PDA

View Full Version : Alchemists' Fire and Morale Bonuses (3.5)

ArcanistSupreme
2010-04-11, 04:40 PM
In a game I am currently running, one of the players blindly through a flask of alchemists' fire while his bard friend was inspiring courage. All of the other party members were hit in addition to the baddie. We were wondering if the bonus to damage would apply in this case. On the one hand, Inspire Courage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/bard.htm#inspireCourage) reads as follows:

Inspire Courage (Su)
A bard with 3 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use song or poetics to inspire courage in his allies (including himself), bolstering them against fear and improving their combat abilities. To be affected, an ally must be able to hear the bard sing. The effect lasts for as long as the ally hears the bard sing and for 5 rounds thereafter. An affected ally receives a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls. At 8th level, and every six bard levels thereafter, this bonus increases by 1 (+2 at 8th, +3 at 14th, and +4 at 20th). Inspire courage is a mind-affecting ability.
(Emphasis mine)

And, as alchemists' fire is a splash weapon, by RAW it appears that the bonus should apply. However, it also seems silly that because the guy throwing the alchemists' fire is inspired the chemicals should react more fiercely, burn hotter, or hit more of the people in the area.

What is the best way to approach this?

Volthawk
2010-04-11, 04:51 PM
Maybe he threw it more effectively, or something...

Caphi
2010-04-11, 05:21 PM
The fire burns hotter because of the fiercely burning passion in the alchemist's soul!

Mythestopheles
2010-04-11, 05:23 PM
It specifies Damage Rolls so I would say no. (for the splash damage that is.)

Yukitsu
2010-04-11, 05:24 PM
Why would a crossbow bolt hit harder just because some dude is singing?

You could alway just say you hit them in a deadlier spot I supposed, but really it's an SU ability so it's best not to dwell on it too much.

strider24seven
2010-04-11, 06:26 PM
Why would a crossbow bolt hit harder just because some dude is singing?

You could alway just say you hit them in a deadlier spot I supposed, but really it's an SU ability so it's best not to dwell on it too much.

Hitting them in the head hits harder than hitting them in the hand.:smallamused:

ArcanistSupreme
2010-04-11, 08:53 PM
Cool, thanks guys. I might even use the "passionately burning soul" line.

Sophismata
2010-04-11, 08:57 PM
The splash damage is not a damage roll, so the morale bonus does not apply.

It does count in the case of the target, though.

strider24seven
2010-04-12, 04:48 PM
The splash damage is not a damage roll, so the morale bonus does not apply.

It does count in the case of the target, though.

+1 for this.