PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Breaking a half-dragon gestalt

Alvrick
2010-04-10, 10:27 PM
The appearance of a half-dragon appearing in the comic has inspired me to make a half-dragon character for a game I play in - an arena game, so everybody is building their characters for destruction, killing, or otherwise rendering the other characters into chunky salsa.

Unfortunately, I'm not the best optimizer in the world, and all I really know is that I want this character to be based around melee combat, and I want him to be a human half-dragon.

Would anybody be willing to help me with this?

The restrictions faced in building this character are as followsECL 10 ~ 38 Point Buy ~ 50,000 GP

All gladiators have access to the Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide and Monster Manual I. At the time of character creation you can choose up to four more sources from the following list. Once selected, you may never change your sources.

Book of Exalted Deeds: So committed to the concepts of justice and fairplay are all Exalted characters, you willingly give up two additional sources if you select BoED as an allowed source.
Complete Adventurer
Complete Arcane
Complete Champion
Complete Divine
Complete Mage
Complete Psionic
Complete Scoundrel
Complete Warrior
Draconomicon
Dragonmarked
Dragon Magic
Dragons of Eberron: No Sovereign Archetypes.
Drow of the Underdark
Dungeon Masters Guide II
Dungeonscape
Eberron Campaign Setting: No Action Points
Expanded Psionics Handbook
Explorer’s Handbook
Five Nations
Forge of War
Frostburn
Heroes of Battle
Heroes of Horror
Libris Mortis
Lords of Madness
Magic Item Compendium
Magic of Incarnum
Magic of Eberron
Miniatures Handbook: War Hulks are so stupid, that they willingly give up two sources for the opportunity to enter this prestige class.
Monster Manual II: If any creature has been updated in a later book, the newest edition of the creature must be used (eg. Grell).
Monster Manual III
Monster Manual IV
Monster Manual V: Shaedlings cannot create magic items with their ability. So don’t even bother asking.
Planar Handbook
Players Guide to Eberron
Players Guide to Faerun
Players Handbook II: Retraining will not be allowed.
Races of Destiny
Races of Eberron
Races of Faerun
Races of Stone
Races of the Dragon
Races of the Wild
Sandstorm
Savage Species: If any creature has been updated in a later book, the newest edition of the creature must be used (eg. Half-Ogre).
Secrets of Sarlona
Secrets of Xen’drik
Spell Compendium
Stormwrack
Tome of Battle
Tome of Magic
Unearthed Arcana: No Bloodlines, Generic Classes or Item Familiars.
Weapons of Legacy

# All errata and FAQ rulings apply.
# We will not be using actions points (ECS or UA), retraining (from PHB II), Taint (from HoH) or any other variant game mechanic.
# No alignment changes are allowed.
# No Leadership or Thralls.
# Animal Companions, Special Mounts, & Familiars can enter the ring, but it takes a full round to call them into the ring once the fight has begun.
# No "Theurge-like" prestige classes. (This includes Arcane Trickster, Unseen Seer, etc.)
# No Ur-Priest or Sublime Chord.
# Class features like caster level, eldritch blast and initiator level will be calculated by the narrowest definition of "overlap" in classes. This means, for example, that no tricks can be used to boost caster level above character level by means that would not also function outside a gestalt build.
# Classes with advancement of other class features can only advance base classes.
# The Unarmed Swordsage adaptation is not available.
# No NPC spellcasting services are available.
# There is no sundering of worn objects / items, only weapons, shields, wands, staffs and other similiar items. (This includes shatter and baleful utterance and the like)
# All clerics must worship a real deity taken from one of your allowed sources.The one exception is the Arena God

The Arena God
Lesser God (Lawful Neutral)
Domains: Competition, Law, Strength, War
Favoured Weapon: Glaive
# The following spells do not exist in any way, shape or form: Antimagic Field
Astral Projection
Blasphemy
Celerity (or any of its counterparts)
Contingency
Dictum
Disjunction
Forcecage
Gate
Holy Word
Irresistible Dance
Magic Jar
Maze
Miracle
Planar Ally
Planar Binding
Polymorph Any Object
Reality Maelstrom
Rebuke (or any of its counterparts)
Shapechange
Timestop
Trap The Soul
Wish
Word of Chaos
Wrathful Castigation

The_Pyre
2010-04-11, 02:41 AM
Pick up Savage Species for Feral to further pump your strength. I'd also suggest orc over human, if you're willing. Then you charge and rip them to shreds. If they survive, you grapple them and rip them to shreds.

Are the LA applied to only one side of the gestalt? It gets even more fun if you get a large race for auto-fly, reach 10, and grapple bonuses.

Obviously, Warblade is going to show up, as well as maybe Barbarian.

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-11, 03:40 AM
Half Dragon 4 / Warblade 6 // Psychic Warrior 10

It's not going to be broken, but:

High Strength.
Expansion gets you up to Huge Size
Reach weapon gets you 30 feet reach

Psionic Lion's Charge gets you pounce and attack bonuses.
Add in Mage Slayer, Boots of speed, and you've got a solid character design.

For an alternate, try:

Half Dragon 4 / Ardent 6
Warblade 10

Higher BAB, similar PP, and choose mantles that favor your type. Practiced manifester gets you 5th level powers, along with 5th level maneuvers.

Alvrick
2010-04-11, 03:41 AM
yeah, the LA only applies to one side of the progression.problem with feral is that the DM set it up differently. It's now a +2 LA template that works off Racial HD rather than Total HD. I see what you mean about the orc though, but I'll one up you on that one - Half-ogre from races of destiny. it's basically a half-orc, but bigger, stronger, and large size. hello flying, and that pumps my strength to +14 and constitution to +4, though I do take a hit to dexterity. ah, well, I'll just put 12 into that, which'll give me a 10. Take power attack and a few feats that work with it, and my damage output will skyrocket, as long as I can get close enough to those damn casters to use it. Maybe some spell resistant armor to help with that :smallamused:

well, that covers race (unless of course someone has something better) but that leaves class. Perhaps a cleric with a few ordained champion levels? A straight barbarian or warblade? maybe both on either side of the progression?

EDIT: apparently I was ninja'ed. unfortunately, I don't have access to any psionics books, as my brother has lost them, so ardent and psychic warrior are out

reptilecobra13
2010-04-11, 03:45 AM
Half-dragon (red) with whatever you choose on one side (I'd lean toward swordsage, even if you can't go with the unarmed variant--focus in Desert Wind manuevers for more fire and burninating, plus Setting Sun for fun with throws and whatnot) and then monk/drunken master on the other.

PhoenixRivers
2010-04-11, 03:47 AM
Well, if you want the fun one:

Ghost.

Be a Ghost.

Incorporeal. Cha to AC.

Be a ghost paladin. Cha to saves... and to hit on smites.

Take Comp Warrior feats for adding Cha to damage.

Take Comp Warrior Divine Feats for adding Cha to Shield bonus.

Take feats for adding shield bonus to touch AC. Yay, Cha to AC twice.

Take slippers of battledancing (MIC) to add Cha to damage again.

Take noncasting paladin (Comp Champ) and smite feats in there.

Boost Cha out the wazoo.

Alvrick
2010-04-11, 03:54 AM
Well, if you want the fun one:

Ghost.

Be a Ghost.

Incorporeal. Cha to AC.

Be a ghost paladin. Cha to saves... and to hit on smites.

Take Comp Warrior feats for adding Cha to damage.

Take Comp Warrior Divine Feats for adding Cha to Shield bonus.

Take feats for adding shield bonus to touch AC. Yay, Cha to AC twice.

Take slippers of battledancing (MIC) to add Cha to damage again.

Take noncasting paladin (Comp Champ) and smite feats in there.

Boost Cha out the wazoo.

sorry. DM has ruled you can't gain incorporeality, even with spells. woulda been effective though

2xMachina
2010-04-11, 06:43 AM
Evolved undead on 1 side? Cha off the roof.

The_Pyre
2010-04-11, 07:16 AM
Only thing you have to remember as a melee monster is to beat the casters' initiative and flight. Otherwise, everything's pretty much moot.

It's still going to be fun mashing all the other melee guys into a paste, though.

Nidogg
2010-04-11, 07:43 AM
Go caster./ Eldrich knight Slow em, buf your self out the roof, then spell compodium, Animate breath. Take draconic feats to increase breath wep damage and then summon a load more elmentals.
Or go draconic Pun Pun. All the books are there.....

Escheton
2010-04-11, 10:37 AM
half dragon paragon3 sorc(armor wearing variant?) 1(shield spell two handed weapon, or true strike and epic power attack whatever) warblade2/swordsage 10

paragon gives ya 3/day breath

also HD 3d6, 3d12, a d6, 2d12

and you want to fit the warblade at lvls where swordsage doesnt get bab to get full bab except 1, same goes for saves

Alvrick
2010-04-11, 03:34 PM
Warblade seems to be the highest suggested class to take, so I'll take that on my full class side. the half-dragon half half-ogre as my race will give me +5 LA, so there's only 5 class levels for that end of it all. I take Dragon Breath at level 6, which gives me unlimited uses of my breath weapon per day as well as entangling breath for obvious reasons. Couple of fighter levels for some power attack cheese, then barbarian for the last three levels for, once again, obvious reasons. I'll also take a couple of flaws so that I have more feat slots. Things like Shaky or inattentive. I'm not likely to use ranged attacks with this build,and we can see and hear each other right from the get go barring magic such as invisibility

so:
LA 5/Fighter 2/Barbarian 3//
Warblade 10

What does everybody think of that?

Ranger Mattos
2010-04-11, 03:36 PM
paragon gives ya 3/day breath

There's also a feat in either Draconomicon or Races of the Dragon (don't remember which) that lets a half dragon use their breath every 1d4 rounds.

EDIT: Curses, he beat me to it.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-11, 03:51 PM
Warblade seems to be the highest suggested class to take, so I'll take that on my full class side. the half-dragon half half-ogre as my race will give me +5 LA, so there's only 5 class levels for that end of it all. I take Dragon Breath at level 6, which gives me unlimited uses of my breath weapon per day as well as entangling breath for obvious reasons. Couple of fighter levels for some power attack cheese, then barbarian for the last three levels for, once again, obvious reasons. I'll also take a couple of flaws so that I have more feat slots. Things like Shaky or inattentive. I'm not likely to use ranged attacks with this build,and we can see and hear each other right from the get go barring magic such as invisibility

so:
LA 5/Fighter 2/Barbarian 3//
Warblade 10

What does everybody think of that?

Like the idea, but try to get the spirit lion totem barbarian for pounce, the save boosting counters... and possibly if you can take it the mage slayer feat tree.

so that is Tome of battle, races of destiny, completa divine & complete arcane (or mage don't remember which one's got the Mage slayer tree)

Alvrick
2010-04-11, 04:08 PM
yeah, that's complete arcane that has mage slayer.

a cool point though, I can give up my availability of prestige classes (which I'm not using anyway) to gain another source. I think the build is solid, Especially with the spirit lion variant, so I get the magic item compendium as my last source for giving up prestige classes and go hog wild with a good weapon (maybe a greataxe or greatsword?) and wicked armor. an animated shield would be a good idea, so That I get my shield bonus while still having a two-handed weapon

Dusk Eclipse
2010-04-11, 04:26 PM
yeah, that's complete arcane that has mage slayer.

a cool point though, I can give up my availability of prestige classes (which I'm not using anyway) to gain another source. I think the build is solid, Especially with the spirit lion variant, so I get the magic item compendium as my last source for giving up prestige classes and go hog wild with a good weapon (maybe a greataxe or greatsword?) and wicked armor. an animated shield would be a good idea, so That I get my shield bonus while still having a two-handed weapon
[S]
I am not sure if valorous was reprinted in MiC, but it is an enchantment that doubles your charging damage, so a valorous keen collission great (sword/axe) would be great.....[/S

But is WAY out of your wealth.. a pity,

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-04-11, 04:57 PM
Psion with Overchannel and Assume Supernatural Ability from Savage Species, Metamorphosis into a Beholder and spam eye rays as a free action in addition to any spells/powers you choose to use.

Wizard/Incantatrix with Split Ray, Sanctum Spell, Twin Spell, Practical Metamagic: Twin, Metamagic School Focus, Ocular Spell, Lesser Rod of Maximize, and Arcane Thesis: Enervation. Spend a full round action to fire four rays, each of which deal eight negative levels.

That said, whatever you make absolutely must be able to have the spell Ray Deflection (Bard 4, Sor/Wiz 4) up at the start of the fight. While you're at it, Heart of Water is also absolutely necessary. Also note that if magic/psionic transparency is in effect, i.e. Dispel Psionics (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dispelPsionics.htm) works on magical buffs, a Psion 10 can spend ten powerpoints to get a 1d20+20 targeted dispel vs your caster level 10 DC of 21. Yes, at level ten a Psion auto-dispels buffs.

A Wizard can Draconic Polymorph into a Behir (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/behir.htm) and get Str 40 with a +6 enhancement bonus item. Assuming something like Warblade 10// Wizard 5/ Incantatrix 5 with Power Attack, Crushing Weight of the Mountain, Armbands of Might, a Belt of Strength +6, and an item granting a competence bonus to Spellcraft checks, that character will get the following attack routine power attacking for -2 to hit:
Bite +21, 2d4+26
improved grab (grapple +33), constrict 2d8+15, constrict 2d6+22
iterative grapple check, bite 2d4+26, constrict 2d8+15, constrict 2d6+22
6 Rakes +21, 1d4+11
Average damage per round, no crits: 249
That character could have been a Gnome with Str 6 (Heroics to get Power Attack after he's Polymorphed), and he's a stronger melee combatant than a Str-focused templated race.

Get as many pets as possible. Obtain Familiar and Improved Familiar, Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) if possible, Thrallherd, Rebuked/Commanded/Created Undead, Effigy constructs, Animal Companion, summoned creatures, etc. The more bodies you have the more actions you get, and that's what will win it. Even consider throwing a Resilient Sphere on yourself at the start of the fight and force your opponent to spend resources dealing with your buffed up minions. You have to either be the character who's guaranteed to win in the first round, or be the character who's guaranteed to last more than one round against anything, in order to win in an arena game.

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-11, 08:33 PM
You're playing in an arena with casters? You lose. Full Stop. As long as the other arena members know to optimize even a little bit you are completely toast. If they are not optimizers, you might have a chance though.

Dekion
2010-06-27, 10:05 PM
As a tip, I would avoid anything having to do with boosting the breath weapon, unless it raises the DC. The DC is ridicilously low 10 + 1/2 racial HD (not level) + Con modifier. Unless you really increase Con, take racial "levels," or the DM is willing to bend the letter of the rules to account for level rather than racial HD, you are looking at no more than half damage almost any time it is used, nil against high level monks, rogues, and the like with improved evasion.

"Edit" I just realized how old this post is, so my point may be moot by now.