PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Thread Necromancy (Everyone Please Read)

DracoDei
2010-04-11, 07:20 AM
I think there has been an increase in the amount of thread necromancy in the Homebrew area lately. Mostly from Pixies I think. People are quick to gently correct the Necromancers, and besides which the rules are a bit looser about that for Homebrew IIRC. I just wanted to say that since feedback IS so valuible, it might be best if we start saying stuff more along the lines of: "PM the creator, or make a new thread instead of necroing." instead of stuff along the lines of "Don't necro.".

Mulletmanalive
2010-04-11, 07:37 AM
A wise decision.

PMs instead of resurrection would be better than anything, i think.

I think the main reason that threadomancy is mostly ignored in here is that its often then taken up again by the OP, resurrecting projects rather than gumming up the front-page.

Possibly one of the best examples was when Xallance's Soulknife was resurrected and entered play and lively debate. Heck, Tavar even played the thing!

sigurd
2010-04-11, 10:15 AM
PMing is a good idea and a reasonable thing to do first.

But is it then thread necromancy to want new opinions on an element based on game changes? Say I wanted opinions on a pathfinder variant of your own Beige Dragon, from 2007?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59834

I think homebrew uses old material - we're not waving a new argument around or telling people things they already should know. We're not bitching about a problem for the umpteenth time.

Homebrew thredomancy even reduces server load by putting any changes to a monster etc.... in one place causing fewer lookups and less confusion. Which is better, 4 posts about a creature - one a year in new threads with expanded stats each time and subtle modifications or 1 post updated 4 times?

If a link is in a sig, is it still necromancy? Or is it a very recent link to an old thread?

Sigurd

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-11, 10:38 AM
I just have folks post in my creation thread anything they wish to comment about certain things. Most of the more prolific brewers have one. Those that don't can make one.

However, if the creator is still around don't see too much harm in threadomancy. But then, I'm also not an admin.

DaTedinator
2010-04-11, 10:42 AM
From what I've seen, the rules regarding necromancy are no looser in the Homebrew forum than anywhere else. It's just that PMing Roland is more likely to get you an exception.

I would agree with The Vorpal Tribble's view on things, that if the creator is still around it doesn't seem that harmful, but the rule is no, and it's not an unreasonable rule.

ErrantX
2010-04-11, 10:43 AM
Well, ideally a mod or admin will respond to this to tell us for definite, but I was always under the impression that thread necro was sort of... ignored on this side. If I was looking for something specific and found it, and wanted to comment on it because the author was still active here (say I wanted to post on one of the many wonderful creations of the Vorpal Tribble from 2006), I wouldn't think there would be a problem. To be honest, I'd personally be flattered, and hey, it may inspire new conversation on my creation which would inspire more people to view it. What's wrong with that?

-X

arguskos
2010-04-11, 05:09 PM
Well, ideally a mod or admin will respond to this to tell us for definite, but I was always under the impression that thread necro was sort of... ignored on this side. If I was looking for something specific and found it, and wanted to comment on it because the author was still active here (say I wanted to post on one of the many wonderful creations of the Vorpal Tribble from 2006), I wouldn't think there would be a problem. To be honest, I'd personally be flattered, and hey, it may inspire new conversation on my creation which would inspire more people to view it. What's wrong with that?

-X
Roland has been very clear about this: Necromancy is flat-out not permitted, unless you PM a mod and request permission. Here, have a direct quote about the issue: Ta-da! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7930548&postcount=7)

Now, with Homebrew, this is very likely to be granted, but it's not a guarantee, as Roland himself states.

Fiery Diamond
2010-04-11, 06:26 PM
Roland has been very clear about this: Necromancy is flat-out not permitted, unless you PM a mod and request permission. Here, have a direct quote about the issue: Ta-da! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7930548&postcount=7)

Now, with Homebrew, this is very likely to be granted, but it's not a guarantee, as Roland himself states.

I was going to point this out, but you did it for me.

draco_nite
2010-04-11, 08:38 PM
I will come back in four months and necro this thread for sheer irony.

Just you all watch.

DragoonWraith
2010-04-11, 08:49 PM
I will come back in four months and necro this thread for sheer irony.

Just you all watch.
On another forum, there had been a thread in which the last post had been "You can say that again."

The person he'd been talking to necro'd the thread to say it again.

Three years later.

arguskos
2010-04-11, 10:50 PM
On another forum, there had been a thread in which the last post had been "You can say that again."

The person he'd been talking to necro'd the thread to say it again.

Three years later.
That. Is. The. Best. Necro. Possible. :biggrin:

Lord Vukodlak
2010-04-11, 11:51 PM
I think the main issue is someone comes in from a web search, or something and simply doesn't notice the date.

Now if you excuse me, I have to book mark this topic so I can necro it in six months.

lightningcat
2010-04-12, 12:04 AM
At the rate this topic is going, it will still be on the front page in six months.

But yeah, got to watch those dates.

Anarril
2010-04-12, 12:35 AM
I saw that rule a while ago (when someone closed a thread because it was being necro'd) and I still haven't found the reason why gitp forums has this as a rule. Can someone enlighten me? Because I have almost never seen such a rule anywhere else and I could think of several reasons why reviving a thread could be advantageous. Please tell!

arguskos
2010-04-12, 12:37 AM
Anarril, we have a Board Issues section for a reason. Go here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148486), and be enlightened. :smallamused:

Anarril
2010-04-12, 12:50 AM
Anarril, we have a Board Issues section for a reason. Go here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148486), and be enlightened. :smallamused:
Ah, well, to my defense: I tried looking up the forum rules and reading the post you linked to earlier before I replied :smallsmile:. Can't say I agree with all the reasons but now I at least know them. Thanks!

Anonymouswizard
2010-04-12, 04:40 AM
I think the main issue is someone comes in from a web search, or something and simply doesn't notice the date.

Now if you excuse me, I have to book mark this topic so I can necro it in six months.

Make sure you PM Rolland first to ask for permission to necro the thread :smallbiggrin:

Lappy9000
2010-04-12, 08:29 AM
I've been putting this little tag in some of my old homebrew in the hopes or preventing Threadomancy:

Ed. Note: Why are you looking at this cluttered, broken old thing!? There's a snazzy new version here: [link (ThisWouldBeAGreatLinkDon'tYouThink?)]

If you'd like some more info on this creation, why not send me a Private Message (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=31029)?

Thanks for the read, but please don't commit threadomancy!

-Cheers,
Lappy9000
Granted, most homebrews don't have an updated version, but you get the idea.

DracoDei
2010-04-12, 09:13 AM
Well, I would add in "or have suggestions", but that works... of course getting EVERYONE to edit ALL their old threads like that would be a practical impossiblity, so the original point still stands as well.

Roland St. Jude
2010-04-12, 11:19 AM
From what I've seen, the rules regarding necromancy are no looser in the Homebrew forum than anywhere else. It's just that PMing Roland is more likely to get you an exception.

This is the correct answer.

gooddragon1
2010-04-12, 12:03 PM
So, is thread necromancy prohibited because it taxes the forums or is it because it is a cheap way of gaining post count? Or something else?

DragoonWraith
2010-04-12, 12:52 PM
That. Is. The. Best. Necro. Possible. :biggrin:
The reaction was priceless. Someone was like "do you like, wake up in the morning thinking 'I know! Today is the day I'll say that again!'?"

arguskos
2010-04-12, 03:22 PM
gooddragon1, six posts above you is the above. Please, read and be enlightened. :smallwink: