PDA

View Full Version : Voice Casting Call

NeoVid
2010-04-11, 01:26 AM
This has probably been done before and I missed it, but what voices do you imagine for the major OotS characters?

I thought of this entirely because one voice possibility came to mind recently, and I can't get it out of my head...

Voice for V's Raven: James Earl Jones

(side note: I can't remember the raven's name at all... it seems like he should be on the Cast page now.)

Starscream
2010-04-11, 01:45 AM
It's been done, but not often enough! Here are my picks.

I always imagined OOTS as a cartoon, so my choices are mostly professional voice actors, chosen for the way they sound rather than look.

:roy: Brett Butler
:vaarsuvius: Tara Strong
:sabine: Cree Summer
:elan:/:nale: Billy West
:thog: Jim Cummings
:mitd: Chris Latta (sadly deceased)
:haley: Wendee Lee
:redcloak: Maurice LaMarche
:belkar: Rob Paulsen
:durkon: Craig Ferguson
:roach: mc chris
:xykon: Frank Welker
:miko: Tia Carrere

Explanations for those who unlike me are not pathetic enough to enjoy identifying voice actors whenever they watch cartoons (I'm thinking of turning it into a Bingo game!):

Brett Butler - Quinn from Sealab 2021. Very good when it comes to the whole "only sane man trying to keep a bunch of lunatics in check" routine.

Tara Strong - The only voice actor I could think of who never seems constrained by gender. Her voices are often too high to be definitely male, and too low to be definitely female, and she plays lots of characters of both sexes. I was particularly thinking of her role as Raven from Teen Titans, as she also has a sort of intellectual monotone going there.

Cree Summer - Very good at playing "bitchy" characters. I personally think she kind of looks (http://www.martinipink.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/cree-summer.jpg) like Sabine as well, or at least how I imagine Sabine might look if she weren't a stick figure. Can currently be heard as Blackarachnia in Transformers.

Billy West - Fry from Futurama. 'nuff said. Has done a ton of other stuff, but I figure Elan sounds the most like Fry.

Jim Cummings - Has done stuff from all over the spectrum, like Tigger and Darkwing Duck, but is especially good as big tough guys.

Chris Latta - Played Starscream (my namesake). Also Cobra commander. Sadly no longer with us.

Wendee Lee - Haruhi Suzumiya and Konata Izumi in their English dubs. If you've ever watch anime in English, you've heard her. If you've ever played a video game, you've heard her. Probably the most prolific female voice actor ever, with the exception of Tress Macneille and maybe June Foray.

Maurice LaMarche - Can do pretty much any voice. Plays a dozen characters on Futurama alone, for example. I particularly like the Orson Welles impression he does for The Brain of Pinky and the Brain.

Rob Paulson - One of my personal favorite voice actors, especially as Yakko or Raphael.

Craig Ferguson - I was looking for a Scottish brogue, and his was the first to come to mind. He was on Freakazoid quite often.

mc chris - For some reason I imagine the roaches being shrill and annoying. Enter mc chris, who is so annoying he actually comes around to being likable from the other side.

Frank Welker - He is actually the number one "All Time Top 100 Stars at the Box Office", not because he is famous but because he has done so darn much. The dude is second only to Mel Blanc in the bout for "Best voice actor of all time". In particular he was Megatron, and no one can rival Xykon for sheer badassery like Megatron.

Tia Carrere - The Martian Queen from Duck Dodgers. Also heard in Lilo and Stitch. And played Wayne's hot girlfriend in the Wayne's World movies.

SensFan
2010-04-11, 01:45 AM
It's been done before, I believe.

I personally would cast a OotS movie like this, ideally:

Roy - Dwayne Johnson (Honourable mention goes to Samuel Jackson)
Haley - Anne Hathaway
Belkar - Drawing a blank here
Elan - Michel Cera
Durkon - Robin Williams (Don't know why here, just gut)
V - Robotic synthesized voice
Eugene Greenhilt - Morgan Freeman

Arutema
2010-04-11, 01:47 AM
Trey Parker for Belkar, on account of voicing a certain other short sociopath.

Christopher Lee for Xykon, of course.

Deca
2010-04-11, 02:09 AM
Hire Billy West and Maurice LaMarche. There, it's done. Between the two of them, they can do any voice you could possibly want.

ThePhantasm
2010-04-11, 01:02 PM
Note: Some actors in dual roles.

:roy: Samuel L. Jackson (Unbreakable)
Jackson can be both funny and a badass. Perfect for Roy.

:nale: Jack Black (Kung Fu Panda)
I can see Jack Black being an over-the-top maniacal villain as Nale, while at the same time being naive as Elan.

:redcloak: Brad Dourif (The Lord of the Rings)
Dourif could give Redcloak the sofistication and subdued anger that he needs, while at the same time playing Vaarsuvious, whom he fits well with his androgynous voice.

:belkar: Mark Hamill (Batman: Mask of the Phantasm)
Hamill is probably the best voice actor on this list, able to pull off a variety of voices from the Joker to Solomon Grundy. This is why he would be a perfect choice for the killer jokester Belkar while at the same time playing a naive but powerful MITD.

:durkon: Mike Myers (Shrek)
Mike Myers, with his scottish accent, would be a great Belkar, and I have no doubt he'd pull off a funny Thog as well with a different, deeper voice.

:xykon: Kevin Conroy (Batman: Mask of the Phantasm)
Conroy is sofisticated, wryly humored, and menacing enough to be Xykon easily.

:elan: Jack Black (Kung Fu Panda)
See above about Nale.

:vaarsuvius: Brad Dourif (The Lord of the Rings)
See above about Redcloak.

:haley: Dana Delany (Superman: The Animated Series)
Dana Delany can be spunky, feisty, and also naive and vulnerable. A perfect Haley in my opinion.

:thog: Mike Myers (Shrek)
See above about Durkon.

:miko: Yuunjin Kim (LOST)
This is probably the casting I'm least confident in. Kim can pull off an emotionless voice pretty well though, which would fit Miko's coldness, and can also yell pretty loud, which would fit Miko's temper tantrums.

:sabine: Bonnie Hunt (Cars)
Someone with past voice experience, who could pull off a deceptively innocent voice that would be great for Sabine.

:mitd: Mark Hamill (Batman: Mask of the Phantasm)
See above about Belkar.

Dogmantra
2010-04-11, 01:26 PM
Shojo would have to be voiced by Stephen Fry.

wzeller
2010-04-11, 02:07 PM
The only one that matters:

O-Chul must be voiced by Chuck Norris.

There are no casting errors that could be made with the rest of the characters that could overcome the coolness of Chuck Norris as O-Chul.

apenpaap
2010-04-11, 02:25 PM
Durkon: Alan Young
Vaarsuvius: Alison Ewing
Xykon: Earl Boen
Redcloak: Casey Biggs
Shojo: Stephen Fry

Eloel
2010-04-12, 12:55 PM
The only one that matters:

O-Chul must be voiced by Chuck Norris.

There are no casting errors that could be made with the rest of the characters that could overcome the coolness of Chuck Norris as O-Chul.

This. Seriously.

the humanity
2010-04-12, 01:34 PM
Morgan Freeman as the Oracle.

Dr.Epic
2010-04-12, 06:19 PM
I kind of think :xykon: should be James Earl Jones because (a) he's the voice of Darth Vader and (b) there's a reference to that in SoD.

Warlock Odin
2010-04-12, 06:27 PM
Patrick stuart
Sir Ian Mckellen
Adam west

as Lee, Nero and Cedrik of the I.F.C.C

Arman shimmerman as quar (its not just because of the similar name to a previosly played character... but it helps)

Also to Starscream i do the same thing with voice actors, you may understand this isn't Jim Cummings just everywhere (and Frank Welker)

Tyrion L.
2010-04-12, 07:20 PM
:redcloak: Simple. Christopher Eccelston. Watch Doctor Who New Series Season 1. He's PERFECT for the role.

:nale: / :elan: : Johnny Depp. He is capable of complete change of emotion which would suit playing the two. Case in point: Jack Sparrow.

:mitd: : Cam Clarke. Just because Clarke is awesome, and it'd be a good change for him. Plus he voiced a freaking DRAGON once.

:xykon: : John Simm - Again, his role of the Master is PERFECT for Xykon. The Master is a sadistic megalomaniacal bastard who actually manages to be hilarious at times.

:vaarsuvius:: Tara Strong seems like a good choice, actually. Although I'd think she'd do better as :sabine:.

That's all I can think of.

RelentlessImp
2010-04-12, 08:07 PM
:xykon: Christopher Lee. Because... damn. That would be too awesome and is perfection.

:roy: Samuel L. Jackson. Because he's tired of these mother-fuggin' Chaotic Evil Halflings on this mother-fuggin' Chaotic Evil Sorcerer.

:elan:/:nale: Gonna have to agree; Johnny Depp.

:mitd: Mark Hamill.

:redcloak: Also Hamill.

Tyrion L.
2010-04-12, 08:13 PM
:xykon: Christopher Lee. Because... damn. That would be too awesome and is perfection.

:roy: Samuel L. Jackson. Because he's tired of these mother-fuggin' Chaotic Evil Halflings on this mother-fuggin' Chaotic Evil Sorcerer.

:elan:/:nale: Gonna have to agree; Johnny Depp.

:mitd: Mark Hamill.

:redcloak: Also Hamill.

I guess with the MitD Hamill would work, but I insist Redcloak has to be Christopher Eccelston. And Xykon has to be John Simm. Really, I think Christopher Lee really doesn't suit his personality. John Simm...Watch the Doctor Who New Series Season 3 finale, and if you don't think Xykon you're strange.

Cleverdan22
2010-04-12, 09:19 PM
For a second I thought this was a thread about the OotS voice acting thing that happened a while back. Oh well. Please see sig for Elan/Nale voice.

Torick
2010-04-12, 09:55 PM
Really? No one has suggested

:mitd: Patrick friggin' Warburton

yet?

His character "Kronk" of The Emperor's New Groove basically was the MitD - a big dangerous brute on Team Evil, mostly because of being too dense and too occupied with little domestic interests to tell the difference. Practically every line of the character could be seamlessly spoken by the MitD - and Warburton was perfect for it (as well as his other roles - e.g. The Tick, Joe from Family Guy, the big dumb guy from Big Trouble - where he always seems to play or voice-act about the same character).

Other than that point, I'd say Johnny Depp makes a pretty good fit for :elan: and :nale:, just because it would be perfect to have them voice-acted by the same actor, and Johnny Depp's Jack Blackish enough to pull off the characters without being so Jack Blackish that you wonder why the character doesn't look like Jack Black (think Kung Fu Panda). Other tha that, I'm mostly noncommital - I don't think you can even give a solid voice to Xykon, given how he notes how his voice actually changes when he acquires the black speech balloons - it's probably a bit too inhuman to matter much who provides the base for whatever you do with the voice.

Edit: Tsukiko is Sarah Silverman. Obviously.

ThePhantasm
2010-04-12, 11:24 PM
Mark Hamill as everyone.

Just... ah... joking.

veti
2010-04-12, 11:41 PM
:belkar: Kelsey Grammer.

Seriously, am I the only one who sees this? Belkie's not a mindless, grunting psychopath - he's an urbane, sophisticated (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0261.html), gourmet (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0475.html) psychopath. Just look at his vocabulary - he's better educated than anyone bar Vaarsuvius.

:durkon: please, please let it be someone who can speak in a convincing Scots accent. That definitely rules out Robin Williams...

Windup
2010-04-12, 11:49 PM
It's been done, but not often enough! Here are my picks.

Welker as Xykon is genius. Tara Strong as Vaarsuvius is good too, she can pretty much do anything. I was actually going to suggest her Teen Titans castmate Khary Payton (Cyborg) as Roy, though Brett Butler is a fine choice as well.

jidasfire
2010-04-13, 12:37 AM
Don't know if anyone has suggested this already, but James Woods would make a great Xykon. Most of the time, his voice comes across as charming and funny, with just a hint of old-timey comedian. However, when he gets mad, he can sound terrifying.

I always hear Ken Watanabe's voice when O-Chul speaks. He has that grizzled yet dignified quality.

Now, my Belkar choice is going to sound insane until I explain it, but I choose Lauren Tom. On the show Teen Titans, Ms. Tom played Gizmo, a tiny, bald, foul-mouthed kid with a nasty chip on his shoulder, so I think it fits.

Herald Alberich
2010-04-13, 12:53 AM
Really? No one has suggested

:mitd: Patrick friggin' Warburton

yet?

Hmm, maybe, but despite the MitD's size, I've always imagined a childlike voice from him. Warburton's voice is way too deep to mesh with what's in my mind, though I don't doubt he could pull it off. He'd also make a good Thog.

Revlid
2010-04-13, 05:09 AM
So, in the past numerous voice actors have been suggested for Xykon. John Cleese, James Woods, James Earl Jones... But an unrelated trawl through TV Tropes brought back childhood memories of a man who, looking at his performance now, would be the perfect voice for Xykon.

I am, of course, talking about Paul Freeman, who has played many excellent roles, none of which compare to Ivan Ooze (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6HLo7ppwK4&feature=related).

Also, the guy who voiced the pig-man is my new pick for the MitD. I've yet to convince myself totally that Barbara Goodson would be a good fit for Tsukiko, but for the sake of the theme, I'm getting there.

KiwiImperator
2010-04-13, 05:45 AM
Thulsa Doom and Xykon must have the same voice actor. It is necessary for the continued integrity of the cosmos.

OITS
2010-04-13, 05:46 AM
Jeremy Irons!

Tyrion L.
2010-04-13, 05:50 AM
Two words: John Simm.

KiwiImperator
2010-04-13, 05:54 AM
What, no David Warner? You've broken my little tyrant heart, Playgrounders.

Kerrah
2010-04-13, 06:09 AM
Read Start of Darkness. Xykon sounds kinda like James Earl Jones: "Check it out, if I pitch it a little lower: Luke, I am your father! Sounds just like him, right?"

Also, couldn't this just be a part of the recent general voice acting thread? Xykon's voice doesn't need its own page.

Revlid
2010-04-13, 06:30 AM
Xykon must be Paul Freeman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6HLo7ppwK4&feature=related).

MikelaC1
2010-04-13, 07:31 AM
The "puns are for girls" line would have to be delivered by none other than Arnold.

Cleverdan22
2010-04-13, 07:43 AM
Just... ah... joking.

Hahhh....I see what has happened here. Ahhh. Awesome

Scarlet Knight
2010-04-13, 09:21 AM
Those are some great choices. But since we have done this before, let me take it another way.

Years ago an impressionist named Rich Little did "A Christmas Carol" using his various celebrity voices.

I submit Frank Caliendo doing OOTS with these celebrity voices :

:roy: Charles Barkley
:vaarsuvius: Dr Phil
:belkar: Bill Clinton
:durkon: John Madden
:elan: George W. Bush
:haley: Elaine from Seinfeld

:nale: William Shatner
:redcloak: Al Pacino
:xykon: Jack Nicholson

:roach: Jerry , George, & Kramer

theMycon
2010-04-13, 12:02 PM
John Truitt is the only right answer.

"Not Xykon, dear wrong-eye... God-Emperor Xykon"

The 'would have been a spoiler if there weren't already 5 versions of the game and the game itself 18 years old' link. ('http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anp4lD6E5NU')

ThePhantasm
2010-04-13, 12:27 PM
We already have a voice acting thread. Why do we need one just for Xykon?

Beorn080
2010-04-13, 12:58 PM
If I may interject a minor character.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0132.html
Gortok the Destroyer voiced by Jackie Chan. He is quite capable of singing a jaunty tune while beating a person to a pulp. As seen here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLNgvNllU58

apenpaap
2010-04-13, 01:13 PM
Earl Boen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E77DR9JzI4#t=8m23s) as Xykon.

Nimrod's Son
2010-04-14, 01:56 AM
Jet Li as Professor Xavion. Stephen Hawking as everyone else.

Shanty Man
2010-04-14, 04:04 PM
The "puns are for girls" line would have to be delivered by none other than Arnold.

O my god yes