PDA

View Full Version : Starting Credits (SWSE)

Half-Full
2010-04-11, 03:52 PM
So, I'm starting up a campaign set in the Knights of the Old Republic era, where the players will start at 8th level. However, I just realised that I have no idea how to calculate how much starting credits they should be awarded with. And as far as I know, there's no WBL table.

So, could someone be a nice chap and give me some guide-lines? Much appreciated. :smallsmile:

Mythestopheles
2010-04-11, 03:59 PM
I may be wrong, but I don't think SWSE is very wealth driven. Lemme see... Check out page 248 of the core rulebook. Under Other Rewards there are some guidelines.

The Glyphstone
2010-04-11, 04:00 PM
I thought Saga used Wealth like d20 Modern...

Also, I was hoping this thread would be about starting credits before a SW movie, like in the 'scrolling text down the screen' sense, and how to replicate that for a game.:smallwink:

Mythestopheles
2010-04-11, 04:01 PM
Also, I was hoping this thread would be about starting credits before a SW movie, like in the 'scrolling text down the screen' sense, and how to replicate that for a game.:smallwink:

Ok, it would be pretty awesome if there was a site or somesuch that turns text into that style.

Half-Full
2010-04-11, 04:03 PM
I may be wrong, but I don't think SWSE is very wealth driven. Lemme see... Check out page 248 of the core rulebook. Under Other Rewards there are some guidelines.

You're right. I'll figure out some number, not too big, not too small.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry to disappoint. :smallwink:

pffh
2010-04-11, 06:07 PM
I thought Saga used Wealth like d20 Modern...

That would be awesome. Hmmm so any ideas on how we can replicate it for a game?

KillianHawkeye
2010-04-13, 09:41 PM
Just let them have some basic equipment (nothing too extravagant, definitely nothing customized or modded) and maybe a low-end space transport. If they want more than that, they have to earn it.

Mad Wizard
2010-04-13, 10:40 PM
From the official FAQ (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/19437134/Official_FAQ_Compilation_Thread):

"Q: What are the starting credits for a character above 1st level?

A: As a very loose guideline, your wealth at any given level should be something like this: (level x [level -1]) x 2,000 credits*

* Double this for a noble with the Wealth talent.

This basically assumes that roughly 60% of your total income is spent on upkeep, paying rent, buying food, paying taxes, repairing equipment, getting medical care, etc. (This is a much higher rate than in D&D, where you'd only be expected to "burn" about 10% -- but D&D doesn't have an Imperial Revenue Service.)

For example, at 16th level, it should be somewhere around half a million credits.

The reason I say this is a very loose guideline, though, is that at least half of this wealth would tend to be in a non-liquid form (e.g. property, intangibles such as favors and allies, etc.). As a very rough guideline, having someone owe you a favor (i.e. one-time intervention on your behalf, not to exceed one encounter) is worth about 2,000 x CL; having a long-term ally (i.e. someone who will help you out any time they are available) is worth about 40,000 x CL x (% chance that they're available)."

Personally, I've found this to be quite a bit of cash.

Binks
2010-04-13, 10:46 PM
Mad's got it right, though for decently high level games I tend to just go with a 'whatever you want within reason' limit since the amount of wealth a PC should have becomes so obscene.

Saga's a funny game when it comes to equipment...there's not really all that much to buy. No magic weapons/armor and, excluding ships/vehicles, it's hard to spend more than 10-20K on a character...which is the wealth you get around level 3-4 by the guidelines.

I've played three saga characters who have ended up with obscene amounts of credits through various methods (one has wealth and the GM let us find a smuggler's cache...so he's sitting on 200K right now, the other ended up getting 100K as a cut from a gambling tournament). Neither's spent more than 30000K of it, and one was basically buying gifts for the other characters (gifts in the 2-3K range) and still has 200K in the bank.

Wealth isn't all that important in saga so the guideline, while it gives a ton of credits, isn't game breaking.