PDA

View Full Version : Sand Mandala (Buddhism Question)

Danne
2010-04-11, 05:16 PM
So my school just finished hosting a pair of Tibetan monks while they created a sand mandala (Avalokiteshvara's) in our library. It was pretty nifty to watch, especially the way they put down the sand. It went into these hollow tubes, tapered at one end to control the flow. The tubes had a series of ridges along one side, and the monks ran a stick up and down the ridges, creating vibrations that knocked the sand from the tubes. And the colors were so bright!

I got back from the dissolution ceremony a little while ago, taking the mandala down to the river. A fascinating experience. (In short, my school is awesome. :smallcool:)

I did have one question: after sweeping up the sand, the monks tossed rice down onto the table and floor where they'd been working. I asked one of the monks about the significance of this later, but he didn't really have the English to fully explain. (Though his English > my Tibetan by a lot!) He did make an analogy to "deities throwing down flowers," and Google says something about rice symbolizing wealth, but I wondered if there was anyone here who could tell me more.

Serpentine
2010-04-11, 10:19 PM
I would make a totally uneducated guess that it was something about purification or moving on our somesuch, but that's a pretty generic explanation. I'd like to see one of these things sometime...

>caution: shameless shamelessness ahead<
"Similar to mandalas" is the closest I've gotten to a label that fits what these things that I make are:
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs26/i/2008/104/5/1/Snake_nest_by_Serpentine16.jpg

Danne
2010-04-12, 08:25 AM
>caution: shameless shamelessness ahead<
"Similar to mandalas" is the closest I've gotten to a label that fits what these things that I make are:
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs26/i/2008/104/5/1/Snake_nest_by_Serpentine16.jpg

That does look fairly similar to the mandalas. What type of media is it? Looks like string or cloth?

Serpentine
2010-04-12, 10:03 AM
That would be pretty cool. It's actually just white gel pen on black card. I have a couple of others, but I think that's the best one I have online. I've painted one, I think it looks pretty good =3

Danne
2010-04-12, 05:06 PM
That's still pretty neat. I love gel pens. :smallsmile:

Just a random doodle, or did you base it off of anything?

Serpentine
2010-04-13, 12:51 AM
The one I posted? Put it this way: It's called "Snake Nest".

wadledo
2010-04-13, 10:19 AM
I'm not an expert, but from what I remember it's supposed to symbolize purification.
Rice is often considered an absorbing force, so it soaks up the particular 'thing' they are trying to get rid of after they created the mandala, depending heavily on what specific doctrine they follow.

Though its been a while since I looked into it, so take my words with a grain of salt.

Danne
2010-04-13, 03:42 PM
Interesting. Any idea what they might have been trying to purify?