PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Ideas

The Pressman
2010-04-10, 08:48 PM
I need an idea for my first campaign. Any suggestions?

Demons_eye
2010-04-10, 08:56 PM
Were-Wars: Were bears are turning people LG when they dont want to, so the were wolfs do the same. In this world everyone is a were X and you better chose your allies carefully.

Body snatchers: Changlings and doppelgangers have formed a secret organization that plans to take over the world. The players are the kings/queens/rulers of different nations and have been kidnapped and thrown in jail as impostors. They know the truth and that their kingdoms are in the hands of evil masterminds, can they gain the power back and prove to the world they are who they say they are?

Suggested by dsmiles

The Maze: Low-level characters are magically dumped into the lowest level of a maze complex. As they ascend towards the surface, the tricks, traps and encounters grow more difficult. In order to pass many of the hazards, the characters must work together. (Designed to promote teamwork.)

Amnesia: Low-level characters are actually long dead heroes brought back from beyond the grave to save a kingdom under siege. Can the characters recover their memories and abilities in time to save the kingdom? (Levelling provides more memories, and ability development.)

The Message: One of the characters recieves a cryptic message (or cryptic, prophetic dream). The characters must figure out what it all means, before it's too late. (Not actually time-sensitive, but it gives a sense of urgency.)

Posted by Shadow_Archmagi

Random Adventure Table (http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/4112/randomencounter.png)

GenPol
2010-04-10, 08:57 PM
What edition? How many players? What kind of game do you want to run (horror, survival, high fantasy, etc)? Can you give us some more information?

If you are planning on creating your own world, I would point you towards the "New World" articles by the Giant found in the gaming section of this site, I at least have found them to be helpful. Otherwise, I have always been a fan of Ebberon in general.

Critical
2010-04-10, 09:03 PM
Some kind of global cataclysm is always a good start.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-04-10, 09:04 PM
Your players are all gladiators in an arena run but Mind Flayers.

From there you can keep it completely hack 'n' slash game, add in some roleplaying, or add an intricate plot.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-10, 09:28 PM
Check out the A Dying Ember, in my signature.

The Pressman
2010-04-10, 09:48 PM
What edition? How many players? What kind of game do you want to run (horror, survival, high fantasy, etc)? Can you give us some more information?

I would be using 3.5, probably have 4-7 players, would run a game like you would get from simply basing all your knowledge off of the books, and would probably try to have a rich story. What I want is mostly ideas and concepts, and I can probably flesh it out on my own.

shadow_archmagi
2010-04-10, 09:54 PM
So, I was at the YMCA today and there were some TV's by the treadmills and I normally don't watch the TV but my eye was caught and I started watching and:

It was a children's show.

The plot was this: Two small children are traveling with a group of space penguins and they land on a desert planet where lawn gnomes (atop flying saucers) are preparing to wage war with elitist monocle-wearing pink flamingos. The war is over the only water for miles around, which an evil space robot stole from the gnomes and gave to the flamingos.

Any one of these plot elements is pure gold.

Yora
2010-04-11, 04:00 AM
One day my mother and I made the discovery that every single childrens book is either a massive mind screw or just boring.
Seems kids shows on TV are catching up. :smallbiggrin:

Kris Strife
2010-04-12, 05:58 AM
The deaths of countless magical creatures; from tiny sprites to massive dragons and everything in between; at the hands of mortal adventurers has caused the world's magic to be disrupted and begin to fade. All but the most powerful gods have grown silent, and arcane magic has begun to fail. Those creatures that depend on magic have begun to either die or have only had non magical offspring, further weakening the world's magic. Most magical items and artifacts have kept their power, but who knows how long that will last. The players must travel to various elsewhen worlds in order to find, capture and bring back the creatures needed to save their own.

Serpentine
2010-04-12, 06:15 AM
Starting places:
- The party is all students of an adventuring school (ours was Montgomery Snake's Elevated Academy). Extra-handy if all the players are newbies, because you can have video game-style tutorial type encounters.
- The party has all been hired by the same person (just a way to get everyone together).

Campaign ideas (mostly based on ones I've played in):
- An angel has been thrown out of heaven for being too zealous. In revenge, he is gathering huge amounts of a particular mineral which stops time temporarily when destroyed, intending to freeze the whole world (or at least a good part of it) for eternity.
- A wizard has trapped a devious succubus. He hires the party to deliver letters containing the keys to her prison to various powerful allies all over the world.
- When travelling from one place to another, the party finds themselves shipwrecked in a strange land.
- A dwarven mine was closed off to the world many years ago while they worked on a massive top-secret commission. The date by which they were to open with their completed work has been and gone with no sign of the dwarves.
- A magical plague is sweeping the land. There is an artifact that can cure it, but even if it is found (not an easy task in itself), from whence did the plague come?
- [Dire threat] is threatening the land. Only with [artifact] can [threat] be averted.

I was thinking of starting a thread for people to post complete encounters/adventures/maybe campaigns as a resource for DMs looking for inspiration. Would enough people be interested to make it worthwhile?