PDA

View Full Version : Why Else Would They Call It Blood Plasma? [3.5e Class, PEACH]

Jack of Spades
2010-04-11, 11:06 PM
Wrought from a conversation I had with my girlfriend, and also the excess of boredom I suffered this afternoon, here's the...

Firevein

Through your studies and experience, you have learned that somewhere, deep inside your blood, is the potential for great power. Some say that it is the power of the gods, trickled down through the ages into the mortal races. Some say that it is pure elemental fire, spilled into the mix when all things were wrought. It took grueling training and discipline, but whatever this strange energy is, you have found it within yourself, and discovered a way to tap into its power. You are one of the few known as a firevein.

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d8
Requirements:
Skills: 16 ranks total in up to two of the following: Concentration, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (psionics), Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), or Survival.
Special: In order to become a firevein, one must undergo a total of 10 hours + 2 hours per character level (previous training makes it harder to gain the mindset necessary to change one’s blood into pure energy through sheer will) worth of grueling physical training and meditation. This does not need to be done all at once, but from the point that the character starts training he takes 10 Constitution damage which cannot be removed until after his training is complete.

Class Skills: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (psionics) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Perform (Cha), Survival (Con).
Skill Points per Level: 4 + Int modifier.

NAME OF CLASS
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Searing blood (1/day)

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Sheltering blood, searing blood (2/day)

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Fiery blood

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Searing blood (3/day)

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Explosive blood

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Glowing blood (shadowy), searing blood (4/day)

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Warding blood

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+2|
+6|Seeking blood, searing blood (5/day)

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+3|
+6|Blinding blood

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+3|
+7|Glowing blood (torch), manifesting blood, searing blood (6/day)[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A firevein does not add any new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Searing Blood (Ex): A firevein can turn his blood into an explosion of energy. This is an Immediate action that may be performed any time the firevein is hit by a melee attack. The firevein must make a Concentration check (DC 10 + amount of damage taken – class level) and loses 1 extra hit point to deal 2d6 per class level (maximum 20d6) + Wisdom modifier + ˝ the amount of damage taken in fire damage to the creature that attacked him with no save. A firevein can use this ability once per day at 1st level, and this number increases with each even-numbered level thereafter.

Sheltering blood (Ex): Beginning at 2nd level, the firevein’s blood courses with enough energy that it is warm to the touch. He and any equipment he is wearing are not harmed in any way by being in a cold environment as long as the temperature is above -50 degrees Fahrenheit (-46 degrees Celsius, if you like). If encased in ice, magical or otherwise, he may melt his way out as a standard action (if less than 50% of his body is covered in ice) or a full round action.

Fiery Blood (Ex): At 3rd level, a firevein may make his blood hot enough to burn the flesh of others. By making a full-round melee touch attack on a target, he may cause an effect identical to the spell Heat Metal in every respect except that for every round during which the firevein maintains physical contact with the metal, except for the first, the metal is considered “Searing” but will not deal damage to the firevein. When the physical contact is broken, the metal will remain “Searing” for 2 more rounds, then will cool as described by the spell.

Explosive Blood (Ex): Starting at 5th level, a firevein’s blood becomes much more volatile and explosive than it was before. When the firevein uses his searing blood ability, he may choose to affect a cone-shaped burst centered on his attacker that extends a distance equal to 10 feet per every 2 class levels (maximum 50 feet). Those affected by the burst may make a reflex check (DC15 + Wisdom modifier) to avoid the blast.

Glowing Blood (Ex): When a firevein reaches 6th level, enough of his blood has been converted into energy that his major blood vessels visibly glow. He gains a penalty to Diplomacy and a bonus to Intimidate, each equal to the firevein’s class level. The firevein is also constantly emitting shadowy illumination out to a 30 foot radius. A firevein’s blood will generally glow a bluish-green color. At 10th level, the firevein's body emits light as a torch.

Warding Blood (Ex): At 7th level, a firevein’s blood flows hot enough that it effectively sterilizes itself. The firevein becomes immune to all forms of disease, magical or otherwise.

Seeking Blood (Ex): A firevein of 8th level or higher has gained more control over where his blood goes when he uses his explosive blood ability. The burst no longer affects allies within its area. In addition, enemies within the cone who succeed in making a reflex save take half damage.

Blinding Blood (Ex): When a firevein has achieved 9th level, his blood is bright enough that when he uses his explosive blood ability, enemies within 20 feet of the burst are blinded for 2d8 rounds.

Manifesting Blood (Sp): At 10th level, a firevein’s gains abilities depending on what knowledge he draws upon in his training as a firevein:
With 15 or more ranks in…

Concentration: The firevein has gained such control over the energy coursing within his body through intense meditation that he may cause a portion of it to cast Sunbeam as a 20th level druid a number of times per day equal to his Wisdom modifier.
Knowledge (arcana): The firevein has tapped into the magical nature of his blood, and add 5d8 fire damage to an attack he makes or damaging spell he casts with a duration of instantaneous a number of times per day equal to his Wisdom modifier.
Knowledge (psionics): The firevein has found that the energy within him is psionic in nature, and may use that energy to form a weapon functioning exactly like a level 1 soulknife's mindblade, except that it is considered a +5 flaming burst weapon.
Knowledge (religion): The firevein sees that his power is a gift from the gods, and may use the energy coursing through him to perform a greater turning as a 20th level sun domain cleric a number of times per day equal to his Wisdom modifier.
Knowledge (the planes): The firevein understands the pure, elemental flame that runs though his veins such that he can embrace it and become one with it. A number of times per day equal to one-half of his Wisdom modifier, he can assume the form of a small, medium, large, or huge fire elemental as per a 20th-level druid's wild shape ability.
Survival: The firevein has found the best way to survive being filled with raging fire by gritting his teeth and adapting to whatever hardship came his way. A number of times equal to one-half of his Wisdom modifier, he may use the psionic power assimilate by exploding into a ball of energy and reforming around the target.

Aaaand that's it. I expect major balance complaints about Manifesting Blood, but that's because it was a (relatively) last-minute idea. But this is also my first submission, so I expect a lot more than that is wrong with it. So go ahead, rep me a new one :smallbiggrin:
Oh, yeah. Gotta find a bunker. :smalleek:

Temotei
2010-04-11, 11:40 PM
Get rid of the Constitution requirement. That just puts off players who rolled badly and don't have access to items raising their Constitution.

Also note that you can take this at 2nd level.

Jack of Spades
2010-04-12, 12:20 AM
Skills: 16 ranks total in up to two of the following: Concentration, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (psionics), Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), or Survival.
Special: In order to become a firevein, one must undergo a total of 10 hours + 2 hours per character level (previous training makes it harder to gain the mindset necessary to change one’s blood into pure energy through sheer will) worth of grueling physical training and meditation. This may be divided up as one wishes, but if his training is broken he takes 10 Constitution damage which cannot be removed until he completes his training.

That should fix it. Silly math :smallredface:

draco_nite
2010-04-12, 12:25 AM
Searing Blood seems to be a bit too good when you can use it at will.
Also, what's with the weird BAB progression?

Zeta Kai
2010-04-12, 12:27 AM
Also note that you can take this at 2nd level.

The way I'm reading the requirements, entry isn't possible until 5th level. Although the skill requirements are so damn confusing, I'm having trouble saying for certain what you need for entry. :smallconfused:

Any chance that could be simplified? :smallannoyed:

Jack of Spades
2010-04-12, 01:34 AM
Also, what's with the weird BAB progression?

I read a table wrong. It's now fixed: direct rip from the PH listing for an "Average" BAB.

The way I'm reading the requirements, entry isn't possible until 5th level. Although the skill requirements are so damn confusing, I'm having trouble saying for certain what you need for entry.

Any chance that could be simplified?

He was right, when first I posted it. That's why I put in the "up to two" bit. As for simplification, I'm open to suggestions. I just couldn't think of a way to state it that didn't rope it into one form of knowledge. What I'm going for with is a set of abilities that could be achieved by people from completely different areas of expertise, reaching the same conclusions from very different data.

Searing Blood seems to be a bit too good when you can use it at will.

I'll sit on this comment for now, but I will admit that it was a concern of mine. I'll likely end up just adding another use per day at level 10.

EDIT: Made manifesting blood spell-like, and removed at-will searing blood. Reworded the part of the requirements concerning constitution damage.

Terazul
2010-04-12, 09:48 AM
I'd still get rid of the constitution requirement. Like really. It really throws people off and is kinda "bwuuuh?".

But let's see here. Gonna start with the capstone, since you think it'll have the most questions.

Concentration: The firevein has gained such control over the energy coursing within his body through intense meditation that he may cause a portion of it to form a Sunbeam a number of times per day equal to his Wisdom modifier.
Do they fire a Sunbeam, or cast Sunbeam as a spell-like ability? If it's the latter, you should indicate a caster level. And save DC.

Knowledge (arcana): The firevein has tapped into the magical nature of his blood, and may Maximize a spell for free a number of times per day equal to his Wisdom modifier by taking 5 points of damage per spell level.
This... doesn't seem all that useful considering you were just in a 10 level class that doesn't advance spellcasting at all.

Knowledge (psionics): The firevein has found that the energy within him is psionic in nature, and may use that energy to regain half his power point total as a swift action a number of times per day equal to his Wisdom modifier.
See note above. Though I'd argue it's quite (incredibly) more powerful than the arcana one, still hard to get use out of it.

Knowledge (religion): The firevein sees that his power is a gift from the gods, and may use the energy coursing through him to perform a greater turning as a 20th level cleric of Pelor a number of times per day equal to his Wisdom modifier.
Well you can turn/destroy some undead now.

Knowledge (the planes): The firevein understands the pure, elemental flame that runs though his veins such that he can embrace it and become one with it. A number of times per day equal to one-half of his Wisdom modifier, he can assume the form of a small, medium, large, or huge fire elemental. The firevein cannot decrease its size category this way (that is, a medium firevein cannot become a small fire elemental, and so on).
...So I could become larger if I wanted to, but not smaller? That's... weird. What happens to my equipment? How long does it last? Do I retain my other abilities while I'm an Elemental? What stats of its do I assume? Lots of stuff here.

Survival: The firevein has found the best way to survive being filled with raging fire by gritting his teeth and adapting to whatever hardship came his way. A number of times equal to one-half of his Wisdom modifier, he may use the psionic power assimilate by exploding into a ball of energy and reforming around the target.
...Ok, a 9th level Power a few times a day, before everyone else gets access. Normally this would be a big "what", but it's only assimilate. I guess. Need a save DC/Manifester Level here.

Overall the class seems kinda... well I don't know what it's supposed to do. Your key class ability comes from getting hit, so it seems like a martial class would be a good entry one... but then you need several knowledges to get in, so bwuh. Other abilities are permanent Endure Elements (well just the cold end, actually), a -10 Diplomacy (ouch) +10 Intimidate (alright), Immunity to Disease (value depends on how often it comes up), and... the ability to be a torch (flavorful! But meh). So yeah, you get alot of neat little things (kudos to no dead levels), but their compilation seems odd, and they don't really work together. And while having retributive blood is neat, most people don't want to get hit in the first place. Awesome if you can survive a full attack, but I'd probably just carry around a knife and center the cone blasts on myself or something. Dunno. I'll let someone else comment on that.

Jack of Spades
2010-04-13, 06:32 PM
Reworked and reworded manifesting blood.

Overall the class seems kinda... well I don't know what it's supposed to do.
So yeah, you get alot of neat little things (kudos to no dead levels), but their compilation seems odd, and they don't really work together. And while having retributive blood is neat, most people don't want to get hit in the first place.
Well, it was kinda just meant to be a bag of tricks of sorts, but I'll definitely think about giving this thing an actual role and abilities to match it.

I'd probably just carry around a knife and center the cone blasts on myself or something. Dunno. I'll let someone else comment on that.
I actually thought of, and enjoyed, the possibility of that.

Lix Lorn
2010-05-16, 08:37 AM
Since the class takes damage to use it's abilities, why not give it a bigger hit die? d10 or even d12?

Pretty cool though.
On Manifesting blood, if you have 15 or more ranks in more than one, do you get more than one special power?

Also, you might want to specify somewhere that it's a Prestige Class. XD