PDA

View Full Version : The Shadowdancer [3.5]

Temotei
2010-04-11, 10:14 PM
What could be improved on in the class most? Do you have any particular house rules for the class? Are there any fixes/erratas out there?

herrhauptmann
2010-04-11, 10:21 PM
Make the shadows you create a little more useful in some way.
Either easier entry requirements, or better benefits in the class.
Especially later in the class, so it doesn't become a 2 level dip.

Ashiel
2010-04-11, 10:39 PM
'Nix the XP drain that the shadow inflicts on the shadowdancer if it dies or is dismissed. It's a stupid rule and serves little purpose. While you're at it; feel free to kill the XP penalty for familiars too.

Consider bumping their will saves to match their reflex saves.

Consider giving them another shadow each time they would improve their existing shadow (gaining a total of 3 shadows by 9th level).

Make shadow-illusion an at-will spell-like ability instead of a 1/day spell-like ability. Seriously, at that level, a 1/day silent image is a joke. This would at least allow you to play around with it.

Their main problem is they lack anything revolving around offense, and very little utility; and most of their defensive perks are actually already available through other classes or simply more levels in Rogue (which also advances sneak attack and has more skills and such).

Consider granting them a touch attack that functions as chill touch as a (Su) ability. Make the save DC against the strength damage 10 + shadowdancer level + charisma modifier. This grants them a melee-touch attack which combos well with Rogue naturally; has a nice little debuff with a decent save DC; makes them more like Shadows (who deal strength damage with each touch); and actually gives them something to do vs Undead (since they could cause them to be panicked for 1d4+X rounds).

Consider making their shadow jump power function much closer to dimension door than is specified. Honestly; they get a more limited crappy version of dimension door at a level where wizardly-folk can poop that spell out on command; and they shadow-dancers can't even travel as far or as often with it. At the very least, increase the rage OR make it usable at its specified distance once every 5-rounds (sort of like Binders).

Food for thought.

arguskos
2010-04-11, 10:40 PM
Give them Shadow Pounce, ala Teflammar Shadowlord. It'd help the offense something hardcore.

Also, if this is for what I think it is... we better get to use it too. :smallamused:

Thurbane
2010-04-11, 10:41 PM
The Pathfinder version gets a few boosts (maybe not enough, though).

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/shadowdancer

Temotei
2010-04-11, 10:43 PM
Give them Shadow Pounce, ala Teflammar Shadowlord. It'd help the offense something hardcore.

Also, if this is for what I think it is... we better get to use it too. :smallamused:

Yep. Ms. Savannah (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8242383&postcount=58) asked if shadowdancer was okay. :smalltongue:

arguskos
2010-04-11, 10:44 PM
Given the party so far, I reaaaaally don't think the Shadowdancer needs more aid. :smallwink:

Maybe add Shadow Pounce, to make Rogue-entry Shadowdancers happy. That seems like a good thing, since you can never have too much Shadow Pounce! :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2010-04-11, 11:45 PM
Take away the shadow, which is kinda dumb, and give SA on levels 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9.

QuantumSteve
2010-04-12, 01:54 AM
The name (and artwork) for the Shadowdancer makes me think of and acrobatic rogue that can disappear and flit between shadows like magic. Somehow, to me, summoning undead doesn't really seem to fit that theme. Also, PrCs should get their signature ability at first or second level and improve from there. (You already have to wait several levels just to enter anyway.)

Shadow Jump needs a boost, Shadow Pounce sounds interesting and might be balanced, 3 or so levels of SA would help too (more a rogue thing than a shadow thing), An ability to gain partial concealment in shadows for a few rounds per day might be good too.

Frosty
2010-04-12, 02:17 AM
I think it needs to be given access to Shadow Hand maneuvers, and get Sneak Attack progression.

raitalin
2010-04-12, 03:12 AM
I dumped the summoned shadows and gave it a limited Shadow Hand maneuver progression from ToB.

Tinydwarfman
2010-04-12, 09:10 PM
Tome Shadowdancer (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Shadowdancer,_Tome_%283.5e_Prestige_Class%29). Pure win in my opinon. The only changes I'd make would be to cut Shadow Vanish, move Shadow Walk up to it's place, and then swap the positions of Mirrorshard Blades and Phantasmal Image. Amazingly good fix.