his brothers. Lower Tulmuth was lawless, and it was his. Using his wits and guerilla strategy, he kept his side of town safe from city guards and religious authorities.

Level five
Urban Ranger 2 / Fighter 2 / Swordsage 1
-----
Initiative +4
Short Sword: +9, 1d6
Short Swords: +7/+7, 1d6/1d6
-----
43 HP
AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14
Fort 11 (+2 vs Poison, +2 if spell has specific effect on a common race)
Ref 8 (+2 if spell has specific effect on a common race)
Will 7 (+1 vs Enchantments or Illusions, +2 if spell has specific effect on a common race)
-----
Ability Scores
Str 8 Dex 16 Con 16 Int 10 Wis 20 Cha 6
Skills
App 3 Clb 0 Con 10 Gath 5 Han 2 Heal 8 Hide 12 Jump 0 KLoc 5 Knat 2 Lis 6 Mov 9 Srch 1 Sen 7 Slh 7 Spot 6
-----
Abilities: Low-Light Vision, Emulate Race, Sound Imitation, Immunity to sleep, Favored Enemy Organisation (Church of Pelor) +2, Wild Empathy, Quick to Act +1, Shadow Hand Focus(Weapon Focus), Maneuvers (see build)
Feats: Urban Tracking, Toughness, Two-Weapon Fighting, Great Fortitude, Poison Immunity (Arsenic), Weapon Finesse
-----
Noteable Items
two Masterwork Shortswords
Mithril Chain shirt
Periapt of Wisdom +1
Gloves of Dexterity +2
Hat of Disguise
-----
Combat
Glums hit-and-run strategy has greatly improved, using maneuvers for both damage and retreating.

It was in the sewers that Glum became even more vile. Near his lair, he encountered an evil taint. On his first encounter with the raw and evil chaos, he grew tufts of hair on his body with a foul smell as well as a great cancerous lump on his head. The brain damage caused an even greater madness in Glum. He was going to expand his rule. The whole city would know poverty and misery far worse than he had! Soon, he learnt to harness the power of the Warp Touch.

Level eight
Urban Ranger 2/ Fighter 2/ Swordsage 2/ Cancer Mage 2
-----
Initiative +9
Standard: Short Sword: +15, 1d6+5
full-round: Short Swords: +13/+13/+8, 1d6+5/1d6+5
-----
64 HP
AC 25, Touch 20, Flat-footed 21
Fort 14 (+2 vs Poison, +2 if spell has specific effect on a common race)
Ref 13 (+2 if spell has specific effect on a common race)
Will 9 (+1 vs Enchantments or Illusions, +2 if spell has specific effect on a common race)
-----
Ability Scores
Str 8 Dex 18 Con 16 Int 14 Wis 22 Cha 6
Skills
App 5 Bal 6 Clb 0 Con 14 Gath 11 Han 3 Heal 9 Hide 18 Jump 2 KLoc 7 Knat 4 Lis 7 Mov 10 Srch 3 Sen 8 Slh 8 Spot 7 Tum 10
-----
Abilities: Low-Light Vision, Emulate Race, Sound Imitation, Immunity to sleep, Favored Enemy Organisation (Church of Pelor) +2, Wild Empathy, Quick to Act +1, Shadow Hand Focus(Weapon Focus), Maneuvers (see build), Sneak Attack +1d6, Disease Host, Contagion (DC 19), Cancerous Companion
Cancerous Companion abilities: Blindsight 30ft
Feats: Urban Tracking, Toughness, Two-Weapon Fighting, Great Fortitude, Poison Immunity (Arsenic), Weapon Finesse, Shadow Blade, Improved Initiative
-----
Noteable Items
two +1 Shadow Hand Shortswords
+1 Mithril Chain shirt
Periapt of Wisdom +2
Gloves of Dexterity +2
Hat of Disguise
-----
Combat
With a high touch AC and high saves, Glum can easily handle mages. Simple warriors can be dealt with by using his contagion ability, but paladins are still a major weakness. Initiative and surprise are his main weapons against those. That, and a dose of cheap poison.

As Glum spread his diseases among the middle class of Tulmuth, the town called upon their most powerful missionary – Luminucius. Hearing this news through one of his ‘usual channels’, Glum was furious. But he had time to prepare. Every night, he assaulted a guard post, leaving their poisoned bodies as a warning to anyone who might want to enforce order.

Level ten
Urban Ranger 2/ Fighter 2/ Swordsage 2/ Cancer Mage 4
-----
Initiative +9
Standard: Short Sword: +17, 1d6+5
full-round: Short Swords: +15/+15/+10, 1d6+5/1d6+5
-----
80 HP
AC 26, Touch 20, Flat-footed 22
Fort 17 (+2 vs Poison, +2 if spell has specific effect on a common race)
Ref 16 (+2 if spell has specific effect on a common race)
Will 12 (+1 vs Enchantments or Illusions, +2 if spell has specific effect on a common race)
-----
Ability Scores
Str 8 Dex 18 Con 16 Int 14 Wis 22 Cha 6
Skills
App 5 Bal 6 Clb 0 Con 16 Gath 13 Han 3 Heal 9 Hide 20 Jump 2 KLoc 7 Knat 4 Lis 8 Mov 10 Srch 3 Sen 11 Slh 8 Spot 7 Tum 16
-----
Abilities: Low-Light Vision, Emulate Race, Sound Imitation, Immunity to sleep, Favored Enemy Organisation (Church of Pelor) +2, Wild Empathy, Quick to Act +1, Shadow Hand Focus(Weapon Focus), Maneuvers (see build), Sneak Attack +1d6, Disease Host, Contagion (DC 21 / 19), Cancerous Companion, Tatterdemalion, Poison(DC 22 / 20), Children of the Night
Cancerous Companion abilities: Blindsight 30ft, 1/day use master's SLA, grant Evasion
Feats: Urban Tracking, Toughness, Two-Weapon Fighting, Great Fortitude, Poison Immunity (Arsenic), Weapon Finesse, Shadow Blade, Improved Initiative, Boost Spell-like Ability
-----
Noteable Items
two +1 Shadow Hand Shortswords
+2 Mithril Chain shirt
Periapt of Wisdom +2
Gloves of Dexterity +2
Vest of Resistance +2
Hat of Disguise
Boots of Swift Passage
Ring of Mind Shielding

Closer to the arrival of Luminicius, Glum started leaving some victims alive, but only those without mage’s talent that had seen him in the guise of wealthy buisinessmen. These guards carried a virus that worked like a spy network to him. Knowledge is power, and Glum was definitely strong at this point.

Soon after Luminicius had entered the city, Glum could find him alone and off-guard. With years of hatred unleashed, the priest was poisoned, infected and strangled to death by a monster that he had created with his own good intentions.

Level fifteen
Urban Ranger 2/ Fighter 2/ Swordsage 3/ Cancer Mage 7
-----
Initiative +10
Standard: Short Sword: +21, 1d6+6 +2d6 vs Good
full-round: Short Swords: +19/+19/+14/+9, 1d6+6/1d6+6 +2d6 vs Good
-----
107 HP
AC 33, Touch 23, Flat-footed 28
Fort 21 (+2 vs Poison, +2 if spell has specific effect on a common race)
Ref 20 (+2 if spell has specific effect on a common race)
Will 17 (+1 vs Enchantments or Illusions, +2 if spell has specific effect on a common race)
-----
Ability Scores
Str 8 Dex 20 Con 16 Int 14 Wis 26 Cha 6
Skills
App 5 Bal 7 Blf 0 Clb 0 Con 21 Gath 18 Han 3 Heal 11 Hide 26 Jump 2 KLoc 7 Knat 4 Lis 11 Mov 13 Srch 3 Sen 16 Slh 9 Spot 11 Tum 23
Skill Tricks: Acrobatic Backstab
-----
Abilities: Low-Light Vision, Emulate Race, Sound Imitation, Immunity to sleep, Favored Enemy Organisation (Church of Pelor) +2, Wild Empathy, Quick to Act +1, Shadow Hand Focus(Weapon Focus), Maneuvers (see build), Sneak Attack +2d6, Disease Host, Contagion (DC 23 / 21), Cancerous Companion, Tatterdemalion, Poison(DC 24 / 22), Children of the Night, Viral Agent, Infected Wound(DC 25), Insect Plague, Insect Armor
Cancerous Companion abilities: Blindsight 30ft, 3/day use master's SLA, grant Evasion, Grant uncanny Dodge (Dex to AC), 50% chance of being affected by mind affecting spell cast at master
Feats: Urban Tracking, Toughness, Two-Weapon Fighting, Great Fortitude, Poison Immunity (Arsenic), Weapon Finesse, Shadow Blade, Improved Initiative, Boost Spell-like Ability (2x), Adaptive Style
-----
Noteable Items
two +1 Unholy Shadow Hand Shortswords
+3 Mobility Mithril Chain shirt
Periapt of Wisdom +4
Gloves of Dexterity +4
Vest of Resistance +4
Hat of Disguise
Boots of Swift Passage
Ring of Mind Shielding
Belt of Hidden Pouches
Phoenix Cloak

After the brutal murder of Luminicius, Glum was in a rush of adrenaline. The world was like a haze to him. He walked the streets openly, causing suffering and enjoying every second of it. His greatest pastime was the torture of priests and the creatively humiliating deaths that followed. The city was his.

Level twenty
Urban Ranger 2/ Fighter 2/ Swordsage 5/ Cancer Mage 10
-----
Initiative +12
Standard: Short Sword: +29, 1d6+11 +2d6 vs Good; +4 to hit & damage on sneak attack +10 on shadow Hand strikes
full-round: Short Swords: +27/+27/+22/+22/+17, 1d6+11/1d6+11 +2d6 vs Good; +4 to hit & damage on sneak attack +10 on shadow Hand strikes
-----
141 HP
AC 43, Touch 36, Flat-footed 37
Fort 24 (+2 vs Poison, +2 if spell has specific effect on a common race)
Ref 25 (+2 if spell has specific effect on a common race)
Will 21 (+1 vs Enchantments or Illusions, +2 if spell has specific effect on a common race)
-----
Ability Scores
Str 8 Dex 22 Con 16 Int 14 Wis 30 Cha 12
Skills
App 5 Bal 8 Blf 6 Clb 0 Con 26 Gath 26 Han 6 Heal 12 Hide 32 Jump 2 KLoc 7 Knat 4 Lis 16 Mov 19 Srch 3 Sen 23 Slh 10 Spot 16 Tum 29
Skill Tricks: Acrobatic Backstab, Back on Your Feet
-----
Abilities: Low-Light Vision, Emulate Race, Sound Imitation, Immunity to sleep, Favored Enemy Organisation (Church of Pelor) +2, Wild Empathy, Quick to Act +1, Shadow Hand Focus(Weapon Focus), Maneuvers (see build), Sneak Attack +3d6, Disease Host, Contagion (DC 25 / 23), Cancerous Companion, Tatterdemalion, Poison(DC 26 / 24), Children of the Night, Viral Agent, Infected Wound(DC 30), Insect Plague, Insect Armor, Viral Ally, Invisibility 1/day (sp), Shadow Hand Focus (Insightful Strike), Disease Form, Janni Affinity +2
Cancerous Companion abilities: Blindsight 60ft, 3/day use master's SLA, grant Evasion, Grant uncanny Dodge (Dex to AC/can't be flanked), 50% chance of being affected by mind affecting spell cast at master, can use touch attack
Feats: Urban Tracking, Toughness, Two-Weapon Fighting, Great Fortitude, Poison Immunity (Arsenic), Weapon Finesse, Shadow Blade, Improved Initiative, Boost Spell-like Ability (2x), Adaptive Style, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
-----
Equipment
Offensive:

Defensive:

+5 Aporter Greater Blurring Mobility Ghost Ward Mithril Chain Shirt
Darkskull (DMG 254)
Boots of Swift Passage (MiC 78)
Ring of Mind Shielding (DMG 232)
Ring of Protection +5
Hat of Disguise (DMG 258)
Vest of Resistance +5

Utility:

Belt of Hidden Pouches (RotW 173)
Phoenix Cloak (MiC 210) of Charisma +6
Gloves of Dexterity +6
Periapt of Wisdom +6
Useful mundane items from this list (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4400.0).

Heliomance
2010-04-20, 08:07 AM
Not really alive, but not exactly dead.

Name: Maiyr - Bringer of Death
Race: Elf
Build:
Cleric 7/Vermin Lord 2/Cancermage 7/Mineral Warrior/Vermin Lord +3

{table]Class | Str | Dex | Con | Int | Wis | Cha | BAB | Base Fort | Base Ref | Base Will | Feats | Class Features
Cleric 1 | 10 | 12 | 9 | 14 | 17 | 14 | 0 | 2 | 0 | 2 | Toughness | Rebuke Undead
Cleric 2 | 10 | 12 | 9 | 14 | 17 | 14 | 1 | 3 | 0 | 3 | |
Cleric 3 | 10 | 12 | 9 | 14 | 17 | 14 | 2 | 3 | 1 | 3 | Great Fortitude |
Cleric 4 | 10 | 12 | 9 | 14 | 18 | 14 | 3 | 4 | 1 | 4 | |
Cleric 5 | 10 | 12 | 9 | 14 | 18 | 14 | 3 | 4 | 1 | 4 | |
Cleric 6 | 10 | 12 | 9 | 14 | 18 | 14 | 4 | 5 | 2 | 5 | Verminfriend |
Cleric 7 | 10 | 12 | 9 | 14 | 18 | 14 | 5 | 5 | 2 | 5 | |
Vermin Lord 1 | 10 | 12 | 9 | 14 | 19 | 14 | 5 | 5 | 2 | 7 | | Chitin +1
Vermin Lord 2 | 10 | 12 | 9 | 14 | 19 | 14 | 6 | 5 | 2 | 8 | Poison Immunity | Blood Drain
Cancermage 1 | 10 | 12 | 9 | 14 | 19 | 14 | 6 | 7 | 4 | 8 | | Sneak Attack +1d6, Disease Host
Cancermage 2 | 10 | 12 | 9 | 14 | 19 | 14 | 7 | 7 | 4 | 8 | | Contagion, Cancerous Companion
Cancermage 3 | 10 | 12 | 9 | 14 | 20 | 14 | 8 | 8 | 5 | 9 | Extend Spell | Tatterdemalion, Posion
Cancermage 4 | 10 | 12 | 9 | 14 | 20 | 14 | 9 | 8 | 5 | 9 | | Children of the Night
Cancermage 5 | 10 | 12 | 9 | 14 | 20 | 14 | 9 | 9 | 6 | 9 | | Sneak Attack +2d6, Viral Agent
Cancermage 6 | 10 | 12 | 9 | 14 | 20 | 14 | 10 | 9 | 6 | 10 | Practiced Spell Caster | Infected Wound
Cancermage 7 | 10 | 12 | 10 | 14 | 20 | 14 | 11 | 10 | 7 | 10 | | Insect Plague, Insect Armour
Mineral Warrior | 12 | 12 | 14 | 12 | 18 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 7 | 10 | | Earth Strike, Darkvision, Damage Reduction, NA +3
Vermin Lord 3 | 12 | 12 | 14 | 12 | 18 | 12 | 12 | 11 | 8 | 10 | | Spider Hand
Vermin Lord 4 | 12 | 12 | 14 | 12 | 18 | 12 | 13 | 11 | 8 | 11 | Tomb Tainted Soul | Chitin +2, Swarm Armour
Vermin Lord 5 | 12 | 12 | 14 | 12 | 18 | 12 | 13 | 11 | 8 | 11 | | Wings of the Vermin, Vermin Servant 4 HD[/table]

Level 5:
You have an elven cleric, plays like an elven cleric with odd domains

Level 10:
Maiyr now summons vermin to fight alongside her in battle, and to help get that little bit of sneak attack

Level 15:
Summoning vast hordes of small things to join the battle, Maiyr supports by weakening her foes with sickness and disease

Level 20:
Master of vermin and sickness, Maiyrs form has been changed by an ally into a creature of earth and death, drawing out its powers to wade in and finish off her foes, already dying from her disease and filth.

Heliomance
2010-04-20, 08:09 AM
Just one thing I want to know - where do the rivers of blood come in?

Annabelle Cartwright, Mistress of the Five Plagues

Sources:
PHB, DMG, Complete Arcane, Book of Vile Darkness, Magic Item Compendium, Races of Destiny

Character Concept: While reading through the Cancer Mage I saw the fact that by spreading diseases he could control people by lowering his INT score, which led me to believe that, oddly enough, it would work well for a social manipulator kind of build. So I thought Warlock would make a great base to build off with their at will Charm invocation.

The only problem with that is that Warlocks have poor Fort Saves, but then I saw Mindbender which inexplicably has good Fort Saves and fit my concept better than a couple levels of Ranger.

I briefly considered Bard or Beguiler but they would only have a small number of spells per day at their disposal so the Cancerous Companion would eat them up pretty quickly while the Warlock has less need to restrain itself and using it to create undead with The Dead Walk would almost counteract the lost number she ‘d lost by taking 2 non-spellcasting Mindbender Levels and Cancer Mage. The only problem is that it relies on the “and so forth” line in the Cancerous Companion’s text to apply to using her caster level for the spell like ability. It seems in line with the intent but it’s extremely vague.

Looking at the classes chosen I got the gist of my background and the rest should speak for itself.

Incubation
Annabelle Cartwright weaved through the empty streets, holding tightly to the book she held under her arm. The Loughsborough was dying. The disease had come out of nowhere and despite the Temple’s best efforts it had spread beyond their ability to contain it, even the high-and-mighty priests had started to show symptoms of it, she couldn’t help but smile at that. She approached the gate, their were supposed to be soldiers there, stopping the disease’s spread; but they’d decided that all hope was lost and were spending their last days of life with their loved ones. She let out a long, hacking cough. She wouldn’t be found among the dead if she had the choice, and thanks to this book she’d stole from the temple she might.

The Temple had it locked away, it was dangerous and blaspheme they said, but their god wasn’t helping them so why not try another path? A man in a hooded cloak was leaning against the wall he waved to her. “You’re late Anna, I was starting to worry. Did you acquire the book?” he asked a hint of hope in his voice. She gave him a smug little smirk “Have I ever let you down before Jacob?” She handed the leather bound tome to him and he eagerly began to read it. As he frantically flipped the pages looking for source of their salvation he felt the sharp blade prick his neck. “I read the book before coming here.” She said her voice tinged with regret. “I’m afraid that the ritual to gain his power requires a sacrifice to call him here, and I’d rather it be you then me.” Annabelle laughed as she pulled the knife across her brother’s neck and started to draw the pentagram in his blood…

What is this build designed to do? Annabelle is designed to be a party face/manipulator/Intelligence Gatherer character who , tough honestly she’d probably function better as a BBEG. She has good social skills, in part thanks to her high Charisma and her Beguiling Influence power. If she needs to acquire some secret, information she can try to Charm them, infect them with Contagion and Dominate them with Viral Ally or, in extreme cases, assume disease form and acquire the knowledge first hand, she’s also a competent sneak in her own right with decent Hide and Move Silently skills.

When it comes to combat she can either blast away with her Eldritch Blast, or take a full attack with her Longbow; although her primary mode of combat is wearing the enemy down with Minions. By using her “The Dead Walk” Invocation on Desecrated ground with her Rod of Undeath she can, assuming the doubling ability only applies before the Desecration effect, she can control 96 Hit Dice of Undead, her Cancerous Companion can control an additional 64, in essence allowing her a total of 160HD of Undead controlled which isn’t bad for someone who only has 8 Caster Levels. Additionally using her Viral Ally ability she can Dominate up to three people with her Contagion for as long as they’re infected with the disease, keeping a minimum of 3 INT. She can have one person eternally charmed and her Cancerous Companion can have one itself adding another five people to her control, though only three would be fully. In combat her Companion has almost as many options as her, as most of Annabelle’s strength lies in her Spell Like Abilities and her Cancerous companion can use any of these to a total of three times per day without costing her an action. If she suspects that the target has a good Fort/Will save she'd use one of her Boost Spell Like Ability uses to make the spell harder to resist.

What is the build bad at doing? Annabelle is incredibly fragile, having all of her levels with d6 Hit Dice and no Con modifier means that she can’t take a hit, it’s sad that Toughness actually helps a fraction with this. This means she has to rely on other party members / her minions to keep the enemies attention away from her and without the utility Warlock powers, Walk Unseen, Fell Flight or Flee the Scene it’s harder to escape from potentially deadly situations, although here her Disease Form can help her out I considered dropping Cancer Mage 10 for the Necropoliton Template to up her hit dice to d12’s but I think that Disease Form is too nifty an ability to just drop like that.

Annabelle Cartrwright, Mistress of the Five Plagues
Female Human Warlock 6/ Mindbender 3/ Cancer Mage 8/Mindbender +1/Cancer Mage +2

Hit Dice:20d6+3 (75)
Initiative: +5
Armour Class: 33 (10+ 9 [+5 Ghostward Baneblind Tatterdemalion], +5 DEX, +4 Natural , +5 Deflection [Ring of Protection+5])
Touch: 25 (10 +5 DEX, +5 [Ghostward], +5 Deflection [Ring of Protection +5)
Flat Footed: 28 (though she has Improved Uncanny Dodge).

Base Attack Bonus: +13/+8/+3
Grapple: +12
Attack: Melee, Warlocks Sceptre +14(1d6+1 Crit x2) OR Ranged, +5 Seeking, Wounding Magebane Longbow +23 (1d8+5 Crit x3)
Full Attack:Melee, Warlocks Sceptre +14/+ 9/+4(1d6+1 Crit x2 OR Ranged, +5 Seeking, Wounding Magebane Longbow +23/18/+13 (1d8+5 Crit x3)
Space: 5ft/5ft
Saves: Fort: +20 (+13 Base, +2 Great Fortitude, +5 Vest of Resistance) Reflex+20(+10 Base, +5 Ability, +5 Vest of Resistance) Will: +26(+12 Base, +9 Ability, +5 Vest of Resistance)

Skills: Bluff +28(+34 with Beguiling Influence), Concentration +23, Diplomacy +14 (+20 with Beguiling Influence), Heal +12, Hide +22, Intimidate+17 (+23 with Beguiling Influence), Knowledge (Nature) +4, Listen +18, Move Silently +22, Sense Motive +25, Spot +18, Use Magic Device +26

Feats:
Human – Great Fortitude
1st – Able Learner
3rd - Toughness
6th – Poison Immunity (Drow)
9th – Mortalbane
12th – Boost Spell Like Ability
15th – Ability Focus (Charm)
18th – Ability Focus (Disease Form)

Class Features:

Warlock: Eldritch Blast 4d6, Detect Magic at will, Damage Reduction 1/cold Iron, Deceive Item

Mindbender: Telepathy (100ft), Push the Weak Mind 1/day (DC: 23), Skill Boost , Mindread 2/day (DC: 22), Eternal Charm (DC 26),

Cancer Mage: Sneak Attack +3d6, Disease Host, Contagion 10/day (DC 22), Cancerous Companion*, Tatterdemalion, Poison 10/day (DC 23), Children of the Night, Viral Agent, Infected Wound 10/day (DC 29), Insect Plague 1/day, Insect Armour, Viral Ally, Disease Form

*Cancerous Companion Abilities:, Blindsight 60ft, Can use a spell or spell-like ability Annabelle's on its own as a standard action three times per day, requiring no action on the part of Annabelle, gives Annabelle Evasion, gives Annabelle Improved Uncanny Dodge, Mind affecting spells have a 50% chance of effecting the Cancerous Companion instead of Annabelle, Can form a 1-ft. tendril of flesh capable of making touch attacks. The Cancerous Companion has an INT of 14.

Invocations:
Warlock 1: Beguiling Influence (+6 Bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy and Intimidate, lasts 24 Hours)
Warlock 2: Summon Swarm (As the spell except duration of Concentration)
Warlock 4: See the Unseen (Gives Annabelle Darkvision 60ft and See Invisibility as the spell for 24 hours)
Warlock 6: Charm (DC: 26) (As the Spell Charm Monster, can only have one charmed creature with this invocation at a time)
Mindbender 3: The Dead Walk (As Animate Dead spell, but can choose not to use the material components. If you don't provide the material components they crumble to dust after 1min/level.)

Ability Scores:
STR: 8, DEX: 20(14 Basic, +6 Gloves of Dexterity), CON: 10, INT: 14, WIS: 28 (15 Basic, +2 Level Ups, at 12th & 16th, +5 Tome of Understanding, +6 Periapt of Wisdom), CHA: 26(16 Basic, +3Level Ups (4th, 8th, 20th), +1 Tome of Influence and Leadership, +6 Cloak of Charisma)

Equipment:
+5 Ghostward Baneblind (Human) Tatterdemalion (51,000gp)
Warlocks Sceptre (28,000gp)
+5 Seeking Wounding Magebane Longbow (162,375gp)
Periapt of Wisdom +6 (36,000gp)
Cloak of Charisma +6 (36,000gp)
Gloves of Dexterity +6 (36,000gp)
Tome of Understanding +5 (137,500gp)
Tome of Leadership and Influence +1 (27,500gp)
Ring of Protection +5 (50,000gp)
Ring of Freedom of Movement (40,000gp)
Hat of Disguise (1,800gp)
Vest of Resistance +5 (25,000gp)
Rod of Undead Mastery (10,000gp)
Lavender & Green Ioun Stone (40,000gp)
Portable Hole (20,000gp)
Quiver of Ehlonnha (1,800gp)
Veil of Allure (14,000gp)
60 x Arrows (3gp)
Wand of Assay Resistance (21,000gp)
Wand of Greater Invisibility (21,000gp)
Wand of Grease (750gp)
Wand of Fly (11,250gp)
3 x Scrolls of Greater Teleport (6,825 gp)
1 x Scroll of Sympathy (4,500gp)
5 x Scrolls of Desecrate (1,000gp)
1 x Scroll of Timestop (3,825gp)
2 x Scroll Cases (2gp)
200ft of Silk Rope (40gp),
Signal Whistle (8sp)
160 x Black Onyx Gems (Worth 25gp each, for the use of The Dead Rise, 4,000gp total)
479gp, 2sp

Infection
[i]Annabelle stalked through the ruins of her home town. It had all begun here, it seemed appropriate that the end would start here to, she was no longer the same, but no one living ever was. She’d lost her hair diseases festered all over her skin insects covered her body, except for the tumour on her right side, their buzzing like a soothing song.It’s almost time. The tumour throbbed the message in her head. "I know, one final task and it ends, our master will enact his plan and we will be greatly rewarded.” It throbbed again in agreement. Appropriately enough the column of flame erupted on the steps of the temple where she stole the tome from in the first place. Samnugor the goat-legged Devil was the agent who’d brokered her contract with the master in the first place. “It’s been a while sweetie.” He said, always the smooth talker. She formally bowed to him, an odd looking gesture in her tatted rags “Yes, I’m no longer that scared little girl running in fear of disease, you’ve seen to that.” He laughed his voice as sweet as honey. “Of course, As I recall, you also tried to run away from your contract, but it's good to know you're past that."

Annabelle shook her head at just how foolish she'd been, trying to break a deal with a devil hadn't been the smartest thing she'd ever tried to do, her master had simply bought it back in force, giving her the tumour that had killing her until she'd swore on some unholy altar to her lord to serve him eternally if he would stop the tumour from killing her. Now it was one of her greatest allies, even if she suspected that it reported on her to the master. The devils stroked his beard, "You're not running away now are you sweetie? Especially since you’re the one bringing the plagues; and not just diseases at that.”

Annabelle looked confused at his statement. “What do you mean? You’ve had me out spreading diseases to destroy some unimportant towns and recover some important relics for the master. ” Samnugor just shook his head. “Yes, but disease is only the second of the five plagues you spread. Would you like to hear the rest?” She scowled at him, bearing her rotting teeth. “You’re always so infuriating when you know something I don’t. Just tell me now so I don’t have to suffer your foolishness for to long!” He had the gall to look hurt at her words “Oh how you wound me so!” But only for a second before the grin ran back to his face and he started to explain.

“Very well sweetie, though I’m sure you’ll like what I have to say. The first plague is the Plague of Vermin; you call upon teething swarms of locusts, rats, spiders all of which are a cover and scapegoat for the second plague. The Plague of Disease, rot their bodies and their minds and hearts will soon follow, as you found out first hand sweetie, allowing us to gain more followers and more power. The third plague is the Plague of Undead, when the corpses pile up high you call them forth to serve you and the weakened masses try to hold back the untiring horde you strike and unleash the fourth plague, the Plague of Treachery. You activate your dormant allies among the diseased host; the viruses themselves bow to your command and take control of their hosts. You unleash brother against brother, father against son, slave against master lovers against themselves until no one can trust anyone anymore.

And finally after being worn away by Vermin, Disease, Undead and Treachery you unleash the Fifth and final plague. Despair. You crush their spirits so effectively that they offer up no resistance against their inevitable defeat and they simply go lay down to die and so you waltz in to their ruined lives hearing their pitiful cries for a swift death and deny them even that small mercy. It is simply an exquisite sight to behold. So, Mistress of the Five Plagues, here is the master’s final task for you. If you carry it out with such elegance as I’ve come to expect from you there will be absolutely nothing that can stand before you…”

Level by Level Breakdown
A list of Class Levels, Skills, Feats & Invocations at the level they're chosen.

Level 1
Warlock 1 Skills: Hide 2, Move Silently 2, Concentration 4, Sense Motive 2, Bluff 4, Intimidate 4, Diplomacy 2 Feats: Able Learner, Great Fortitude Invocation:Beguiling Influence

Level 2
Warlock 2 Skills: Concentration 5, Bluff 5, Intimidate 5, Heal 2, Use Magic Device 1 Invocation: Summon Swarm

Level 3
Warlock 3 Skills: Hide 3, Move Silently 3, Concentration 6, Sense Motive 3, Diplomacy 3 Feat: Toughness

Level 4
Warlock 4 Skills: Concentration 7, Bluff 6, Intimidate 6, Heal 3, Use Magic Device 2 Invocation: See the Unseen

Level 5
Warlock 5 Skills: Hide 4, Move Silently 4, Concentration 8, Sense Motive 4, Diplomacy 4

At level 5, Annabelle plays out much like a normal warlock, she plays the role of party face pretty well, does some decent damage 3d6 with eldritch blast she can see invisible creatures and gains darkvision and can try to distract and damage enemy spellcasters with summon swarm, but like she will throughout her entire career, she’ll be very fragile so she’ll use her stealth skills to try to remain unseen until she can strike best.

Level 6
Warlock 6, Skills: Concentration 9, Bluff 7, Intimidate 7, Use Magic Device 4 Feat: Poison Immunity (Drow) Invocation: Charm

Level 7
Warlock 6/Mindbender 1 Skills: Hide 5, Move Silently 5, Concentration 10, Knowledge (Nature) 2

Level 8
Warlock 6/Mindbender 2 Skills: Concentration 11, Bluff 8, Intimidate 8, Use Magic Device 6

Level 9
Warlock 6/Mindbender 3 Skills: Hide 6, Move Silently 6, Concentration 12, Use Magic Device 8 Feat: Mortalbane Invocation: The Dead Walk

Level 10
Warlock 6/Mindbender 3/Cancer Mage 1 Skills: Hide 8, Move Silently 8, Concentration 13, Use Magic Device 10

At level 10 Annabelle has picked up a few more tricks and her Eldritch Blast damage increases to 4d6, not good as what dedicated casters could be doing with damage but with Mortalbane she can apply 2d6 extra damage five times a day against living creatures which aren’t outsider for a little extra punch. She has her Charm and Dead Walk Invocations and her Push the Weak Mind from Mindbender. She can try to take an enemy out of the fight with the Charm or [i]Suggest that they stop fighting. With the dead walk she can make a dead enemy an ally, even if only temporary. She no longer needs to talk thanks to her telepathy so she can put her stealthiness to good use without blowing it. She also picks up her first level of Cancer Mage. It doesn’t do much for her at the moment, but 1d6 of sneak attack damage could prove useful in a tight spot. Immunity to disease is a nice effect, you often won’t encounter any diseases but blanket immunity could prove useful if one does.

Level 11
Warlock 6/Mindbender 3/Cancer Mage 2 Skills:Hide 9, Move Silently 9, Concentration 14, Bluff 9, Sense Motive 6, Use Magic Device 11, Spot 1, Listen 1

Level 12
Warlock 6/Mindbender 3/Cancer Mage 3 Skills:Hide 10, Move Silently 10, Concentration 15, Bluff 10, Sense Motive 7, Use Magic Device 12, Spot 2, Listen 2 Feat:Boost Spell Like Ability

Level 13
Warlock 6/Mindbender 3/Cancer Mage 4 Skills:Hide 11, Move Silently 11, Concentration 16, Bluff 11, Sense Motive 8, Use Magic Device 13, Spot 3, Listen 3

Level 14
Warlock 6/Mindbender 3/Cancer Mage 5 Skills:Hide 12, Move Silently 12, Concentration 17, Bluff 12, Sense Motive 9, Use Magic Device 13, Spot 4, Listen 4

Level 15
Warlock 6/Mindbender 3/Cancer Mage 6 Skills:Hide 13, Move Silently 13, Concentration 18, Bluff 13, Sense Motive 10, Use Magic Device 14, Spot 5, Listen 5 Feat: Ability Focus (Charm)

Annabelle picks up quite a bit of her versatility here. In addition to minor buffs such as an extra dice of sneak attack damage, and Tatterdemalion, she picks up her Cancerous Companion that can use one of her spell like abilities once a day. This carries a small degree of risk as it only has blindsight up to 30ft away so she has to get pretty close. The companion also gives her Uncanny Dodge and Evasion, and a fifty percent chance of having the Companion affected by a mind effecting spell or effect instead of her three nice defensive abilities. She has 6 uses of Contagion and Poison and might be wise to use them to weaken enemies. Coincidently she also picks up the Boost Spell Like Ability Feat which allows her to increase the saving throws of each of her Spell Like Abilities three times a day.

She can summon Creatures of the Night ability to summon Bats, Dire Rats or Spiders to help the party flank or Aid Another checks. Her Cancerous Companion will probably be using The Dead Walk and directing the Skeleton/Zombie to help the party but if it gets the chance it might be worth using Charm, as although Annabelle can only have one person charmed at a time, the Cancerous Companion is not Annabelle so can have one person charmed as well. If she’s forced to enter melee she can try and hit someone with an Infected wound which has a decently high save and could knock them down a hit point per hit dice and subtract one off future fort saves if it has an even CON score.

Finally she gains Viral Agent, a minor ability but one that could prove useful in some situations. Use Contagion to spread, say Red Fever, to a captured enemy, give up a point of INT for a while and send them on their way. You’re aware of anything that the victim experiences as long as your in range, which at this level is 6 miles. It could be used to find out where the local mob bosses hideout is or how to bypass the traps in a vast underground lair or other things of a similar nature.

Level 16
Warlock 6/Mindbender 3/Cancer Mage 7 Skills:Hide 14, Move Silently 14, Concentration 19, Bluff 14, Sense Motive 11, Use Magic Device 15, Spot 6, Listen 6

Level 17
Warlock 6/Mindbender 3/Cancer Mage 8 Skills:Hide 15, Move Silently 15, Concentration 20, Bluff 15, Sense Motive 12, Use Magic Device 16, Spot 7, Listen 7

Level 18
Warlock 6/Mindbender 4/Cancer Mage 8 Skills:Hide 16, Move Silently 16, Concentration 21, Bluff 16 Feat: Ability Focus (Eternal Charm)

Level 19
Warlock 6/Mindbender 4/Cancer Mage 9 Skills:Hide 17, Move Silently 17, Concentration 22, Bluff 17, Sense Motive 13, Use Magic Device 17, Spot 8, Listen 8

Level 20
Warlock 6/Mindbender 4/Cancer Mage 10 Skills:Hide 18, Move Silently 18, Concentration 23, Bluff 18, Sense Motive 114, Use Magic Device 18, Spot 9, Listen 9

20th Level sees Annabelle complete the Cancer Mage prestige class after stopping temporarily to pick up Mindbender 4 so she can apply her 18th Level Feat to Eternal Charm. This set starts off with Insect Plague, a small amount of battlefield control, forcing enemies out of squares or, if combined with a way of keeping enemies in one place doing small periodic damage. Insect Armour provides a +4 Natural Armour bonus, which is useful for someone as fragile as Annabelle. She can also Gains Viral Ally allowing her to devote three points of INT upon a disease inflicted with her Contagion ability and treat the victim as Dominated by Dominate Person.

Her Cancerous companion now has blindsight out to 60ft, doubling its offensive range, can use up to three of her spell like abilities a day and gains a 1ft tendril that it can make touch attacks with. It also gives her Improved Uncanny Dodge. the Mindbender level gives Annabelle access to the Eternal Charm power which allows her and her companion to Charm a Large or smaller opponent and have the duration treated as permanent. The extra sneak attack damage isn’t anywhere near necessary and is a little disappointing to get at 19th level in all honestly. But Cancer Mage 10 makes up for it with Disease Form a Supernatural ability with any number of applications ranging from hiding until danger passes, the ultimate stealth walking right by in the infected persons body, attempted assassinations of important people To taking control of a ‘boss’ character and helping the party kill it by using it’s own abilities against it.

Heliomance
2010-04-20, 08:24 AM
Crawling in my skin...

I'm going to do this a slightly different way this time. The character is presented as a vestige (below), followed by his character evolution at 1st, 5th, 15th, and 20th level.

NEW VESTIGE: Noxius, The Immortal Plague
Vestige level: 5th
Binding DC: 25
Special Requirement: No

Noxius was a monk who spent his life seeking purification through purging himself of disease and poison. In the end, he purged himself of his very humanity, becoming the disease that he loathed.

Legend: There once was an order of monks who prided themselves on their purity. Their most promising initiate, Noxu, was as handsome as he was proud. He boasted to the world: "Look at us! Our masters are immune to age, disease, and madness! Truly we have matched even the heavens in our purity!" The hubris of the order soon attracted the attention of Baalzebul, the Slug Lord, Lord of the Seventh. He sensed the potential for power and guile in Noxu - if only the initiate could be shaped to the Slug Lord's will.

The Slug Lord brought his wrath down upon the order. Crawling insects, plagues, poisonous vermin, and devils attacked: overnight the monastary became a slaughterhouse. Only Noxu survived. Covered in vermin and disease, he fled the monastary. Too proud to seek a cleric in his ruined state, he repeated the mantras of his masters over and over, trying to purify himself of the diseases that infested him. Furious, he cursed the world over and over again for damning him to such a fate. Baalzebul watched with cruel glee and granted Noxu's unspoken prayer, giving him immunity to disease - but not to the horrible boils and cancers that they caused. He gave life to the largest cancer growing within Noxu's body, creating a minion to guide Noxu's path towards damnation.

The cancer whispered to Noxu: "Look at yourself! You have purified your inside of the demonic taint! A feat that even your masters could not accomplish! Now you need only to purge your outside as well! Pass this disease onto others, and you will be cured!"

Noxu, desperate to regain his once-handsome looks, found an old woman, dying in her home. He touched her, and watched in amazement as one of the diseases left his system, entering her. For a brief moment, he breathed without pain, and his hand was bronzed and handsome once more. He barely noticed as the old woman died in front of him. But as he slept, the disease returned.

Noxu continued to live in the sewers and back alleys, slowly spreading the diseases that he had been tainted with, each step falling further down the road of evil. The stronger he became, the more diseases he needed to spread each day to purify himself. Noxu the initiate became Noxu the murderer. Desperate, he replaced his plagued and bloody arms with metal, only to find that the corruption spread even further down the rest of his body. He became famous as a ruthless killer whose very touch was death, and he found himself hounded by the servants of good. The cancer spoke to him once more: "You have surpassed your masters in strength and purity! Why do you not lead as they did? Create your own order, and in numbers defeat your enemies!"

Convinced of his superiority, Noxu the murderer became Noxius the Master. A master not of unhallowed monks, but of ninjas - the Order of the Slow Death. Obsessed with purity, his order divided all things as pure and impure, light and dark, mortality and immortality. They became a shadow organization to the Shadow Sun - as the Shadow Sun represented the true balance of light and dark, the Slow Death represented the attempt to utterly eradicate that balance - to completely purify themselves of the taint of mortality.

One day, Noxius's most promising initiate came to him. While Noxius remained covered in insects and boils, the initiate was pure and glowing as he once was. She asked him: "How can you claim to be a master of the order, if even you will one day grow old and die?" Noxius looked within himself for the answer, and found nothing. Inside he was as much disease and filth as he was outside. "Give up your attachment to this world," came the incessant whispers from his body.

Noxius sought to destroy himself, to release himself to purity once and for all. As the initiate watched in horror, Noxius's body dissolved into dust and rot. "He's done it - he's ascended to immortality!" cheered the other initiates. The first initiate, however, could not speak, for she felt a hideous presence inside of her, an unseen plague.

Before the night was through, every member of the Order of the Slow Death was a plague-ridden corpse. Noxius had ascended to immortality at last - but in doing so he became nothing more than a plague upon the wind, doomed to live as a parasite for the rest of his existence. And from his vermin-ridden throne, Baalzebul smiled.

Manifestation: Noxius has no visible manifestation - only a foul odor in the air as nearby food and water rots in seconds.

Sign: One of your hands becomes filthy and cancerous. You may still disguise or conceal your hand.

Influence: You become obsessed with your personal appearance and cannot stand the sight or smell of undeath, vermin, or disease.

Granted abilities:
Disease Host: You are immune to diseases while you bind Noxius, though their effects are still visible.
Contagion Touch: Once every five rounds, your touch carries the power of the Contagion spell, however the disease cannot be contracted by other victims and lasts only 24 hours.
Poisonous touch: Once every five rounds, your touch carries the power of the Poison spell
Insect Armor: You gain a +4 enhancement bonus to your natural armor.
Bonus feats: You gain Improved Unarmed Strike and Blind-Fight as bonus feats. You can deliver unarmed strikes as a monk of your binder level. You can deliver your Contagion Touch or Poison Touch as part of a single unarmed strike and deal unarmed strike damage in addition to the spell effect.
Special: If you bind both Noxius and Ronove, you deal damage with unarmed strikes as a monk of your binder level plus four.

Noxius, the Immortal Plague
CE Human Monk 2/Barbarian 1/Cancer Mage 10/Swordsage 1/Shadow Sun Ninja 6

BAB +15 (using fractional BAB, otherwise +13)

ACF: Decisive Strike (Monk), Bear Totem (Barbarian)

Questionable rules stuff: First, as mentioned in the above vestige history, after being cursed by Baalzebul and fleeing to the sewers, Noxu changes his alignment from LN to CE - this disqualifies him from monk (he loses nothing), and qualifies him for barbarian (as he stews in his rage and fury). If this is too cheesy for you, he can be a LE Monk 2/Ftr 1 instead and just take Toughness as his fighter bonus feat.

Second, again mentioned in the vestige history, Noxu is actually not a Shadow Sun Ninja, but the leader of a competing evil school - again because of alignment fluff in the PrC that would otherwise conflict with cancer mage.

Stats 32 PB at 1st level
Str: 16
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 12
Wis: 14
Cha: 8
(Increase Wis at every stat boost level)

Stats at 20th level with +6 Belt of Magnificence and +5 Tome of Understanding:
Str: 22
Dex: 20
Con: 20
Int: 18
Wis: 30
Cha: 14

Feats:
1: Great Fortitude
1B Human: Poison Immunity
1B: Improved Unarmed Strike (Monk)
1B: Stunning Fist (Monk)
2B: Improved Trip (Monk)
3B: Toughness (Barbarian)
3: Pain Touch
6: Craven
9: Poison Spell
12: Superior Unarmed Strike
14B: Weapon Focus (Unarmed Strike) (Swordsage)
15: Dark Stalker
18: Sickening Strike

Skills: 4+2 = 6. Heal (2R Cross-class), Knowledge (Nature) (2R cross-class), Hide 4R, Move Silently 4R, Craft (Poison) 4R, Tumble 4R

1st level: LE Human Monk 1

Okay, who brought the monk to the Char Op contest?! Seriously though, monk qualifies easily for the prestige class and works well with it. Cancer Mage has such varied class features that it was difficult to pin down a focus for its abilities.

Eventually I decided to focus on touch attacks - essentially making a gish without levels in spell-casting. Weird, huh? Touch spells, unarmed strike, and stunning fist can all be combined in 1 attack as per Complete Arcane's feat rulings, leading to this character build.

The ultimate goal - mostly achieved by 15th level - is to be moving in and out of melee, each round doing a single unarmed strike combined with a touch spell and stunning fist for 12d8 base unarmed strike, plus 5d6+20 sneak attack, plus other damage modifiers like strength and magic, as well as two mundane poisons, the poison spell, stunning fist, and blindness - all in one hit.

And every odd round the cancer familiar will also be delivering a 12d8+10 negative energy touch attack with most of the same things applied to it, while every even round the cancer familiar will be healing the main character for 12d8+10 as a swift action on its part, keeping the monk skirmishing all day long (and on even rounds the familiar can also deliver a Poison or Contagion spell on the opponent).

But Noxu has a long way to go before he's there. Starting from 1st level, he's set in his party role as a skirmisher and scout. He has immunity to one poison - I'm going to go with sleep-smoke. It's got a decent DC for 1stlevel, and later on Noxu will pick up poison use through another method.

Tactics: You're a skirmisher. Scout ahead while hiding and start the fight with a thrown vial of Sleep-Smoke, aiming for the ground centered behind the largest group of opponents. Then melee. 1/day Stunning Fist (DC 12, DC 14 with Decisive Strike). On any round that you can full attack, use Decisive Strike to deal 2d6+6 damage.

Equipment: At 1st level you're basically a placeholder character. So you're going to be partly battlefield control with thrown poisons.

Sleep-Smoke x12 (50g) - this is an inhaled poison you throw that lasts 2 rounds, hits up to a 10ft radius and then 20ft 2nd round, DC 15 or unconscious. Remember: you're immune to it.

Roach Paste x6 (50g) - another inhaled poison. Only a 10ft radius (so more party-friendly), but its initial effect is to nauseate (DC 13). Useful when your party members might get caught in the sleep-smoke, or if opponents are likely to awaken unconscious foes.

Aboleth Mucus x3 (60g) - a third inhaled "poison" that is actually alchemical, so you won't poison yourself with it accidentally when preparing it. DC 19 fortitude, or the opponent loses the ability to breathe air for three hours and begins to suffocate. This is almost guaranteed to kill a living opponent. Use it on bosses that you catch unaware, etc.

5th level: CE Human Monk 2/Barbarian 1/Cancer Mage 2

We return to Noxu at 5th level, as he gets his first touch attacks.

Noxu has gotten into Cancer Mage as early as possible, which means he's immune to diseases. I'm going to assume that you don't get infinite strength.

While I resisted posting an image of Jax from Mortal Combat, Noxu has by now replaced his arms with metal ones in an attempt to stop the encroaching disease - with his mighty arms graft combined with the battlefist, he now attacks as a monk 1 size larger and as a +1 weapon, and gains a slam attack as well.

Tactics:
Ride in on your trained wyvern and do your melee thing. A wyvern is only 3,000g to purchase in Arms & Equipment, and cancer mage has ride as a class skill, so now you've got a poison dispenser and flying mount.

You have martial weapon proficiency, so buy a reach weapon and a composite longbow for when you can't get to opponents easily. 3/day the Greatreach Bracers also allow you to have 15ft reach with your fists during your round.

Special abilities: Rage 1/day, Stunning Fist 2/day DC 15 (stunned then nauseated), DC 17 with Decisive Strike, Contagion 2/day DC 16.

Using Contagion:
Blinding Sickness: It's a 50/50 chance of blinding an opponent after 2 failed DC 16 Fort saves. I'm not impressed.
Cackle fever: Not many creatures have a low wisdom. This won't see use except against the occasional evil cleric or druid.
Filth fever: Pass.
Mindfire: 1d4 Int damage can knock out most animals in 1 or 2 hits. Very useful.
Red Ache: 1d6 Str damage is the best all-purpose disease against strong opponents.
Shakes: 1d8 Dex damage is terrific against dragons and good to debuff an opponent's AC
Slimy Doom: 1d4 Con combined with your wyvern venom can add up quickly.

R1:
Free: Rage
Move: Ride in on wyvern! The wyvern has Flyby Attack, so they can attack at any point in the move.
Standard: Stunning Fist +10, 1d8+6+1d6 Sneak Attack. Opponent is stunned 1 round, then nauseated the next round, and Contagion for DC 16 or lose 1d6 Strength.
Wyvern standard: Sting +10 melee (1d6+4 plus poison), DC 17 Fort or 2d6 Con damage.

On an AOO: Hit with Decisive Strike while the wyvern hits with its sting.

R2:
Full round: Decisive Strike +10, 2d8+12+1d6 Sneak Attack. Opponent is stunned 1 round, then nauseated the next round, and Contagion for DC 16 or lose 1d6 Strength.
Wyvern: Sting +10 melee (1d6+4 plus poison) and bite +8 melee (2d8+4) and 2 wings +8 melee (1d8+2) and 2 talons +8 melee (2d6+4)

Equipment:
Wyvern, Mighty Arms Graft (Faiths of Eberron), Battlefist (EBCS), Greatreach Bracers (MIC), 600g to spend on an exotic saddle, mundane weapons, barding, and poisons.

10th level: CE Human Monk 2/Barbarian 1/Cancer Mage 7

Noxu now has Contagion (DC 17), Poison (DC 18), and Infected Wound (No save/DC 21) for touch attacks, each of them 7/day. 3/day his familiar can also deliver those for him, for a mini-nova. With Craven, Noxu has sneak attack 2d6+10, providing a solid damage boost. He also has Poison Spell: a feat that allows him to add a mundane poison to any spell he casts. This is not a metamagic feat and doesn't change the level of the spells that he uses it with, so like the Sudden Metamagic feats it's usable with spell-like abilities, per Complete Arcane pg. 71.

Additionally, the +1 Necklace of Natural Weapons with Assassination and Virulent enhancements allows Noxu to use all poisons without fear with his fists, increases their DC by 1, and their secondary effects occur in 5 rounds rather than 10.

Tactics:
R1:
Free: Rage!
Move: Move out of hiding to opponent
Standard: Punch the enemy. Assuming he gets SA, 5d6+16 Damage plus mundane poison - Dragon Bile DC 26 or 3d6 Strength damage (coated on battlefist). Stunning Fist for DC 19 or stunned and then nauseated. Poison for 1d10 Con damage, DC 18. Dragon Bile as part of mundane poison for DC 27 or 3d6 Strength damage (Poison Spell on Poison). Infected Wound for 1 Con damage.

Then the Cancer familiar uses Poison for 1d10 Con damage, DC 18. Dragon Bile as part of mundane poison for DC 27 or 3d6 Strength damage (Poison Spell on Poison).
Swift: Apply poison to fist once again if poison is used (using Alchemical retainer)

So in total from 1 attack: 5d6+14 Damage, stunned, nauseated, 6d6 Str damage, 2d10+1 Con damage (6d6 Str damage repeating in 5 rounds)

Gear: 49K
Mighty Arms Graft (Faiths of Eberron), Battlefist (EBCS), Greatreach Bracers (MIC), Monk's Belt, +1 Assassination Virulent Necklace of Natural Weapons, *18,600g) Ring of Counterspells (Cure Disease or Dispel Magic), Permanent Enlarge Person spell, alchemical capsule retainer, self-crafted Dragon Bile poison x18, 600g spare for mundane equipment

15th level: CE Human Monk 2/Barbarian 1/Cancer Mage 10/Swordsage 1/Shadow Sun Ninja 1

The combo is complete! Shadow Sun Ninja gives the ability to make a touch attack at will for Noxius's unarmed strike damage plus his wisdom modifier. First it's negative energy, the next round it's positive energy - as a swift action if the target is willing. Meanwhile his cancer familiar can use it at will - so every odd round it will supplement his damage with another deadly touch attack, while every even round it will heal him for a large amount as a swift action and then use a different touch attack on an opponent.

If he's clearly in danger of dying, Noxu can escape with Cloak of Shadows for greater invisibility and then Shadow Jaunt to 50ft away, or can turn into his disease form and be undetectable (Dark Stalker hides him from creatures with scent). He can then spend 4 or 5 rounds hiding and having his cancer familiar use Touch of the Shadow Sun to quickly heal him while recovering maneuvers, then re-engage the opponent.

The cancer familiar also grants 60ft Blindsight, improved uncanny dodge, evasion, and a 50% chance of ignoring an enchantment effect.

One level of swordsage gives IL 7 and some maneuvers: Swordsage 1 (IL 7, 6 maneuvers)/Shadow Sun Ninja 1 (IL 8, 1 maneuver):
Island of Blades Stance (counts as a Shadow Hand maneuver, flank with adjacent allies)
Assassin's Stance (2d6 sneak attack)
Counter Charge (Setting Sun - ruin an opponent's charge)
Sudden Leap (Jump as a swift action)
Cloak of Deception (Greater invisibility as a swift action)
Shadow Jaunt (50ft teleport as a standard action)
Mountain Hammer (Automatically overcome hardness and DR)
Obscuring Shadow Veil (+5d6 damage and 50% miss chance)
Shadow Garrote (5d6 damage at 60ft ranged touch attack - save or become flat-footed next round)
To ensure that sneak attack works, Noxu has a wand bracer with Golem Strike (for constructs) and a Demolition Crystal (for undead).

As for other abilities, Noxu has 6 skills/level and a decent Int score, so he should have skill points to spare on Hide/Move Silently - and Use Magic Device cross-class. I hate relying on wands, so they're secondary to the character.

He gets the Dark Stalker feat, so he's nearly undetectable, along with the Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis, which grants Hide in Plain Sight and a boost to Hide and Move Silently. With this he can hide nearly every round, gaining sneak attack and avoiding opponents' counter-attacks. And there's a nice boost to unarmed damage as well (base 6d6 damage for 20 hours/day, also a +5 weapon with assassination and toxic).

Tactics:
R1:
Free: Rage!
Move: Move out of hiding to opponent
Standard: Punch the enemy. Assuming he gets SA, 9d6+16 Damage plus mundane poison - Dragon Bile DC 31 or 3d6 Strength damage (coated on battlefist). Stunning Fist for DC 24 or stunned and then nauseated. Poison for 1d10 Con damage, DC 19. Dragon Bile as part of mundane poison for DC 31 or 3d6 Strength damage (Poison Spell on Poison). Infected Wound for 1 Con damage. Then Cancer familiar uses Touch of the Shadow Sun for 6d6+5 damage.
Swift: Swift Leap away back into hiding!

So in total from 1 attack along with the cancer familiar's 1 attack: 15d6+29 Damage, stunned, nauseated, 6d6 Str damage, 1d10+1 Con damage (6d6 Str damage repeating in 5 rounds)

Equipment: 200K
Mighty Arms Graft, Battlefist, Greatreach Bracers, Monk's Belt combined with +2 Belt of Magnificance, +1 Assassination Virulent Necklace of Natural Attacks combined with Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis, Tooth of Leraje (+5 weapon for 24 hours/day), Ring of Counterspells (Cure Disease), Ring of Counterspells (Greater Dispel Magic), Permanent Enlarge Person spell, alchemical capsule retainer, wand chamber, self-crafted Dragon Bile poison x18, demolition crystal (greater), +5 Vest of Resistance, 2 eternal wands of greater mighty wallop (20 hours/day), wand of golem strike, ki straps, 3,000g spare for mundane equipment and any other items or so.

20th level: CE Human Monk 2/Barbarian 1/Cancer Mage 10/Swordsage 1/Shadow Sun Ninja 6

Now each time Noxu attacks after coming out of hiding, he also blinds the opponent (Light Within Darkness ability) at DC 27 Fort or blinded. On a sneak attack, he makes opponents sickened, giving -2 to saving throws.

He also gains a few new maneuvers: Shadow Stride to teleport 50ft as a move action, and Death in the Dark to deal +15d6 to a surprised target for an opening move.

As far as items go, his stat buffs increase to +6, he gains a perfect fly speed equal to his land speed (a monk's tattoo adds to unarmed damage and other monk abilities, his fists gain the transmuting ability (shifting to counter target's DR in 2nd round of combat), he can make a 5ft step as a free action after a charge, gains the Run feat for free, and +5 inherent to his wisdom.

Final abilities:
Unarmed damage: as a 20th level monk (gargantuan size) for 12d8 base damage
Sneak attack: 3d6+20 base, +2d6 from Assassin's Stance. Can do -1d6 to make opponents sickened with Sickening Strike.
Touch of the Shadow Sun: 12d8+10 negative energy damage touch attack, at will every other round
Touch of the Shadow Sun: 12d8+10 positive energy touch attack, at will every other round
Stunning Fist: DC 33 (35 with Decisive Strike), nauseates on the 2nd round, usable 12 times per day
Contagion: DC 24, 10/day
Poison: DC 25, 10/day
Light Within Darkness (Blindness): DC 30, at-will
Infected Wound: DC 30, 10/day
Monk speed: Monk 2, Shadow Sun Ninja 6, Monk's Tattoo 4 = plus 40ft movement (70ft movement and 70ft perfect fly speed with phoenix cloak)
Monk AC: Monk 2, Shadow Sun Ninja 6, Monk's Belt 5, Monk's Tattoo 4 = +10 from Wis and +3 from levels for +14 to AC

Tactics:
R1:
Free: Haste from Boots of Speed, and Rage if you want
Move: Move out of hiding to opponent (can teleport 50ft or 100ft perfect fly speed)
Standard: Punch the enemy with Death in the Dark. Assuming you get SA (and you can SA constructs and undead normally), 20d6+12d8+30 Damage. Plus DC 31 or opponent is Blinded. Plus mundane poison - Dragon Bile DC 31 or 3d6 Strength damage (coated on battlefist). Poison for 1d10 Con damage, DC 25. Dragon Bile as part of mundane poison for DC 31 or 3d6 Strength damage (Poison Spell on Poison). Infected Wound for 1 Con damage. Then the Cancer familiar uses Touch of the Shadow Sun for 12d8+10 damage.
Swift: Swift Leap away back into hiding!

Equipment: 760K
Mighty Arms Graft (Faiths of Eberron), Battlefist (EBCS), Greatreach Bracers (MIC), Monk's Belt combined with +6 Belt of Magnificance, +1 Transmuting Assassination Virulent Necklace of Natural Attacks combined with Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis, Tooth of Leraje (+5 weapon for 24 hours/day), Ring of Counterspells (Cure Disease), Ring of Counterspells (Greater Dispel Magic), Permanent Enlarge Person spell, alchemical capsule retainer, wand chamber, self-crafted Dragon Bile poison x18, demolition crystal (greater), +5 Vest of Resistance, 2 eternal wands of greater mighty wallop (20 20 hours/day), wand of golem strike, ki straps, Monk's Tattoo, Cobra Straps combined with Boots of Speed, Panther Mask, Bracers of Armor +8, Phoenix Cloak, Tome of Understanding +5

Unarmed damage calculations:
Monk 2, Shadow Sun Ninja 6, Superior Unarmed Strike 4, Monk's Belt 5, Monk's Tattoo 4
= 21 for 2d10. Large size from permanent enlarge person for 4d8, INA for 6d8, Mighty Arms + Battlefist for 8d8, Eternal Wand of Greater Mighty Wallop for 12d8

Additional cheese:
With flaws: Improved Toughness and Improved Initiative would both be handy to have from 1-20, or you could swap out that barbarian level for something cooler.
With LA buyback: Just start with the Dark creature template rather than waiting for an item to grant it, and later on get Mineral Warrior or something.

Other build ideas that I had:
Warlock 6/Nosomatic Chirugion 4/Cancer Mage 10
Mummified Strongheart Halfling Cloistered Cleric 1/Binder 2/Cancer Mage 10/Knight of the Sacred Seal 3

Heliomance
2010-04-20, 08:25 AM
And that's all of them! The standard was extremely high on this one, and I think picking the winner's going to be tough.

Delta
2010-04-20, 08:27 AM
Wow... even with my quite limited in-depth knowledge of the more obscure D&D classes, I'm impressed with the variety of builds people have come up with this time.

arguskos
2010-04-20, 12:21 PM
Ah, entries!

Boilerplate Disclaimer: Nothing I say here is personal towards you or your hard work, it's all simple judgment. I respect you for the work you put into this, and even the worst entry in this contest had some good points and a lot of skill to it.

Uncle Festered
Originality: 3. I like the Warlock entry, and I like the story. However, I think there were other things that could have been done. However, it's not a BAD entry by any means.
Power: 4. You have Hellfire Warlock and ten levels of Cancer Mage, I'm not sure this COULD end poorly. Also, you made mention of Mummy Rot, which makes you pretty powerful.
Elegance: 3. It's smoothly done, but nothing that makes my eyes bug and go "woah, that's awesome!". Can't say it's bad though. I do think that the last two levels could have been better served elsewhere though.
Use of Cancer Mage: 4. Good use of Cancer Mage, you played to all it's strengths, which is a great thing.

Total: 3.5. It's a solid entry, one I enjoyed reading.

Leery Lily
Originality: 4.5. I... really didn't expect a psion entry. I expected lots of Cleric or Ranger or Warlock. Psion though? That's a new one.
Power: 3.5. Psionics are good, but not amazing, in the quantities you have them. Further, Psionics+Cancer Mage=not so hot honestly. It's not weak, but it could be stronger I think. I DO love the use of Poison Healing.
Elegance: 3.5. The Psion entry, while strange, does work to get you there. I dislike the random Psy War level though, it feels like a level for requirements and not much else.
Use of Cancer Mage: 2.5. I hate giving this score when I said nice stuff earlier, but really, you didn't finish the class and it comes at the end of the build, which I dislike. It doesn't synergize super well with Psion either. I DID like the Mindfire thing though.

Total: 3.5. A solid entry, a nice curveball on the entry, a few nice tricks, but it feels a bit forced.

Glum
Originality: 3. Honestly? Glum is kinda what I was expecting more of. Swordsage just says to me that it'd be a good entry to Cancer Mage, and I thought we might see more of it.
Power: 4. You have IL 13, ten levels of cancer mage, and well selected feats/gear. It's definitely strong.
Elegance: 2.5. I dislike Bloodlines to START with, and the fact that you took it for +2 Wis and nothing else that I can tell? That bugs me. A lot. Also, a lot of limited dipping going on here. While not bad power-wise, it's clunky to look at.
Use of Cancer Mage: 2.5. I... am having issues seeing what Cancer Mage brings to the table here that wouldn't be better as something else. Unlike the other builds, where Cancer Mage seems like it brings something special and at least sorta synergistic to the party, Glum just doesn't seem to gain much from Cancer Mage that I can see.

Total: 3. Solid entry, with nothing exceptional about it.

Maiyr
Originality: 4. Wow. There's Vermin Lord in here, Mineral Warrior too, lots of stuff going on that I was all like "wait, what?" when I saw it. Real eye-catching build.
Power: 3. Honestly? I can't tell. I'm going on the assumption that you're pretty decent (Vermin Lord isn't exactly weak, and neither are Cleric/Mineral Warrior), but it's so hard to tell.
Elegance: 1. Ok, this is the lowest score I've given in my duration as a judge. Why now? You didn't explain ANYTHING. Yes, you weren't technically required to, but looking at Iron Chef II should show you what your competition is! Further, the mechanical build is... strange. Why Cleric? Why Vermin Lord? How do you even GET Mineral Warrior? What is going on here? None of it is explained, it's just a level progression.
Use of Cancer Mage: 2. Thanks to the poor Elegance, I have no idea what Maiyr is meant to be doing with Cancer Mage. It's there, much like with Glum, to be in the contest, I think, and to showcase the build, not actually be useful or anything.

Total: 2.5. I am sorry to give this low a score, just because it was SO eyecatching and "WOW!" worthy. However, you didn't explain anything, so I have no idea how it's meant to go, and can't give a better score because of it.

Annabelle Cartwright
Originality: 3.5. Warlock isn't super original, but Mindbender sure as hell is. That was another "wait what?" moments. I love those moments.
Power: 4. You blended Cancer Mage and Mindbender in a very clever and original way. I was pleasantly surprised by it.
Elegance: 3.5. I liked the build, it was overall clean and slick. However, I disliked the +1/+2 at the end, though I know it was needed to get Disease Form and the final Mindbender buff.
Use of Cancer Mage: 4.5. It fits well with Mindbender as a good little BBEG-type character.

Total: 3.625. It's a good build. I can't complain about more than somewhat nitpicky stuff, which is a good thing.

Noxius
Originality: 5. Ok. You took MONK. You made a VESTIGE. You hit Cancer Mage at level FOUR. This is all sorts of "what the- wait, WHAT THE HELL?!" and is bar-none my favorite entry yet.
Power: 4. It's a great unarmed combatant and uses disease well. It's obviously not a full-caster, but it's still damn strong.
Elegance: 4. You lose points for relying on the alignment switch and the refluff of Shadow Sun Ninja, or this would be a 4.5 otherwise.
Use of Cancer Mage: 5. Absolutely perfect. You hit it super early, use it long and strong, and yeah. It's an amazing use from an unexpected source.

Total: 4.5. Totally unexpected, totally awesome. Honestly, I was thinking Annabelle was gonna get my top score this go 'round until I hit Noxius, and was blown away. Top notch work.

the_archduke
2010-04-20, 03:43 PM
First off let me say how much I appreciated the feedback I got in Iron Chef II. I hope that I will be able to be as insightful. Second, I was really impressed with the entries. Picking a winner will be very hard.

So without further ado...

Uncle Festered

Originality: 3. Not the only Warlock. Not the only Urban Ranger. Not the only human. It is a fine build that was unfortunately similar to some of the others.

Power: 3.5. Several nice combinations with warlock and cancer mage. The UMD is nice, synergistic and well thought out.

Elegance: 4. Everything fit together almost seamlessly except for hellfire warlock at the end. I know it is a power boost, but it doen't seem to fit with the rest of the build somehow. Some other warlock prc (or even just more warlock) would have been better.

Use of Cancer Mage: 4.5. One of the best uses of the PRC in my opinion. Uncle Festered is all about being a cancer mage. The rest of his levels were complimentary without overshadowing the core concept of being a cancer mage.

Total: 3.75. Very creepy and well thought out BBEG.

Leery Lily

Originality: 4. Psion was definitely an unexpected entry. It's low fort save and lack of necessary class skills is going to hurt you on Elegance and Use of Cancer Mage unfortunately.

Power: 4. The use of the extra-virulent mindfire through cancer mage was a nice combo. Animal Affinity helps with the Int use too. 6th level powers at ML15 gives you one of the more powerful builds in the competition.

Elegance: 2.5. Psion does get you entry eventually, but it feels a bit forced. That level of psychic warrior honestly sticks out like a sore thumb in what would otherwise be an elegant build. It looks like you took it just to get your Fort save up where you needed it. Was there no psionic PRC that has a good fort save that you could have used?

Use of Cancer Mage: 3.5. Fluffing the cancerous companion as the insane ex-midwife's stillborn child was... :smalleek: I was impressed and grossed out at the same time. You would have scored higher if you had entered cancer mage earlier or finished it though. By 12th level, your character has already lived more than half of their levels.

Total: 3.5. Impressive back story and synergy among your abilities. The level of psychic warrior and not getting all the levels of Cancer Mage held you back.

Glum

Originality: 4. Unfortunately, you were not the only one who used Urban Ranger for entry or you would have been even higher. Mongrelfolk for your race was an excellent choice. Favored Enemy:Church of Pelor was brilliant. Take that Burning Hate!

Power: 3. Kind of average. There was no ability that he had that seemed especially powerful.

Elegance: 2.5. Three base classes is a bit much for me. Swordsage seemed to be stapled on to the build to try to give it more power. Ditto the Janni bloodline.

Use of Cancer Mage: 2.5. You have all ten levels of the class and as fast of an entry as a non-human (or strongheart halfling) can manage. That said, it seemed like you only used cancer mage because that was the secret ingredient. You didn't synergize the strengths of cancer mage with the rest of your build the way several others did. It almost seemed like you wanted to build a swordsage rather than a cancer mage.

Total: 3. I liked the build, but it didn't stand out to me the way that some of the others did.

Maiyr
Originality: 4.5. Definitely original. No one else used anything close to your build.

Power: 2.5. This is hard to judge as you didn't include anything on your equipment and only had a brief explanation of your tactics. Are there any powerful combinations in this build? I have no idea since you didn't tell me.

Elegance: 1.5. Random template added at a late level really hurts you here. It didn't really seem to fit at all. Why did he become a mineral warrior? It also doesn't help that mineral warrior is a kind of cheesy template in the first place. You get a little bit back for Verminlord. It might have helped if you had explained your choices too. It wasn't a requirement, but your build looked unpolished compared to everyone else.

Use of Cancer Mage: 2. You used the fewest levels of cancer mage of anyone in the competition and had a fairly late entry. Perhaps some explanation in your build would have mitigated this somewhat.

Total: 2.625 A very different build that suffered from a lack of explanation.

Annabelle Cartwright
Originality: 3.5. Mindbender has more than one level? I've never seen that done before. Unfortunately you were not the only warlock entry, so you get a deduction.

Power: 3.5. Five plagues indeed. This would be a scary villain. Lots of mooks and very hard to close range with.

Elegance: 4. Entry from one base class and one PRC is elegant to me.

Use of Cancer Mage: 4.5. Like Uncle Fester, this is a pure use of the cancer mage prestige class. Nothing distracts from the PRC and it synergizes well.

Total: 3.875. I really liked this build a lot. Quite the villain.

Noxius
Originality: 5. Very impressive. Creating the vestige puts this one over the top for me. The use of monk was also great.

Power: 4.5. Probably the most powerful of the builds. Gargantuan monk hiding in plain sight and doing that much carnage in one punch really impressed me.

Elegance: 3.5. The alignment change gives you a deduction here. Otherwise it was very well thought out.

Use of Cancer Mage: 5. Earliest entry. All 10 levels. Synergy with poison and disease all in one touch attack. This was not what I expected from cancer mage at all, but it definitely works. It scores the highest here because I could see it as a PC or a BBEG. Very impressive.

Total: 4.5. Marvelous work... just wow.

Private-Prinny
2010-04-20, 05:30 PM
O_o

I'm happy I stayed out of this one. A psion, two rangers, a warlock, a cleric, and a monk? I wouldn't have stood a chance.

All of these builds are very well done.

the humanity
2010-04-20, 07:49 PM
UNCLE FESTERED
Originality: 2. I like the warlock/ranger entry, but I don't really think it was the most unique choice.
Power: 3.5. he knows how to use all his abilities to great synergy. I like the Hellfire Warlock, he really fights using his own vitality, I think to great effect.
Elegance: 3.5. you used a grand total of 4 classes. only 2 books outside of Core as far as I know in one glance. everything fits well. reading through your story, there are parts where instead of thinking 'that is a crazy guy' I think 'he's trying to make his character stronger'. you could have done better.
Use of Cancer Mage: 5. you optimized so many of your abilities. I think you implemented every cancer mage one. good job.

overall: 3.5ish. great job.

LEERY LILY
Originality: 5. your best part was the unique nature of your build. nobody else made an eternally pregnant psion. indeed, I would love to read a book about such a creepy character- I've never heard of such a thing.
Power: -. I don't know much about psionic power, so I don't think I should really judge this, I'll put in the average of the other judges later, if needed. everyone else says it's a great combo, so I think you made a good build in this area. if I can look it up a little more, I might throw in some numbers.
Elegance: 3. the psychic warrior does stick out at me, and about 150 dollars worth of books. I'm sure you could have found a better way than the pschic warrior. otherwise, great job. I love the flavor.
Use of Cancer Mage: 4. the story was incomplete without this. the mindfire combo looked really cool, but the flavor really hit me.
Overall: 4. coolest character.

GLUM
Originality: 4. a really cool NPC. I like this guy. I don't imagine ever seeing anyone using a mongrelfolk hooker though. believability is not what we're looking for though...
Power: 2.5. outside of fighting paladins, this guy seemed like lame backup.
Elegance: 2. anything but. you made it all kinda fit, but with all those classes, you were putting band aids on a severed head.
Use of Cancer Mage: 2.5. besides being a dirty tumored freak thing, this guy seems like a warrior, not a pestilence bringer. you could have thrown more effort at him.
Overall: 2.75ish. could have been better. cool character though.

MAIYR
Originality: 4?
Power: 3?
Elegance:1?
Use of Cancer Mage:2?
Overall:2.5? explanation is always a great idea.

ANNABELLE CARTWRIGHT
Originality: 4. you had a great move with the mindbender, a prestige class that never gets enough love. I could see a really cool apocalyptic campaign unfolding as I read that little 5 plagues bit.
Power: 3.5. not a huge damage machine, but definitely a villain that could really take out weaker people like crazy.
Elegance: 5. 3 books that weren't core or BoVD? 1 base class? 2 prestige classes? I salute you.
Use of Cancer Mage: 4.5. well implemented, really good combos.
Overall: 4.25. great structure. well built.

NOXIUS/NOXU
Originality: 4. buildwise, really creative. plotwise, he didn't strike me.
Power: 5. really tough, love what you did with him.
Elegance: 1.5. you explained it out, but ultimately, with 2 splashes, I didn't see this guy as perfectly plotted as it could have been.
Use of Cancer Mage: 5. totally unique and smart.
Overall: 3.9ish. brilliant, but too bulky.

Iamyourking
2010-04-20, 09:07 PM
Uncle Festered
Originality: Eh, nothing really all that unique. Still, you put a nice spin on it. 3
Power: You've got good synergy between your abilities and managed to take Cancer Mage all the way to 10. He's not a full caster but does his best with what he's got. 4
Elegance: Overall good, although Hellfire Warlock seems a bit tacked on. 3.5
Use of Cancer Mage: You managed to take it all the way to 10 and do some pretty nice things with it. 4
Overall: 3.625

Leery Lily
Originality: Now this one I like. Using Psion is an inspired choice and she really strikes me as the most sinister of the contestants. 5
Power: More good synergy, even if you don't have anything stronger than
6th level powers. I'm sure there's something that you could have taken in place of Exhilation of the Black Dragon that would be better than direct damage, but overall very powerful. 4
Elegance: The Psychic Warrior sticks out, but you still managed to do it with only one other class. However, I'm of the opinion that taking one level of a psionics boosting prestige class with good Fortitude would have had much the same effect so I'll cut you some slack. 3.5
Use of Cancer Mage: You didn't really take Cancer Mage as far as you could have, although qualifying for it is tricky with a Psion. Still, you've got enough that she definetely feels like a Psychic Cancer Mage rather than a Psion with disease powers. 3.5
Overall: 4

Glum
Originality: He just doesn't really jive with me. The diseased misshapen outcast who preys on the healthy and those who can cure his diseases is the sort of thing you see all the time in stories. 2.75
Power: Easily the weakest of the group, really only suited for fighting Paladins. 3.25
Elegance: Definetely feels like a bunch of disparate classes stapled together. 2
Use of Cancer Mage: Doesn't really have a lot to do with the class; he's a freak certainly, but he strikes me as more of a fighting type than a plague bearer. Combine that with the least levels of the class of anyone and you get a 2
Overall: 2.5

Maiyr
Originality: You certainly have a lot of stuff, but with no explanation I can't really get a feel for the concept. 2
Power: Sure it's a full caster; but no spell list, equipment, or interesting combos. Maybe if you explained a bit more you'd get a higher rating. 3
Elegance: No explanation, even more randomness than Glum and Mineral Warrior out of nowhere. 0.5
Use of Cancer Mage: You've got a fair amount of levels but no explanation for how they work with the rest of the build. 2
Overall: 1.875

Annabelle Cartwright
Originality: Very interesting and inspired choice to start with, even if Plague Cultist is a bit cliche as a concept. 3.5
Power: Another powerful idea that would make for a difficult and climactic battle. 3.5
Elegance: Three classes, but they build off each other well and make for a complete finish. 4
Use of Cancer Mage: It combines well with the rest of the build, but she seems very necromancer like to me. 3.5
Overall: 3.625

Noxius
Originality: Very interesting idea using Monk like that. However, it's based on very out of character actions from Baalzebub and as such I give it a 3.
Power: Very solid, very powerful. 5
Elegance: A little clunky but still good. 3.5
Use of Cancer Mage: Not really a mage, but still gets there fast and makes use of its abilities to a great extent. 4
Overall: 3.875

So thats Lily at the top, then Noxius, then a tie between Festered and Cartwright, then Glum, then Maiyr at the bottom. I really like all of them except for Glum and Maiyr though, good work to everybody.

BooNL
2010-04-21, 09:40 AM
Wow, definately nice builds and write-ups there. It seems that the quality of the entries keeps improving every challenge, cool!

I can see everyone had trouble trying to fit the Cancer Mage in there somewhere, I've considered a lot of those classes as well. And I think everyone was coming up with the same ideas as some point before discarding them for something else.

Myself, I was planning to go for an undead entry. By RAW, undead like ghouls can still carry diseases. They can also take the Mother Cyst line of feats, so who's to say they cannot grow a cancerous companion?
I was having trouble tieing it all together though, coupled with my lack of time I really couldn't finish the build.

I hope I get to compete next time!

Akal Saris
2010-04-21, 10:56 AM
Thanks to all the judges who have submitted reviews so far :)

On a sidenote, I think the PrC is poorly named - Cancer Mage has nothing to do with mages! Even the cancer familiar doesn't actually have any abilities like a normal familiar :P Iamyourking's judging really brought that home - did nobody get a 5 in "use of cancer mage" because none of the characters were really mages?

Sorry you couldn't compete this time BooNL - yours would have been the only undead here, it seems, so it would have stood out too.

I think it's interesting how strong of an impact the character backgrounds/originality have had on their overall scores - it's markedly different from the BG Iron Chef challenges, where the most important part of the character was the power/optimization level. It's still generally an optimization contest, but with a lot more emphasis on supporting that optimization with good stories. Definitely something for contestants to keep in mind for future challenges.

Private-Prinny
2010-04-21, 11:25 AM
I think it's interesting how strong of an impact the character backgrounds/originality have had on their overall scores - it's markedly different from the BG Iron Chef challenges, where the most important part of the character was the power/optimization level. It's still generally an optimization contest, but with a lot more emphasis on supporting that optimization with good stories. Definitely something for contestants to keep in mind for future challenges.

I think that that trend is because this is a practical optimization contest more than anything. It makes a character more rewarding when you show how they would fit into your campaign.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-21, 02:51 PM
I think that that trend is because this is a practical optimization contest more than anything. It makes a character more rewarding when you show how they would fit into your campaign.
That's what I say.

Some very, very nice creations here.

Btw, with Heliomance's leave to mention another contest, while we wait for the rest of the judges, voting has opened in my own monster making contests and there the voters are you. Feel free to take a look and choose the best. Link is in my signature.

I advertised the optimization contests over on it's chat thread as well. Maybe get a handful more entries come next.

9mm
2010-04-21, 03:46 PM
Uncle Fester:
Originality: warlock/ranger entry was used a lot but you comboed them together well to make an unfindable killer. Score 3
Power: you successfully deployed batmanish tactics without actually making a batman; awesome. score 4
Elegance: hellfire seems really tacked on here Score: 4
Use of Ingredient: you perfectly explain why cancer mage works with your other classes, and the combos it sets up, plus full use of ingredient score 5

Learing Lilly:
Originality: 5 just because of use of psion; Score 5
Power: hard to judge as you seem to just have 1 outlined trick of "super bad Mindfire" + standard psion. score 2
Elegance: psi-war sticks out like a sore thumb. score 4
Use of Ingredient: You do not go into any detail into what exactly the ingredients bring to the table together, and you don't use it fully. 2

Glum
Originality: um, OK, I see bloodlines and Warp touch along with swordsage, ranger, the ingredient and fighter. I'd never even heard of warp touch so we'll go 5
Power: you get a baseline 1, why? because you do absolutely nothing to tell me you do more than make people sick and have maneuvers.
Elegance:0 crafting a story to explain the levels are nice; but I don't see how they tie together without it.
Use of Ingredient: What exactly does cancer mage adds to your other abilities? how do they interact? how do they synergise? From your write up I can't answer any of these questions. 0 points

Maiyr
Originality: um... go go plague rats? 1
Power: So? how do these abilities interact with each other what do they do? 3 because swarming the field with summons is powerful, and only because of it
Elegance: without a single reference point your getting a 0 because I see just levels, and nothing else
Use of Ingrediant: What exactly does cancer mage adds to your other ablities? how do they interact? how do they synergise? From your write up I can't answer any of these questions. 0 points

Annabelle Cartwright
Originality: woot mindbender past 1 for extra sneakyness! 4
Power: oh dear lord the tricks you can do with all those minions. 5
Elegance: the abilities mesh simply and efficiently 5
Use of ingrediant: cancer mage feels like it's playing more of a supporting role to warlock and mindbender here but it is a powerful supporting role. 4

Noxus:
Originality a monk who does bad things to you with touch attacks, I like! 5
Power: having recently experimented with tacking save-or-suck onto melee know how dangerous this build is when he hits. 4
Elegence: sorry but you not only go through several allignment shifts, but you even must re-flavor a entry requirement. normally this would be fine in an actual game but not here. 0
Use of Ingrediant: Cancer mage is an intergal part of the build that interacts favoribly with the other abilities. 5

overall some solid entries but, really, some time away from the backstory and more explaining what they can do will take you a long way in getting points.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-22, 12:46 AM

Yea, the Elegance entry is pretty much "Would you like to see this in an actual game you run/play in", which makes this very much a PO, not a TO contest.

I must say, there's some really awesome builds here. Definitely an honor to be included in the contestants.

Chineselegolas
2010-04-22, 04:59 AM
I made Maiyr, and I think enough judges have marked it that my comments are mostly irrelevant now. And if not, I'm not winning so meh.

My build was mostly incomplete, as I was merely filling in the basic things I wanted from it. 9mm comment of plague rats, pretty much spot on. Vermin and Plague and what not.
Would have expanded into more details about it, however I didn't have time, due to forgetting that my Monday is well ahead of most peoples, due to living in NZ, and submitting it when could have spent half a day more finishing it.

Was so late entry into Cancermage because of Vermin Lord requiring being able to cast "Giant Vermin", which is a 4th level Cleric or Druid spell. Was tossing up between to two when I realized due date had crept up and just grabbed Cleric w/domains.
Put Mineral Warrior into the build as had a level space to fill which nothing seemed to fit, and becoming in touch with the earth, plus the extra benefits that the Mineral Warrior gave fitted with the ideas in my mind.

Eh, was mostly trying for originality, and mostly have decent scores there, so I'm happy with that.

Akal Saris
2010-04-22, 08:42 AM
Yeah, it seemed like a pretty well themed build to me, but like all the judges pretty much said, they wanted to know more about how all the parts worked together. 1 or 2 more paragraphs on that and it probably would have gotten a higher all around score. I think going all-out with vermin druid and whatnot might have been awesome too, actually. Vermin Lord was one of the PrCs I looked at early on, but I couldn't figure out any real synergies to work with.

I think the key takeaway point for my build in the challenge was that I should have focused more on the elegance and less on the power. I could have made a more elegant build with only slightly less power, and probably would have scored 1-2 points higher with each judge. But it's all part of the learning curve :smalltongue:

By the way, for those interested in disease-themed PrCs, the Nosomatic Chirugion from Dragonmarked is the only other one I could find. It's quite awesome though, and probably works better for a warlock than Cancer Mage does.

arguskos
2010-04-22, 11:38 AM
Eh, was mostly trying for originality, and mostly have decent scores there, so I'm happy with that.
And for that, Maiyr was excellent. It just... I wanted some story somewhere. Something, anything, to tell how who Maiyr is, where they come from, and what they do.

However, in the originality department, yeah, wow, was damned good, can't complain about that. :smallbiggrin:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-22, 07:02 PM
Two more judges, to go, c'mon, you can do it! :smallwink:

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-22, 11:47 PM
Yea, interesting critique which has been offered by the esteemed judges so far

Grynning
2010-04-22, 11:47 PM
As I am not an official judge for this challenge, I've decided not to post detailed scores yet unless Helio asks me to because it's needed to break a tie of some kind. Also, I've been swamped at work and only got around to getting through the builds tonight, and I can't add too much to the excellent appraisals already shown by the other judges. Right now we have 5/6 of the registered judges posting, so I think it won't be too hard for Helio to determine the winner.

I have decided to assist in one way - tabulating 9mm's overall scores, here they are:
Uncle Festered: 4
Leery Lily: 3.5
Glum: 1.5 (although I'm not sure a 0 score is allowed, pretty sure it's 1-5. If that's the case, it's actually a 2).
Maiyr: 1/1.5 (same issue)
Annabelle Cartwright: 4.5
Noxus: 3.5/3.75

For my comments, I will just give a quick summary and mention anything that stood out to me. But first, just some comments on the contest as a whole.

Man, there was some dark, DARK stuff in here. I guess it's to be expected with a BoVD class, but man...some of y'all are twisted. Great work on most of the back stories, it's a credit to some of your writing talents that I actually got a bit squirmy reading some of these.

Also, another contest with no bad builds! I would probably feel ok playing any of these characters in a game with the right groups, everyone really showed their optimization chops on this one. Congrats to all!

Uncle Festered: Nice setup, great back story and synergy. Very solid and an enjoyable read. I reeealllly like Warlock with Cancer Mage, it's quite tasty.

Leery Lily: Another amazing, detailed story, the creepiest by far. I liked how it was set in a much later time period than Ye Olde D&D (or at least it seemed to be), which was refreshing. Build wise, an exceptionally original use of Psion, as others have mentioned. Probably would have lost some points with me on use of the class, but would have scored high in most other areas.

Glum: I immediately disliked the use of both Mongrelfolk and a Bloodline, but other than that, it's a pretty darn good build, if a bit bland (pretty much a TWF fighter with a disease trick). The story was pretty well done, though it kind of suffered from the "hard act to follow" syndrome on the heels of the first two, which read like novellas.

Maiyr: Yeah, everyone's already said it. Explanation, presentation and elegance are key. If this was food, it would have tasted great, but just been slopped on a paper plate. Mineral warrior really stuck out to me though...what was that about?

Annabelle Cartwright: Wow. This one was probably my favorite. Backstory was rich but also short and sweet, well done mechanically...she is just really, really cool. C'mon, mind controlling, hordes of zombies, plagues, devils...this chick is a BADASS. If I ever get to run 3.5 again, I will almost definitely steal her as a villain. You get the Grynning's Choice Award, if that means anything to you.

Noxius: Another very, very strong contender, and gets an A+++ for the time and effort spent on developing this character. I personally have no problem with the alignment shift (I'm not a huge fan of alignment in general) and I think you did a really good job at bringing together some disparate elements into a seamless whole.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-23, 12:31 PM
As I am not an official judge for this challenge, I've decided not to post detailed scores yet unless Helio asks me to because it's needed to break a tie of some kind.
Looks like you're in the list and the other two haven't responded so I'd say you're good.

the humanity
2010-04-23, 01:24 PM
Grynning, just do it.

it's not like you'll get banned. you might get ignored.

Grynning
2010-04-23, 01:31 PM
Haha, I'm not worried about getting in "trouble," I just don't want to give any contenders a false impression in case Helio doesn't count my scores.
@VorpalTribble - there were 6 judges signed up, I was backup. 5 have posted scores, which is more judges than we had either judges or contenders actually submit stuff last time. I think the scores already posted will probably be enough to determine the results.

Also I haven't actually finished my scoring yet, I've been pretty busy. Trying to buy a car and playing in an M:TG tourney today.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-23, 04:27 PM
Well then I'm definitely ready for the next.

May I suggest a format for how we should submit? Perhaps also on what we should submit precisely as well. Some appear to be voted low not because they aren't powerful or elegant or what not, but because it wasn't explained in enough detail why they were so.

SaintRidley
2010-04-23, 05:07 PM
Depending on the final submission date for the next, I might give it a crack. Finals week and moving come first, though.

Akal Saris
2010-04-23, 06:43 PM
Same here with regards to time constraints - I'm on a regrettably tight schedule until May 10th.

It looks like the contest is about over though. Glad to see we had so many responses this time around from both judges and cooks :)

As soon as the results are compiled I can start chatting about my favorite build stuff too :P

arguskos
2010-04-23, 08:12 PM
Well then I'm definitely ready for the next.

May I suggest a format for how we should submit? Perhaps also on what we should submit precisely as well. Some appear to be voted low not because they aren't powerful or elegant or what not, but because it wasn't explained in enough detail why they were so.
Format doesn't matter as much, though it should be clarified that as judges, we tend to look for the build and the story, and how well you can blend them.

Heliomance
2010-04-24, 07:55 AM
ShneekeyTheLost's Uncle Festered: 3.5+3.75+3.5+3.625+4 = 18.375

The Vorpal Tribble's Leery Lily: 3.5+3.5+4+4+3.5 = 18.5

Iferus's Glum: 3+3+2.75+2.5+2 = 13.25

Chineselegolas's Maiyr: 2.5+2.625+2.5+1.875+1.5 = 11

Strategos's Annabelle Cartwright: 3.625+3.875+4.25+3.625+4.5 = 19.875

Akal Saris's Noxius: 4.5+4.5+3.875+3.875+3.75 = 20.5

Congratulations to Akal Saris in first place:
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u163/The_Great_Strategos/CancerMageTrophyAkalSaris.png
and Strategos in second place!
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u163/The_Great_Strategos/CancerMageTrophyStrategos.png

Tune in next time for the next

Iron Chef Optimisation Challenge!

Akal Saris
2010-04-24, 10:43 AM
Wow, that was even closer than the last one! I had no idea Strategos was behind Annabelle - well done sir! And thanks again for doing the trophies, I love the creepy old guy trophy :smallbiggrin:

Now I can comment on other people's builds! Overall I think it's a tie between Festered and Annabelle for my favorite build here.

Uncle Festered: I started out with a Warlock 6 build as well before giving up on it because I couldn't find much use for half the abilities of the cancer mage. As you point out, the cancer familiar is like having Quicken SLA 3/day, which could be crazy good. This is definitely my kind of build - I love mobile characters that snipe from hiding. One of my PCs actually plays a darkness and vermin themed warlock, so from firsthand experience I know how dangerous this kind of build can be.

Leery Lily: The backstory creeped me out and was very professionally written. I don't think enough people appreciated the idea of the familiar manifesting mind switch and controlling the opponents while the opponent is stuck within Lily's tumor. Because THAT would seriously freak me the hell out as a PC.

Glum: I was surprised to see another entry with swordsage! I thought this build had the best presentation, with terrific tables and lists (including maneuvers and skills by level) - it was obvious that you spent a lot of time on it.

Maiyr: I appreciate that you took another themed prestige class :P Even with just 6th level spells, Maiyr probably makes a very versatile character. Like I said earlier, I think it would have been awesome if you had gone druid and went totally vermin-crazy on the build.

Annabelle: Like others have said, going Mindbender was definitely an inspired choice. It's fun for me to watch as a character's power and flexibility grows over time, so I really enjoyed the level-by-level breakdowns, and I liked the social character take on Cancer Mage. The skills were a little odd - for a manipulator-type character, I'd expect less ranks in UMD and Concentration, and more in Diplomacy/Bluff. This is definitely a character I'd enjoy playing though.

Noxu: After seeing the other builds, I wish I had paid more attention to Viral Agent, because the ability has some serious potential! I also found the Fanged Ring from Dragon Magic, which grants improved natural attack and unarmed strikes deal another 1 con damage per hit, which would have saved Noxu a feat and gone very well with the ability damage theme.

Private-Prinny
2010-04-24, 10:58 AM
Close scoring there. Anyway, congratulations to everyone who participated. Even submitting a build at all is an accomplishment.

And Akal, you definitely earned this one. Noxu was amazing!

the humanity
2010-04-24, 11:42 AM
man, everybody made great builds.

I hope you don't mind strategos, I'm going to use Annabelle in my campaign. she fits really well.

EDit >_>

Akal Saris
2010-04-24, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the compliment Private-Prinny!

The humanity: Go ahead! Annabelle was by Strategos anyhow :smalltongue:

arguskos
2010-04-24, 12:52 PM
Damn Akal, Noxius was really nice. I'm glad to see it came out on top, since it was definitely my favorite build. :smallwink:

BooNL
2010-04-25, 04:28 AM
Cool builds everyone, seeing the scoring and the people behind it I'm a bit sad I didn't give it a shot. Though the quality of the writing was really top-notch this time, awesome!

Congrats Akal Saris and Strategos.

Akal, that's two first places and a second for you right? Looks like I'm a first place behind, I hereby challenge you to give it your very best for the next build :smallwink:.

Private-Prinny
2010-04-25, 07:52 PM
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u163/The_Great_Strategos/CancerMageTrophyAkalSaris.png

Y'know, taking a second look at the trophy, I can't tell if that's a misshapen beard or a hanging flap of skin. Personally, I think the latter would be cooler.

Akal Saris
2010-04-25, 08:42 PM
It's actually the cancer familiar, using Disguise to look like a beard so little kids will run up and grab it :smallcool:

And BooNL, it is on like Donkey Kong!

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-25, 08:47 PM
*cracks knuckles*

Now that I know what the judges are looking for we're gonna have us some fun.

How often are these posted?

Private-Prinny
2010-04-25, 09:23 PM
*cracks knuckles*

Now that I know what the judges are looking for we're gonna have us some fun.

How often are these posted?

I don't know if there was a time gap between the first and second, but this one started the day after the second one ended.

In case that last sentence made no sense, we should see another one starting tomorrow.

Heliomance
2010-04-26, 02:30 AM
I was actually considering waiting for a while before starting the next one, what with the American exam season coming up fast.

Then the UK exam season starts pretty much as soon as yours finishes, from what I can gather!

BooNL
2010-04-26, 02:32 AM
There's plenty of non-americans around you know :smalltongue:.

Strategos
2010-04-26, 04:39 AM
I'm a little surprised to see that I did so well myself. When I saw him I thought that Noxius would win, but I thought Lily or Festered would pull in second personally. I'd like to thank the judges for their time and effort and the other competitors for doing such a good job .

Grynning and the humanity, if you'd like to use Annabelle, go ahead, I'm flattered that you'd even think to use her :smallredface:.

Akal, I originally had more ranks in Intimidate and Bluff, but just before midnight it seemed like a good idea to reassign the points into Spot and Listen, I'm sure I had a perfectly valid reason for it then but I can't think of what it was now.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next challenge and hope to see everyone there :smallbiggrin:!

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-26, 08:24 AM
There's plenty of non-americans around you know :smalltongue:.
And those of us out of high school :smallwink:

Iferus
2010-04-26, 12:10 PM
Glum: I immediately disliked the use of both Mongrelfolk and a Bloodline, but other than that, it's a pretty darn good build, if a bit bland (pretty much a TWF fighter with a disease trick). The story was pretty well done, though it kind of suffered from the "hard act to follow" syndrome on the heels of the first two, which read like novellas.

That's funny. I decided to go for Mongrelfolk just for the story - those are the most down-in-the-gutter kind of people in my eyes. And the bloodline was something I added because I have never used those before, something to make it more exotic. I never figured I'd get so many negative reactions to that bloodline.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-04-26, 04:27 PM
That's funny. I decided to go for Mongrelfolk just for the story - those are the most down-in-the-gutter kind of people in my eyes. And the bloodline was something I added because I have never used those before, something to make it more exotic. I never figured I'd get so many negative reactions to that bloodline.

Yea, Bloodlines in general are a huge cheesy no-no in most cases. They can be abused in so many horrific ways that it's a knee-jerk reaction to react in horror when you see one in a build.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-26, 09:51 PM
Yea, Bloodlines in general are a huge cheesy no-no in most cases. They can be abused in so many horrific ways that it's a knee-jerk reaction to react in horror when you see one in a build.
Hmm, I've only had players use them a couple times and never had a problem. Actually kind of liked'em.

arguskos
2010-04-26, 10:07 PM
Hmm, I've only had players use them a couple times and never had a problem. Actually kind of liked'em.
They have some severe balance issues, and can easily be broken, leading to them being cheesy in almost every case.

Heliomance
2010-04-27, 12:10 PM
Hmm, how mean should I be for the next challenge? I've found another class that I've never seen used, but on reading it that's because it's significantly more useless than the Entropomancer. Should I believe in your optimisation skills and set it as the secret ingredient, or should I give you guys a break and not be that horrible?

BooNL
2010-04-27, 12:12 PM
Now I'm intrigued. Please, be that horrible :smallamused:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-27, 12:30 PM
Pfftt, considering bards are amongst my favorite class to mess with, go for whatever it is.

arguskos
2010-04-27, 12:33 PM
Doooo eeeeet! :smallbiggrin:

Heliomance
2010-04-27, 12:38 PM
Pfftt, considering bards are amongst my favorite class to mess with, go for whatever it is.

Who said anything about Bards?

Pechvarry
2010-04-27, 12:39 PM
Hmm, how mean should I be for the next challenge? I've found another class that I've never seen used, but on reading it that's because it's significantly more useless than the Entropomancer. Should I believe in your optimisation skills and set it as the secret ingredient, or should I give you guys a break and not be that horrible?

At least make sure there's something unique about the class. I know you have your eye on The Shining Blade of Heironeous, but all it does is emulate weapon enhancements (poorly). This is an example of a PrC I just don't think would be fun to Chef-ify.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-27, 12:42 PM
Who said anything about Bards?
Me. Bards are generally considered weak and I like to powerhouse with them. Therefore something even weaker will just be interesting.

arguskos
2010-04-27, 12:43 PM
At least make sure there's something unique about the class. I know you have your eye on The Shining Blade of Heironeous, but all it does is emulate weapon enhancements (poorly). This is an example of a PrC I just don't think would be fun to Chef-ify.
DEARGODNO, MAKE THE BLEEDING STOP!! :smallyuk::smallyuk:

In other news, yeah, really, don't do that one please.

Heliomance
2010-04-27, 12:52 PM
Me. Bards are generally considered weak and I like to powerhouse with them. Therefore something even weaker will just be interesting.

They're weak in Core. They got so much support in splat though, that they're really not weak anymore.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-27, 01:15 PM
They're weak in Core. They got so much support in splat though, that they're really not weak anymore.
I never really thought they were to begin with

FishAreWet
2010-04-27, 02:05 PM
I don't mind things that are hard to optimize but they need to be unique. Psibond Agent was great because no other class can do the stuff that it can. Cancer Mage was similar.