PDA

View Full Version : First Responders, Get in Here! Smashed Toes!

Zovc
2010-04-11, 12:55 AM
My girlfriend just smashed her toes in my car door. This wasn't 10 minutes ago, and they're already swollen and red. When I poked them, they turn completely white and flush back almost immediately.

Right now I just has an ice pack on her foot. Is there anything more I can do?

Rutskarn
2010-04-11, 12:58 AM
See if they're broken or bruising. I guess? I don't know. I'm not a doctor.

Ask a doctor.

If it's just swollen, they should theoretically be fine. Maybe. Like I said, I'm not a doctor.

Did you ask a doctor yet? Go do that.

Milskidasith
2010-04-11, 01:00 AM
You do realize you can essentially do nothing for broken toes, and it's not a huge injury, right?

I mean, seeing a doctor is preferable, obviously, but there's not much to *do* for a broken toe, so at most he can just say "they are broken."

EDIT: I'm also not a doctor, but from playing sports, broken toes/fingers are no big deal, and the most you can really do is nothing (for toes) or splint them (for fingers). And you can generally walk with broken toes.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-04-11, 01:02 AM
Ice them.
Quickly.
Then get her to an emergency room.

EVen if there's nothing you can "do" for them if they're broken, she can atleast get some nice prescription pain pills to help ease the agony.

Zovc
2010-04-11, 01:03 AM
I don't think they're broken, and it's too late to bother doctors.

I also don't think it's serious, I'm just wondering if there's anything more I can do for mi'lady. :P

Rutskarn
2010-04-11, 01:04 AM
Give her a lovely blond pony.

RS14
2010-04-11, 01:05 AM
Ice is good. It sounds normal. There's probably no hurry in getting to a doctor. About the only risk would be if a break or similar occurs in such a way as to damage a nerve.

It sounds like circulation is fine. Make sure she can feel all of them. If not, get her to a doctor quickly.

It is possible that that something is broken, in which case they should remain painful. This should also be treated, but isn't a serious emergency.

I am not a doctor.

Milskidasith
2010-04-11, 01:06 AM
Ice them.
Quickly.
Then get her to an emergency room.

EVen if there's nothing you can "do" for them if they're broken, she can atleast get some nice prescription pain pills to help ease the agony.

In order:

Reasonable, an emergency room isn't worth the visit and visiting the emergency room when non critical is a major cause of hospital overcrowding, you don't need prescription pain pills for broken toes (they don't hurt that much after the initial injury, over the counter meds are enough), and I don't think I've ever met somebody with such a low pain tolerance that broken toes are considered agony.

Seriously, you should not go to the emergency room unless you think there is a risk of serious permanent injury or death (and broken toes are neither serious, permanent, nor deadly), and you shouldn't be asking for high grade pain medicines (which can be addictive, though not as often as people make you believe) for broken toes.

EDIT: REAL SUGGESTION:

Ibuprofen, Tylenol, Asprin, or some other pain medicine. 30 minutes after taking it, she should be fine for a few hours, and by the time the pain starts to come back, they'll probably be at the "dull pain unless you hit them again" stage anyway.

Rutskarn
2010-04-11, 01:07 AM
Oh, yeah, and get her some steel-toed punk boots. Have her wear them at all times while in your foot-crushing presence.

Yes, even then. Especially then.

Superglucose
2010-04-11, 01:08 AM
You do realize you can essentially do nothing for broken toes, and it's not a huge injury, right?

I mean, seeing a doctor is preferable, obviously, but there's not much to *do* for a broken toe, so at most he can just say "they are broken."
A doctor will probably splint them, but yeah.

If they're swollen stop poking them and get the lady some painkillers. Probably see a doctor just to make sure, but I doubt they're broken tbh. Bones are tough nuts to crack generally speaking.

Swelling is normal, that's the body's way of saying "HOLY CRAP SOMEONE JUST SLAMMED A DOOR ON MY TOES!" Ice pack can keep the swelling down but put a cloth between the ice/pack and the skin. Painkillers because it probably hurts, you could even carry her to bed or whatever.

Crimmy
2010-04-11, 01:10 AM
I'd suggest you don't "poke" them. Now, ask her if she can move them one by one.
If she says it's too painful, but she can, it's just bruising and broken capillaries.
If she says it's too painful, and she can't (please note CAN NOT) do it, then ice 'em, and do call for a doctor, because it could very well be crushed or broken toes.

Saying "It's too late for one" is, IMHO, the least effective and least intelligent course of action. If that were a broken toe(s), then they have to be treated right away, otherwise it might infect something, and complicate stuff (varying from bone fragments travelling across the blood circulatory system to internal hemorrage caused by said bone fragments).

So, check that out, and if it's broken, do go to the hospital/doctor/whatever.

Brainstomper
2010-04-11, 01:13 AM
When they turn white is it normal skin tone, or "white". If it isn't normal skin tone she could have internal bleeding or tissue damage. This needs to been seen asap.. thats what ERs are for. I've seen people throw blood clots and stroke out on 2 seperate occasions from simpe internal bleeding (15 years 1st responder) Also the doctor can set the broken bones so her toes can heal without funky angles that can lead to imapared gait, further foot issues or even back and spinal issues. I broke my toes and fingers more time than I can count and now have some fingers that point off 30 degrees away for the correct direction, my pinky finger is fused at the first knuckle from overcalfication and we won't even get inot what my toes look like. Even if you don't go to the Er today, try to be seen within a week so if they have to correct things they wont have to rebreak them.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-04-11, 01:16 AM
I highly doubt they're broken. If they were, touching them (or more exactly, poking the toes into the foot) would be agony. This coming from a person who's had literally every limb broken at one point or another and had a car run over my right foot.

At best, they're fractured. The only cause for concern would be her not being able to feel anything when you touch a toe. Get to the ER if that's the case, there could be nerve damage (unlikely though).

Otherwise... Pain meds if she needs them, an ice bath if you have the ice lying around and that's it. She can probably walk as early as tomorrow (although it's better if she doesn't).

RabbitHoleLost
2010-04-11, 01:19 AM
In order:

Reasonable, an emergency room isn't worth the visit and visiting the emergency room when non critical is a major cause of hospital overcrowding, you don't need prescription pain pills for broken toes (they don't hurt that much after the initial injury, over the counter meds are enough), and I don't think I've ever met somebody with such a low pain tolerance that broken toes are considered agony.

Seriously, you should not go to the emergency room unless you think there is a risk of serious permanent injury or death (and broken toes are neither serious, permanent, nor deadly), and you shouldn't be asking for high grade pain medicines (which can be addictive, though not as often as people make you believe) for broken toes.

EDIT: REAL SUGGESTION:

Ibuprofen, Tylenol, Asprin, or some other pain medicine. 30 minutes after taking it, she should be fine for a few hours, and by the time the pain starts to come back, they'll probably be at the "dull pain unless you hit them again" stage anyway.
Here, let me try this again.
Hi, I'm certified in first aid and an currently pursuing an education in the medical field (Okay, its pharm tech, but the school makes me go through all the same classes as the Medical Assistants), though I am by no means a doctor.
Put an ice pack in a towel and apply to your lady's feet, then give her some aspirin and go to the Emergency Room, because those bones may be broken or there may be internal bleeding.

Thanatos 51-50
2010-04-11, 01:19 AM
My girlfriend just smashed her toes in my car door.

I want to know how this happens. :smallconfused:
In other news: Your first reaction should have been to hit the ER after assesing damage, not posting to the Playground for advice.

Rutskarn
2010-04-11, 01:21 AM
In other news: Your first reaction should have been to hit the ER after assesing damage, not posting to the Playground for advice.

Not necessarily. ER's usually have enough problems, and if there's no apparent (serious) harm, appealing for tips seems wise enough.

Brainstomper
2010-04-11, 01:21 AM
Technically a fracture is a broken bone in medical terms. You are diagnosed with the degree of fracture and the extent that it has deformed, pierced the skin etc.. There are like 25 variations on types of fracture that cover everybone in the body. Pain isn;t always indicative of degree of damage.. Possible (but unlikely) that she could be in shock, the fracture is in a low nerve zone (foot) non sole, or the lack of response could be from swelling which is compressing the nerves, thus dulling the pain.

Use the nurse traige number at our local ER. Thats what they are for. Most of the time they will tell you to come in, but can also suggest alternative until a regular Dr. appt is availble

Milskidasith
2010-04-11, 01:26 AM
Here, let me try this again.
Hi, I'm certified in first aid and an currently pursuing an education in the medical field, though I am by no means a doctor.
Put an ice pack in a towel and apply to your lady's feet, then give her some aspirin and go to the Emergency Room, because those bones may be broken or there may be internal bleeding.
{Scrubbed}

Rutskarn
2010-04-11, 01:30 AM
{Scrubbed}

Hey, now, no call for that.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-04-11, 01:32 AM
I think swelling and broken bones are, actually, great reasons to go to the ER.
Especially because broken bones should be kept on file, incase of any unlikely complications.

I just, you know, feel its better to be safe than sorry.

Edit: AS for it causing more pain than helping to go to the ER, I fail to see your reasoning. Even if its not urgent, she won't be taking time away from anyone else.
The wonders of Triaging!
A nurse or MA will classify her as urgent or nonurgent, and she'll be seen on that basis.

In anycase, we're people on the internet, and we don't know how serious this is, and we can't really tell you specifically. You have to assess the situation.
Just be careful of what you choose to do.

Milskidasith
2010-04-11, 01:36 AM
I think swelling and broken bones are, actually, great reasons to go to the ER.
Especially because broken bones should be kept on file, incase of any unlikely complications.

I just, you know, feel its better to be safe than sorry.

Yes, yes, better safe than sorry. Except your sole reason for going to the ER, keeping the bone on file, can be done by going to a regular general practitioner.

Also, using wording like "swelling" and "broken bones" seems to be trying to using, no pun intended, inflammatory language to make the injury sound worse than it is. Remember, it's a potential broken toe. It's not like she potentially broke anything that needs to be set in a cast, which would be a fine reason to go to the hospital, she can go to a regular doctor and get a splint if her toes are even broken.

EDIT: As for going to the ER taking time away from others: Yes, she'd be classified as nonurgent. That doesn't mean that it's still not a waste of the staffs time. While it isn't guaranteed to cause other people direct harm, and it certainly wouldn't cause the hospital staff to sit around letting patients die while they splint her toes, the fact that it would delay others who had more pressing issues (even nonurgent issues are probably more severe than broken toes) is not exactly a good thing.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-04-11, 01:37 AM
Yes, yes, better safe than sorry. Except your sole reason for going to the ER, keeping the bone on file, can be done by going to a regular general practitioner.

Also, using wording like "swelling" and "broken bones" seems to be trying to using, no pun intended, inflammatory language to make the injury sound worse than it is. Remember, it's a potential broken toe. It's not like she potentially broke anything that needs to be set in a cast, which would be a fine reason to go to the hospital, she can go to a regular doctor and get a splint if her toes are even broken.

...they're words both he and you used! :smallconfused:

Brainstomper
In all fairness we have no relavent knowledge in this matter. Not even a fully qualified doctor would be ethicaly able to offer medical advice without seeing the case in question first hand. We can offer advice which the OP can chose to take or ignore. We should not try to steer him into making a chioce, but simply given him informed advice. I stand by my idea that a call to nurse triage is probably the best idea. Simple injuries can lead to serious complications or they can simply be nothing to worry about. There are multiple respecatable websites thatcan provide you with more detaialed and accurate inforamtioon than we can without adding personal bias. Best of luck

Temotei
I wrap my broken toes in duct tape. Works wonders.

Worira
2010-04-11, 01:39 AM
Guys, guys. Let's compromise. Amputate the toes, then go to the emergency room.

PS also gals

Brainstomper
2010-04-11, 01:41 AM
I used duct tape and a clean maxipad when a got shot while hunting. Not trying to one up you (maybe a little, its a great story) but field expediated first aid is really cool. If you can get into a EMT program its one of the coolest classes.

Temotei
2010-04-11, 01:41 AM
I used duct tape and a clean maxipad when a got shot while hunting. Not trying to one up you (maybe a little, its a great story) but field expediated first aid is really cool. If you can get into a EMT program its one of the coolest classes.

At least you weren't with **** Cheney.

:smallsigh: Filter.

Milskidasith
2010-04-11, 01:42 AM
...they're words both he and you used! :smallconfused:

I never used the words broken bones, because that implies images of broken arms, or legs, or feet, or your back, or more severe injuries that can't generally be solved by, at best, a quick visit to the doctor to get it X-rayed and splinted. I always referred to it as at least a broken toe, and I am fairly sure I mentioned that it was a potentially broken toe in all cases, and if I didn't, that was my lack of clarity.

Swelling is also a word I didn't use; any impact that hits hard enough will cause swelling, whether it causes serious injury or not. You can get swelling from bumping your arm/leg/head into just about any object, and if your toes weren't swelling after having a door slammed on them, I'd be concerned, or at least curious why they weren't.

Anyway, the long and short of it is that if he believes her toes are broken, I think you can solve the issue by making a doctors appointment and going then, rather than going to the ER; it is highly unlikely a potential broken toe is a significant enough injury that you cannot wait a day to get it checked out, especially if you aren't sure it's even broken, and, at least where I go, all the tools to splint your toe should be available there. Ice and over the counter medicine are definitely advisable though.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-04-11, 01:43 AM
Anyways, incredibly pointless debate aside, Zovc, you need to assess the situation and damage yourself, 'cause we're strangers on the internet and we can't see what's going on.
If you feel it isn't completely urgent, wait til morning to get her in to see her GM practitioner.

Brainstomper
2010-04-11, 01:44 AM
Well I was in Wyoming (Sheridan). My old man knew him from his work with the Vetrans hosipital. I didn't ever go, but my old man did go dogging with Cheney in about 1987 (I was about 14). He was the Senior Senator then.

Temotei
2010-04-11, 01:54 AM
Well I was in Wyoming (Sheridan). My old man knew him from his work with the Vetrans hosipital. I didn't ever go, but my old man did go dogging with Cheney in about 1987 (I was about 14). He was the Senior Senator then.

I'm mildly impressed. :smallamused:

SensFan
2010-04-11, 01:55 AM
As a trained wilderness first responder (which does indeed cover the stuff below that, which is relevant here), I'm going to agree with the people suggesting an ER visit. Contrary to what some are saying, it will not adversly affect anyone else in any significant manner. If I were to come across someone who suspected fractured/broken toes downtown or anything, I'd probably ask them if they could drive to a hospital immediately. If not, I'd call 9-1-1 before doing any sort of first aid. Emergency Rooms are there to be used, and though the name might be slightly misleading, it does not need to be a 'serious' or 'life-threatning' issue at all. Triage is there, and though you may wait a few hours, you will be seen.

Deathslayer7
2010-04-11, 02:47 AM
my foot got run over by a car before. Mom needed something from the house, came out and before i could step back she put the gas on and ran over my foot. Luckily i put shoes on. Hurt like hell but only bruising occured.

ER probably isnt necessary but do go to a doctor in the morning.

Adumbration
2010-04-11, 04:11 AM
As a trained wilderness first responder (which does indeed cover the stuff below that, which is relevant here), I'm going to agree with the people suggesting an ER visit. Contrary to what some are saying, it will not adversly affect anyone else in any significant manner. If I were to come across someone who suspected fractured/broken toes downtown or anything, I'd probably ask them if they could drive to a hospital immediately. If not, I'd call 9-1-1 before doing any sort of first aid. Emergency Rooms are there to be used, and though the name might be slightly misleading, it does not need to be a 'serious' or 'life-threatning' issue at all. Triage is there, and though you may wait a few hours, you will be seen.

This.

Go along with her for company, or give her a good book to pass the time while waiting. (Of course, I'm speaking as an army medic of a different country, so I can't really say much about the length of lines over there, but she may be in for some waiting. But it's necessary, anyway.)

If you're rich, a private doctor would do as well, and be probably much faster.

Zovc
2010-04-11, 12:01 PM

My girlfriend should live in a bubble.

My good man, this is just slander!
Her toes were not crooked in any manner;
she said "they don't hurt any" beyond the plantar.
[/post-rap]
On top of that, every suggestion I saw online (not just here) seemed to imply that there wasn't anything I could do unless there was serious damage. Her toes seem fine today, and they don't bother her at all.

Also, the nearest hospital (about 15 minutes away) isn't the best, and its E.R. almost always backed up.

SensFan
2010-04-11, 12:18 PM
My girlfriend should live in a bubble.

My good man, this is just slander!
Her toes were not crooked in any manner;
she said "they don't hurt any" beyond the plantar.
[/post-rap]
On top of that, every suggestion I saw online (not just here) seemed to imply that there wasn't anything I could do unless there was serious damage. Her toes seem fine today, and they don't bother her at all.

Also, the nearest hospital (about 15 minutes away) isn't the best, and its E.R. almost always backed up.
Not going to a hospital when you suspect broken bones because 1) People on the internet told you not to; and 2) There may be delays; seems extremely foolish to me.

Don't forget: It's much much better to call 911 (or drive to the ER) 100 times when it wasn't necessary, than not do it the 1 time it was.

PhoeKun
2010-04-11, 12:32 PM

I'm reminded of the time I managed to impale myself on a letter opener (we'll not discuss the details of this, ok?), and my first instinct was not to call emergency services, but to ask for advice in the IRC chat I was in. It was absolutely, phenomenally stupid of me.

I don't think this country has any hospitals so bad that they'd offer worse care than the internet, and they're certainly not going to get help any slower. I'm relieved for your girlfriend that it doesn't seem to be anything serious, but if this sort of thing happens again you really owe it to her to make sure she gets real, professional care. You don't want to see what happens in that instance when it turns out she needed it.

Zovc
2010-04-11, 02:01 PM
I'm without a job (and insurance), an unnecessary hospital visit doesn't seem like a good thing. :(

Isn't there a charge associated with 911, as well?

I know I sound like a total cheap-ass, but I'm not in a good financial situation at all.

SensFan
2010-04-11, 02:59 PM
I'm without a job (and insurance), an unnecessary hospital visit doesn't seem like a good thing. :(

Isn't there a charge associated with 911, as well?

I know I sound like a total cheap-ass, but I'm not in a good financial situation at all.
Ah, right. I'm talking from my experience in Canada. I don't know about the US, but up here hospital visit is free, and an ambulance trip costs about 50 bucks.

zeratul
2010-04-11, 03:07 PM
Ah, right. I'm talking from my experience in Canada. I don't know about the US, but up here hospital visit is free, and an ambulance trip costs about 50 bucks.

Here hospital visits cost money, unless you're covered by insurance, and ambulance rides tend to be somewhere in the 600 dollars from what I remember.

EDIT: Just checked on the price, it's $650 a ride plus milage, and rides average between $700 and $800.

SensFan
2010-04-11, 03:17 PM
That is, quite frankly, ridiculous. I'm not sure I can say more without crossing the into political discussion.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-04-11, 03:28 PM
I was going to say something, but then I saw the $$ for going to a hospital, and now I'm not going to say anything, for risk of getting political. :smallsigh:

Jack Squat
2010-04-11, 03:58 PM
Even if the visits were free (or incredibly cheap), there's no reason to go to the doctor (much less ER) for broken toes, or supposedly broken toes. Most of the time they won't even prescribe meds, as you typically don't need more than ice packs and motrin. All you're going to do is clog up the place if you go into the ER. It's not your personal doctor office - go if you need hospital care, not because you need prescriptions or want to get that lump looked at. [/rant]

If the toes look like they're healing fine and returning to normal that's great. Just have her go easy on her feet for a bit and ice them for 15-20 minutes whenever possible until the swelling is completely gone. If they start swelling and turn red again or leak puss, then it's time to go to see a doctor.

Zovc
2010-04-11, 04:17 PM
I don't think this thread serves any more purpose.

Thanks for your input, everyone.

I have things to say (I don't think any of it is abrasive), but I imagine it would cause a political discussion. It's probably best this thread is ignored and/or closed.