PDA

View Full Version : going to work

Froogleyboy
2010-04-11, 07:57 AM
In an hour and a half, I will be going to my first day of work. I'm so excited, yet a bit nervous. I'll be busing tables for Sunday lunch at my mom's friends restaurant, and I get 6 dollars an hour and 10% of the waitresses' tips

Lioness
2010-04-11, 08:02 AM
Congratulations. Good luck. Don't stuff up.

^^

308HTR
2010-04-11, 12:03 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of denigrating your individuality for money. I wish for you the wisdom of Athena, the speed of Apollo and the awesomeness of Cthulhu in your day's trials. Now, release the Kraken!

Froogleyboy
2010-04-11, 03:45 PM
Well, I got just back, and I got $17 in tips :)

CrimsonAngel
2010-04-11, 03:51 PM
Go wild.

Maybe one day you'll have something to put on NotAlwaysRight.com/

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-11, 03:58 PM
My first job was at a feed store. Carted 50 lbs bags of feed, punched sacks to loosen the clumps, swept, and fed the chicks.

Hazkali
2010-04-11, 04:40 PM
I remember my first job, working in a Fish and Chips Shop. Hot, greasy, fatty, smelly work, but it paid for one of the best experiences of my life (an expedition to Bolivia) and the owner was fair so I remember it fondly.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-04-11, 04:51 PM
17 bucks in tips for bussing? Damn, nice!

Danne
2010-04-11, 04:57 PM
Congrats on getting your first job. :)

Mine was working at a rock gym, running birthday parties for the kiddies. Which could be either a lot of fun or really, really boring and/or stressful, depending on the kids. And I usually made more in tips than I would get in my paycheck, which always cracked me up. :smallamused:

Starscream
2010-04-11, 05:30 PM
My first job was taking groceries out to cars. In the middle of winter. In northern Ohio. Fun times.

I did gets tips, though. And oddly enough, gloves. I guess I looked really cold, because people kept giving me gloves. On three separate occasions. Strange.

Eldan
2010-04-11, 05:41 PM
First (and so far only) paying job I had? Packing meet during the holidays for 600 a week. Damn was that boring. And cold.

Winter_Wolf
2010-04-11, 06:08 PM
Not bad money for the work you're doing, Froogleyboy, not bad.

I remember my first job. Working on my dad's fishing boat during salmon season in Nushagak Bay. Hate commercial fishing to this day, and don't much care for rod n' reel fishin' neither. One good thing did come of it though: I can sleep just about anywhere. [/crotchety old coot]

Syka
2010-04-11, 06:22 PM
I still miss my first job at Movie Gallery. We were a small store, so it was frequently me working alone and that was fun. We had a lot of leeway, it wasn't near as strict as Walgreen's is. Plus we got to know our customers way more and could recommend new releases; far less tourists than at my current job.

I STILL run in to old regulars from that store, despite not having worked there in about 2.5 years and it being closed for 2.

Hope you enjoy the job. :smallsmile:

Krade
2010-04-11, 06:29 PM
First (and so far only) paying job I had? Packing meet during the holidays for 600 a week. Damn was that boring. And cold.

I'm going to assume "600 a week" is not that much in Zurich. 600(dollars) a week here is over twice what I make now (~$250/wk).

First job I had was through this school program for employment training the summer before I went to high school. I worked at the Public Works garage where the cities cop cars/ambulances/etc get serviced. Expensive and dangerous machinery. Great place for a 14 year old. I'm surprised I never hurt myself. The pay was pretty decent for a first job: $6.50/hr or so. Not bad. Paid for some nice things (my first PS2).

Eldan
2010-04-11, 07:01 PM
It wasn't in Zurich, actually, different canton and out in the country, where the costs are much lower. Since the swiss franc is at around the same value as the dollar, yes, that would be around 600 franks for an 8 hours/day, 5 days/week. Makes 15/hour right? (Too tired to calculate properly). It was a little higher than usual for untrained work, yes, but I diidn't complain.

SensFan
2010-04-11, 07:50 PM
I'm going to assume "600 a week" is not that much in Zurich. 600(dollars) a week here is over twice what I make now (~$250/wk).
Is that full-time (40h weeks)? Here, minimum wage is 10$/hour, which comes out to 400/week for full time jobs.

RationalGoblin
2010-04-11, 08:20 PM
My first job was at a feed store. Carted 50 lbs bags of feed, punched sacks to loosen the clumps, swept, and fed the chicks.

So would you say... you picked up some chicks on the job? :smalltongue:

amuletts
2010-04-11, 08:28 PM
My first paid job was in a Supermarket. I was a checkout girl and scanned peoples items so fast I got told off. They said 'But the customer doesn't have time to pack up their shopping,' and I said 'that's okay 'cos I pack it for them too!' But after a while I realised why they *really* didn't want me to go so fast. It was making the other checkout peeps look bad. I had a huge queue at my til whilst the others were empty because customers were betting I'd *still* be quicker! Anyway, they eventually took me off the tils and put me on the cigarette kiosque. I hate smoking, so it was horrible handing out packs to people, especially those who came in for 100 on an almost daily basis. Just remember, do what the boss tells you, even if it doesn't make sense.

Raiki
2010-04-11, 09:14 PM
I still have fond memories of my first job. I worked at the local skating rink. That was easily the best job I've ever had. Got paid six bucks an hour just to do something I did on most of my friday and saturday nights anyway. I got to pick out all the music, and when we did games I got to be the cool guy in the middle of the rink telling everyone what to do.

I miss that job. I also miss being able to roller skate that much, my speed-skating times would probably suck now.
[/glory days]

Well, anyway, good luck Froog.

~R~

Force
2010-04-11, 09:21 PM
Hehe... my first paying job was working for someone who became a very good friend of mine. I was an extra pair of hands in his workshop. The first year I was a very unskilled pair of hands, but year after year of working for him and suddenly I have a lot more proficiency with tools. Electrical, plumbing, and major mechanical still scare me but not much else does. He was going to teach me welding this summer, but, alas, that will never happen...

ondonaflash
2010-04-11, 09:30 PM
Oooo, my first job was as a camp counselor at a summer camp. The wage was about 200 a week, I only worked six weeks out of the year, had to live on site, and did some really, really backbreaking work, but god damn, that was the most fun job I've ever had. Welcome to the work force, a few tips:

Be the first person to volunteer for the ****ty jobs, be the last person to complain, always do the hardest work with a smile and a laugh, and be aware that while everybody may not say anything, they will definitely notice.

SensFan
2010-04-11, 09:33 PM
Oooo, my first job was as a camp counselor at a summer camp. The wage was about 200 a week, I only worked six weeks out of the year, had to live on site, and did some really, really backbreaking work, but god damn, that was the most fun job I've ever had.
Sounds remarkably like my first job. Camp Opemikon.

ondonaflash
2010-04-11, 09:34 PM
Sounds remarkably like my first job. Camp Opemikon.

Camp June Norcross Webster. I imagine all summer camp work is similar, but Webster is also a boy scout camp (Life Scout in the Hizzouse!).

ForzaFiori
2010-04-11, 09:59 PM
My first job (and the only job i've had.) was at a local TV and Appliances store that my step-dad works at. worked for minimum wage in the heat of the summer wiring up rich people's houses (IE, no AC, but 100 degree heat) Then coming back afterwards to put in the TVs and stuff. HORRIBLE job. Didn't make much money, very labor intensive, and I wound up with so many minor injuries it wasn't funny. But hey, cash is cash, and everyone needs more of it.

Krade
2010-04-11, 10:08 PM
Is that full-time (40h weeks)? Here, minimum wage is 10$/hour, which comes out to 400/week for full time jobs.

Yes. That is full-time. It's a little more than $250, but yeah. And where the hell is minimum $10/hr? Minimum here is $7.25/hr.

Edit: My "$250/wk" is after taxes, which are, after everything's taken out, about 20%.

308HTR
2010-04-11, 10:14 PM
My first job was shoveling crap in a stable. The hours were good, noon to six. The pay was decent $500 in cash every week. The only down side was only having horses to interact with and the water came from a rusty pump. Oh yeah and smelling like horse dung was kind of a buzzkill. It sure as heck beats my current job, selling wine and spirits in a store in the suburbs of a major urban area.

kick to the shin > getting robbed.

SensFan
2010-04-11, 10:20 PM
Yes. That is full-time. It's a little more than $250, but yeah. And where the hell is minimum $10/hr? Minimum here is $7.25/hr.

Edit: My "$250/wk" is after taxes, which are, after everything's taken out, about 20%.
Canada. Ontario, specifically. Not sure about the other provinces. As a student, I've been able to fully recover my income taxes every year.

@ ondonaflash: OPE's also a Scout camp. So many great memories.

Amiel
2010-04-12, 01:01 AM
Some of the more menial jobs actually pay a hell of a lot; someone I used to know got 30 an hour just to fold boxes. Bastard. It was one of those cushy jobs as well, there was no specific quota to fulfill.

For now you are a mere slave monkey, eventually you may rise to become a wage monkey. Enjoy your labour.

First job I had was as a teacher aide for a high school, admittedly it was part of work experience, but still.