PDA

View Full Version : Can enemies be made into Believers?

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-11, 09:51 AM
Obviously this needs the DM's agreement, but imagine if you will a Thrallherd with a fully stocked harem is engaged in battle in the middle of nowhere (generic dungeon #15392 for example). In this instance the enemy is a platoon of low-level minions of the BBEG.

If any of his Believers are killed he automatically sends out a subconscious call for new ones. Now he is a long way from anywhere, or anyone except the enemy minions. Since the Thrallherd's ability draws the nearest people it can until he is fully stocked again, would it be reasonable to assume that at least some of those empty Believer spots would be filled by enemies, assuming they were of the correct level?

Could a particularly Evil Thrallherd order his Believers to kill themselves so that he could enslave some of the enemies, weakening their forces?

Just a thought I had.

K-B

JeminiZero
2010-04-11, 10:04 AM
The text merely states that lost thralls and believers are replaced within 24 hours. It doesn't specify that the closest respond.

So even if you are out in the middle of nowhere. There might be coincidentally a passing merchant caravan that supplies you with new believers, everytime you need them, rather than coming from enemy ranks. :smalltongue:

elonin
2010-04-11, 10:11 AM
I'm not sure. The ability does grant followers but probably brings the first ones that fail their will save. Some might turn to you but others will be die hard followers of the first guy. On a slightly different take with a good enough diplomacy roll you can switch someone from fanatic against to a fanatic for. So I'm guessing that with enough time that might work depending on how against you they are and how they are being treated. For example a dragon who is keeping goblins who were raised into it's care would have that leader ingrained at least more so than someone who is just a mercenary.

Another interesting thought. What if the BBEG was also a thrallherd? In this scenario each is competing over the same limited group of followers. Would there be opposed checks to see who controls which part of the crowd?

Choco
2010-04-11, 11:23 AM
The text merely states that lost thralls and believers are replaced within 24 hours. It doesn't specify that the closest respond.

It also does not specify that they will be in your presence when they are replaced. They can be on the other side of the plane and you just become aware you got a new follower there :smallamused:

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-11, 12:12 PM
The text merely states that lost thralls and believers are replaced within 24 hours. It doesn't specify that the closest respond. ...

Ah, crud. Well in that case I retract my question, I was under the impression they came nearest first.

Thanks guys.

The Glyphstone
2010-04-11, 12:45 PM
Now there's a nasty thing to do to a Thrallherd - make it so any new believers he gets can only come from people who are imprisoned and/or crippled.