PDA

View Full Version : What would you do...?

druid91
2010-04-11, 01:10 AM
What would you do if you suddenly required no sleep little food and minimal water, and for food rocks and soil would give you about the same nutritional value as a cheeseburger?

Innis Cabal
2010-04-11, 01:11 AM
Be more productive? Spend less money? I mean...there really isn't anything special you could really do with the ability not to eat a whole lot and not sleep.

Mythestopheles
2010-04-11, 01:14 AM
I would probably become even less productive truth be told...

druid91
2010-04-11, 01:15 AM
Well you could make someone angry by eating there yard. you could swim the ocean. you could take a night shift job at evil inc.:smallconfused:

I would probably become even less productive truth be told...

me as well I wouldn't have that, you will die if you fail to work, thing going on in my head anymore so the only time I would work would be when I wanted something.

Brainstomper
2010-04-11, 01:15 AM
Sounds like Pika.

druid91
2010-04-11, 01:18 AM
Nah, that doesn't make you a super eater it just makes you want to eat soil or clay, which doesn't help you.

Rutskarn
2010-04-11, 01:23 AM
Eh--probably spend a lot of time slacking off and vidjamagaming, honestly. It'd take some of the pressure off getting a job right out of college, but I didn't pick my chosen field because it'd pay the bills, so I'd still get crackin' there.

I'd probably get a little more done in life, and it'd be nice, overall.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2010-04-11, 01:24 AM
Spend less on food, buy more toys.

Wait, wait. Okay, so soil is just as nutritious as 'a cheeseburger' to our newfound Larvitar biology. But does it still taste horrid? What I mean to say is, my digestive system has been radically altered by Green Rocks, what about my taste buds? Does an orange still taste like an orange? Does a rock still taste like something I don't want in my mouth? What about soap, because my mind suddenly flashed to that old "Don't you put it in your mouth" puppet-powered musical commericals.

What comes out the other end of our digestive track? My god, what if we turn into stone caccoon-creatures when we turn 30 years old, only to emerge as a might stone dragon-monster when we live to fifty-five?

Temotei
2010-04-11, 01:25 AM
you could swim the ocean.

Ah, but you only specified that you don't need sleep. Your muscles would still get tired.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-04-11, 01:27 AM
Life would suck, since eating an actual cheeseburger would be enough food for me to last the whole year and eating two cheeseburgers would suddenly turn me into a 1930's blimp. Three cheeseburgers and we're talking Titanic...

And I actually like cheeseburgers. Even from McDonalds.

PS: don't tell anyone about that last part. It's my little secret vice.

Boo
2010-04-11, 01:27 AM
Don't you put it in your mouth! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AuLkMBAFZg)

Brainstomper
2010-04-11, 01:29 AM
Pika is the belief or desire that non-nutrious substance can be/should be comsumed. Some people with Pika actually believe that they can eat clay, wood, hair paper etc and survive. Over my years working at a pysch group home I've encounterd it alot. Its not as bad as tripotrillmania (not even close on spelling) which is the uncontrolable urge to remove boday hair.. eye brows, lashs.. pubic whereever..

mucat
2010-04-11, 01:29 AM
Spend the rest of my life trying to figure out why I can do these things, of course. I mean, this is the kind of discovery that makes Nobel laureates look like amateurs...

golentan
2010-04-11, 01:30 AM
I'd probably throw my stuff into a wagon and walk the earth. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WalkingTheEarth)

My main concern with funds has always been the procurement of foodstuffs. With that gone? I'm out of here like a shot. Things to see, people to do, wrongs to left.

Temotei
2010-04-11, 01:31 AM
Actually, I'd pretty much do what I do now, minus the four hours of sleep.

Hazkali
2010-04-11, 03:28 AM
I had this conversation with a friend a while ago, and I decided I'd read and study more. Even if I only do a few more hours daily out of the eight or so that are freed up, that would soon add up.

Adumbration
2010-04-11, 03:38 AM
An interesting thought, really. I might miss sleep, just to pace the days, and avoid going insane. If I was wholly unable to sleep, I would probably start meditating daily.

At some point, I would probably go for trekking in the nature for a few months, just for the experience of being able to concentrate in observing instead of petty human needs such as eating and sleeping.

Yarram
2010-04-11, 04:10 AM
I guess, I still require hygiene, clothes and shelter?

I'd probably continue what I'm doing now, with the added power of not having to sleep. It's be great for parties... Especially the eating rocks part. :smallbiggrin:

I might spend more time gardening than I do now, which is 0.

Ichneumon
2010-04-11, 04:55 AM
I'd continue doing what I do, except spend less time eating and sleeping and spend it on the stuff I spend my other time with.

ClockShock
2010-04-11, 07:37 AM
I'd suddenly have twice as much time in the day as i usually do.

It would be pretty useful as long as i could gather up the motivation, so i guess i'd just take on a load more extra projects to keep me busy.

I'm still not eating rocks however; cheeseburgers taste good.

Helanna
2010-04-11, 08:01 AM
I would LOVE not having to sleep (much). I can't even count the number of days I've gone to school on less than four hours of sleep just because I didn't want to go to bed.

That said, with those abilities, I'd probably just end up memorizing all of TvTropes, watching every episode of all those shows that I keep thinking I should watch at some point, and reading every decent webcomic I could find.

Although, if I didn't have to spend money on food, that would free up a lot of activities that I've always wanted to take up but never had the money to do, so I'd probably actually get a lot more done.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-04-11, 04:17 PM
To take this thought further, I could make a living out of eating rocks... :smallamused:

Raiki
2010-04-11, 09:30 PM
First, I would throw a week long party in celebration of the defeat of my lifelong enemy: sleep. Then, I would quit my job and devote at least 8 hours a day to writing. I would never have to worry about starving, so I wouldn't need to worry about never getting published. Maybe I would move to Aruba, or Jamaica, or some other warm island where I wouldn't need to worry about dying of exposure. Seems like that pretty much covers everything.

~R~

Winter_Wolf
2010-04-11, 10:27 PM
What would you do if you suddenly required no sleep little food and minimal water, and for food rocks and soil would give you about the same nutritional value as a cheeseburger?

Wait, I thought that rocks and soil already have about the same nutritional value as a cheeseburger? :smallwink: Okay my jokes suck, but seriously I think I've had dirt that is better for my health than junk food. (When you fall down face-first outdoors.....)

I would be so stoked if I didn't need to sleep anymore! My biggest complaint in life is that there just is NOT enough time in the day to get everything done that I want to do, and I'm already sacrificing more sleep than is probably healthy to just try and eke a little more time to get things done. Oh, and I would totally get a graveyard shift job so I could enjoy my days instead of being cooped up in a confined space with no windows.

Xyk
2010-04-11, 11:34 PM
I would probably be homeless until it started sucking a whole lot and then live as well as possible by only doing enjoyable things. Living off art and music AND eating is tough.

valadil
2010-04-11, 11:37 PM
Hrm. I'd do all that stuff that's on my todo list. Basically I'd socialize while people were awake and do hobby stuff (coding, game writing, guitar playing, painting, exercise, reading, video games) while alone. I'd probably run out of things to do instead of being buried under them.

arguskos
2010-04-12, 12:16 AM
Depends on if I can still taste or not. If I can, I will continue as I am, and only eat what I wish, since food is one of my major joys, a MASSIVE source of enjoyment and art for me. If I can no longer taste, I will probably go utterly insane, and do something crazy, like vanish into the world for 20 years to live in the woods or walk the earth or something nutty.

Not that I don't want to do that ANYWAYS, but I'd like to be able to still enjoy food when I do.

Player_Zero
2010-04-12, 12:21 AM
I would move to a completely secluded area and never talk to another living soul for the rest of my existence.

ViikinkiSusi
2010-04-12, 12:28 AM
Considering cheeseburgers have hardly any nutritional value, depending on where said burger is purchased, and considering it tastes a helluva lot better than soil and rocks, I would probably spend my sleepless nights eating myself into a coma where I would then die, because, who really has enough hobbies and pastimes to fill 24 hours? Sleep is necessary, my friend; otherwise you end up on forums at eleven at night with a fork in your mouth and tears on your cheeks. Does anybody want to live like that? Why am I here right now?! SLEEP, MAN, SLEEP!

Trog
2010-04-12, 12:41 AM
♪♫ ...FOR A KLONDIKE BAR!!! ♪♫

>_>
<_<

*ahem*

Er.. Trog'd probably still eat stuff that tasted good. And it's hard to say if sleep will be missed. Depends on if one gets to feel refreshed in the morning still. And if the subconscious will still sort things out what with the lack of dreaming opportunities and all.

Thajocoth
2010-04-12, 02:21 PM

Cheer. I hate wasting time on sleeping... and cooking... and eating... I'd prefer if it went further to just not needing any food at all. I hate eating.

I would not eat dirt though. I'd continue to eat what I eat now, albeit less of it. (Ravioli, Pasta, Macaroni & Cheese, Pizza - My 4 food groups)

druid91
2010-04-12, 04:03 PM
Okay the taste thing, As it is now edible rocks would taste like different varients of cheeseburgers, and I don't mean ones with all the nutritional value removed, the good ones with piles of lettuce and tomato, think Wendys, or if this suits you better pizza.
Also the removal of the requirement for sleep doesn't mean you can't just that you won't get tired and you don't have to. if you lay down and close your eyes long enough you will doze off, it would take a few hours though.

Ilena
2010-04-12, 04:11 PM
I would be happy, simply as i wouldnt be tired 24x7, then id also have time to go do other things if i so choose, and id probably get a second job to help pay for stuff :P