PDA

View Full Version : Frost Wizard

jguy
2010-04-11, 04:25 PM
I wrote up a Frost Mage who specializes in cold magic and taking down the surrounding temperature to below negatives. I've figured out a way to keep the temperature down for a long time but there is something I haven't; How to keep snow regularly on hand.

On of my feats, Snow Casting, allows me to use a handful for snow as a material component as part of my spells to turn them to Cold and increase the caster level if already cold. Is there a magical item or perhaps someway I can keep a bunch of snow on me without carrying an ice chest full of it around all the time? Best I could think of is a bag of holding just filled with snow but I know my DM will rule that the snow would melt inside

Starbuck_II
2010-04-11, 04:27 PM
I wrote up a Frost Mage who specializes in cold magic and taking down the surrounding temperature to below negatives. I've figured out a way to keep the temperature down for a long time but there is something I haven't; How to keep snow regularly on hand.

On of my feats, Snow Casting, allows me to use a handful for snow as a material component as part of my spells to turn them to Cold and increase the caster level if already cold. Is there a magical item or perhaps someway I can keep a bunch of snow on me without carrying an ice chest full of it around all the time? Best I could think of is a bag of holding just filled with snow but I know my DM will rule that the snow would melt inside

Eschew materials? Snow has no cost.

Touchy
2010-04-11, 04:30 PM
Eschew materials? Snow has no cost.

Except in an exotic location, like a place to hot to support snow normally.

HunterOfJello
2010-04-11, 04:30 PM
You might want to check out the Sandshaper prestige class and modify it for snow or ice.

There is a Frost Mage prestige class but it only gets a few summoning spells, natural armor and cold resistance. There are some spells in Frostburn that you might be interested in though.

magic9mushroom
2010-04-11, 04:32 PM
Bag of holding with an item that lowers the temperature?

jguy
2010-04-11, 04:41 PM
I did take Frost Mage because it fit thematically and there are a lot of spells I am taking from Frostburn (Control temperature being the spell that brings down the temperature around me to below freezing all the time). The Piercing Cold class feature from Frost Mage also lets me get around magical item resistance and spells. I have a DM who would probably give all the creatures we fought this kind of protection if I abused the cold so much.

Is there any sort of "magical" cooler?

erikun
2010-04-11, 04:43 PM
Blue Ice keeps the surrounding area below freezing. Get a bag of holding or "pouch of holding" with some Blue Ice inside, and you can just add water to keep making fresh ice.

Enchew Materials + Snowcasting could theoretically work, but check with your DM about it. Some won't mind the boost you get, especially in exchange for spending two feats, while others may find it abusing the system.

Blue Ice is from Frostburn (or "It's Cold Outside"), the same place as Snowcasting.

jguy
2010-04-11, 04:52 PM
Blue Ice would work pretty well, so thanks there. Any other ideas in case I am unable to find some Blue Ice?

erikun
2010-04-11, 04:59 PM
Honestly, I had no problem asking my DM to give me a what was basically a magically refrigerated pouch. It's still a move action to retrieve enough ice to Snowcast, so even an infinite supply of ice isn't considerably stronger.

You can also try making a permanent Prestidigitation to keep something (such as the contents of a pouch) constantly cool enough to freeze.

Nidogg
2010-04-11, 05:14 PM
Permancy+ Freezing sphere? or are we talking non xp comonents?

aivanther
2010-04-11, 05:43 PM
Rod of Frost + Replenishing Skin?

Honestly, you could pay for a waterskin to have a cold spell on it continuously. See SRD: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm

Type:Use-activated or continuous
Cost:Spell level × caster level × 2,000 gp
Example: Lantern of revealing

jguy
2010-04-11, 07:41 PM
Oh, cool, I've been looking for the table for making items. A bag of holding with a permanent prestidigitation for below freezing would cost about 4000g if I do my math right? (since it costs 1.5 times more to add a magical ability to an item)

DementedFellow
2010-04-12, 01:10 AM
You might want to check out the Sandshaper prestige class and modify it for snow or ice.

OR use the Sandshaper's "Sand Shape" ability to create snow.

You can create any solid object you can imagine, provided you have access to a sufficient quantity of the appropriate soil and you can successfully make a caster level check

If your DM doesn't want to say that snow is solid, then say you're creating permafrost, or ice.

Not only that, but sandstorm has a Bottle of Endless Sand. There you go. You don't have to worry about melting your snow/ice.

Person_Man
2010-04-12, 09:43 AM
Control Weather (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/Controlweather.htm) will let you bring about a snow storm if it happens to be winter where you are.

Lysander
2010-04-12, 09:48 AM
Get your DM to agree that Ray of Frost can freeze a small amount of water into a lump of ice. Then get him to agree that shaved ice (scraped off with a dagger) is just as good as snow for the purposes of your spells.

lord_khaine
2010-04-12, 09:54 AM
There is a magic item from Frostburn that gives a more or less unlimited supply of snow as i recall.

SSGoW
2010-04-12, 10:32 AM
You do know that if the tempature is below freezing than any "snow" you may have will turn to ice. To have snow it has to be above freezing (not counting wind chill sometimes) so you can't have both ^ ^

Hurlbut
2010-04-12, 11:12 AM
It's still snow, just snow that's a bit more frozen. To make it really "sheety" or "blocky" ice and not just snow, you need it to be compressed (ala glacier) or melted first then refreeze.

jguy
2010-04-12, 12:06 PM
I am sure I can either come up with something or just get a Bag of Endless Snow made. If my DM is a real twit about it I will find more roundabout ways to getting my snow even it involves an animated Frosty the Snowman of Death

Sinfire Titan
2010-04-12, 12:10 PM
OR use the Sandshaper's "Sand Shape" ability to create snow.

Yes people, this does work. As does regular Shapesand.

~LuckyBoneDice~
2010-04-12, 01:54 PM
Lemmie insert a few tricks:

Arcane Discipline: Winter

Be a Cold Domain Wizard with a 1 level dip into Sorcerer

Be a Silverbrow Human

Take Winter's Grasp, Dragonic Power (Silver or White), Energy Substitution (Cold), and Piercing Cold

Become a Frostmage

voila! LOTS of cold damage

DementedFellow
2010-04-12, 04:35 PM
Yes people, this does work. As does regular Shapesand.

I feel smart. I was just being a jackass with my post. Vindication is an odd feeling.:smallcool:

Shiva asori
2010-04-12, 04:50 PM
Don't forget the cold snap spell in the SpC for a few more damage.

And learn flesh to ice, which is better then flesh to stone just because it isn't as common and therefor it's counter isn't as common as well.

erikun
2010-04-12, 04:58 PM
Just a quick note: Unlike Flesh to Stone, the spell Flesh to Ice can be reversed with Break Enchantment. It's one of the downsides to getting it one spell level early.

Shiva asori
2010-04-12, 05:03 PM
that maybe true, but with a casting time of 1 minute they won't be casting it in combat.

Besides, ice statues are easier to break if need be.

Lysander
2010-04-12, 07:45 PM
You could also research a cantrip to turn water into snow.

DementedFellow
2010-04-12, 09:17 PM
You could also research a cantrip to turn water into snow.

Wouldn't prestidigitation be able to do that since it can pull water droplets from the air and collect it into miniature rain?