PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Cloistered Cleric Seeks Explosive Runes Without Domain Loss

balistafreak
2010-04-11, 01:30 PM
The title says it all.

A Cloistered Cleric wants to know Explosive Runes.

The problem is that almost every single way carries a ton of unneeded baggage with it. The only ways I can find are taking a domain with Explosive Runes on it (yes, these domains exist) or using the alternate class feature to sacrifice a domain to know a limited selection of arcane spells... which is basically like taking a domain. Anyspell can't do it because it's a 3rd level arcane spell, and Great Anyspell is a bloody waste.

Is there any way to simply throw Explosive Runes onto the list without the domain? Something like "Feat: Know this spell"?

Claudius Maximus
2010-04-11, 01:34 PM
You could always pick up an extra domain with a class like Contemplative, though this doesn't work at lower levels.

Some people believe that the feat Extra Spell can grant out-of-list spells. See if your DM is one of these people. IIRC there was a FAQ response that said no to this, but it's not clear by RAW.

Eurus
2010-04-11, 02:00 PM
Spending a feat to get Explosive Runes isn't exactly unbalanced anyway, unless you're trying to build yourself a book-nuke.

balistafreak
2010-04-11, 02:02 PM
It seems I've found a more creative solution - take a class that gives you an Extra Domain that you had, namely the Travel domain from Seeker of the Misty Isle from Complete Divine (pg 61).

Proceed to use the now-free Domain slot for the ACF of extra arcane spells. It's a bit of a waste, but it's the only solution I can find for now.

If someone can find a more elegant solution, I'm all for it.

As for the book-nuke... well, sort-of-kind-of-not-quite-but-possibly.

The idea is more of paranoia. Someone who writes EVERYTHING important in nothing but Explosive Runes. Journal? Explosive Runes. Directions to not die to some other trap? Explosive Runes. Random sign somewhere important? Explosive Runes.

While we're on the topic of Explosive Runes, is there any way to trigger them offensively? I'm aware of the whole "fail your dispel" trick, but I'm thinking more of a "time bomb" concept.

Zovc
2010-04-11, 02:03 PM
Isn't there a feat that lets spellcasters add spells to their spells known, or is that only for spontaneous/arcane casters?

Kylarra
2010-04-11, 02:05 PM
You can always do spell research per the guidelines in DMG. Of course that requires time, money and DM approval. :smalltongue:

Sliver
2010-04-11, 02:11 PM
You can always do spell research per the guidelines in DMG. Of course that requires time, money and DM approval. :smalltongue:

You will probably want to research for a weaker but same level version of the spell, or same power but higher level of it... The DMG says that wizards are those with the flashy blasty powers so showing that it's weaker on your cleric's list might get higher chances of being approved. If he cares, anyway.

Ranos
2010-04-11, 02:15 PM
Get some cross-class UMD ranks and an eternal wand. You'll have to retry a few times before you can get it to work and sometimes it'll just shut down for the day, but it should be perfectly fine for a spell like that.

LibraryOgre
2010-04-11, 02:19 PM
Well, what domains do you have? If you have Magic, just get a wand of Explosive Runes (for bonus points, have it look like a pen)... you can use spell trigger items without a problem. Otherwise, UMD is probably your best bet, or you might ask your DM if "when read" is an acceptable condition for a Glyph of Warding. Same 3rd level, just a touch less blasty.

Lycanthromancer
2010-04-11, 02:19 PM
The magic domain does grant the ability to use spell-completion items for arcane spells, meaning you can use that eternal wand with no problems.

There are a lot of nice spells in that domain as well.

[edit] Golly-gosh gee wilikers, I got ninja'd.

Vizzerdrix
2010-04-11, 03:24 PM
What about a Drake Helm? Or are they only for Arcane casters?

Starbuck_II
2010-04-11, 03:29 PM
You will probably want to research for a weaker but same level version of the spell, or same power but higher level of it... The DMG says that wizards are those with the flashy blasty powers so showing that it's weaker on your cleric's list might get higher chances of being approved. If he cares, anyway.

Explosive runes is force so making it fire based version of same level would be weaker.